Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Lakewinniboater

Talking ATV trails

Hi there,

We just bought our son an ATV. I am looking for some legal and SAFE places for him to ride. We are in Alton Bay... however, would consider trails really anywhere.

We are also looking for some near home in Westford, MA too.

Any suggestions or warnings??

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
jimbob1603

Default ATVs, ATVs Everywhere, But Not A Trail To Ride!

When I go 4 wheeling, I need to trailer them several hours into Maine before I find that ATVs are 'socially acceptable'. NH makes a feeble attempt to provide a few local trails, but they usually cover only a few miles. There are some good riding areas in NH, but most are too out of the way. Visit www.nhtrails.org for more info on sanctioned public ATV trails. There are no worthwhile public riding areas in The People's Republic of Massachusetts; and probably never will. Most MA ATVers ride illegally, and/or go out of state to pursue their recreation

I don't understand why, but ATVs seem to be universally frowned upon by much of main stream society in New England; while snowmobiles are viewed as family oriented, fun, clean, wholesome recreation. Generally speaking, both ATVs and snowmobiles, and their riders, share common undesirable side effects: noise, air pollution, and empty beer cans littering the trails. Unfortunately, too many inconsiderate folks of both recreations tend to tarnish the public's viewpoint.

Good or bad, as our winters produce less snow and push snowmobilers farther north each year, ATVs are becoming more popular. Sales are booming, much more so than for snowmobiles. So, its going to get interesting in the coming years to see how the politicians work this out.

Last edited by jimbob1603; 04-25-2006 at 09:56 AM.
jimbob1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Skip

Default NH Trails Bureau website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewinniboater
...We just bought our son an ATV. I am looking for some legal and SAFE places for him to ride...Any suggestions...
Here's a great place to garner information on the trail systems in New Hampshire. Make sure to read up on the Berlin system coming on line, it is sure to become the mecca of four wheeling in the region!

NH ATV Trail Bureau website

Have fun,

Skip

Last edited by Skip; 04-25-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default ATV Trails?

Lakewinniboater

Did you ask the ATV dealer where your Son could "LEGALY" ride his ATV? If you did I would like to know where he said you could ride? Did the Dealer recommend that your Son take an ATV SAFTY COURSE? There are several coming up in early May, check Trails Bureau Website http://www.nhtrails.org/. The closest ATV group is the Belknap ATV Club Trails.

Jimbob1603,

It’s called SOIL ERROSION and WANTEN DISREGARD FOR LANDOWNWERS RIGHTS!

The ATV community (and Snowmobilers) has a certain number of riders who are basically Renegades, who will ride any where the feel like. That is what is giving ATV riders a BLACK EYE in the public’s perception of ATV riders.

As for snomobile impact on the Envirement please read below.

COMPACTION AND VEGETATION
Everything we do has some effect on the environment. When a hiker steps on a flower, he affects the environment. When land is paved over for a bicycle path, it affects the environment. Many of the foot paths man has used for centuries still exist and are clearly visible throughout the world.
However, it's a fact that a snowmobile and rider exert dramatically less pressure on the earth's surface than other recreational activities (i.e., just one-tenth the pressure of a hiker and one-sixteenth the pressure of a horseback rider). Average pounds of pressure per square inch exerted on earth's surface:

Object Lbs. of Pressure
Four-Wheel Drive Vehicle 30
Horse 8
Man 5
All-Terrain Vehicle 1.5
Snowmobile (Snow Traveling Vehicle) 0.5

(All vehicle weights considered include 210 lbs. estimated weight of one person and gear.)

Moreover, the snowmobile's 1/2 pound of pressure is further reduced by an intervening blanket of snow.
In many jurisdictions, snowmobiles are not classified as off-road vehicles. By both definition and management policies, these jurisdictions have completely separated snowmobiles from off-road vehicles. As the U.S. Department of the Interior concluded in an environmental statement:
"A major distinction is warranted between snowmobiles and other types of off-road vehicles. Snowmobiles operated on an adequate snow cover have little effect on soils - and hence cause less severe indirect impacts on air and water quality, and on soil- dependent biotic communities, than other ORV's do."

Given adequate snowfall and responsible operation, all evidence of snowmobile operation disappears when the season changes and the snow melts.

In its environmental statement regarding off-road vehicle use of public lands, the U.S. Department of the Interior stated: "Where snowmobiles are used exclusively over snow on roads and trails, the impact on vegetation is indeed virtually nil."

A University of Wisconsin study of J. W. Pendleton entitled Effect of Snowmobile Traffic on Non-Forest Vegetation discovered that snowmobile traffic had no effect on grain yield of winter wheat, alfalfa, red clover plots or grass legume. Species of turf grass showed slightly reduced yields at first harvest, but were not negatively affected in subsequent harvests.
Research undertaken by Dr. James C. Wittaker and Dennis S. Wentworth of the University of Maine concluded that "compaction by snowmobiling does not alter the grain weight yields of alfalfa in Maine."

A Utah Water Resource Laboratory study found that snow compaction, caused by snowmobile tracks, does not damage wheat crops. Instead, the compaction increases the yield and eliminates snow mold. Erosion is also reduced.

There is no evidence that snow compaction caused by snowmobiling, ski-touring or snowshoeing has a significant impact on the population of small burrowing animals. Since these recreations take place over a minuscule portion of the total land area, the ecosystems of burrowing animals tend to be overwhelmingly affected by natural forces-such as wind-induced compaction, early and late snowfalls, temperature fluctuations resulting in thaws and freezes, etc.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Default White Mountains $25 parking pass

For twenty five dollars you can get a parking permit decal that goes on the lower corner of the car windshield for the White Mountain National Forest. $25. for two vehicles for one year, or $20. for one vehicle for one year.

What would you prefer to do? Haul a 35lb pack up and down Mt Madison-Adams-Jefferson-Clay-Washington-Monroe-Eisenhauer-Webster for a weekend trip or go ATV-ing in Berlin? Except for the Tucks trail up to the bottom of Tuckerman Ravine, none of the hiking trails ever-ever-ever get any type of crowded no matter how bad the holiday and highway traffic.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Major problem

Thumbs up

If you're in Alton Bay you are fortunate to live near one of the best ATV clubs in NH. http://www.newdurhamvalleyatvclub.com/ They have taken up where the Belmont Family Adventurers left off.

They have safety training classes for new riders and a wonderful (legal) trail system.

You didn't say how old your son is but keep in mind that ATV's are not "motorized babysitters". Definately join a club and plan on participating yourself.

As far as riding in Mass goes, there is a very small (5 mile) trail in Georgetown / Rowley State Forest. The only other legal trails in Mass are in the Berkshires. For more info on riding in Mass you can reach me at president@massatv.org
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Lakewinniboater

Default Thank You

Thank you very much!

Fortunately, we did have a reputable dealer and he did recommend courses as well as give him tapes and course info.

My son is almost 13 and will NEVER be aloud out on it alone. He has been riding dirt bikes since he was 8 and we most definitely make sure that he understands how to ride safely and responsibly. I also have NO ISSUE with selling it if he should become irresponsible and he knows it. I am down right MEAN when it comes it enforcing our rules. (according to him!!)

I will certainly look into all of the above and greatly appreciate all of your help. I don't see him and my husband going for long hauls on the ATV but more going to a designate place and riding.

Have a great day!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Major problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
What would you prefer to do? Haul a 35lb pack up and down Mt Madison-Adams-Jefferson-Clay-Washington-Monroe-Eisenhauer-Webster for a weekend trip or go ATV-ing in Berlin?
Definately ATVing!

Berlin's new park promises to be very sucessful in addition to being close to the Sucess, Millsfield Pond, Mead Paper Land & North Country trail systems.

I've done my share of hiking and can appreciate the wilderness but, motorized access is the only viable choice for me now.

I've seen many hiking trail-heads that would serve as poster children for environmental abuse. I strongly recommend that NH institute a mandatory registration fee of $70/yr for all hiking boots (more for non-residents). Reckless hikers have incurred the expesnse of many hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars and risked the lives of many rescuers to save them from their folly. Their fees don't cover the cost of suffering their stupidity.

Hiking may seem to have a lesser impact to wildlife than motorized use but animals are actually more afraid of the stealthy approach of humans than something they can hear approaching from a distance.

The balloon tires of an ATV can have a lesser psi impact on the soil than a pair of hiking boots.

Hikers deposit more litter and bodily waste per square mile than ATVers.

It is much easier and more likely for hikers to stray from designated trails than ATVers.

My point is that ATVing can be an environmentally sustainable and socially responsible activity while big business sponsored hiking isn't always so.

ATVing is the only way I can enjoy the woods that I love and grew up with. I did my share of trail maintainance and cleanups before anyone invented "Earth Day". I've stalked wild animals (with a camera) and taken delight in finding woodland amphibians and rare plants. I'm not a despoiler of these precious resources that many so-called environmentalists would covet for their own selfish and narrow purposes.

The blanket prohibition on ATV use in the White Mountain National Forest for the next 10 yrs was a big mistake. Nobody ever suggested that the entire area be subjected to random and unregulated use. A couple of trails on the periphery were suggested as being suitable and sustainable. The extremist chiken-little types convinced a lot of people that the sky was actually falling.

ATVing is one of the fastest growing outdoor activities in the country. It should be handled in an evironmenatlly and socially responsible manner. I am an ATVer. I am an ardent supporter of safe riding. I shall be ever greatfull to the land owners that allow my presence and I consider myself to be environmentally responsible. I'm not a friend to those short sighted, narrow minded people that choose to bury their head in the sand and refuse to deal with reality.

My apoligies to "lwboater" for highjacking your thread. The New Durham club I mentioned is a really family oriented group. You're fortunate to have them so close. Check them out and thank me by participating.
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
Lakewinniboater

Default no need to apologize

no need to apologize. It is all great info.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #10
Cobalt 25

When you are in Westford, western Massachusetts offers lots of legal trails to use. The state forest system opens on May first. I ride dirt bikes, so my organization is called the New England Trail Riders Association. You can contact their web site for available riding areas in New England. You could also try the Western Massachusetts ATV Club.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring!

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #11
Lakewinniboater

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25
When you are in Westford, western Massachusetts offers lots of legal trails to use. The state forest system opens on May first. I ride dirt bikes, so my organization is called the New England Trail Riders Association. You can contact their web site for available riding areas in New England. You could also try the Western Massachusetts ATV Club.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring!

Peter
HEY THANKS!!!

Always good to know about a few around home!