Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
pmj

Default who polices town docks?

I am wondering who's in charge, if anyone, of policing town docks that have an hourly limit on dockage times. It irks me when I see the same boat day after day, changing fingers on the dock and staying the night. I understand that someone may be on vacation and can't find temporarly dockage but since when is it ok to ignore this rule? Does the town just wait for a complaint or do they actually keep track?
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Skip

Post Town dock rules enforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj
I am wondering who's in charge, if anyone, of policing town docks that have an hourly limit on dockage times. It irks me when I see the same boat day after day, changing fingers on the dock and staying the night. I understand that someone may be on vacation and can't find temporarly dockage but since when is it ok to ignore this rule? Does the town just wait for a complaint or do they actually keep track?
State law empowers local communities to develop thier own rules & regulations for city/town supplied docks via the local government's ordinance process.

Therefore if the city or town has lawfully enacted an ordinance to regulate dockage they are also the entity responsible for enforcement of those policies.

Short answer, call the town hall of the community you are concerned with and ascertain the responsibility. You may find, as has been the case with the Wolfeboro situation, that the signage is courtesy in nature as no applicable town or city ordinance exists to allow actual enforcement.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Island Life

What town are these docks in? There is a town police presence at the Glendale Public docks during the day, usually two Gilford officers. I imagine it varies from town to town.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
pmj

well, I hate to say the town, but lets just say that those blasted webcams caught him on tape!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
Dave 35

Default Glendale Docks

All of the regulations posted at Glendale are by town ordinances and are often enforced with tickets given out. The problem is that the all night docking fine is only $25 so some people find it cheaper than a marina.
Dave 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
jrc

Last summer, I did see someone giving out tickets on the Meredith docks. Looked like the same people that collect for launching. Not a MP or MPD.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 35
All of the regulations posted at Glendale are by town ordinances and are often enforced with tickets given out. The problem is that the all night docking fine is only $25 so some people find it cheaper than a marina.
That's good to know...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
Weirs guy

I've often wondered why I see boats tied up at the Weirs town docks for several days in a row, now I guess I know.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Cal

I thought Alton Bay was allowing overnight docking . I've seen the same yellow and white Donzi almost every weekend (late nites and early mornings) all summer. He's not shy either. Usually right down in front of the camera. Maybe he uses the cam for his own security cam too
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
Alton Bay Resident

Well the Donzi is gone as of last night... however, the sailboat has been there 24/7. Had I known this I would not have paid for a wet slip rather simply just use the town docks
Alton Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
pmj

yeah, the sailboat is the one I noticed. Granted, I am very sailboat friendly but that sailboat was here last year this time as well. I remember it because of the unusual colors of the furled jib. It's just not right.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:41 AM   #12
GWC...

It's very neighborly of the shorefront taxpayers of Alton to supply the sailboat owner with a wet slip.

Nice situation, indeed...
Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
Islander

I have called the Meredith police about boats left at public docks. They come and give them a ticket. The tickets are cheaper than renting a slip, however they now tow your boat if you leave it there more than is reasonable. And getting your boat back costs a lot for towing and storage.

Instead of complaining here you people should make the call to the police.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #14
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
I thought Alton Bay was allowing overnight docking . I've seen the same yellow and white Donzi almost every weekend (late nites and early mornings) all summer. He's not shy either. Usually right down in front of the camera. Maybe he uses the cam for his own security cam too
What about the sail boat that changes it's location from one spot to the next every other day? Some times it is gone for a day or two and then back at it. The police drive through that area many times day and nite. May be it isn't their responsibility if there is a ruling in Alton?? Maybe he uses the cam for his own security cam too:Don't laugh, That could be exactly what he/she is doing
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote