Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Good N' You?

Default Camping on an Island?

Is it possible to set up a tent and camp on any of the islands? I'm an avid camper and love the seclusion you can get on an island.
Thanks for your input
Good N' You?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Tough to do

Skip can verify this, but I believe NH's law still states that if there are not any no-tresspassing signs on a property, you may tresspass. That said, most of the cool islands to camp on are already posted. The best time of year to "get away with it" is spring and fall, where there is nobody around. You could also look up the owner's name on a tax map, and ask permission. During the prime season, I think its safe to say that there are no official camping spots on the lake. To identify any spots in this forum would probably cause the spot to be overused, noticed, and posted....
Old 03-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Seaplane Pilot

You might also consider a couple of the commercial operations that I believe might allow you to pitch a tent. Three Mile Island (owned by Appalachian Mountain Club http://www.3mile.org/ ) and Sandy Island (owned by Boston YMCA http://si.bostonycamps.org/ ).
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Island Lover

I think there is a big difference between walking across property and setting up a tent. If I find somebody pitching a tent on my island property they will get a surprise.

Perhaps they can camp on skip's lawn.
Island Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Skip

Post Camping on private property....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
...Skip can verify this...
As Lakegeezer alluded to, we have had several discussions here in the past on New Hampshire tresspass law (RSA 635:2 Criminal Tresspass) and the State's adherence to the commom law concept of open lands.

That said, it is actually quite common to have someone camping on unposted private lands throughout the State, especially in it's less populated areas.

A few things to remember:

It is always preferable to obtain permission from a landowner prior to partaking of any physical activity on their property, although it is not a requirement under New Hampshire law.

When you do partake of an activity on private land, you must leave it as you found it unless you have permission of the landowner to alter the landscape. This means no fires, gathering or taking of firewood, leaving trash, or utilizing private utilities (water, electricity, phone services, etc.).

If approached by the landowner you must identify yourself when asked and also vacate the property immediately if told to do same.

That is probably the most important point, that you must leave the property immediately if requested to do so by the landowner, his authorized agent or a law enforcement official!

You cannot enter the property if it is posted legally, or a legal attempt has been made to post the property and you are obviously aware of this intent. For more information on posting please refer to RSA 635:4 (prescibed manner of posting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island lover
...If I find somebody pitching a tent on my island property they will get a surprise...
I wouldn't recommend the "John Wayne" approach here. If you find someone on your property that you don't wish to be there and you feel comfortable approaching them, then simply identify yourself as the landowner (or landowner's agent) and ask them to leave. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, then contact the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction and have them ask the individuals to leave. Because New Hampshire recognizes the common law principle of open land, a request to vacate within a reasonable time & manner must be adhered to or you open yourself up to significant civil (and possible criminal) liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island lover
...Perhaps they can camp on skip's lawn...
Ahhh, shoot the messenger, eh?
Fortunately for me I have the landowner & government agent role all wrapped up into one, so I can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak!

As always, feel free to check with your own personal attorney or your local law enforcement agency about tresspass issues where you live, especially if you are a reader from another State.

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Good N' You?

Thanks everyone for your replies. I figured that about the private islands. But I was hoping there might be some not so public secrets. I will try and contact the YMCA as I am a member of a YMCA near my home. So long as its not posted and there are no homes on the island, is should be legal? I always practice leave it as you found it, so thats shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks again,
Good N' You?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:10 PM   #7
Island Lover

Skip

Where does this common law come into play? It sounds like if you are not "licensed or privileged" then you are breaking the law.

I notice that there are many beautiful places on Governors island that never have anybody home. This year I will tie up my boat and pitch a tent. In fact we should have the forumfest at one of those places. If the owner or police show up we just move the party to the next mansion.

Somehow I don't think Skip's theory will actually work. It sounds like one of those "you don't need to pay takes because money isn't really legal tender" theories.

635:2 Criminal Trespass. – I. A person is guilty of criminal trespass if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 AM   #8
ApS

Default That Quaint "High-Water Mark"

In many locations on Winnipesaukee islands, the "high-water mark" (where Winnipesaukee's reach legally welcomes visitors) can extend 20 feet (or more) inland.

Why not pitch your camp up to that point from the water?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:30 AM   #9
TomC

Default I got skewered for this in the last thread..

for some of my thoughts on this subject. I look forward to additional viewpoints...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #10
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover

635:2 Criminal Trespass. – I. A person is guilty of criminal trespass if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place.
I live on land in Hollis NH that used to be a kids party or parking place, and a hiking spot. I usually don't bother the hikers, but the kids always leave beer bottles or other things. And after many discussions with the Hollis PD, I can tell you that Skip is right on this.

The key word above is "knowing", so I put up signs, they get torn down. If I or the police approach them, then they just have to say they didn't know. Of course they have to leave when you ask them. But unless I can prove that they knew, they're not going to jail.

This is exactly what will happen to you, depending on which side you're on. If someone camps on your island, you or the Marine Patrol will ask them to leave. They will say they didn't know and didn't see your signs. Then they will leave. If you try your Governors Island idea, a neighbor or a security guard will tell you the same thing, in about a nanosecond.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #11
Merrymeeting

Island Lover, Skip is just educating us on the actual text and interpretation of the law. It isn't Skip's "theory". It's actual NH practice as noted in subsequent posts.

In actual practice, I would agree your point about camping at someone's house or front yard is the extreme and unlikely to happen. But there are hundreds of acres of unposted woods behind my house. On occasion you will find someone camping in there. As long as they leave it as they found it, the owners and neighbors don't seem to mind.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #12
Cow Man

Default Common Land on Islands?

Interesting Thread, can someone opine as to how one legally accesses town land on the interior of an island where the shorefront is privately owned? Not that I have that problem.
Cow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Lakes Region Conservatory Trust

This brings up the issue with the Lakes Region Conservatory Trust, who owns the Castle in the Clouds estate. They are very adamant about very limited recreational use of the land. I notice that they are very liberal about posting no trespassing signs around the property. A while ago there was an issue about closing down a main snowmobile corridor that cuts through the land.
I notice that they did the same thing to the Timber Island property. Actually I find the signs more of a huge eyesore, but that is the way it is. I commend the Audobon Society, AMC, and the NH forests society to allow recreational use of the land. Though, it may be limited, they allow hiking so that my children and grandchildren can enjoy nature and what it has to offer.
I notice on a couple of occasion, kayakers and canoers camping on the AMC's 3 mile Island. I'm not sure if you are to get permission.
Decades ago, kids use to paddle or boat out to remote islands that have no camps on it and 'rough it' for the night. It was a fun and rewarding experience.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #14
Island Lover

My opinion is that you can't. However I would bet that most land locked property has a right of way somewhere.

If you go along with the "common law" theory then just tie up at any dock that doesn't have a no trespassing sign.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
Woodsy

Right or wrong, I am pretty sure if its not posted "No Trespassing", or fenced, then its fair game. There are rules regarding how to post the "No Trespassing" signs.

Why someone would want to tie up to another persons dock without permission is beyond me. Unless of course there is some sort of emergency.

If you really want to get annoying, you can anchor your boat offshore and swim in, set up camp on the beach below the high water mark... We the people own to the high water mark. I think there is a provision that doesn't allow you to impede the enjoyment of the property owner... but he cannot kick you off either.

Skip whats the RSA on this? I know we have discussed this here before.

Woodsy
Old 03-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #16
Bear Lover

I'm confused here!

Skip seems to have quoted a law that says you need license or permission to be on private property. Yet at the same time he (and others) seem to be saying that its not true. That there is a common law right to be on private property unless its posted.

Where is the backup for this common law exception. Is this in writing somewhere, or will I end up telling the judge that I read it on the internet. Because quite frankly I don't think that explanation will fly.
Bear Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #17
Skip

Exclamation Skip's theorem on tresspassing.....

Let's see if I can use another source to try an get this concept across. From the official New Hampshire Fish & Game website on the common law concept of open lands in New Hampshire:

...Common law in New Hampshire gives the public the right of access to land that's not posted. You won't find that in state law books, because it is common law, going back to the philosophy of New England's early colonists and supported over the centuries by case law. Our forefathers knew the importance of balancing the need for landowners' rights with that of the public good. On one hand, the landowner can make decisions about his or her land. On the other hand, the public should have limited rights to use and enjoy that land. The colonists held similar democratic notions about rivers, lakes, fish and wildlife.

Today, it's easy to take this notion for granted. In New Hampshire and elsewhere in New England, we enjoy a long, proud tradition of public use of private land.
This tradition also comes with a risk. A landowner who finds trash, disrespect or other problems can easily decide to post his or her land.

Residents of some Western states find this notion of private land/public use very strange. Hunters in some states pay hundreds of dollars in annual fees to landowners to hunt their lands. It's just another cost of hunting.

Other states have what's called reverse posting. Access is limited to land that's specifically posted for that use. If it's not posted, you can't go on it...

Yeah yeah I know....some of you will say that Fish & Game doesn't know what it's talking about either, but then there's nothing I can do about that...

Anyway, as some of you have already figured out, I developed my theory on tresspass law way back (boy, am I dating myself!) at the New Hampshire 48th Police Academy, and my theory has held up quite well these past several decades as I have never lost a tresspass case in court....albeit it is not one of those statutes that I enforce too many times.

Some of you are misinterpreting the statue by reading it out of context....a dangerous mistake commonly made by non-law/law enforcement individuals.

As correctly pointed out by several previous posters, the State must show you were not "licensed or privileged" to be where you were to prove tresspass. Since RSA 635:2 is either a misdemeanor or felony offense, the State must also prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you "knowingly" tresspassed. For you budding attorneys or law enforcement types out there, this means the State must prove the culpable state of mind of "knowingly", a not so easy task.

So what does "licensed or privileged" mean? Let me give an extreme case of "licensed", since hyperbole seems to be the theme here with other examples. Let's say you pitched your tent in the fenced off garden section of your local Walmart at midnight (and you are not an employee). Likewise, you pitched your tent in the closed and fenced swimming pool of a local hotel, and you are not a guest...not privileged.

Another common example, you have been previously warned by court order, verifiable legal document or previous documented landowner/law enforcement warning. And then there's the obvious, you clearly crossed onto posted property without permission.

Bottom line....if you pitch a tent, blueberry, birdwatch, hunt, fish, butterfly, hike, and so on & so on, on non-posted private property (and you have not been told to leave) and you do not disturb the land that you are on, you are not tresspassing in New Hampshire and will not be arrested.

In some cases you will be asked to leave, and I truly believe that may be the case in the original poster's case, and you will definitely be told not to come back - but you will not be arrested (unless you refuse to leave, of course).

As usual, please call Fish & Game, your local law enforcement agency (my hat is off to you JRC for doing the right thing and getting the correct information)and your family attorney if in doubt.

That said, I stand on my interpretation of RSA 635:2 and invite anyone who would like to discuss this issue further to please feel free to PM me anytime....

Skip

Important p.s. !

For those of you confused or doubting if New Hampshire practices recognizes the doctrine of common law....from the introductory page of the New Hampshire Attorney General's website (the highlight is courtesy of me):

The mission of the department is

to serve the people of New Hampshire with diligence, independence and integrity by performing the constitutional, statutory and common law duties of the Attorney General as the State's chief legal officer and chief law enforcement officer
;

Last edited by Skip; 03-27-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #18
islandAl

Default along the same lines

How about a boater floating up and picking all "your" blueberries?
Because they are in the water, is it legal?
Can I post no tresspassing/no pciking signs and where is the proper place, on the bushes or on a stake in the water?
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #19
Skip

Talking Blueberries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandAl
...Can I post no tresspassing/no pciking signs and where is the proper place, on the bushes or on a stake in the water?...
Here is the applicable RSA for the anti-blueberry picking crowd...just remember, blueberrying is considered a sacred rite in many parts of this fine State!!!!

Anyway, here's the RSA on signage:

TITLE LXII
CRIMINAL CODE
CHAPTER 635
UNAUTHORIZED ENTRIES
Section 635:4
635:4 Prescribed Manner of Posting. – A person may post his land to prohibit criminal trespass and physical activities by posting signs of durable material with any words describing the physical activity prohibited, such as "No Hunting or Trespassing", printed with block letters no less than 2 inches in height, and with the name and address of the owner or lessee of such land. Such signs shall be posted not more than 100 yards apart on all sides and shall also be posted at gates, bars and commonly used entrances. This section shall not prevent any owner from adding to the language required by this section.
Source. 1977, 284:1, eff. Aug. 21, 1977.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #20
Silver Duck

I have to sympathize with the property owners on this one; common law is one thing, common decency is another.

I can't imagine having the chutzpah to just pitch a tent on someone else's property! I know that NH is less lawsuit-happy than MA, but wouldn't allowing strangers to use one's property casually open one up to the possibility of being sued if a person doing so was injured?

Personally, the only way I'd ever step ashore other than on public property is if my boat sank out from under me and I had to get ashore to save my life!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #21
Skip

Exclamation Liability issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
...I have to sympathize with the property owners on this one; common law is one thing, common decency is another... I know that NH is less lawsuit-happy than MA, but wouldn't allowing strangers to use one's property casually open one up to the possibility of being sued if a person doing so was injured?...
S D, you are absolutely correct in your sympathies, and most people must agree with your line of thought because some of the outrageous examples given in this thread rarely if ever occur....unless a good dose of alcohol or drugs have been administered, but that's a whole 'nother story!

Remember, in NH it is not you allowing strangers access, but the common law beliefs held by the State's courts.

However, you must always be cognizant of hazards and "attractive nuisances" on your property, and your liability should someone be injured. Two easy examples....an old open well that someone could fall in to, or an in-ground pool not properly fenced off. There are many examples over the years of tragedies involving these two common hazards resulting in liability for a property owner.

Again, there is a wealth of information on the NH Fish & Game website on the open land concepts and liabilities that can be incurred by landowners, along with suggestions to minimize these risks. The F&G site is excelent reading for anyone interested in the State's great outdoors, whether you are a sportsman (or woman) or not....

Check it out!

Skip
Old 03-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #22
66WINN

Default Overnight

Wouldn't you also run into a problem with the "No Overnight Anchoring" law?
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #23
Skip

Default Bear Lover...you can't be confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover
...I'm confused here!...Where is the backup for this common law exception. Is this in writing somewhere, or will I end up telling the judge that I read it on the internet. Because quite frankly I don't think that explanation will fly.
You of all people should understand the concept of common law, and why it isn't just "in writing somewhere".

Back a year or two ago we were all exploring the concept of waterfront littoral rights. You were adamant in the concept of your littoral right to the waterfront at your home. You even correctly cited the case of Sundell v. Town of New London 119 NH 839.....

The littoral right to usage of the water in front of your home is based on the same common law concept that allows people in New Hampshire to freely roam private properties within reason!

The case you cite, Sundell v. Town of New London was based on common law! So see, the concept is really not that hard to find, or understand!

Amazing, isn't it???

Anyway, when you really get bored....head on down to the legal section of your local library and peruse State v. Wentworth 118 NH 832. Yep, it's dry reading and concerns a boring anti-nuke case out of the Town of Seabrook, but it does have a neat interpretation explaining the concept of "licensed or privileged" and goes into detail about culpable state of mind! Save it for a rainy day though......

Skip
Old 03-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #24
Skip

Unhappy Err, overnight....houseboat rule????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66WINN
Wouldn't you also run into a problem with the "No Overnight Anchoring" law?
Uh oh....that's a topic for a whole 'nother thread...the RSA you are talking about (270-A:3 Where Overnight Mooring Prohibited) has holes big enough to, well, shoot a houseboat through!

'Nuff said about that one, I could get tarred and feathered if I offered my unfettered opinion about that particular piece off legislation, except to offer that it really needs to be revisited if enforcement becomes a problem....to which I understand it is not a problem to date.

I'll give you a hint, the key to the discrepancy here is the legal definition of the term "houseboat" and how it plays into the related RSAs....that said, you're on your own to figure out the rest!

Skip
Old 03-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #25
Airwaves

My family has property in Southern NH in an isolated area. I remember we tried to post it for several years because people were going onto the property and leaving it a mess. (beer cans etc)

The problem is they just ripped down the signs and suddenly the property was no longer "posted" and it was legal for them to party on!

We eventually just gave up and converted it into income producing property instead of just leaving it to the wildlife (human and otherwise)
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #26
Lakegeezer

Default Camping on an island

In the spring, sometime in the early 1980's (has it really been that long!?), four of us camped out on one of the small islands in the southern part of the lake. It was one of the more memorable camping trips I've been on. We pulled the boat up on a small sandy beach and pitched a tent about 50 feet back from the shoreline. We used a fuel stove for cooking and had a small camp fire in a fire pit that we found. In the morning, there was a series of weird loud noises. We woke up to see a bunch of hot-air balloons floating by, 100 feet or so above the water. After breakfast, we cleaned up all evidence that we had been there and left. Nobody else was on the island, and we never got close to the only house that was there. Camping like that is special, and if you are going to do it, you should respect the land you are using, and the tradition of not spoiling it for others. If you get caught, there is a 50/50 chance you will have to leave - but if you are careful, they will never know. Getting away with it is part of the fun - at least it was for us.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:02 AM   #27
ApS

Default Before "Great Adventure" there was...

Back in the Pleistocene era, three of us kids put two 5-horsepower Johnsons on a ten-foot wooden rowboat of mine, and camped on the Broads side of Rattlesnake Island. (Two engines for the added security in such an adventure, of course).

No docks, no camps, no campers, no signs, no houses!

And no rattlesnakes...dangit!

BTW: The signs stating "Private" back then...were postcard-sized.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:53 AM   #28
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

We owned a small island on the lake and had the same problem jrc and airwaves referred to. Beer cans, soda cans, underwear. We always ended up bringing a garbage bad full of trash home. Using the path as a bathroom. Almost every time we went there, there were people using it. Most were very arrogant some even told us they had persmission from the owner to use it! If someone was coming in at the same time we were, they would try to get there faster to "stake their claim". They ignored us until we asked them to leave. We posted it repeatedly and they tore the signs down. We wrote " No trespassing" all over the dock. Our neighbor on an adjoining island called us one day to tell us people were having so many fires there, he was afraid they were going to burn the island down. We got so frustrated, we sold it. Sadly, this is why you can't let other people enjoy your property.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #29
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
We owned a small island on the lake and had the same problem jrc and airwaves referred to. Beer cans, soda cans, underwear. We got so frustrated, we sold it.
Poison ivy, lots of it, before selling would have been my preference.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #30
jrc

Well poison ivy will ruin it for the owner as well as the uninvited visitor. If you think underwear is strange, I've found a complete bedroom set, several exercise machines, car batteries, an empty oil drum, beer cans, a wine bottle, lots of spring water bottles and the worst, condoms.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:38 AM   #31
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
"...We owned a small island on the lake and had the same problem jrc and airwaves referred to. Beer cans, soda cans, underwear. We always ended up bringing a garbage bad full of trash home. Using the path as a bathroom..."
Relax, that's the trash you can see around your island.

Meredith has contracted for a lakewater quality study this year measuring caffeine.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:37 PM   #32
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
Meredith has contracted for a lakewater quality study this year measuring caffeine.
Way off topic, but I was reading an article in Playboy (yes, I do read the articles) about the strange things found in water, like caffeine, cocaine, ect. Some river in Australia flows something like 4 kilo's of coke a day! And I used to worry about what the fish did in the water, now I can just imagine what I get a mouthful of every time I swim in the lake.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #33
Lakegeezer

Default Its in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
...And I used to worry about what the fish did in the water, now I can just imagine what I get a mouthful of every time I swim in the lake.
Hey, it’s all about the water! We all have a common disease from those inevitable sips of the waters of Winnipesaukee.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 AM   #34
MJM

Default Try Squam

We camped on an island on Squam, and it was a FANTASTIC experience. Maintained sites, some with platforms, porta potties (in rustic shelters), etc.

We highly recommend it.

http://www.squamlakes.org/sla/camping.htm
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #35
T.H.E. Binz

Default Island Camping

With regards to the original question psoted in this thread, try contacting the Squam Lakes Association. I believe they rent primitive campsites on two islands in Squam Lake (and canoes to get there as well.)
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #36
bdbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
This brings up the issue with the Lakes Region Conservatory Trust, who owns the Castle in the Clouds estate. They are very adamant about very limited recreational use of the land. I notice that they are very liberal about posting no trespassing signs around the property. A while ago there was an issue about closing down a main snowmobile corridor that cuts through the land.
I notice that they did the same thing to the Timber Island property.
Broadhopper -- I think if you look closely at the Castle in the Clouds property you will find that those signs relate to when hunting is and isn't permitted, and that they are not No Trespassing signs. As for Timber Island, it's my understanding that the Trust holds only a conservation easement on the property, meaning that it remains privately owned by other parties who have the right to control access.
bdbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #37
kmg

Smile all islands are private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good N' You? View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I figured that about the private islands. But I was hoping there might be some not so public secrets. I will try and contact the YMCA as I am a member of a YMCA near my home. So long as its not posted and there are no homes on the island, is should be legal? I always practice leave it as you found it, so thats shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks again,
Good N' You?
I would be sure to have written permission (signed) from property owner before you step onto anyone's property, especially island property. If you think to rely on an old common law to camp out you will likely take your life in your hands. Even neighbors look out and protect against trespassers. It's only state owned property that is trespassable, unless posted. Most property owners call the police if you anchor near their property, immagine if you trespass. GET PERMISSION OR DON'T DO IT.
kmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #38
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg View Post
I would be sure to have written permission (signed) from property owner before you step onto anyone's property, especially island property. If you think to rely on an old common law to camp out you will likely take your life in your hands. Even neighbors look out and protect against trespassers. It's only state owned property that is trespassable, unless posted. Most property owners call the police if you anchor near their property, immagine if you trespass. GET PERMISSION OR DON'T DO IT.
Written permission is a great idea and will save you being hassled. But your post is wrong. Did you read any of this thread? You have implied permission unless someone tells you don't.

"take your life in your hands" come on lighten up, no ones going kill you for camping on their island. They will ask you to leave and escalate to calling the MP but unless you're threatening them or camping in their living room they ain't going to kill you. Unless it's posted, the worst that can happen is that you are asked to leave. If it is posted, you can be fined. You can't kill someone for tresspassing.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #39
Orion

Default better wait 'till Fall......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
In many locations on Winnipesaukee islands, the "high-water mark" (where Winnipesaukee's reach legally welcomes visitors) can extend 20 feet (or more) inland.

Why not pitch your camp up to that point from the water?
.....or be comfortable tenting in about 6 inches of water!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #40
Kamper

Winni is my favorite place to boat, but if you want to try other waters so you can camp on an island, check the KOA books or even a road atlas. About 10 years ago I took a trip to Champlain and there were several islands listed in one of the guides, as having public camping. At least one of those was a state park.

Unfortunatly, I had an "engine casualty" and had to cut the trip short after just one long day.

FYI, if you ever have the opportunity to camp on a river island bring ear-plugs. It suprised me how much noise the Merrimack River can make!

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #41
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Winni is my favorite place to boat, but if you want to try other waters so you can camp on an island, check the KOA books or even a road atlas. About 10 years ago I took a trip to Champlain and there were several islands listed in one of the guides, as having public camping. At least one of those was a state park.

Unfortunatly, I had an "engine casualty" and had to cut the trip short after just one long day.

FYI, if you ever have the opportunity to camp on a river island bring ear-plugs. It suprised me how much noise the Merrimack River can make!

Good luck!
Where abouts on the Merrimack have you camped?
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #42
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Where abouts on the Merrimack have you camped?

My grandparents used to own one of the small islands opposite the Budweiser brewery in Merrimack.

I believe they technicaly belong to the Hudson water department now because they bought the land 20 years ago for a pumping station that has never been built.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #43
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
My grandparents used to own one of the small islands opposite the Budweiser brewery in Merrimack.

I believe they technicaly belong to the Hudson water department now because they bought the land 20 years ago for a pumping station that has never been built.
Gotcha...Cool!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #44
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Well poison ivy will ruin it for the owner as well as the uninvited visitor. If you think underwear is strange, I've found a complete bedroom set, several exercise machines, car batteries, an empty oil drum, beer cans, a wine bottle, lots of spring water bottles and the worst, condoms.
I've found underwear around my place a few times. Creepy. One day I returned home from a walk to find a boat at my dock and a family playing frisbee in my front yard. I'm up there all summer, so there was visual evidence that I must have been close by - but that didn't stop these people. It took me 15 minutes to get them to leave and they weren't at all apologetic for being there. And when I say they were in my front yard, I literally mean within 0 - 10 feet from my house. in fact, I think one of the kids was sitting on my porch steps.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life View Post
I've found underwear around my place a few times. Creepy. One day I returned home from a walk to find a boat at my dock and a family playing frisbee in my front yard. I'm up there all summer, so there was visual evidence that I must have been close by - but that didn't stop these people. It took me 15 minutes to get them to leave and they weren't at all apologetic for being there. And when I say they were in my front yard, I literally mean within 0 - 10 feet from my house. in fact, I think one of the kids was sitting on my porch steps.
Some people have a lot of nerve. I could tell tons of stories about people on my property. I have found that cell phone cameras are a godsend. I had some kids looking for a party place last summer. I saw them park, and went over with my cell phone and started taking picture of their license plates. When they came to ask what I was doing, I took their pictures. They left in a hurry.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #46
Rattlesnake Guy

A friend of mine took some pictures of kids attempting to jump snow mobiles across a large ditch in his back yard then asked them to take a hike. A few hours later the parent arrived demanding that he delete the picture from his camera. No apology and I am sure no lesson for the kid.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 AM   #47
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
A friend of mine took some pictures of kids attempting to jump snow mobiles across a large ditch in his back yard then asked them to take a hike. A few hours later the parent arrived demanding that he delete the picture from his camera. No apology and I am sure no lesson for the kid.
Wow! That is unreal. Some people just don't get it.