Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
Pat

Default Yamaha SX 210

I am looking at a new boat for this season. This Yamaha is a unusual because it has twin marine engines for jet-drive performance, just like a jet ski, so there is no prop. These engines are mounted low, below the back seats, so this design opens up the rear of the boat and allows for a huge two-level swim platform.

Do any Forum readers have any experience or opinions with this boat??

Thanks

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Woodsy

I suggest you test drive on a busy day before you buy the boat. make sure it handles the waves & wakes in an acceptable manner to you.

Find out if the engines are independently reversable... ie: one in forward gear, the other in reverse... spinning the boat. This helps TREMENDOUSLY when docking.

Woodsy
Old 05-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Pat

Yes, there are two engines, two starters, two keys, and a split throttle for individual control!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
codeman671

The jet boats typically do not allow one engine to run in forward and one in reverse. Manuevering a jet boat in close quarters is a bit different than a traditional prop boat. To go in reverse, the impeller still spins in a direction that would push the boat forward, however a hood closes over the jet and redirects the water.

The SX210 is a decent riding boat but not made for rough water conditions. A friend has the AR210, same boat but with the wakeboard tower. He loves it. I have driven it and it was fun, but certainly not my choice if it was going to be my only boat on Winnipesaukee.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Pat

Default Jet Boat

Thanks to both of you....those are interesting comments and questions. But Codeman, I'm curious why this would not be the ONLY boat for you on the lake (because my plans were that it would indeed be the only one for me). Is it the "rough water" ride that is the problem?? Certainly that's something my wife is sensitive to.

Aprreciate your comments

Pat
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
The jet boats typically do not allow one engine to run in forward and one in reverse. Manuevering a jet boat in close quarters is a bit different than a traditional prop boat. To go in reverse, the impeller still spins in a direction that would push the boat forward, however a hood closes over the jet and redirects the water.
I just did a quick Google search and found this article at Boating Life, an online magazine. According to their short review, THIS boat is capable of independent shifting of the engines (i.e., one in forward, the other in reverse) to facilitate manuveuring in close quarters. Perhaps this will help Pat in making a decision.

Personally, codeman, I'm with you on using this boat in rough water (we all know how rough The Big Lake can be at times). I used to have a 21 ft bowrider and after 5 years, I was ready to move up in size. I now have a 25 ft closed bow; longer, heavier, it handles the rough water much better!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I just did a quick Google search and found this article at Boating Life, an online magazine. According to their short review, THIS boat is capable of independent shifting of the engines (i.e., one in forward, the other in reverse) to facilitate manuveuring in close quarters. Perhaps this will help Pat in making a decision.
My friend's is an older, 01 or 02 I think. His is actually the 2 stroke twin 135hp model, which I think was not independent. I am glad they changed the design on that on the newer 4 stroke models. My 2000 XR1800 had the shifting linked to one shifter with 2 separate throttles.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
My 2000 XR1800 had the shifting linked to one shifter with 2 separate throttles.
OUCH!! That must suck!! What's the point in having twin engines if you can't work them independently of each other?? IMHO, the only thing those jet boats are good for is their shallow water capability. Other than that, I have no use for them. I have no problem if other people love them and buy them, but I'm not interested in owning one. But hey, who knows, as gas prices increase and my wallet gets thinner, it's possible I might reconsider my position on them some day in the future!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Airwaves

A friend who lives in a shallow area bought a 23' model a couple of years ago.

It rides very well but as has been pointed out even though it's a twin engine you can't put one engine forward and the other in reverse.

Both engines are connected to the same throttle which makes it difficult maneuvering in and out of tight spaces since, as with all jet boats, the slower you go the less maneuverability you have.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
Seeker

This probably won't apply to you but if you ever plan to use a jet boat in the ocean where there is significant seaweed floating around (Boothbay, etc) then you WILL have a problem. While the jets chew up and spit out about everything at high rpms when you are in a wake free zone going slow they definitely will clog up. Let me tell you, the ocean is COLD when you need to clean out your intakes.
You may find that the jets hug the water better than other types of boats due to the suction but also create a harder ride because of that. One plus is that they can stop on a dime.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
gwood

I am the owner of the Yamaha ar230ho model which is the 23' version of the the 210. The Yamaha's have independent throttles...I think the seadoo does not. These are fun boats and can out-accelerate and out-maneuver any prop boat in its price range. The 23' version handles the chop very well. After visiting Winni for a week with my 18' boat, I upgraded to the 23' and now love the lake and can go anywhere on it.

Slow speed handling requires some practice and addition of fins that hang off the jet nozzle almost like a rudder. However, once you get the hang of it you can stop and rotate in position and move in a different direction.

Don't get me wrong, jets are not for everyone, but they are very capable boats. I would recommend visiting yamahajetboaters.com for all the information you need on the boats.
gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 AM   #12
Good N' You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood View Post
I am the owner of the Yamaha ar230ho model which is the 23' version of the the 210. The Yamaha's have independent throttles...I think the seadoo does not. These are fun boats and can out-accelerate and out-maneuver any prop boat in its price range. The 23' version handles the chop very well. After visiting Winni for a week with my 18' boat, I upgraded to the 23' and now love the lake and can go anywhere on it.

Slow speed handling requires some practice and addition of fins that hang off the jet nozzle almost like a rudder. However, once you get the hang of it you can stop and rotate in position and move in a different direction.

Don't get me wrong, jets are not for everyone, but they are very capable boats. I would recommend visiting yamahajetboaters.com for all the information you need on the boats.
I have the SX 230 and am always in the Big Lake. It is a great boat for the lake, since you have ALOT less to worry about with rocks and props. If someone with an outdrive goes there, you can go there. I also like the fact of getting in and out of the boat without having to worry about somone catching a knee or a foot on a sharp prop. I equate the handling of the boat like a porsche of the boat world. You can literally go full speed and cut the wheel and go back the other way. No prop boat can do this. Quality of the boat is good. Not incredible, but the price is great. So you got to give one to get the other. Having the dual engines at this price point was a key factor. No need for a tow if one goes down. Plus, slow speed parking can amaze even the most experienced boater, once you figure it out. I pulled into a u shaped docking area, and spun it right in place, then moved the boat sideways into place. A spectator asked if I had side thrusters!!...
Go to HK Powersports. They should be able to get you a ride in one. After that..You'll be sold.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
Rattler

I owned an SR230 for a number of years. The SR was the first model of Yamaha's jet boat series.

I liked the boat for many of the reasons that other posters have mentioned. The boat was incredibly responsive at speed, and, with a little practice, you could out-maneuver any boat at docks or in a marina. It was just a fun boat to operate. And, a very nice, appealing boat design and layout.

I did, however, sell mine last season. The reasons:

1. The boat has clean-out plugs, since you must remove any debris that collects in the jet thrusters or the boat will cavitate. Early models (including mine) had trouble with these plugs disloging a high speeds. The results were not pretty -- I had a plug blow at high speed, and I never want to go through that experience again.
2. The more and more I used the boat, the more mechanical issues started to pop up.
3. When I had a chance to ride in other boats of comparable size, I just felt the 230 was flimsy and poorly constructed. It semed like something was always loose. For example, the bimini top was poorly attached to the boat and slapped around with the wind and high waves. The other side of this is that, at least when I bought mine, Yamaha had priced the 230 at least $10,000 less than the competition.

All in all, I enjoyed my 230. As a variant to the old boater's saying: I was happy when I owned it and happier when I sold it.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote