Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
Hivolt

Default First boat buying experience left me feeling completely overwhelmed

And boatless...

Here's my story. I'm a very new boater, less than 60 hours behind the helm, I've spent the last 3 seasons doing a rental boat (20' BR) for the weekly stays I've had on Rattlesnake. My ultimate goal is to find a piece of island property.

I went in yesterday to look at a consignment 25' cabin cruiser that included a trailer with the intention (or hopes) that I could pay a storage fee and keep it there until I figured out the slip situation as my tow vehicle is a little too undersized (very naive, I know) with the hopes of possibly paying them a launch recover fee if I wanted to take it for a spin a couple times before the season is out. I was informed that they would make no such accommodation because it was a consignment sale, and they were really just doing this guy a favor by selling this and that if I was buying one of their new or used boats they would likely bend over backwards for me. I appreciated the brutal honesty and explained in more detail what my plans were and while I was waiting on the boat to be pulled I was informed a they could offer a slip elsewhere for 5k for the rest of the season and beyond.

Great slip, even though it require a parallel park which intimidates me,great location. But 5k I wasn't expecting to spend and no mechanic or shop on site which scared me as a novice boat owner. So I just bowed out entirely which they weren't pleased with and let me know it.

Long story short, I ended up with a million scenarios running through my head and just abandoned it completely.

My question to you experienced people is if you were in my situation with no family or friends on the lake, where would you start? Buying a slip is certainly in my future plans.

I apologize if this post seems all over the place but that's just where my mind is right now. I've never been so stressed spending a day on the lake...
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hivolt For This Useful Post:
belawinn (07-09-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

It sounds like you're putting the cart before the horse. Were it me, I'd continue to rent until I bought a place. Then, once I know where I'd be and my living situation, I'd buy the appropriate boat.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (07-08-2018), Hivolt (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivolt View Post
And boatless...

Here's my story. I'm a very new boater, less than 60 hours behind the helm, I've spent the last 3 seasons doing a rental boat (20' BR) for the weekly stays I've had on Rattlesnake. My ultimate goal is to find a piece of island property.

I went in yesterday to look at a consignment 25' cabin cruiser that included a trailer with the intention (or hopes) that I could pay a storage fee and keep it there until I figured out the slip situation as my tow vehicle is a little too undersized (very naive, I know) with the hopes of possibly paying them a launch recover fee if I wanted to take it for a spin a couple times before the season is out. I was informed that they would make no such accommodation because it was a consignment sale, and they were really just doing this guy a favor by selling this and that if I was buying one of their new or used boats they would likely bend over backwards for me. I appreciated the brutal honesty and explained in more detail what my plans were and while I was waiting on the boat to be pulled I was informed a they could offer a slip elsewhere for 5k for the rest of the season and beyond.

Great slip, even though it require a parallel park which intimidates me,great location. But 5k I wasn't expecting to spend and no mechanic or shop on site which scared me as a novice boat owner. So I just bowed out entirely which they weren't pleased with and let me know it.

Long story short, I ended up with a million scenarios running through my head and just abandoned it completely.

My question to you experienced people is if you were in my situation with no family or friends on the lake, where would you start? Buying a slip is certainly in my future plans.

I apologize if this post seems all over the place but that's just where my mind is right now. I've never been so stressed spending a day on the lake...
Sounds to me like you are nowhere near ready to jump into the realm of boat ownership and all that comes with it...
You keep saying “someday” but it sounds like you have no set plan in place.
Spending a lot of money is always stressful to some degree so welcome to the club on that...if you are “well off” (not like me) it wouldn’t matter so much as you could just write a check for whatever you want and let your accountant figure it out.
Sorry for the honesty and for your overwhelming experience!
Parallel parking a boat? I would think you’d need bow and stern thrusters or a docking crew to help with that!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

You really need to secure a boat slip or a rack for next season. Once you've got that then you should be able to get a great deal on a boat over the winter, new or used. There are plenty of boats but places to put them on the lake are scarce.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
Cal Coon

There are a lot of unanswered questions here. Is the boat a smoking deal you can't refuse? Then you want to get it before it's gone, even if you have to put it in storage or something. Are you paying all the money for it, then let it go and look for another deal down the road and maybe upgrade your tow vehicle in the meantime so you can at least bring a boat home when you do find one. That's another question, how far is home from the lake? You can always rent a truck if you live close enough to trailer, or if not, rent a truck once to bring home the new boat if you buy one before you have a place to put it on the lake. Many different scenarios to consider... I would continue to rent this season, (unless you find that smokin deal) and look to buy in the off season when you have a better chance of finding that better deal. Sounds to me like this place had no use for you unless you bought from them, in which case they just gave you no incentive to consider them for future purchases. Karma...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Seems unusual that they were "doing the guy a favor" to sell his boat. It would surprise me if they weren't getting at least 10% as a sales commission.

Since the average markup on new boats is in the 30 to 35% range it is no wonder they would rather have you buy a new boat.

Since the OP will need a mainland boat slip if the purchase of island property is in his future I would put things in a different order. Buy a boat slip in a marina such as Mountain View and then buy a boat with a cuddy cabin and spend weekends and vacations on the boat until you are ready for the purchase of island property. That way, when you are ready to buy your dream island house the other necessary things will already be in order.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Hivolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Seems unusual that they were "doing the guy a favor" to sell his boat. It would surprise me if they weren't getting at least 10% as a sales commission.

Since the average markup on new boats is in the 30 to 35% range it is no wonder they would rather have you buy a new boat.

Since the OP will need a mainland boat slip if the purchase of island property is in his future I would put things in a different order. Buy a boat slip in a marina such as Mountain View and then buy a boat with a cuddy cabin and spend weekends and vacations on the boat until you are ready for the purchase of island property. That way, when you are ready to buy your dream island house the other necessary things will already be in order.
Without a doubt TiltonBB, It seemed like "doing a favor" meant peddling a boat of a brand you do not carry.

That was the path I was on TiltonBB.

A. Upgrade the tow vehicle in case I want or have to move it.

B. Look for a slip I could buy that is somewhat central in the lake, buy a boat to fit the slip and vacation on it until the real estate market calms down. It's me, her and the dogs, We don't need much space.

Quote:
There are a lot of unanswered questions here. Is the boat a smoking deal you can't refuse? Then you want to get it before it's gone, even if you have to put it in storage or something. Are you paying all the money for it, then let it go and look for another deal down the road and maybe upgrade your tow vehicle in the meantime so you can at least bring a boat home when you do find one. That's another question, how far is home from the lake? You can always rent a truck if you live close enough to trailer, or if not, rent a truck once to bring home the new boat if you buy one before you have a place to put it on the lake. Many different scenarios to consider... I would continue to rent this season, (unless you find that smokin deal) and look to buy in the off season when you have a better chance of finding that better deal. Sounds to me like this place had no use for you unless you bought from them, in which case they just gave you no incentive to consider them for future purchases. Karma...
It was a fair price for what is was, certainly not a smoking deal and not something I will regret. What bothered me most was the feeling I got that the shove away from the dock when the papers were signed would be where the service stopped.

I understand their perspective though that it's a boom time, the season is very short and there's simply more money to be made by pushing their product.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Poor Richard

Sorta off topic....

Do you have someone helping you evaluate the boats you're interested in? The way your posts read (to me at least), with what is seemingly a limited set of mechanical skills, you may have unknowingly dodged a bullet in the off chance this marina was trying dump a turd on you. Your description of the sales team demeanor, the comment about having that feeling that there wouldn't be support after the sale, etc.

Maybe thank your lucky stars instead of stressing!

Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
kawishiwi

Default Wisdom is often hard won

Kudos to you for pulling the plug on the deal at only the cost of a slightly damaged relationship with the boat dealer.
Buying a slip before you know where your on lake home will be sounds very risky.
The one great lesson you needed was in the difference between consignment vs in house sales.
Having an ally on the lake who will be on your team regarding your boat & service is a great thing which you get if you buy from a dealer.
I have both my boat dealer and a separate marina, associated with my slip location, "on my team" and that has been invaluable many times in less than 4 years already.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Turnover

I agree that knowing where you want to end up is a key point in what you buy and where you'll store it winter and summer. I have a neighbor who does winter storage in his yard, 29' boat. He pays somebody to move it at each end of the season. Much cheaper and easier than buying a bigger truck, and they winterize it too. Depending on boat size, many marinas offer year round plans, especially for valet. A good plan for somebody starting out with out a clear plan for future geographic needs. Yes, if you want to liveaboard for some weekends, a marina/slip rental is a better plan. Sign up now for 2019.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:43 AM   #11
Barney Bear

Default Additional Recommendation

There are several threads on this forum that pertain to island living. Suggest that you review these to learn about the pros and cons about this lifestyle. First, one should be comfortable operating a boat in a variety of weather conditions. Also, all family members should " buy in" to this idea. We have had neighbors whose partners disliked this lifestyle. However, there are many of us who have been here for years, sharing this great adventure with several generations. This month, three generations will be enjoying island life, having grown up visiting our place on East Bear Island. The first of the fourth generation will also be here, but, alas, will have to wait to see it. ��
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 AM   #12
The Real BigGuy

My first thought was why a 25 ft cabin cruiser for your first buy? Why not something smaller that you can trailer behind your current vehicle? Seems like an expensive option for “a couple of spins for the rest of the season.” You said you didn’t have family or friends on the lake. Remember, you can’t overnight in your cruiser at a public dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

As you know island properties have a very slow turnover rate so finding something that is right for you may take a while. When you finally find the property that location will influence size/type of boat and target mainland docking areas. With a camp on Lockes a smaller boat may be fine. A camp further out will point to a larger boat and one that can be closed in on foul weather days.

On occasion someone selling an island camp will also have a mainland slip for sale.

For Gilford islands you can launch at Glendale and park you tow vehicle with trailer in the upper lot. Also Dave's Motor Boat Shoppe may be able to provide valet service.

Anyway a few things point to continuing to rent pending finding a property as others have said.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #14
The Real BigGuy

Well, that posted before I was ready . . .

What I was long windedly working towards was why not get something you can trailer, potentially leave on the trailer at a marina, and day trip until you find a slip you can rent or buy. I rented a slip(s) for 10 yrs for my 18 ft cuddly cabin (mid 80’s -90’s) and spent Friday & sat nights on it (we ate out at night and bought deli sandwiches for lunch) before we bought a place. We even spent some weekends with our infant daughter between us in the cuddly being gently rocked to sleep by the waves.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
Rich

HiVolt,

I know exactly how you feel. I believe that I even know the dealer that you were working with, and I probably even know the parallel parking slip that they wanted to rent to you.

I had the same issues with them when buying my first and second boat from them. When you start shopping with them, they tell how much you will love doing business with them, as they always take care of their customers....

…. but then when you find a boat that you want from them and start getting into the details of the sale, oops, that's when their story changes as 'unfortunately" it's a consignment boat, so now they can't/won't do A, B, C, D and E, if you want F, G, H and I, they can do it, but it will cost you extra! Of course, all these things were mentioned up front as some of the free wonderful services that they said you would enjoy as a customer of theirs (sound familiar??).

Somehow they like to tell you that they are doing the person a favor by trying to sell a consignment boat to you. And all those pre-sales promises are withdrawn. After talking to them about selling my first boat, which they sold to me, they charge a considerable consignment fee. So it's not a favor at all! I sold my first boat myself, and pocketed their 'favor' into my bank account to help fun the next boat.

I could tell you a lot of stories about the deal and the crappy sales person that handled it (he's since no longer working there). I was considering walking away from the deal several times due to his lies, misrepresentations and broken promises. After emailing and talking to the management, they didn't even take the time to respond to me. The only person that was half decent at the time was their service manager.

People who buy a new boat from them tend to love them, but I've heard horror stories too, so you may be smarter to find a new dealer.

Unfortunately, at the lake there is a limited supply of dealers, and they know it. Lots of people have good luck buying elsewhere, even after factoring in the price of transporting a boat to the lake.

There's also a limited supply of slips on the lake right now, and as the size of the boat goes up, the number of available slips goes down. If you have a 21 foot or smaller boat, almost every slip on the lake can accommodate you, once you get to 25 foot or larger, the number of slips goes down considerably.

If you're dead set on a boat of this size (which I think is a good size for the lake, 25 ft or larger, my first was 27ft), then start now looking for a slip while you're shopping for a boat.

Don't give up, I'm sure you'll find what you want.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
jazzman

If your long term goal is island living, a cabin cruiser isn't ideal. You'll find yourself lugging around furniture, lumber, garbage etc. I find a 24-26' bow rider with storm canvas to work best on an island. You'll also eventually want the closest possible slip to your island location. You sure don't want to have to cross open water when you arrive at dusk on a Friday night
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
Phantom

HiVolt -

Not sure exactly what you are after ,,,,, But I believe this can be a two for one -- boat & possible slip. I know for a fact that the boat is PRISTINE! (no I am not the seller)

But as Jazzman say's -- not an island boat !

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...?do=ad&id=9487

Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #18
Descant

Default Boat Club

A boat club might have some advantages. You get to use a variety of boats without worrying about the in and out costs of moving from one boat to another. You can take it for a week if you rent someplace or get a different boat if you want to go skiing/tubing one day and take out a family group. Not renting a place? Operate out of the club docks. These folks often sell their rentals at the end of the season with good pricing.

https://www.lakesregion.org/american-boat-club-of-nh/
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
If your long term goal is island living, a cabin cruiser isn't ideal. You'll find yourself lugging around furniture, lumber, garbage etc. I find a 24-26' bow rider with storm canvas to work best on an island. You'll also eventually want the closest possible slip to your island location. You sure don't want to have to cross open water when you arrive at dusk on a Friday night
Like some one else mentioned, I think he's putting the cart before the horse. In times like these I think you really need to secure a spot for the boat unless it's towable.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #20
SAB1

Don't buy a slip until you know what island your going to settle into. Your slip purchase could end up being to far from your potential camp. Also, depending on where you slip the boat, some places with slips could have size limitations on the boat.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #21
noreast

All good advise, I don't mean this as a criticism, but I would really work on the whole plan before buying the boat. You don't want to have to buy twice. You could lose a ton of money. Like others said the only reason for the Cabin cruiser would be to live at your slip, I would think you'd sell it when you buy the property, Unless it's an enclosed helm, all weather work horse.

Last edited by noreast; 07-09-2018 at 05:36 PM. Reason: awful spelling
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
Descant

Default cruiser vs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
All good advise, I don't mean this as a criticism, but I would really work on the whole plan before buying the boat. You don't want to have to buy twice. You could loose a ton of money. Like others said the only reason for the Cabin cruiser would be to live at your slip, I would think you'd sell it when you buy the property, Unless it's an enclosed helm, all weather work horse.
We have always had a cabin cruiser, or at least something with a large cuddy. and a head. Great for all-weather and keeping personal item locked and or out of sight at public docks. We lived on the boat while we were building instead of a tent which many others did. The cabin cruiser serves as a guest house far cheaper on taxes than building bigger or additional structure. Guests love the "adventure" of sleeping on the boat. Sometimes, it's nice to visit friends overnight and saty over without intruding on their home. If you borrow money to buy a boat, sleeping accommodations and a head qualify as a "residence/second home" so the interest on the loan is tax deductible. I could go on... Or, I could tell you why I don't like... whatever. It's a personal choice, based on personal experience, hence my earlier recommendation about looking into a boat club for a broad range of experience.
I have no problem buying (or a club) boat first. If you and family don't love boating, the likelihood of loving an island is slim.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #23
Hivolt

Thanks for all the great replies and none of it was taken as criticism, this is exactly why I posted this. The moment "it got real" in the showroom was the moment I knew I had ZERO idea what I was getting into along with ZERO plan and I think I would've regretted they way I went about it if I went through.

Quote:
Sorta off topic....

Do you have someone helping you evaluate the boats you're interested in? The way your posts read (to me at least), with what is seemingly a limited set of mechanical skills, you may have unknowingly dodged a bullet in the off chance this marina was trying dump a turd on you. Your description of the sales team demeanor, the comment about having that feeling that there wouldn't be support after the sale, etc.

Maybe thank your lucky stars instead of stressing!
I did not. I had spent about a month reading up on what to look for in a used boat and made a long checklist. Still not a replacement for having a real survey done but I felt confident that I had ruled out any major problems with the boat. My set of mechanical skills are actually very strong but my time can become very limited at a moments notice involving work so strong dealer support was something I was looking for if I had issues but couldn't make it to the lake to resolve them in person.

Quote:
My first thought was why a 25 ft cabin cruiser for your first buy? Why not something smaller that you can trailer behind your current vehicle? Seems like an expensive option for “a couple of spins for the rest of the season.” You said you didn’t have family or friends on the lake. Remember, you can’t overnight in your cruiser at a public dock.

My intention with this was as an intermediate solution to spending weekends at the lake when I wasn't renting a place. This of course involved a slip which I was aware of but wasn't planning on it this season. I was hoping to be able to store it for a fee the rest of the season and figure out the slip situation over the winter.

Quote:
HiVolt,

I know exactly how you feel. I believe that I even know the dealer that you were working with, and I probably even know the parallel parking slip that they wanted to rent to you.

I had the same issues with them when buying my first and second boat from them. When you start shopping with them, they tell how much you will love doing business with them, as they always take care of their customers....

…. but then when you find a boat that you want from them and start getting into the details of the sale, oops, that's when their story changes as 'unfortunately" it's a consignment boat, so now they can't/won't do A, B, C, D and E, if you want F, G, H and I, they can do it, but it will cost you extra! Of course, all these things were mentioned up front as some of the free wonderful services that they said you would enjoy as a customer of theirs (sound familiar??).

Somehow they like to tell you that they are doing the person a favor by trying to sell a consignment boat to you. And all those pre-sales promises are withdrawn. After talking to them about selling my first boat, which they sold to me, they charge a considerable consignment fee. So it's not a favor at all! I sold my first boat myself, and pocketed their 'favor' into my bank account to help fun the next boat.

I could tell you a lot of stories about the deal and the crappy sales person that handled it (he's since no longer working there). I was considering walking away from the deal several times due to his lies, misrepresentations and broken promises. After emailing and talking to the management, they didn't even take the time to respond to me. The only person that was half decent at the time was their service manager.

People who buy a new boat from them tend to love them, but I've heard horror stories too, so you may be smarter to find a new dealer.

Unfortunately, at the lake there is a limited supply of dealers, and they know it. Lots of people have good luck buying elsewhere, even after factoring in the price of transporting a boat to the lake.

There's also a limited supply of slips on the lake right now, and as the size of the boat goes up, the number of available slips goes down. If you have a 21 foot or smaller boat, almost every slip on the lake can accommodate you, once you get to 25 foot or larger, the number of slips goes down considerably.

If you're dead set on a boat of this size (which I think is a good size for the lake, 25 ft or larger, my first was 27ft), then start now looking for a slip while you're shopping for a boat.

Don't give up, I'm sure you'll find what you want.
It was a gut wrenching feeling when they are talking to you like this consignment is a waste if their time even with probably collecting 10-11%, if they felt that way before the sale was complete I couldn't even imagine what it would be like if you really needed them later on. Especially being green like I am. After discussing things with the wife I think we will probably start looking for a slip in the Gilford area, maybe MVYC before we pull the trigger on a boat. A marina that is somewhat central to the western part of the lake with easy access for me coming from the Spaulding.

Quote:

My plan if an island property came available was to have my own small pontoon work barge just for said reasons, as wasteful as that may seem....My neighbors would probably love me though.

Quote:
HiVolt -

Not sure exactly what you are after ,,,,, But I believe this can be a two for one -- boat & possible slip. I know for a fact that the boat is PRISTINE! (no I am not the seller)

But as Jazzman say's -- not an island boat !

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...?do=ad&id=9487
That's very nice, tell him to wait until the spring to sell it .

Quote:
A boat club might have some advantages. You get to use a variety of boats without worrying about the in and out costs of moving from one boat to another. You can take it for a week if you rent someplace or get a different boat if you want to go skiing/tubing one day and take out a family group. Not renting a place? Operate out of the club docks. These folks often sell their rentals at the end of the season with good pricing.

https://www.lakesregion.org/american-boat-club-of-nh/
The story of my life around the lake seems to be of almost pulling the trigger. I was in conversation with Kurt before the start of last season and I came very close to signing up but I just didn't think I would make it up there enough last summer to warrant the price as we were moving into a new house. However If I cannot obtain a slip They make a strong case and check a lot of my boxes.

Quote:
Don't buy a slip until you know what island your going to settle into. Your slip purchase could end up being to far from your potential camp. Also, depending on where you slip the boat, some places with slips could have size limitations on the boat.
I would likely buy a large slip, something capable of accomodating a 36' or greater boat

Quote:
All good advise, I don't mean this as a criticism, but I would really work on the whole plan before buying the boat. You don't want to have to buy twice. You could loose a ton of money. Like others said the only reason for the Cabin cruiser would be to live at your slip, I would think you'd sell it when you buy the property, Unless it's an enclosed helm, all weather work horse.
no criticism taken. My intentions have been to live aboard the boat when I found a slip, and if by enclosed helm you mean camper canvas then yes my intentions were to buy a boat with a helm I could enclose.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #24
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We have always had a cabin cruiser, or at least something with a large cuddy. and a head. Great for all-weather and keeping personal item locked and or out of sight at public docks. We lived on the boat while we were building instead of a tent which many others did. The cabin cruiser serves as a guest house far cheaper on taxes than building bigger or additional structure. Guests love the "adventure" of sleeping on the boat. Sometimes, it's nice to visit friends overnight and saty over without intruding on their home. If you borrow money to buy a boat, sleeping accommodations and a head qualify as a "residence/second home" so the interest on the loan is tax deductible. I could go on... Or, I could tell you why I don't like... whatever. It's a personal choice, based on personal experience, hence my earlier recommendation about looking into a boat club for a broad range of experience.
I have no problem buying (or a club) boat first. If you and family don't love boating, the likelihood of loving an island is slim.
I never thought of using one for guest sleeping, I use to love to sleep on ours so it makes perfect sense.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #25
The Real BigGuy

I wish you the best. Lake life is wonderful! Caution: a 36 ft slip is probably in the 80 to 100k range. My buddy @ MVYC said a buddy of his will sell his slip and older 36ft carver for 100k

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-09-2018), Hivolt (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #26
FlyingScot

Smile

I'm with The Real Big Guy--the complexity, difficulty, and limitations climb quickly as boat length increases. 25' is more difficult than 20' in about a hundred ways, and you don't really know half of them until you are experiencing them.

Simplicity=Happiness
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #27
Rinkerguy

I think you need to figure a few things out first.
You mentioned you were looking at island property, if so why look at cruisers?
You need a bow rider or cuddly to get to the island.

If you are going to an island, find the island, then secure rack storage close to the island. Lock in the home, then rack storage, then a boat... as bow riders or cuddly cabins are a dime a dozen on this lake

Good luck
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #28
Poor Richard

Thumbs up

Quote:
I did not. I had spent about a month reading up on what to look for in a used boat and made a long checklist. Still not a replacement for having a real survey done but I felt confident that I had ruled out any major problems with the boat. My set of mechanical skills are actually very strong but my time can become very limited at a moments notice involving work so strong dealer support was something I was looking for if I had issues but couldn't make it to the lake to resolve them in person.
Ahhhh...my mistake. I misinterpreted your concern about available repair techs as more of a shortage in your skillset. That being said, my survey comment was more due to my misinterpretation.

FWIW, I went down a similar path as you for my first (and only) boat with regards to a survey.

I did the research, understood specific things related to certain mfg's and went from there. I ended up with something I was very pleased with at a price point that I was comfortable with in the event it sank at the ramp.

I decided to forgo a sea trial since the seller was reluctant to dewinterize the boat and register both boat and trailer without a guarantee of a sale. We reached an understanding that I equally didn't have a guarantee the boat will float or move...hence the price point.

Anyway, on the day of the sale I went thru every square inch of that vessel, fired it up, checked out every possible thing I could and made the purchase. This boat was tight and right and had a spanking new short block and outdrive so I was pumped. And since I bought late in the season, we (my family and I) had a great Labor Day weekend on the water and started to become acquainted with our "friend ship" (as our daughter so aptly calls it) in addition to the countless experiences and memories the lie ahead.

Fast forward to that following Spring and what would be our 2nd time on my new to me boat. We were enjoying slight overcast, pounding thru whitecaps on the Broads and like 12 other boats on the entire lake. It was awesome! From Alton Bay up to Meredith and a quick loop through Moultonborough before heading home and our season had begun....or had it?

Of course, some folks say all good things come to an end and that day it certainly did. Our boating bliss ceased to be on hour 6 because, wouldn't you know it, the engine blows up....not without warning but still, the 2nd weekend on a basically brand new shortblock?

Details aside from the mechanic not properly torquing damn near anything (likely including the heads) this engine issue would not have been noticed or discovered by any survey specialist. Additionally, I would have been quite displeased if I paid someone $900 and the engine blows up on weekend 2. Either way, I can blame only myself.

To be perfectly honest, I did not anticipate writing all that, it just kinda happened however that is the story on my intro to boat ownership.

A rough start? Sure.

Frustrated is a word that comes to mind. There were other F words as well.....lots of them.

None of it mattered since those 6hrs were too good to give up on right away.

Last edited by Poor Richard; 07-09-2018 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Grammah
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #29
SAB1

My last comment, when you are ready to buy a boat, whether it's new or used, water test it and make sure like the ride. I know many who didn't do this and were not thrilled with what they bought.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #30
Descant

Default Personal opinions

This thread is getting way away from helpful thoughts into unrelated personal opinion. Time to back off, re-read the OP and then join in.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #31
radiocontester

Quote:
And boatless...

If interested, I'm about to list my 28' 2007 Four Winns V278 cabin cruiser for sale (I'm in the process of closing on a Formula 37PC cruiser). My boat is currently slipped on Winni......PM me for more info if interested. Thanks.
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #32
kawishiwi

Default What thread...

Quote:
This thread is getting way away from helpful thoughts into unrelated personal opinion. Time to back off, re-read the OP and then join in.
...are you reading? Please notice that the OP seems quite happy with the thread as defined by all of his comments and his "Thanks" given to posts.
Please go be the "Thread Police" somewhere else.
Hillcountry (07-10-2018), MRD (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:55 AM   #33
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Many threads on this site, and other sites, tend to wander.

However, I for one enjoy reading anything informative and find the numerous perspectives on how others would do something interesting. As long as there is something worth reading it doesn't really matter if it specifically responds to the original issue.

Any information or comments where there is something to be learned or an opportunity to see how other people think about an issue is beneficial.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
MRD (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 05:07 AM   #34
Hivolt

I appreciate everyone's opinion. It's potentially a lesson a don't have to learn the hard way.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #35
Dave R

Probably in the minority here, but to me, an ideal island boat would have a ton of deck space, few amenities (like fancy seating and carpet) to worry about, a VERY seaworthy hull, some weather protection, a self bailing cockpit and a newer outboard engine. After a few weeks of exploring the lake and realizing it's really not that big, the boat will become almost nothing more than a commuter vehicle to get to and from your island home, so why make it complicated? You'll have plenty of maintenance to do at the camp...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-10-2018), Hivolt (07-10-2018), noreast (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #36
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Probably in the minority here, but to me, an ideal island boat would have a ton of deck space, few amenities (like fancy seating and carpet) to worry about, a VERY seaworthy hull, some weather protection, a self bailing cockpit and a newer outboard engine. After a few weeks of exploring the lake and realizing it's really not that big, the boat will become almost nothing more than a commuter vehicle to get to and from your island home, so why make it complicated? You'll have plenty of maintenance to do at the camp...
I would agree with this, once you have a place the boat becomes more utilitarian than anything. You spend less time boating and more time relaxing on your dock or deck. We progressed from trailer boating so I got to know the lake well that way. We (as many islanders) have multiple boats, each having it's own use. The pontoon barge for early/late season projects (goes in/out of the water a few times a year) - a 16' whaler for shooting around to friends camps and quick easy runs for what's needed and a bigger 26' for going to dinner and taking visitors around the lake.

I have one neighbor who started with a large cruiser - it was gone within 3-4 months after he realized it wasn't practical.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula260SS For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #37
Hivolt

Quote:
Something like this?

https://www.easternboats.com/248-islander
The Following User Says Thank You to Hivolt For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #38
kauriel

With such limited slips available on the lake right now you may want to holdoff until you buy your camp and know where you'll want to be boating to/from. If you will need a slip elsewhere you may find many marina's will prioritize giving slips to their customers who are buying boats from them because they want the boat sale and the slip rental. In some cases the boat sale is more important to them because it helps secures their position with the manufacturer so they need the slips to help sell enough boats to keep their affiliations with the boat manufacturers.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #39
Dave R

Quote:
Was thinking more like this:

https://www.easternboats.com/248-center-console

With a dodger and/or canvas enclosure for the helm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #40
Slickcraft

Island boat:

A 22' Eastern "lobster" makes a pretty good island boat. Photo is on Welch a few days prior to ice out this year.

Oh, ishoot308 beat me over by a day with his Eastern.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #41
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Awesome Boat

Quote:
That’s a great Island boat right there!

I have a 22’ similar to that and love it!

Good luck!

Dan
Old 07-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #42
Descant

I've never heard of an Eastern owner who was disappointed in his boat. I think the factory will fix it up almost any way you like. You'll notice there aren't many "used" Easterns on the market. Owners love'em.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #43
Hivolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Island boat:

A 22' Eastern "lobster" makes a pretty good island boat. Photo is on Welch a few days prior to ice out this year.

Oh, ishoot308 beat me over by a day with his Eastern.
Quote:
That’s a great Island boat right there!

I have a 22’ similar to that and love it!

Good luck!

Dan
I knew I'd get a few more island dwellers to comment with that, ha.

I've seen 3 Eastern's on the lake, 1 from Diamond, 1 from Welch and 1 from either Rattlesnake or Sleepers. I couldn't tell where he came from. I figured there was a reason I saw these on the islands. I followed a gentleman to Wolfeboro last year who had one and who, after docking himself flagged me over to a spot in front of the handicapped spot I couldn't see from the water and helped me tie off. Super nice guy, I wish I caught his name.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #44
Descant

Eastern's, like island properties, don't seem to come onto the used boat market very often. Owners love them and they last and last. There used to be a third, 18', in the boat house south of Slickcraft on the west side o Welch. The big open cockpit is great for fishing, diving, hauling refrigerators, you name it. Far more useful for an islander than lots of built in upholstered seating. Add deck chairs if needed. Seaway too.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #45
marcucci

Quote:
And boatless...
I was informed that they would make no such accommodation because it was a consignment sale, and they were really just doing this guy a favor by selling this and that if I was buying one of their new or used boats they would likely bend over backwards for me.
Not much to add to what has already been shared but I will add that every time I've looked at a consignment sale at any marina I've gotten this attitude. I've even gotten it when looking at consignment motorcycles.

I was told by one guy that he didn't like consignments because he really couldn't do anything to the vehicle nor did he have any room to negotiate. Compared to his used inventory where he'd service the engine, ensure everything was working, and have more room to make a profit.
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcucci For This Useful Post:
Hivolt (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #46
Biggd

If you're going to buy a consignment boat you may as well buy from a private owner. A dealer is not going to stand behind a consignment boat. They are just tacking on a commission for keeping it in their yard and showing it. I don't know what they get for commission but I would think it has to be at least 10%.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #47
The Real BigGuy

There are a couple of Easterns in the Tuftonboro/Moultonboro area. Love those boats!

Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #48
Slickcraft

Quote:
Eastern's, like island properties, don't seem to come onto the used boat market very often. Owners love them and they last and last. There used to be a third, 18', in the boat house south of Slickcraft on the west side o Welch. The big open cockpit is great for fishing, diving, hauling refrigerators, you name it. Far more useful for an islander than lots of built in upholstered seating. Add deck chairs if needed. Seaway too.
You may be thinking of the blue 19' center console Eastern that the boathouse owner drove with his wife up front behind a canvas shield. Well that Eastern is still being loved by members of the extended family. It is often seen at the Glendale docks.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #49
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
If you're going to buy a consignment boat you may as well buy from a private owner. A dealer is not going to stand behind a consignment boat. They are just tacking on a commission for keeping it in their yard and showing it. I don't know what they get for commission but I would think it has to be at least 10%.
I have bought and sold several boats through Irwin Marine. I have been treated well regardless of if it was "their" boat or a broker boat. When I did my last sale, part of the agreement was that Irwin had a certain $$ limit that could be spent to fix whatever the prospective customer wanted. That is something to close the sale that I could not do personally. They would also launch and retrieve the boat for test rides, screen customers and provide access to financing. I'm sure there are others who do the same, but I think I get my money's worth here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #50
Garcia

Default Boats and slips

Looking at the Eastern boats I am intrigued and interested. My question is regarding slips and new boats. On my slip agreement it specifically states that the slip is based upon a boat that was purchased and stored at the marina. It makes sense given the limited number of slips available. I do wonder, though, if others have run up against this - and if so, how accommodating has the marina been?

I can see both sides - if someone who is dropping 6 figures (or more!) on a boat wants a slip, makes sense to try and provide one. On the other hand, if an existing customer wants/needs a boat that the dealer doesn't carry - and the marina benefits from the slip, storage, and maintenance fees, makes sense to keep customers happy.

Experiences?
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #51
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Looking at the Eastern boats I am intrigued and interested. My question is regarding slips and new boats. On my slip agreement it specifically states that the slip is based upon a boat that was purchased and stored at the marina. It makes sense given the limited number of slips available. I do wonder, though, if others have run up against this - and if so, how accommodating has the marina been?

I can see both sides - if someone who is dropping 6 figures (or more!) on a boat wants a slip, makes sense to try and provide one. On the other hand, if an existing customer wants/needs a boat that the dealer doesn't carry - and the marina benefits from the slip, storage, and maintenance fees, makes sense to keep customers happy.

