Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
lovetheforum

Default The Restaurant

Does anyone know what's going on at The Restuarant? Last Saturday we went there and just got our drinks, when our server came over and told us that they would not be serving any more meals and that we had to leave. I've watched enough Kitchen Nightmares not to ask any questions and just leave.
lovetheforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Heaven

Did you have to leave immediately or could you stay for drinks? Last Saturday, it is surprising it has been a week with no other mention of the issue.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Old Hubbard Rd

Default The Restaurant???

Where is "The Restaurant"?
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Just one question, parts a and b.

So maybe it is two questions. What time did you get there and what time do they close. Not familiar with them.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
Where is "The Restaurant"?
The Restaurant 03894, INC
P.O. Box 2115
37 North Main Street
Wolfeboro, NH 03894

http://www.therestaurant03894.com/
Old Hubbard Rd (03-10-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

They are at the Markeplace in Wolfeboro, beside where the pottery shop used to be. Sort of across from Strawberry Patch, next to Nordic Skiier, Colonial Arms building. Does any of that help?

They were open yesterday as I know someone who went for lunch. I did hear they are closing for two weeks to do some renovations or something.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Old Hubbard Rd (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheforum View Post
Does anyone know what's going on at The Restuarant? Last Saturday we went there and just got our drinks, when our server came over and told us that they would not be serving any more meals and that we had to leave. I've watched enough Kitchen Nightmares not to ask any questions and just leave.
Sounds like you went too close to the closing time. That seems like the only reasonable explanation.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Unhappy checked their website...

...and they post their dinner hours as from 5-close....makes it easy to close early...but also serves to confuse customers.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
gokart-mozart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheforum View Post
I think that, since the head chef (Siobahn) and the manager (Rob) have both left, a lot of what made The Restaurant what it was has left as well.

They may be able to re-invent themselves, or they may not. The food was good but not great, but the ambiance was terrific.

Best of luck to them in a tough, tough business.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Highlander

We have not been to The Restaurant since last fall and was unaware that they have had staff changes. Hope it does not have any negative impact on the quality of the food and the service but usually with the Chef goes the food. Wishing them the best it is a great location and enjoyable summer option that is accessible by water.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Kirk

I heard through the rumor mill that Kirk, formerly of teh Woodshed may be headed there as the chef.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
tis

This was on Facebook. Looks like the rumors are true.

The Restaurant
Its almost been four years since we opened and we look forward to many more.
Thank you to all of out loyal customers and great staff, we could not do it without you.
Closed for two weeks to do some big projects and spring cleaning as we approach our fifth summer season.
We can't wait to see you soon to show you all of the exciting changes.
Stay tuned for some big news.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Patiently Watching (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Patiently Watching

There are indeed many positive changes going on at 'the restaurant' and the next two weeks closed will be well worth the wait.
In addition to kitchen repairs and spring cleaning, among the biggest news is that Kirk Daniels has joined the team bringing his years of experience (4yrs/Bald Peak, 12yrs/The Woodshed) to the food service and will be working along with current chef Nick McGuire (who was the original chef at the opening in 2009 and is responsible for many of the favorite menu items) starting.
Sadly, Lydia's Meeting House did not work out in the space next door, so it has opened up the opportunity for expansion and will become the pub side of 'the restaurant' when it all reopens in early April.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patiently Watching For This Useful Post:
Heaven (03-15-2013), tis (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Billy Bob

Default people from the old Woodshed

well the Woodshed ended up on the forclosure auction block. mostly because of the decline in food quality and service . Good luck with the change
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
JDeere (03-17-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
BrownstoneNorth

Default Color me skeptical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
There are indeed many positive changes going on at 'the restaurant' and the next two weeks closed will be well worth the wait.
In addition to kitchen repairs and spring cleaning, among the biggest news is that Kirk Daniels has joined the team bringing his years of experience (4yrs/Bald Peak, 12yrs/The Woodshed) to the food service and will be working along with current chef Nick McGuire (who was the original chef at the opening in 2009 and is responsible for many of the favorite menu items) starting.
Sadly, Lydia's Meeting House did not work out in the space next door, so it has opened up the opportunity for expansion and will become the pub side of 'the restaurant' when it all reopens in early April.

Nothing about this latest development in the musical chairs game that's been going on over there with The Restaurant, Lydia's, and Café Olé sounds "positive" to me. A popular little establishment expands and supposedly improves itself in the bigger space while a promising little new one opens in its former space, and both abruptly close about three months after opening in the off-season with rotten weather because the reinvented Lydia's "did not work out"?

We never thought that turning Lydia's into a big place that would compete with The Restaurant in the evenings made any sense, and the news of Rob's departure was a major bummer, but our family was really looking forward to Café Olé, based on photos and descriptions of their creative offerings and the enthusiastic reactions of customers on Facebook. Now you've apparently been told the former Café Olé, née Lydia's, or did you mean the more recently former Lydia's Meeting House, née Cornish Pottery, will serve as "the pub side" of The Restaurant?? Doesn't exactly square with these postings on the official Lydia's Meeting House and Café Olé Facebook pages, but either way, my rule of thumb is that people who don't know what they're doing...don't know what they're doing.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lydias...=wall&viewas=0
https://www.facebook.com/CafeOleWolfeboro

Tuesday
Good Tuesday Morning!
An old English proverb has it that “opportunity seldom knocks twice”. Seldom it may be, but it has happened today – an opportunity loaded with positive possibilities knocked, and walked right through a welcoming doorway.

Effective next week, Hunter Emory will bring Lydia’s Café back into the Café Olé space and offer a combination menu featuring the best of these two popular eating places – and more!

Café Olé will be closed for business as of today, but do drop by if you’re passing by and let us know which of our menu items you would like to see continue at the new Lydia’s Café. If you still have a Café Olé Gift Certificate, please know that these will be honored at Lydia’s.

The most rewarding and joyful experience at Café Olé is the enthusiastic support the community is giving to the concept of an organic, local and seasonal dining experience, and fulfilling the needs of those with special dietary needs such as gluten-free, raw and vegan. And, a happy satisfaction comes from knowing that Café Olé‘s mission is being given the possibility to continue its growth from seed to plant this Spring. Thank you for your generous support, your meaningful conversations, your helpful feedback and your warm companionship this Winter - please continue to nurture this seed with Hunter at Lydia’s Cafe!
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
Den65

Default Looking forward to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post

I have not been to this restaurant but I am looking forward to coming when you re-open. I have been enjoying Kirk's cooking for year's and I'm sure he has not lost his touch with a peice of beef. I think he will be a great addition to your staff. I'm sure it will be worth the drive.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
emma-leigh

It is true that Kirk Daniels formerly of The Woodshed will be the evecutive chef at The Restaurant. It is not uncommon for restaurants to close in the area for a few weeks for spring cleaning and updating in March. It is a very quiet time in the area. I have enjoyed The Restaurant the times that I have gone, but now I looking forward to going back and enjoying Kirk's food again. As for Billy Bob's comment about the Woodshed "landing on the forcloser block" do you know for a fact that it was because of the food quality, or was there other circumstances that you weren't aware of. I feel it is tacky to speculate about someone's hardship. Kirk is an amazing chef with a great reputation. Congrats to him and all The Restaurant staff. I look forward to going in again as soon as it reopens!!!
emma-leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emma-leigh For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
Jeanzb1

We've been there a few times, and I'm sure hoping that with the planned changes that they continue to have their "Baked Hummus with Deep Fried Chips." Oh my, it is sooooooo delicious!!!1
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma-leigh View Post
It is true that Kirk Daniels formerly of The Woodshed will be the evecutive chef at The Restaurant. It is not uncommon for restaurants to close in the area for a few weeks for spring cleaning and updating in March. It is a very quiet time in the area. I have enjoyed The Restaurant the times that I have gone, but now I looking forward to going back and enjoying Kirk's food again. As for Billy Bob's comment about the Woodshed "landing on the forcloser block" do you know for a fact that it was because of the food quality, or was there other circumstances that you weren't aware of. I feel it is tacky to speculate about someone's hardship. Kirk is an amazing chef with a great reputation. Congrats to him and all The Restaurant staff. I look forward to going in again as soon as it reopens!!!
"Tacky" is not the worst thing I have been accused of being. But please do a LITTLE research before you question the reason the Woodshed went under. It is and has been one of the nicest spots on the lake. Take a look at yelp and last years posts on the forum and it's very clear why folks stopped going , food and service. You will also see that the new folks have it together and the Woodshed is back.
The good news is you will be able to get in with no problem , the number of people trying to find the wood sheds old staff will probably be limited .
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
camp guy

Default the Restaurant

Let's not have this discussion devolve into an unpleasant discussion. There is plenty of room in the area for many restaurants, and everyone is entitled to his or her favorite, or not so favorite, but I hate to see the commentary become negative. People need to make their own decisions based on what they like, what they experience, and how they are treated.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
lovetheforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma-leigh View Post
You are on to something about the general public may not know all the circumstances around the Woodshed going up for auction. However, it does not change the fact that Kirk was at the helm when the ship went down. I do wish Kirk and The Restaurant well and hope they can turn things around.
lovetheforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
emma-leigh

Just to be clear Billy Bob, I did do my research. In 2008 it was posted on this very forum that the owners of the Woodshed divorced. Usually divorces don't end well, and that could have been part of the problem. I don't understand how this thread about the Restaurant turned into being about the Woodshed. My research shows that there are plenty of threads for the Woodshed that you and I can comment on. As for the Restaurant, I can't wait to make a reservation when they reopen and take my family in for dinner. I am also excited to experience the changes at Lydia's. Does anyone know when they will reopen?
emma-leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
CateP

Default Dining Drama

As a resident of Wolfeboro and friend of Hunter's, I was really hoping Lydia's Meeting House would flourish. It was just getting started. I don't know all the details of this dining drama and I'm happy about that. I am going to give both establishments an chance after this transition. As they say, the proof is in the_____ (fill in blank with favorite food).
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
patman

I drove by today and noticed that there was a message written on the (former) meeting house door in shoepolish: "Opening Wednesday April 17th"

patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #25
Merrymeeting

We were at The Restaurant for dinner on Wednesday (It was good as before).

According to the waiter, the renovations on the restaurant side were mostly in the kitchen, and not much will change there. As noted, the other side will open next week, and it will be a pub/tavern type place with some of the menu items of the restaurant but more limited.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
camp guy

Default the Restaurant

Oh, goody, just what Wolfeboro needs, another place to get drunk, and on Main Street, too. Maybe the police cars that are patrolling north Main Street will hang out nearer town and catch few more people.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
We were at The Restaurant for dinner on Wednesday (It was good as before).

According to the waiter, the renovations on the restaurant side were mostly in the kitchen, and not much will change there. As noted, the other side will open next week, and it will be a pub/tavern type place with some of the menu items of the restaurant but more limited.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they have done with the new building. I have a feeling that it might offer the best atmosphere/food combination in Wolfeboro.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Oh, goody, just what Wolfeboro needs, another place to get drunk, and on Main Street, too. Maybe the police cars that are patrolling north Main Street will hang out nearer town and catch few more people.
You never know, but I think it could be quite nice, maybe a lighter menu??
Old 05-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
MJM

Default Great & Gluten Free

We ate there last weekend and had a great experience overall. The server was excellent, we all (5 of us) enjoyed our meals.

What's really promising is that they are very much in tune with the needs of gluten-free. Excellent GF meals, and they are expanding that aspect of their offerings (e.g. we were told they will soon have a dedicated GF fryolater).

We'll be back!
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJM For This Useful Post:
winnisummergal (05-24-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #30
lake_summer

Default That stinks

That is awful to hear! we always enjoy the food and service there. When we are at our summer home that is our go to place or yummy food.
Certainly used to beat the portion sizes of Garwoods
I did hear that since the Restaurants big move things are a little different?
lake_summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #31
bostonjd

Default Best restaurant in Wolfeboro IMO

When we bring family members with us on vacation, they always rave about The Restaurant. It has issues like every restaurant at times, but I think it has the best food and cool vibe. We ate their twice in July and both times were Excellent!
bostonjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bostonjd For This Useful Post:
Heaven (08-08-2013)