Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Hillcountry

Default Any tips on salmon for this old buck?

We’ll be out tomorrow before sunrise to try for salmon again.
Stopped in at AJ’s to replace a couple lost lures and asked there...Alan wasn’t there but the guy there said to fish 40’ down now.
Can anyone confirm this depth? Really jonesing to hook into a salmon this summer!
I see plenty of beautiful salmon pics on the fish Winni Facebook page but no one really gives too much info on what’s producing and where...
I always share my depths and lure info (if I catch anything)
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Depth depends on the time of day... early morning before sunrise they can be a little shallower but still in colder water (no less than 15 feet) but if you troll around 20 - 30 feet you should be where you need to be.

Far as lures go I have had my best luck this year with a gold/copper top gun with a blaze orange edge and yellow/green spots on it. I do lead core not down riggers, about 7 - 8 colors out this time of year at a trolling speed of about 1.5 - 2.0 MPH as my GPS reports.

Fish the drop offs and where there are underwater variations fish like to stack in the column along these changes in depths. If they are there you should have some luck.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Hillcountry

Great info! Thank you! If I’m lucky I’ll post pics!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
We’ll be out tomorrow before sunrise to try for salmon again.
Stopped in at AJ’s to replace a couple lost lures and asked there...Alan wasn’t there but the guy there said to fish 40’ down now.
Can anyone confirm this depth? Really jonesing to hook into a salmon this summer!
I see plenty of beautiful salmon pics on the fish Winni Facebook page but no one really gives too much info on what’s producing and where...
I always share my depths and lure info (if I catch anything)
I would be fishing at 30’ right now. If your using down riggers be sure to adjust for blowback based on the weight of your ball, IE an 8 lb ball set at 33’. If your using lead put out a full 6 colors fully in the water. A few feet too high or low will reduce your chances greatly. I am giving you this info based on the water temp readings I took throughout the water column over 100’ of water. Also If you have and know how to use attractors, use them! 2.2 mph works for me...

Good luck!

Dan
Old 07-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
kawishiwi

Default Relationship...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I would be fishing at 30’ right now. If your using down riggers be sure to adjust for blowback based on the weight of your ball, IE an 8 lb ball set at 33’. If your using lead put out a full 6 colors fully in the water. A few feet too high or low will reduce your chances greatly. I am giving you this info based on the water temp readings I took throughout the water column over 100’ of water. Also If you have and know how to use attractors, use them! 2.2 mph works for me...

Good luck!

Dan
Dan, if you are targeting 30' would you expect fish on the depthfinder to be at 30' also or below that? IOW do you troll right into the fish level or above them?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Dan, if you are targeting 30' would you expect fish on the depthfinder to be at 30' also or below that? IOW do you troll right into the fish level or above them?
That’s a great question, I always target the very top of the thermocline this time of year. Fish see what’s above them that is why they swim up towards their food never down. The thermocline isn’t that thick so if your fishing at the top of it, I feel your increasing your odds of more fish seeing whatever it is your presenting. The bait fish are in the thermocline and that’s where the salmon will be feeding. Sure, you may catch one on the surface during a hatch but the majority of them will be feeding in the thermocline on other bait fish. Most of those fish you see rising on calm mornings during a hatch are rainbows anyways, they don’t mind the warm water as much and they are fun to catch!

I honestly don’t use my fish finder to find or locate salmon this time of year, I use it more to see when something is in my attractors directly below the boat or to locate pods of bait fish very early in the morning. I definitely use the finder when targeting lakers though.

Dan
Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #7
Hillcountry

Thank you! Awesome info.
Just lead core, no downriggers.
What about water depth? Can I be in 40-50-60 FOW and still fish that thermocline or am I better off trolling in the deeper troughs?
I’m such a newbie at this...I really appreciate the knowledge!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
ishoot308

Quote:
Thank you! Awesome info.
Just lead core, no downriggers.
What about water depth? Can I be in 40-50-60 FOW and still fish that thermocline or am I better off trolling in the deeper troughs?
I’m such a newbie at this...I really appreciate the knowledge!
PM sent...

Dan
Old 07-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
PM sent...

Dan
PM sent back...
Old 07-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Lead is a no no

I thought lead was banned because it was toxic to Loons?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Those are lead sinkers. Lead core line is braided on the outside with a thin string of lead down the center. I suppose it's possible but highly unlikely any lead core line could end up in the water. The leaders most of use (not lead core) will break well before lead core line could.

Last edited by pjard; 07-11-2018 at 07:19 PM.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Only Lead sinkers or jigs that are 1 ounce or less is prohibited....
Old 07-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #13
farechofisherman

Default Salmon tips

Hillcountry, FYI: The tips you got from MAXUM and ishooot308 are spot on. A lot of valuable info in those posts. The only tip I would add is that at this time of year go with smaller/shorter hardware and flies. Early season salmon chase adult smelt, this time of year they are chasing young of the year smelt (yoy). See Alan for the hot short flies (single hooks) and the hardware, he's the best around. Good luck!
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to farechofisherman For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #14
Hillcountry

Well, it was not a good day fishing (salmon wise anyway...)
No bites at all from before sunrise until I caught a dink smallie around 10am at the beginning of the broads heading toward rattlesnake from Ragged where we stopped to let the pooch run and cool off. Halfway across the broads still heading for rattlesnake, I caught a decent smallie about 2 lbs...sent him back down.
Then the same rod with a Meredith Special tandem went off and in came a short but very fat Rainbow. That was encouraging but alas the last fish caught.
Trolled all day with 6 colors out and tried 5 and 7 colors from time to time.
Fatigue was setting in by 2pm so we picked up and headed in.
Thanks for all the advice!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #15
farechofisherman

Smile

Keep at it they will come, there are not too many places as beautiful as Winni to have a bad fishing day!
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #16
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by farechofisherman View Post
Keep at it they will come, there are not too many places as beautiful as Winni to have a bad fishing day!
You got that right!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #17
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by farechofisherman View Post
Hillcountry, FYI: The tips you got from MAXUM and ishooot308 are spot on. A lot of valuable info in those posts. The only tip I would add is that at this time of year go with smaller/shorter hardware and flies. Early season salmon chase adult smelt, this time of year they are chasing young of the year smelt (yoy). See Alan for the hot short flies (single hooks) and the hardware, he's the best around. Good luck!
Lol last couple of times I stopped in there he wasn’t there...not sure if the “other guy” there knows his stuff...
Old 08-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #18
Hillcountry

Finally caught some salmon!
Still fishing a full 6 colors of lead core...wasn’t sure if I should be deeper because of the heat but stuck with what has been working for rainbows.
Landed a half dozen short rainbows along with these two...a 2 year old and a fat 3 year old!
Thanks Dan! (And others that provided information)!

Last edited by Hillcountry; 08-08-2018 at 06:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-06-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #19
Teddyballgame

Default Threat to our gamefish?

I came across this article a while back and found it interesting. Over the last several years I have noticed a slow down in fishing success with the Salmon. It may be just my fishing skills but have noticed an increase in the predatory Rock Bass/Redeye and can't help but think that they are having an impact on the baitfish thus impacting our game fish. There are also many other impacts to our game fish such as the 2 Winniderby's, the Loons and the Lake trout. Are our salmon and rainbows at risk? Thoughts?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...lapse-animals/
Teddyballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #20
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyballgame View Post
I came across this article a while back and found it interesting. Over the last several years I have noticed a slow down in fishing success with the Salmon. It may be just my fishing skills but have noticed an increase in the predatory Rock Bass/Redeye and can't help but think that they are having an impact on the baitfish thus impacting our game fish. There are also many other impacts to our game fish such as the 2 Winniderby's, the Loons and the Lake trout. Are our salmon and rainbows at risk? Thoughts?