Experiences?
Melvin Village Marina was explicit with me that they would not service a boat purchased elsewhere. This was during the sales process for a new boat, so I do not know what would happen if I just showed up there with a boat I already owned
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #52
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Melvin Village Marina was explicit with me that they would not service a boat purchased elsewhere. This was during the sales process for a new boat, so I do not know what would happen if I just showed up there with a boat I already owned
Yep - very sad. I'm sure MVM is/was plenty busy and doing okay, but I pulled up to the dock last summer to see if someone could look at the steering in my 2006 Horizon. When I walked up, almost nobody was working and there were 10+ guys sitting around, maybe on lunch break. Regardless, nobody would look at the boat and I didn't have leverage to say it was purchased there since it wasn't. Definitely was not a busy day and it was a weekday. Not a big deal, just shocked that was the protocol as opposed to trying to make money. Is what it is, I wasn't offended but just a different way of doing business.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #53
Dave R

Quote:
Really makes good sense to learn to maintain and repair your own boat. I never have to worry about a mechanic being available or refusing me as a customer. Also another good reason to get a boat with new to newish outboard power. There's just so much less maintenance and repair with a modern outboard, compared to a stern drive.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #54
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
These are literally the first negatives I've ever heard about MVM. In fact, Matt was at the Ambrose Cove Marina docks the other day, and I told him both that ACM looks awesome AND that I've literally never heard a bad word about MVM.

That being said, we bought our boat from them, and we're always taken care of FAST. If having a policy to work only on their boats allows them to stay in business, AND allows my downtime to be minimized, I'm all for it. My concern, of course, would be how it was handled and expressed--mostly because I like knowing I'm working with a respectful establishment.

thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #55
Shreddy

Quote:
Really makes good sense to learn to maintain and repair your own boat. I never have to worry about a mechanic being available or refusing me as a customer. Also another good reason to get a boat with new to newish outboard power. There's just so much less maintenance and repair with a modern outboard, compared to a stern drive.
Really makes sense to be a strong public accountant and attorney as well so I never have to rely on financial/tax/legal professional advice of others who claim to be professionals in the field.

It's great that you have the time to devote to being your own mechanic but that's not feasible to everyone...
Old 07-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #56
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
Really makes sense to be a strong public accountant and attorney as well so I never have to rely on financial/tax/legal professional advice of others who claim to be professionals in the field.

It's great that you have the time to devote to being your own mechanic but that's not feasible to everyone...
Point taken. That said, I'm my own accountant and I've had good success representing myself in traffic court too...
Old 07-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #57
Cal Coon

Quote:
Yep - very sad. I'm sure MVM is/was plenty busy and doing okay, but I pulled up to the dock last summer to see if someone could look at the steering in my 2006 Horizon. When I walked up, almost nobody was working and there were 10+ guys sitting around, maybe on lunch break. Regardless, nobody would look at the boat and I didn't have leverage to say it was purchased there since it wasn't. Definitely was not a busy day and it was a weekday. Not a big deal, just shocked that was the protocol as opposed to trying to make money. Is what it is, I wasn't offended but just a different way of doing business.
Haven't I seen that picture of the sled on HCS? "The sled is gone, just like the picture"...
Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #58
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Haven't I seen that picture of the sled on HCS? "The sled is gone, just like the picture"...
Yep - too lazy to adjust. I have a 2016 XRS Renegade and a 2011 XRS (for sale) now. Quite frankly, not even sure how I figured out how to add a picture to my signature but that sled has been gone for a while now
Old 07-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #59
Cal Coon

Quote:
Yep - too lazy to adjust. I have a 2016 XRS Renegade and a 2011 XRS (for sale) now. Quite frankly, not even sure how I figured out how to add a picture to my signature but that sled has been gone for a while now
I have a 2012 800 backcountry renegade, but I still have an 06 sdi 600 renegade that looks similar to your picture that I keep for a back up sled, and whenever I ride it, I get reminded of how much I love that sled. Love the look of it too. I will put a new motor in it, or rebuild it before I ever sell it. I knew I recognized that picture. Lol Back to boats for now...
Old 07-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #60
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
These are literally the first negatives I've ever heard about MVM. In fact, Matt was at the Ambrose Cove Marina docks the other day, and I told him both that ACM looks awesome AND that I've literally never heard a bad word about MVM.

That being said, we bought our boat from them, and we're always taken care of FAST. If having a policy to work only on their boats allows them to stay in business, AND allows my downtime to be minimized, I'm all for it. My concern, of course, would be how it was handled and expressed--mostly because I like knowing I'm working with a respectful establishment.

I totally agree with you. MVM is a great establishment. I think it is very important to get to know the people that work at the marina on a first name basis. When I meet people I try to learn a bit about them. It makes them feel important and I enjoy learning more about them. I especially try to personalize my relationship with those that work in the service department.I also bought my boat at MVM and I do not have any regrets. I would totally recommend them.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote