Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #1
dpg

Default WaveRunner Search

Daughter's hell bent on getting a new Wave Runner in the next couple months (her first one.) Any suggestions where to take her looking around the Moultonborough area? Will be stopping in at Desilvas anybody else for fair, honest "shopping?" Want to ask some questions with her and get some good straight forward help. Is the large dealer still located at exit 20 beside KFC and Burger King? I believe their outta there??

Any first hand experience what to buy/not buy? I told her she wants to be looking at three person machines...

One last thing.....Do these dealerships "bicker" over the price like a car dealership or is the listed price what people pay??

I have my boating cert she knows she needs to get hers.

Thanks!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Heading4thelake

Default compare

I have a few Sea Doo 's and i always compare ! Dasiva's, H K Motorsports ,and Irwin in Alton.. They are all within 300.00 in price. So yes negotiate .. I always end up at Irwin because service is the best and that means eveything to me !
Good Luck !
Heading4thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heading4thelake For This Useful Post:
dpg (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
winterh

I've owned many PWC's over the years. I personally prefer the Seadoo's but Kawasaki and Yamaha make good ones to. Have bought from both Irwin and Dasilva. If your in Moultonboro Dasilva makes more sense. There is some room on prices but not as much as when buying a new car and I believe they can all match each others prices. I would absolutely recommend a 3 seater. The best time to buy is now. I was at Boat show last week and in addition to whatever deal you can get the manufacturers are offering extended 4 year warranties and rebates. You may not get that in a month or 2. This time of year you may find 2015 leftovers that can save you a few bucks.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
dpg (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
GTO

Default bicker

When I was looking, Irwin was not open to negotiating at all, even though they had 11 left over GTX's from the past summer. I got my GTX about this time of year at HK when they were at exit 20. Got a great deal. But since they closed there, I had found that the service at the HK in Laconia sucked. Try Dasilva. Bought my 2 skimobiles there last year and they gave me a break on the machines and the trailer. After you make the deal, work on a deal on the cover, even if you get it at cost its a good deal
dpg (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I've owned many PWC's over the years. I personally prefer the Seadoo's but Kawasaki and Yamaha make good ones to. Have bought from both Irwin and Dasilva. If your in Moultonboro Dasilva makes more sense. There is some room on prices but not as much as when buying a new car and I believe they can all match each others prices. I would absolutely recommend a 3 seater. The best time to buy is now. I was at Boat show last week and in addition to whatever deal you can get the manufacturers are offering extended 4 year warranties and rebates. You may not get that in a month or 2. This time of year you may find 2015 leftovers that can save you a few bucks.
What do you like about Seadoo's?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Not sure where your place is on the lake, but Chuck's service is excellent and he will go out of his way to help you even in the height of the season.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
GTO (02-29-2016), mhtranger (03-03-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
JasonG

I have to give irwin a lot of credit and would use them again.

A few years back I had my sea doo die on me under warranty. Took it to a dealer close to me. They told me it was my fault and there was no warranty coverage. Brought it to irwin who diagnosed it as a warranty issue fast and repaired in a reasonable amount of time.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
winterh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
What do you like about Seadoo's?
I am no expert on engines or anything like that but I have found them to be pretty much bulletproof. My 3 boys and many guests have beat the hell out of them over the years and they have held up very well. Some minimal maintenance but no big issues. I like the design or looks a bit better than other manufacturers but thats not real important. I would say it is more important to pick the right level of machine for what you like to do. Performance vs luxury vs wake sports.... Seadoo, Kawasaki, Yamaha they all make nice machines from my experience.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
dpg (02-29-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #9
ITD

See Chuck at Dasilva. Buy a lift for the PWC also if you keep it on the water and cover it when not in use, I cover mine at the end of the day. I have one that is 16 years old and it still runs like new, Seadoo.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
See Chuck at Dasilva. Buy a lift for the PWC also if you keep it on the water and cover it when not in use, I cover mine at the end of the day. I have one that is 16 years old and it still runs like new, Seadoo.
Thanks - not on the water so no lift required. We'll be up to look sometime in March. The machine will be able to be garaged but for the cost of a cover it's money well spent I'm sure.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
ITD

Quote:
Thanks - not on the water so no lift required. We'll be up to look sometime in March. The machine will be able to be garaged but for the cost of a cover it's money well spent I'm sure.
Just keep it out of the weather, the sun does the most damage and they really aren't meant to be left in the water. Don't know if you've checked them out yet, but they have become very pricey, part of the reason I have kept mine so long. The new ones look nice, especially with the suspension, which my aging back could probably use. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #12
Greene's Basin Girl

I have had the same Seadoo on Lake Winnipesaukee since 2002. It is still in great shape. I find it very difficult to cover it when it is in the water. The only problem I have is that the console had water penetrate in it. I replaced the console and then I had a special cover made. It covers the console. All is good!!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So I thought I would chime in here....

DaSilva Motorsport seems to be reasonable... Although I have not used them for service, they have been very responsive, when I go to them with questions... And then well if you are in Moultonborough they are local....

As for leaving a jetski in the water, I have been doing it for 5 years now, with out a problem, other then when someone comes to visit I have to move it from the dock to a mooring just off shore.....

On covers they help, I wouldn't call them mandatory though, but if I was buying new from a dealer, I would make them give it to me as part of the deal.

Now onto trailers.... I wouldn't buy one new, with out looking around first. Lots of single place jet ski trailers can be found second hand....

Now on to models... well getting the turbo charged units get quite expensive, if you stay more reasonable, and get the natural asperated engines, they come down... The issue is they don't have all the bells and whistles.... or as much power.... I have a GTI 155 from Seadoo, and well it has all the power you really need... Even with myself and both my boys, on the machine, last summer I was able to go beyond the speed limit...and get on plane in a snap.... Last Seadoo has developed the spark line, which is meant to be an introductory model.... I don't know anyone that has one, but they might be worth looking at, especially if you daughter might change her mind in a year or too.... because if she really likes it she can look at moving up to another model....
Old 03-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So I thought I would chime in here....

DaSilva Motorsport seems to be reasonable... Although I have not used them for service, they have been very responsive, when I go to them with questions... And then well if you are in Moultonborough they are local....

As for leaving a jetski in the water, I have been doing it for 5 years now, with out a problem, other then when someone comes to visit I have to move it from the dock to a mooring just off shore.....

On covers they help, I wouldn't call them mandatory though, but if I was buying new from a dealer, I would make them give it to me as part of the deal.

Now onto trailers.... I wouldn't buy one new, with out looking around first. Lots of single place jet ski trailers can be found second hand....

Now on to models... well getting the turbo charged units get quite expensive, if you stay more reasonable, and get the natural asperated engines, they come down... The issue is they don't have all the bells and whistles.... or as much power.... I have a GTI 155 from Seadoo, and well it has all the power you really need... Even with myself and both my boys, on the machine, last summer I was able to go beyond the speed limit...and get on plane in a snap.... Last Seadoo has developed the spark line, which is meant to be an introductory model.... I don't know anyone that has one, but they might be worth looking at, especially if you daughter might change her mind in a year or too.... because if she really likes it she can look at moving up to another model....
Thanks all great thoughts and I've read everyone. We haven't looked yet although she's talking about heading up there in a week or two she will "putt" around looking although she wants to look and probably buy with me present. I'm trying to lean her towards a decent "middle of the line" machine something she won't be tired of two seasons from now. I hear you about moving up but personally I'd rather just see her make this purchase once, be happy with it and keep it awhile. Sounding like Sea-Doo is the machine to lean towards.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #15
jogator1

Default Chuck at Dasilva's

I have had great experiences with Chuck at Dasilva's. He is honest and reliable. I have dealt with him multiple times with wave runners and snowmobiles. I would highly recommend you considering Dasilva's in Moultonborough.
jogator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
codeman671

After owning many over the years, I would go Yamaha over Sea Doo. I just find them to me more reliable.

If you are buying new and looking to save money, I would suggest Ebay. I have bought machines from different parts of the country from dealers looking to blow out leftovers dirt cheap, with full factory warranty. Even with transport (keep in mind gas is dirt cheap so it doesn't cost much to move one), I have saved a lot of money.

One time I bought a machine out of the midwest and found a moving company (The Country Picker out of North Conway via Uship) to throw it trailer and all in the back of their moving van on a return trip from a long distance move and deliver it to me for a few hundred $$$. It was found money for them, they were returning empty anyhow.

As far as warranty/service, I have never had problems with a local dealer handling service work. They still get paid the same from the manufacturer to do warranty repair if its their machine or not.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
dpg (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

I have had both a Yamaha and a Sea Doo and I also preferred the Yamaha. The Yamaha was very reliable, quiet and scary powerful!! That's not to say the Sea Doo wasn't a good / great machine, I just preferred the Yamaha...

Dan
Old 03-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Definately a Yamaha lover here also. Flawless operation of 2 pwc's for 10 years. They have a great reputation for reliability. Most pwc rental places I've seen all have Yamaha which says something to me.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #19
GusMan

Default Pwc

Not an expert by any means, but I *love* my pair of Sea Doo RX215s. I bought them used as a pair on a double trailer and could not be more pleased. They are scary fast!

I'm sure the Yamahas are great too (isn't everything made by Yamaha?) but I HATE that silly vertical water spray... whatever it's supposed to be... Not so much fun on a cool, windy day!

Cheers....

Walter
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #20
Island Girl

Default SeaDoo GTX or Wakeboard

The SeaDoo's have a huge compartment in front. Perfect for grocery shopping, hardware stops, etc. It hold a lot.

We have two of them and they go everywhere without that silly spray getting the person behind wet. On the other hand, you can see a Yamaha a mile away!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
Lakewinn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogator1 View Post
I have had great experiences with Chuck at Dasilva's. He is honest and reliable. I have dealt with him multiple times with wave runners and snowmobiles. I would highly recommend you considering Dasilva's in Moultonborough.
Chuck is great and will give you a good reasonable deal. I have purchased two Seadoo's and two snowmobiles from Chuck and I will go there again and again. Additionally I have used their service department and have been equally pleased.
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #22
feb

Default Yamaha Spout

The vertical spout from a Yamaha is nice when you're trying to tell which jetski your kids are on from far away. But it can be easily disconnected with screwdriver and left to just flop around under water.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #23
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
The vertical spout from a Yamaha is nice when you're trying to tell which jetski your kids are on from far away. But it can be easily disconnected with screwdriver and left to just flop around under water.
I took the hose down and put a plug inside it (any stainless bolt will do) and put it back on the fitting. I did not like the idea of having something flopping around.

I have had both Yamaha's and SeaDoo's and at this point I think the Yamaha's are the best. I am currently on my fourth (and fifth) Yamaha and they are great. I have use HK Powersports in Laconia for purchases and service and I could not be happier with them. My Yamaha's are actually winter stored with HK now.

If you look at the jet ski rental places, both on Winnipesaukee and elsewhere you will notice they primarily use Yamaha's. That should tell you something about their reliability.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #24
stynx55

Yamaha fx 140 cruisers are bullet proof if you can find them. 140 horsepower without a supercharger, good for about 55 mph. I bought one based on my buddy who is a mechanic at a dealer. The non supercharged Yamaha's seem to run forever as long as basic maintenance has been performed
stynx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stynx55 View Post
Yamaha fx 140 cruisers are bullet proof if you can find them. 140 horsepower without a supercharger, good for about 55 mph. I bought one based on my buddy who is a mechanic at a dealer. The non supercharged Yamaha's seem to run forever as long as basic maintenance has been performed
I have an FX cruiser HO and it has been flawless. As to the water stream "flag", I threw a $2 ball valve inline so it could be used if one wanted to. Very easy to disable.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #26
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I have an FX cruiser HO and it has been flawless. As to the water stream "flag", I threw a $2 ball valve inline so it could be used if one wanted to. Very easy to disable.
I never disabled mine. I always found it fun to shoot people on my dock or swim raft with it

I had 2 SHO Cruisers, both were great. My favorite machines. I had a full race GP1200R at one point, that ran 75 on gps. Awesome machine too!

My only Sea Doo was an RXT-X. Decent, but not my favorite. The whole DESS key thing always bugged me. At one point I lost it (blew out of my boat clipped to a life jacket), so I had to bring the machine back to land on the training key, then trailer it to the dealer to have a new one made. PITA.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #27
Marauder

Quote:
Thanks all great thoughts and I've read everyone. We haven't looked yet although she's talking about heading up there in a week or two she will "putt" around looking although she wants to look and probably buy with me present. I'm trying to lean her towards a decent "middle of the line" machine something she won't be tired of two seasons from now. I hear you about moving up but personally I'd rather just see her make this purchase once, be happy with it and keep it awhile. Sounding like Sea-Doo is the machine to lean towards.
DaSilva's has been great to us here in Meredith over the years. I have a 3-seater 1997 and their mechanics keep it in great condition. Best of luck! Enjoy now while you can! Life is short.
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #28
Shreddy

Another vote for DaSilva. Chuck is great to work with and so is Jim. The head mechanic, Joe, is top notch. Their turnaround time on service is extremely quick too. I have a 2011 RXTX 260...If you want to know what fast is, then consider this model
Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #29
dpg

Done and bought!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #30
ITD

Quote:
Done and bought!
What, no details?!!!!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #31
Winnisquamer

Pics or it never happened.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #32
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
What, no details?!!!!
SeaDoo GTR215
Old 03-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #33
dpg

No good pics yet, it isn't even picked up yet!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #34
Dave M

Default 3-seater

Since previously mentioned, buy a 3-seater. Make sure it measures 13 feet.
Unless NH rules have changed its considered a boat. The advantage is you
can use it on Squam Lake.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #35
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Since previously mentioned, buy a 3-seater. Make sure it measures 13 feet.
Unless NH rules have changed its considered a boat. The advantage is you
can use it on Squam Lake.

Dave M
Are you sure your correct on your 13 ft measurement? What we got is a three passenger but I'm not aware of any Sea Doo models that measure 13 feet. The larger one than ours is right around 139 inches or 11.5 feet. Ours I believe is 132.6 inches or 11 feet. 13 feet sounds AWEFUL large???
Old 03-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #36
chipj29

Quote:
Are you sure your correct on your 13 ft measurement? What we got is a three passenger but I'm not aware of any Sea Doo models that measure 13 feet. The larger one than ours is right around 139 inches or 11.5 feet. Ours I believe is 132.6 inches or 11 feet. 13 feet sounds AWEFUL large???
Yeah, in NH, a PWC is not always a ski craft.
NH considers a ski craft to be less than 13' AND has the capability to exceed 20 MPH AND can carry 2 or fewer persons. So a 10' PWC that can go over 20 MPH, and has 3 or more seats, it is considered a boat. It is the number of seats that makes your 3-seat PWC a boat.

https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire...101_700056581/
Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #37
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Yeah, in NH, a PWC is not always a ski craft.
NH considers a ski craft to be less than 13' AND has the capability to exceed 20 MPH AND can carry 2 or fewer persons. So a 10' PWC that can go over 20 MPH, and has 3 or more seats, it is considered a boat. It is the number of seats that makes your 3-seat PWC a boat.

https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire...101_700056581/
Thanks the way I read Dave's post I took it as him meaning be sure we got a 13 foot Sea Doo which there isn't...