Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
PaulT

Default Looking for a picture

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has a picture of the steamboat "Mohawk".

I found out last week that one of my co-worker's father-in-law used to own her.

Thanks in advance
Paul
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulT For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-25-2011)
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
RLW

Default Welcome and good luck locating the Mohawk

PaulT, glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum and good luck locating the steamboat Mohawk. Maybe our good friend McDude might have something about the boat.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Mohawk

That may be difficult but I'll take a run at it; First and best bet is of course McDude;

Last year I inventoried every steam boat I could find into a simple spreadsheet with a few specs (length, owner, fate) that was on Winni, totaling 119 vessels;

Quick check indicates she was on the lake from 1890 to 1906, at which point burned in boathouse fire in 1909.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Maybe check with these folks...

http://www.sshsa.org/

Steamship Historical Society.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Paul: See if you can find a copy of "Steamboats in Motion - Lake Winnipesaukee" by Bruce Heald (1984) There are a few copies available at Amazon. There are lots of great pics of the old steamboats but none of the Mohawk regretably. On p.54 he talks about the Mohawk;
Quote:
Continuing into the 1890s, we encounter several steamers on the big Lake. .......The MOHAWK was owned by Dr. F. E. Greene, as well as the WINDEMERE, a twin to the WEST WIND, owned by Dr. Libby of Wolfeboro. (as in Libby Museum) The builders of the MOHAWK was (sic) George Whitney, Frank Lamprey, Capt. Charles Tuttle, Engineer, who later became captain and owner of RELIANCE. An interesting feature of the MOHAWK was her steam whistle with a built in plunger which produced musical notes. She was later destroyed when the boathouse burned in 1906.
More on DR. F.E. GREENE

MORE on WINNI STEAMBOATS

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Rag Top Daze

Default Keep it local

Two local sources for Bruce Heald's books are the gift shops at the m/s Mount Washington and Wolfeboro Boat Museum. If you find that they have the book mentioned, you can look through to make sure the picture you want is in it before you buy. And it's nice to support local businesses.

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has a picture of the steamboat "Mohawk".

I found out last week that one of my co-worker's father-in-law used to own her.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Rattlesnake Gal found a picture of the Mohawk and will post it on Wendsday.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Paul: See if you can find a copy of "Steamboats in Motion - Lake Winnipesaukee" by Bruce Heald (1984) There are a few copies available at Amazon. There are lots of great pics of the old steamboats but none of the Mohawk regretably. On p.54 he talks about the Mohawk;

More on DR. F.E. GREENE

MORE on WINNI STEAMBOATS
Mcdude, do you have any more information about the West Wind, owned by Dr Libby? I am very interested because my grandfather set up the museum with Dr. Libby. My grandparents lived in the house across the street for a while until my grandmother was expecting another child and felt it would be too hard to have a toddler and an infant so close to the water. But anyway, I would love to know more about the boat, if it still exists etc. Thanks.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
mcdude

PaulT: Was your co-worker's father-in-law Dr. Greene?

Old 04-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
do you have any more information about the West Wind, owned by Dr Libby? Thanks.
CLICK here for pic....

Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Dr. Greene's MOHAWK & Dr. Libby's WEST WIND

Dr. F. E. Green's steam yacht MOHAWK

Quote:
Mcdude, do you have any more information about the West Wind, owned by Dr Libby? I am very interested because my grandfather set up the museum with Dr. Libby. My grandparents lived in the house across the street for a while until my grandmother was expecting another child and felt it would be too hard to have a toddler and an infant so close to the water. But anyway, I would love to know more about the boat, if it still exists etc. Thanks.
The late '80's and the '90's were years of great expansion in the Lakes Region. They were the years when the great summer estates were built and most of them boasted a steam yacht.

Dr. F. E. Greene owned Windermere, with its broad acres and beautiful shores, to which he brought the steam yacht MOHAWK. This trim little boat was a twin to WEST WIND, which was owned by Dr. Libby of Wolfeborough. A distinguishing feature of these boats provided by their well-known builder, George Whitney, was a steam-whistle with a built-in plunger. The purpose of this plunger was to alter the size of the sound chamber so that different musical notes could be sounded, and thus simple tunes could be played. Frank Lamprey was captain of MOHAWK and Charles Tuttle, who in later years owned and captained RELIANCE, was engineer.

MOHAWK was destroyed when her boathouse burned 1906.

The following year Dr. F. E. Greene saw a yacht that pleased him in the George Lawley boat yard. It was brought to the lake where it was completely refurbished and named WINDERMERE.

The Graceful WEST WIND of 1891 built for Dr. John Libby of Wolfeboro by George Whitney.

Photograph and information from Farewell Old Mount Washington by Edward H. Blackstone.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
eileen (05-20-2011), Jonas Pilot (04-27-2011), Just Sold (04-27-2011), mcdude (04-27-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
tis

Thank you so much RG. Now I am going to go search books to see if I can find a picture too.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
NoBozo

Nice pictures RG: In the OLD days a steam yacht was required by law to have a Licensed Engineer aboard. Technology was such that we didn't know how far we could go before the boiler would blow up. To increase speed..power..just increase pressure in the boiler. Opening a valve a little more. The only limit was how much pressure the boiler could take. Boiler explosions were not uncommon.

Today ..a License is not required. I don't know the particulars..boiler pressure..engine HP..etc. The boats seen at the Steamboat Festival at Lees Mills every year are NOT big. Maybe a steamboat enthusiast can chime in and clarify this. I am just an "interested" observer that asks a lot of questions. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
tis

RG, thanks so much for the tips. The Images of America, Wolfeboro book I do have but can't find a pic of West Wind in there. But I did find it in "Images of America, The Boats and Ports of Lake Winnipesaukee" and also in "Steamboats in Motion" Now I want to find out who owns it now, if it is still around.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #15
PaulT

Thank you all for your help!!!!!

Been crazy busy the last week +, and just got back to see all the responses.

Got to be careful now...if I get into the History forum here, I'll be late for work again!

I'm going to send the info to my coworker.

Thank you again!!!!!
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Winnipesaukee Steamboats

I just found an excerpt from Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee, by Paul H. Blaisdell in 1936 regarding George Eli Whitney, a builder of these fine steamboats:

Henry F. Libby of Wolfeboro, who built the Libby Museum, operated the Mohawk, (I am sure they really mean West Wind) a product of George Eli Whitney, and one of several boats on Winnipesaukee from this fine builder. Incidentally Mr. Whitney is now a New Hampshire resident at Island Pond, Derry, where he operates the last of the many steamers which bear his name as builder. A trip around that historic and mysterious lake with its black, peroxide-pure water, on George Whitney's "Ida F" is an experience no lover of fine boats should miss. The care and precision with which the boat was built is shown in its amazingly perfect condition. The Whitney plunger steamship whistle, with its merry tunes, still plays at Island Pond. These whistles were frequently heard on Winnipesaukee as late as 1920, but few, if any are now left in service.
Makes me glad for the steamboat rally in Lee's Mills each year!

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 04-28-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
tis

I wonder if he would know if the West Wind still exists. It probably doesn't but it would sure be nice to know. When I was tiny, I went for a ride in a steamboat, it belonged to -----(maybe John?) Brewster who lived in Winter Harbor. I can barely remember it.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:33 AM   #18
ApS

Quote:
Tis, you might also try Genealogical and Family History of New Hampshire.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cfo...=libby&f=false

I found the print too small to read and the site difficult to navigate, but if you put "dr.libby" (no space) into the tiny search window, a few boating references turn up among those huge volumes.

A few days ago, my Dad happened to mention Dr. Libby with respect to floatplanes in the Lakes Region. I learned that Dr. Libby flew a Stinson Gull Wing on floats, and stored it on a ramp on Mirror Lake close to the museum.

Dr. Libby's takeoffs and landings from Mirror Lake would have been spectacular, but those events had long preceded us.

Right?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote