Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Rich

Cool Winni newbie

I have been reading this Winni forum for a while and finally decided to register.

I've been coming up to the area for years. I always wanted a boat on the water, but never thought I could afford one (lately the cost of fuel is almost more frightening than the cost of the boat!).

A couple of years ago, I rented a bowrider and decided that those are too small for my tastes on the lake (my dad was part owner in a 44ft Egg Harbor out of Gloucester, so I spent almost every other weekend on the ocean during my teens).

I happened upon a boat that I can afford as it will need a lot of love and attention (don't they all) to bring up to snuff. It mostly needs cosmetic help (I hope). As an example, I'm trying to find someone to do some re-upholstering at a reasonable price. So far, the prices I've seen are crazy!

If all goes well, I'll be on the water starting this weekend, or sometime next week.

I don't normally do this but I thought I'd post a newbie 'hello' message as there seems to be a lot of good information and friendly people here.

So hello in advance and I hope to be waving at you on the water soon!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
NH_boater (06-07-2012), Rangervx (06-18-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
NH_boater

Welcome aboard
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
RLW

Rich, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I sure hope you have fun giving the your new boat it’s TLC. There are many knowledgeable friends here on the forum that will be able to give great suggestion if help is needed.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
NoBozo

Welcome aboard Rich. There is nothing on the lake comparable to an Egg. Nothing. You may want to lower your expectations a little. Boating on the lake ...is nothing like boating in salt water in an Egg. The average size boat on the lake is..maybe 22 feet. The big boats here are just pretenders....Just sayin.. NB

PS: For those on the lake..Egg Harbor is the TOP of the line in Blue (Salt) Water Power Boating.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Rich

Thanks all for the welcome! I appreciate it.

As to knowing that I'm not in an Egg on salt water... yeah I know!

Back in the day, that Egg was a 27 ton wooden hull, with the topside all teak, twin 400 horse diesels, etc. Plus I was experiencing it durin gmy teen years, so I most probably have a distorted sense of what was reality!

I'm starting out with a 27 ft glass, single 300 hp outdrive.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
MiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Welcome aboard Rich. There is nothing on the lake comparable to an Egg. Nothing. You may want to lower your expectations a little. Boating on the lake ...is nothing like boating in salt water in an Egg. The average size boat on the lake is..maybe 22 feet. The big boats here are just pretenders....Just sayin.. NB

PS: For those on the lake..Egg Harbor is the TOP of the line in Blue (Salt) Water Power Boating.
That's not a fair statement, most people with larger boats use them as summer homes and stay on the boats most weekends. The lake belongs to all
MiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiFi For This Useful Post:
Rich (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Welcome to the forum

The Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron provides free vessel safety inspections. See our website for details, but the 6-23 weekend is a busy one at most of the Town Docks lrsps.org. We check to make sure you have all of teh proper safety gear and equipment, PDFs, lioghting, etc. It is confidential, meaning that we do not report deficencies to any law enforcement agencies. Our goal is to educate the Owner when needed.

Have fun out there, get a good chart and explore!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Rich (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Rich

Thanks for this! It was on my 'list of things to do' right away.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiFi View Post
That's not a fair statement, most people with larger boats use them as summer homes and stay on the boats most weekends. The lake belongs to all
I think most of us (even the newbies) know this!

These are my exact plans... the boat is big enough for weekending and the boat will literally be our 'Summer Home'.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
....the boat will literally be our 'Summer Home'.
It's a great life and we love it.

Lake vs ocean is a personal choice, I like warm, clean water, for me and my boat likes the lack of salt.

If that makes me a pretender to Nobozo, I'll live with it.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
jrc

A couple thing a ocean boater might not know about weekending on the lake:

You can't anchor out overnight. It's a law, you must be back at your slip or mooring to sleep.

You can't dump black water or gray water in the lake. Not even if you could find a place 3 miles from shore.

On the gray water, your boat needs to capture and store all gray water. Sinks and showers, need to dump into a tank and not overboard.

There is a little DES boat around that will randomly check.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
NoBozo

Some of you people seem to be a little defensive. For those of you who likely have never heard of the builder, an Egg Harbor is competent Blue Water power boat....NOT a Houseboat. I guess THAT was my point. NB
Old 06-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
A couple thing a ocean boater might not know about weekending on the lake:

You can't anchor out overnight. It's a law, you must be back at your slip or mooring to sleep.
Just a slight clarification, you CAN sleep on your boat at your dock but NOT when it is on the mooring - against the law.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Merrymeeting

Rich,

Welcome to the forum and boating on the big lake. The enthusiasm and excitement of your purchase and family enjoyment comes through on your first post. I hope you and your family enjoy the forum, the lake, and your new boat.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Some of you people seem to be a little defensive. For those of you who likely have never heard of the builder, an Egg Harbor is competent Blue Water power boat....NOT a Houseboat. I guess THAT was my point. NB
People weren't being defensive. They know what's what. We all get Soundings, the Boat US magazine, Yachting..what evah...we have lived life...we know what an Egg Harbor is and we're all duly impressed.

Congrats and welcome to the OP, Rich. The lake is awesome. : )

Last edited by WakeboardMom; 06-09-2012 at 03:34 AM.
WakeboardMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WakeboardMom For This Useful Post:
NH_boater (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #16
Rich

Thanks again all!

Even if I won't have an Egg Harbour on the lake!

Thanks for all the reminders as to the differences on the lake vs the ocean. This boat has spent it's entire life on the lake, so it's already setup properly. And I am aware of the over nighting rules.

I'll be on an older 27 ft Maxum. It looks like my launch date has pushed out to next Wednesday. Let's hope that all goes well from my ride from the Alton Bay area to Smith Cove. Is there anything notable that I should be aware of when doing this route for the first time? I didn't see anything of note on the Bizer chart along the route, so I just want to be sure I don't miss anything.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Dave R

Welcome! Alton Bay to Smith Cove is an easy ride. Nothing confusing to navigate on that route. Good luck with your boat.

I have recently discovered that upholstery work is quite time consuming and good vinyl and foam is really expensive. I doubt you'll find many bargains.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #18
Rich

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcomes!

I made the easy trip from Alton Bay to Smith Cove yesterday, so I'm now officially "On The Lake™" !
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
witchboat

Default newebie

I would strongly recomend having a GPS onboard with the lake maps loaded.
witchboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #20
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Not to argue but Egg Harbor boats are nice but "the" top of the line has only one spot. Take a look at a comparable size Rybovich, Viking, or Bertram to name a few that come quickly to mind.

But getting back to the point, for these Yachts, Lake Winni is a very small pond. I never understood the desire to have a huge boat here when in the ocean the possibilities are endless.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
Not to argue but Egg Harbor boats are nice but "the" top of the line has only one spot. Take a look at a comparable size Rybovich, Viking, or Bertram to name a few that come quickly to mind.

But getting back to the point, for these Yachts, Lake Winni is a very small pond. I never understood the desire to have a huge boat here when in the ocean the possibilities are endless.

Because on really windy, rough days, it is SO nice to not feel the bumps!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchboat View Post
I would strongly recomend having a GPS onboard with the lake maps loaded.
I like toys and don't want to find any rocks... so I already have both Bizer's on board (paper and Garmin GPS).
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post

I totally agree. I could have said Arguably Egg Harbor is Top of the line. And then..Compared to what.? I suggest that this question will never be settled. What parameter would be THE Most important in determining TOP of the line.?? Quality of build..Sea worthyness..Dependability..Fuel efficiency..WOW Factor..etc etc. Some people would say Price.

The answer would vary between one "Knowledgeable" person and the next. The person most qualified might be an Owner....but that would also likely be a biased answer. SO: It may just be all about personal taste. NB
Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
I totally agree. I could have said Arguably Egg Harbor is Top of the line. And then..Compared to what.? I suggest that this question will never be settled. What parameter would be THE Most important in determining TOP of the line.?? Quality of build..Sea worthyness..Dependability..Fuel efficiency..WOW Factor..etc etc. Some people would say Price.

The answer would vary between one "Knowledgeable" person and the next. The person most qualified might be an Owner....but that would also likely be a biased answer. SO: It may just be all about personal taste. NB
Sorry for going off topic....last post from me on this....Age old argument I suppose. In the big boat world, Egg Harbors are considered a light boat maybe not so much so as an Oceans Yacht....but still a lighter boat for its class.

I do know of an Egg that hit something not so big in Buzzards Bay and went for a fast trip to the bottom....story for another day.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
Rich

No matter if you think an Egg is the top dog or not...

As a teenager, it was just a boat! And we enjoyed the heck out of it.

I almost got to sit in the fighting chair when we hooked up on a Bluefin once, but someone grabbed the rod too soon and the fish spit out the hook.

So much for my fish story! The closest I come to that now is I cought a few episodes of 'Wicked Tuna' recently. It brought back a lot of memories!