Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
codeman671

Default Camp in Meredith

We haven't been in years, but decided to give it a shot Sunday when we couldn't get a decent reservation time at Giuseppe's.

Overall we were a bit disappointed and won't rush back. It was extremely loud and hard to hold a conversation. The tables were packed in extremely tight and the tables next to us were a large party that was raging! We asked to be reseated to one of the empty tables but were not accommodated- instead they brought in other parties 5-10 minutes later and filled them while we looked on. They easily could have moved us and put a new party in our spot. When they finally left things quieted down a bit, but in came another large party with obnoxious kids that couldn't stay in their seats. Had there been a bit better table spacing it may not have been so bad.

On to the food. The nachos were terrible- burnt chips, no extra cheese as requested, cold beef in the bottom of the box it is served in. The stack of rings was good, but very greasy. The medium rare burger was well done. The campfire steaks weren't bad and the chicken was small but quite good. Desserts looked good but we didn't partake.

The table spacing and the obnoxious patrons were the biggest turnoff of all for us. Can't recall the last time I was in a restaurant and was surrounded with such clientele.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
John Mercier

To be fair the CAMP is a family restaurant. Children can be a bit restless.
The businesses, not only for profit but also hospitality, are trying to move customers through and tend to be a bit overcrowded and overworked - I hate that excuse, but management has not adapted to the new norm.

That creates some of the problem, and then adults with less respect for others around them is becoming contagious. "Noblesse Oblige" is encountered much less often than "Live Free or Die" during this cycle.

You may want to give the operation a chance at some future date that the cycle winds down. Just my thoughts.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
Woody38

Haven't been to Camp for several years. As stated it was so noisy conversation was inaudible. Drinks took forever to come and then were wrong. No apology.
Food was so-so. One family came in with children and they were so good they were never noticed. I for one will not go back under any circumstance.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
winniwannabe

It's sad to see the disrespect that some groups/families have when dining out,
or boating. Rude behavior has become an accepted norm everywhere. I for one, when I vacation on Winnisquam will enjoy take-out from the area restaurants. I do my part to generate income for the establishments, but cannot tolerate unruly behavior from patrons and management.
winniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniwannabe View Post
It's sad to see the disrespect that some groups/families have when dining out,

or boating. Rude behavior has become an accepted norm everywhere. I for one, when I vacation on Winnisquam will enjoy take-out from the area restaurants. I do my part to generate income for the establishments, but cannot tolerate unruly behavior from patrons and management.
Having two children myself, I totally agree. It's not uncommon for me to cringe when seeing some of the stuff parents let their children do at restaurants. That being said, I've also seen many adults behaving questionably, but that's another discussion.

As for Camp, I think it's tough for them because they don't have much area and need to move people through to make money—we noticed this through server body language the last few times we were there. That, in addition to the above-mentioned issues and table distance, definitely creates an issue sometimes...even for me with my kids (we're a well-behaved bunch).

The food is generally good, not great, and the prices are a bit high, so we don't go often, but once in a while we're in the mood for something different.

I'll end with a note that their current "colossal peanut butter whoopee pie" is not very colossal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #6
John Mercier

I generally ''forgive'' children for behaving like children when in a place I expect children to be... so the CAMP would be included.

Also, the movement of customers through the process is actually less about any of our businesses making money... it is more about not being considered ''rude'' to those waiting in line.

We feel extreme pressure to get to the next customer that is waiting.
It isn't something we are used to, as our upbringing teaches us to make lasting relationships with customers... something very hard to do under a time constraint.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
WinnisquamZ

Same can be said for all the common man establishments. Staff is ok. Food is ok. Seating is always too tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
burgerunh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Same can be said for all the common man establishments. Staff is ok. Food is ok. Seating is always too tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I couldn't agree more!!! Common Man is OK. Not great and not bad. Pricey and OK.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I love Lago's and the Italian Farmhouse but the rest are just meh, not a fan of The Camp.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-29-2021), Jeanzb1 (07-29-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:11 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
We haven't been in years, but decided to give it a shot Sunday when we couldn't get a decent reservation time at Giuseppe's.

Overall we were a bit disappointed and won't rush back. It was extremely loud and hard to hold a conversation. The tables were packed in extremely tight and the tables next to us were a large party that was raging! We asked to be reseated to one of the empty tables but were not accommodated- instead they brought in other parties 5-10 minutes later and filled them while we looked on. They easily could have moved us and put a new party in our spot. When they finally left things quieted down a bit, but in came another large party with obnoxious kids that couldn't stay in their seats. Had there been a bit better table spacing it may not have been so bad.

On to the food. The nachos were terrible- burnt chips, no extra cheese as requested, cold beef in the bottom of the box it is served in. The stack of rings was good, but very greasy. The medium rare burger was well done. The campfire steaks weren't bad and the chicken was small but quite good. Desserts looked good but we didn't partake.

The table spacing and the obnoxious patrons were the biggest turnoff of all for us. Can't recall the last time I was in a restaurant and was surrounded with such clientele.
I think what you found is what Camp is intended to be: like camp.
I'm sorry to hear this report. My daughter and my niece both loved Camp, so we tried to go at least once a year. Their kids (10-18) still like it, but they like, for a contrast, Osterio Poggio (sp?) and Mis en Place. Why don't they want to go for pizza? Not going out much last year (Pandemic) we sort of lost the habit and cook more at home. Much disappointment that on the last few tries, even a few days ahead, we were unable to get reservations at the Lyons Den.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #11
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think what you found is what Camp is intended to be: like camp.
I'm sorry to hear this report. My daughter and my niece both loved Camp, so we tried to go at least once a year. Their kids (10-18) still like it, but they like, for a contrast, Osterio Poggio (sp?) and Mis en Place. Why don't they want to go for pizza? Not going out much last year (Pandemic) we sort of lost the habit and cook more at home. Much disappointment that on the last few tries, even a few days ahead, we were unable to get reservations at the Lyons Den.
Yes! Camp is like camp! All 3 of these restaurants are great--we need to appreciate things for what they are. My favorite meals at Camp have been with groups--a round or two of drinks with their awesome flatbread, followed by some sort of camp-ish comfort food.

Kudos to your family for their eclectic taste--I love that the kids prefer fancier places than the adults
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-28-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #12
LikeLakes

I have not been impressed by Camp. Way too loud, not just because it's a family place, I think they needed to address the layout and acoustics. Food is fair.

I disagree on Common Man properties in general. I very much enjoy them, think the food is reliably excellent and appreciate the interesting bar settings in places like Ashland, Plymouth, and Concord. Love the lobster corn chowder!
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote