Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Gunstock Mountain Adventure Park

The GUNSTOCK MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE PARK opens today at noontime!! They're trying to add more activities to make it more of a year-round destination. the Chairlift will be open from July 4 until Labor Day for a leisurely ride to the summit and maybe some hiking around while you're up there. (There are extensive hiking trails up in the Belknaps).

The aerial treetop adventure and obstacle course opens today. Also starting today there will be Segway rentals that may be used on the mountain biking trails. The zip lines will be opening on July 1. "Soar above the trees on the longest zip line in the continental U.S. 3,900 feet from peak to peak with speeds up to 65 m.p.h.!!!" (yikes!)

There's also horseback riding and a new skateboard park.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (06-15-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We have noticed the new sign advertising Segway rentals and are thinking about giving that a try. Sounds like fun and hopefully we won't fall right off like "W" did. I may pass the zip line.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We have noticed the new sign advertising Segway rentals and are thinking about giving that a try. Sounds like fun and hopefully we won't fall right off like "W" did. I may pass the zip line.
I did the Segway tour in Newport RI last August. The tour group that runs it in Newport did a nice job with about 20 minuets of training in the parking lot of the rental company then off to the streets of Newport.

Took a little getting used to fighting your instincts like trying to "steer" with the handlebars. It's all shifting your body weight for acceleration and turning. You also have to shift your weight to your toes to speed up, and back on your heels to slow down. I found the uphill the most difficult, it doesn't feel natural to lean forward to maintain speed uphill.

Lot's of fun but expensive! $80 bucks for a 1 hour tour of Newport, make it $100 with the tip for the tour leader.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Lot's of fun but expensive! $80 bucks for a 1 hour tour of Newport, make it $100 with the tip for the tour leader.
Hey Steve that's not too bad.I paid $5000 for the original when it first came out.Still using today for work.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
sa meredith

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Hey Steve that's not too bad.I paid $5000 for the original when it first came out.Still using today for work.
Well...someone has to patrol that parking lot on game day. Might as well ride instead of walk.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Awesome Adventures!

Gunstock Mountain Adventure Park

I hope they do well!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
KPW (07-10-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default We are looking into the zip line thing.

My wife wants to do the zip line on her birthday next week. We are looking into all the places in NH and cost per distance traveled but I think Gunstock is out. We are also looking into taking the bikes for a nice ride to and from to make a day long thing out of it and gunstock is in our back yard. Besides we have not been north in years since we bought our place in Maine. It would be a nice motorcycle ride up to and thru the Lincoln area.
I wonder if they will install the hooks on the lifts and allow MTN bikes to the top?
Not sure if there is enough elevation to make it attractive like there is at Loon and Mt Snow.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
LakesRegionSpirit

Gunstocks Zip Line is not ready for prime time until July 4th weekend, I believe. The aerial adventure park and Seqway is open now.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Grant

Default Aerial Treetop Adventures @ Gunstock

On Sunday, my son and I ventured over to Gunstock for a day at the new Aerial Treetop Adventures course.

One-word summary: Awesome.

After arriving, plunking down our payment and signing requisite waiver forms, we were fitted with harnesses (standard climbing harnesses, outfitted with two cords with caribiners and one with a zip line pulley), and then assigned to an instructor along with 5-7 other folks.

Instruction was basic and thorough, and included all necessary safety and technical info as well as ground rules and warnings. After a brief run through a low-level course that included all types of challenges under the watchful eye of the instructor, we were sent to the beginning of the course.

The course if divided into five sections (Greee, Blue, Silver, Red, Black), each of which is progressively more difficult and higher. They contain ladders, foot bridges, swings, ropes, cargo nets, logs, and other suspended challenges with a series of ladders, zip lines and platforms between. Each segment has at least one zip line (nine total) and they range in length from 60, 65, 70, 80, 125, 180, 200 and 275 feet in length at varying heights. Platforms go as high as 50 feet according the web site, but some appear quite a bit higher (especially when you're perched on one).

There are a series of well-marked lines you must always be clipped into along the way (two clips, always in use, opposing openings, etc.), and there's always a guide nearby to help when needed.

Each segment of the course ends with a ground option, so if you've had enough, you can opt out. Making it all the way through the Black section is a real accomplishment -- and a real physical challenge.

The equipment (cables, platforms, ladders, ropes, etc.) is all secure and solid (naturally, as it's a new park), and fastened to healthy, strong trees (big, tall pines). The course nicely traverses the landscape and woods -- it doesn't look like they removed many trees at all. They really made it fit right into the surrounding woods. Some of the zip lines cross ravines and creeks, adding to the thrill. The longest line (toward the end of the Red segment) was nearly 100 yards long and about 30-40 feet high.

My son and I are already planning a return trip with my oldest son in August (and hopefully I will finish the Black section this time without hand cramps).

Well done, Gunstock!
Jonas Pilot (07-06-2011), KPW (07-10-2011), SteveA (07-22-2011), suge (07-07-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

Nice review Grant,thanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
Grant

Here are a couple of videos from Gunstock...

Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
Janet

Default Grant

Your review sounded so good my family went to Gunstock yesterday. You were absolutely correct...they had a wonderful time! They said it was "awesome". Thanks for a great review and giving them a wonderful day.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Little Bear

Thumbs up Take a chairlift ride!

The zip lines are not opened or even constructed yet, but I had the opportunity to take the chairlift to the summit yesterday and see first-hand where the zip lines will be running. It's enough to blow your mind, that's for sure! I will also say that it's worth the money just to take a trip up to the summit via the chairlift just for the views and experience. Those of you who don't ski can have the experience of getting to the summit and back by chairlift. The wild blueberries are out and again, the views are incredible. Give it a try - you will not be disappointed!
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

Default What's up with the ziplines?

Anybody know what the hold up is with the ziplines? The website has shown a July opening for a while. I called a few weeks ago looking for a potential opening the person I spoke to could not give any answer except in July. One week left and no zip lines in yet? What gives? Any info?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Grant

We saw the spot where the 3,900' zip line will end. I'd imagine the construction would take some time -- it's a huge distance to cover, and the braking system alone would take a while to implement.

My son and I are considering a return trip to Aerial Treetop Adventures around Aug. 5 -- day after his 16th birthday -- so we will look into it. The original plan was to try out the long zip line. But we're patient...

Looking forward to another day on that ropes/zips course!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Anybody know what the hold up is with the ziplines? The website has shown a July opening for a while. I called a few weeks ago looking for a potential opening the person I spoke to could not give any answer except in July. One week left and no zip lines in yet? What gives? Any info?
Zip Lines opened this past Saturday. They'll be open year round. The longest in the continental U.S. they are tandem zip lines so you may cruise down with a partner next to you. $65 per person and takes about two hours from summit to base. Nice article in the Laconia Sun today. Unable to cut and paste from this PDF newspaper....or if someone can figure out how to do this please let me know!

photo from the Citizen -
GILFORD — After six months of construction and much anticipation, Gunstock Mountain Resort will open what it claims to be the longest ziplines in the Continental United States this weekend.

Quote:
from the Citizen
GILFORD — After six months of construction and much anticipation, Gunstock Mountain Resort will open what it claims to be the longest ziplines in the Continental United States this weekend.
The ZipTour will include five ziplines, covering almost 9,000 feet.

“It is awesome,” said Greg Goddard, Gunstock’s general manager on Friday. “We were out on it today with the final inspection and certification and the ride is incredible. The construction took about six months but was well worth it, as two of the ziplines on the tour will be the longest in the Continental U.S. and the 4th and 6th longest in the world.”
Gunstock’s ZipTour will run year-round, offering views of Lake Winnipesaukee.
Participants will start this weekend in the Adventure center where they will check in, sign releases, and be fitted with harnesses. They will then head to a demo zip line to practice with the braking mechanism. After that, it’s off to the 451-foot-long training zip line.
“This process gets everyone more comfortable with the equipment, as it is unique to zipline experiences,” said Pat McGonagle, Gunstock Adventure Center manager.
The Panorama lift will take participants to the top for the Summit Span, a 251-foot zipline.
“The unique ability to engage a brake allows you to travel at up to a 25 percent grade,” officials said.
From there participants take the catwalk to the Recoil Span which purportedly is the longest zipline in the country, at 3,981 feet.
Gunstock’s ZipTour lines have been installed in tandem, allowing participants to ride down or race the person next to them. The Recoil span at one point is 155 feet off the ground over the ski trails and then it cruises to the back side of Pistol, coming as close as 15 feet off the ground.
“It’s a truly unique experience,” said Bill Quigley, director of Marketing and Sales at the resort. “I did the summit for the first time today, and can’t wait to get back up there.”
The last span is a quick walk across the trail at the top of the Pistol Lift, with a 3,809-foot zipline taking the participants to the base while crossing the Terrain Park, parking lot and pond at the base before landing on a huge deck.
The entire tour for a group of 12 will take more than two hours. Due to the limited number of people that can go per hour, reservations are recommended.
For more information, see www.gunstock.com or call 603-737-4388 to make reservations.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Bear Island South (11-10-2011), Jonas Pilot (11-08-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
SIKSUKR

Thanks McDude. I was just looking on their website last week wondering when the heck it was going to open. They originally targeted mid July and had it on their website for that date well into September. I went to a wedding on top of Gunstock in mid Sept and checked out the start and finish areas and was impressed to say the least. The mt manager mentioned in the article, Greg Goddard was at this wedding and I talked with him for a while about the project over many beers. Real nice guy. Said at that point they stopped setting a completion date and it will be ready when its ready. They had quite a delay when the tramway dept inspectors didn't like the concrete anchor slab they had for the top tower and Gunstock had to remove that and dig down to ledge to anchor it. Those towers are not coming down. I'm going as soon as I can!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #18
Pineedles

I wonder how slow or fast you can go? I have to imagine that they don't want people going so fast that they endanger their landing at the termination point; nor so slow that they create a traffic jam.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #19
Shore Driver

They posted a speed of 66 mph on their website the other day.

That's haulin'!
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #20
Denny Crane

Default Zip Tour is a must do!!

My family had a fantastic time on the new Zip Tour at Gunstock over Veteran's Day weekend. While some in our group were nervous, the instructors helped them through their fears, were energetic and encouraging. The scenery was beautiful, the thrills were beyond what we imagined. It was safe, an adrenaline rush, and we will return and do it again in a second. It's great to see Gunstock's continuing effort in making this area a year-round recreation destination. Smiles all around in our group. Got to do it!!

Last edited by Denny Crane; 04-03-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denny Crane For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (11-29-2011), Senter Cove Guy (11-29-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Fantastic video.Thanks for that.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
mcdude

Here's a great video of the zip line that just came out in the monthly newsletter. The video was taken recently with snow and a nice view of the
BIG lake.

http://youtu.be/_hOz94zwJzo

Last edited by mcdude; 12-02-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: how do I "embed" the video like Grant and Denny Crane did?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Bill Quigley

Default Adventure Park jobs!

Gunstock is now accepting applications for the Mountain Adventure Park. The park will open May 18th for weekends and full time starting bike week. http://www.gunstock.com/about_us/job_listings/ is where you can apply. There will be auditions scheduled from the applications.

Bill Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
trfour

Exclamation Rescue On Mt. Chocorua

The Hiking season is upon us! Stay safe Y'all!
From WMUR com.

http://www.wmur.com/news/31017815/detail.html

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 05-09-2012 at 08:24 AM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #25
trfour

Exclamation Boy, uncle rescued on Mt. Major

Alton NH. from WMUR.com news.

Link; http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Boy...z/-/index.html

Please everyone, use caution while hiking!!

Terry

PS, The man pictured with the rescue crew in the green pullover and cap, bares a very strong resemblance to our very own and beloved DRH.
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 05-28-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Add a pic & PS
Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
trfour

Default Lost hikers rescued from Falling Waters Trail

From WMUR.com http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Los...v/-/index.html

Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #27
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
This happened up north in the White Mountain National Forrest.
When will people learn? Hiking in sandals and unprepared, hopefully they are charged for the rescue.
Sandals on their feet, no light and inappropriate clothing.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #28
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Off topic!!!!!!!

this thread is about Gunstock Mountain Adventure park, not mountain rescues. Need to be back on topic.
Belmont Resident (06-04-2012), trfour (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #29
trfour

Default Sorry, Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
this thread is about Gunstock Mountain Adventure park, not mountain rescues. Need to be back on topic.
Hi Dave,
I did originally post # 24 back on 5/6/2012 in a new thread and somehow it ended up in this thread.
Hopefully, Don can save these posts in a new thread so as people can learn from others errors.

Terry
________________________________-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (06-04-2012), upthesaukee (06-04-2012)