And don’t forget the cormorants! Big fish eaters...also, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if those derbies ceased to exist. I’ll bet lots of fish are killed in the “culling” process...
Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #21
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyballgame View Post

Salmon and rainbow trout are not at risk... salmon virtually no longer spawn in the lake and along with rainbows are stocked. As the link suggests, as predatory birds expand and build through numbers resident birds will become their prey.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #22
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Salmon and rainbow trout are not at risk... salmon virtually no longer spawn in the lake and along with rainbows are stocked. As the link suggests, as predatory birds expand and build through numbers resident birds will become their prey.
Salmon are stocked as fingerlings 5-6” in length. Not sure about rainbows stocking size but I think they are larger than this when stocked. Loons and cormorants can devour a lot of fish in this size category. Waterfowl like these can swallow pretty big fish, whole.
That link would not work for me so I didn’t read it...
Old 08-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #23
swnoel

Quote:
Salmon are stocked as fingerlings 5-6” in length. Not sure about rainbows stocking size but I think they are larger than this when stocked. Loons and cormorants can devour a lot of fish in this size category. Waterfowl like these can swallow pretty big fish, whole.
That link would not work for me so I didn’t read it...
That's why I hate seeing both... hopefully more eagles will move north and take care of this.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #24
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
That's why I hate seeing both... hopefully more eagles will move north and take care of this.
Go Eagles! Wait...go Pats! Ummm...never mind...
Old 08-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #25
noreast

Eagles are about an 80% fish eater. the state is waiting to long to kill these rock bass, they are going to devastate the native population. Funny to read those old threads where some were saying absolutely no rock bass in Winni.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #26
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast
the state is waiting to long to kill these rock bass, they are going to devastate the native population.
I agree the rock bass are a big problem. I am curious what you expect the State to do as far as killing them off goes?
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-22-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #27
MikeF-NH

Quote:
. I’ll bet lots of fish are killed in the “culling” process...
Just a quick correction...culling is illegal in NH. Derby participants found with live fish are disqualified from the derby. The people running the derby have also done a great job of communicating to fishermen on the water what is on the board so fisherman aren't bringing in 20" fish when the bottom of the board might be at 21. This on top of the fact that the derby is a fraction of the size it was 10 years ago means its impact is very minor compared to fish kept on average weekends. I support guides but most send their clients home with limits of fish...a season on a guide boat probably kills more fish than both derbies put together (also note that the winter derby does not target salmon as they are illegal to take through the ice).

My point is perhap there was reason to bash the derby years ago (perhaps) but the information that led people to that conclusion is not outdated. The bashers should feel good though...the derby appears to be in a tail spin for attracting sponsors and fishermen. I don't imagine it will last another 5 years.

Salmon populations (IMHO) are mostly impacted by availability of smelt and the size of the fish when stocked (small fish become food for bigger fish). I've noticed (and talked to others who have noticed also) that there just aren't many 1-2 year class fish being caught. These are sub-legal sized fish so them not being there has nothing to do with fisherman and more to the two factors above. Those two missing year classes will have a huge impact to the negative side on the fishery over the next five years. Please keep that in mind if you are keeping the 3 and 4 year olds...they are all we got.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #28
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
I agree the rock bass are a big problem. I am curious what you expect the State to do as far as killing them off goes?
I would start with what they've all ready done on Sunapee. Why do we have a fish and game department if we have a major invasion happening right before our eye's with Zero being done. I'm a big supporter of them, and over all I think they do a great job, but the longer we wait the harder it'll be.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #29
dt5150

i've caught more rock bass this year than ever before. used to be, we'd get maybe one every week or two. last weekend, i think we caught 6 on one trip. all were served up on the bald eagle buffet.

salmon wise, been catching mostly 3 yr old fish this year. not many 2 year olds or newly stocked fish. only a couple stockers this year, which is very low. i suspect many of the stocked salmon are so small that they're becoming prey soon after their release.

now rainbows.. we've been catching a ton of them lately. last week we landed at least 10 of them, all around 12-14 inches. they must have put a ton of those in the lake this year.. been catching mostly rainbows in that size for the last month or so.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #30
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
I would start with what they've all ready done on Sunapee. Why do we have a fish and game department if we have a major invasion happening right before our eye's with Zero being done. I'm a big supporter of them, and over all I think they do a great job, but the longer we wait the harder it'll be.
Have you contacted NHF&G to see what if any plans might be in the works for Lake Winnipesaukee? Every time I have contacted them they have been very helpful. Let us know what they tell you.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #31
kawishiwi

Angry Nothing

Quote:
I dont believe the state has done anything to remove rockies in sunapee. There is a rock bass catch & keep tourney that is not state run. Generally once a species is in and established there is nothing to do to eradicate them short of poisoning everything. There is some hope that the rockies will eventually crash down to a level the bass can recover at.
I think the smallmouth can weather the storm in alternate areas. I recently found a giant school of juvenile smallies, 6" to 10" suspended at 25ft in 35ft of water. They are still out there. Maybe the smallies have been driven out to the salmon areas and are competing with them now?
Old 08-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #32
Hillcountry

Quote:
I dont believe the state has done anything to remove rockies in sunapee. There is a rock bass catch & keep tourney that is not state run. Generally once a species is in and established there is nothing to do to eradicate them short of poisoning everything. There is some hope that the rockies will eventually crash down to a level the bass can recover at.
I think the smallmouth can weather the storm in alternate areas. I recently found a giant school of juvenile smallies, 6" to 10" suspended at 25ft in 35ft of water. They are still out there. Maybe the smallies have been driven out to the salmon areas and are competing with them now?
I have caught half a dozen nice smallies while trolling for salmon @ 30’ plus this summer.
Some rock bass too and I keep forgetting to kill the little bastards. Hmmm... bear baiting season is around the corner...
Old 08-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #33
noreast

Quote:
It may not have been the state, I meant what happened in Sunapee, Could have been a local group, I didn't make that clear the way I said it. But that doesn't mean that F&G shouldn't or can't get involved. The had tournaments to catch and kill as many as possible. DEJ, Why should I call F&G for a problem they certainly know exists. I know it's a problem, you know it's a problem, Why so sensitive? Add something If you're going to type.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #34
DEJ

Quote:
DEJ, Why should I call F&G for a problem they certainly know exists. I know it's a problem, you know it's a problem, Why so sensitive? Add something If you're going to type.
Well excuse me for making a suggestion, geez some folks are touchy. Perhaps NHF&G has a plan, if no one contacts them we will never know. Be part of the solution and contribute to a solution noreast, not expect others to do it for you.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #35
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
Well excuse me for making a suggestion, geez some folks are touchy. Perhaps NHF&G has a plan, if no one contacts them we will never know. Be part of the solution and contribute to a solution noreast, not expect others to do it for you.
I apologize for being so rude, I have talked to them 2 years ago when I felt it was getting out of control. Like I said earlier, I'm a big fan of F&G I actually by there products and magazines, I think they do a great job but no one is taking this seriously enough in my opinion. I don't believe I've ever even read an article about them in Winni. Of course I may have missed one along the way but I try to read everything they put out.
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
DEJ (08-25-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:59 AM   #36
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Somebody doesn't deal with the amount of geese that keep multiplying in the lake either.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:40 AM   #37
Barney Bear

Default News Report re F&G

A report came on WMUR while I was reading this thread. It indicated that there is a lack of F&G personnel available to properly cover all areas.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
noreast (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 07:38 AM   #38
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
A report came on WMUR while I was reading this thread. It indicated that there is a lack of F&G personnel available to properly cover all areas.
This has been the case for many years. I used to see the list of wardens in the little fish and game laws booklet and wondered how the few people on the list could possibly, manage to cover the state...Never mind the lakes.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #39
swnoel

Quote:
Eagles are about an 80% fish eater.
What's the other 20% ... loons! I hope so!
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (08-26-2018)