Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default Steps to Remedy Non-Starting Generator

Hi All,
Have a B&S generator that's always started easily but now isn't starting. Gas is under a year old and was treated. Fuel and kill switch both turned on. Please list first steps to take to troubleshoot. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

It may be flooded or maybe you forgot to shut off the gas and run it dry the last shut down.

Things to try - remove the spark plug and crank it over a few times unchoked. While the plug is out, reattach ignition wire and crank while the base of the plug is grounded to the engine. You should get a spark. If you have any engine starting fluid, spray a burst in to the cylinder. Reinstall the plug, choke at least half and crank again. If no start repeat one more time.

I would not use stabilized gas more that a few months old. You can siphon older gas out and replace with fresh. Burn what you siphon out in your car.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Is not too uncommon for the congealed gasoline to clog up when left to sit unused in the machine for a few months of summer heat.

Go to Family Dollar and spend $2.50 on a skinny bottle of carburetor/injector cleaner and pour the correct amount into the gas tank.

If the generator has a carburetor that can be accessed, then a $3.00 aerosol can of carburetor cleaner could be sprayed down the carburetor air intake.

Carburetor/injector cleaner is a very strong solvent that works fast to unclog congealed gasoline.......and it never hurts to pour some in with the gasoline into the gas tank.
thinkxingu (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
ITD

Slickcraft's advice is good. Make sure there is a spark, make sure there is gas. Also make sure the gas is good. I do the smell test, it should smell like gasoline. If it smells like varnish then it is bad. If it is bad it needs to be drained, the tank cleaned, the fuel lines cleaned and the carb cleaned. None of this is hard to do, you pretty much need a couple of tools and a can or two of carb cleaner. I would replace the fuel lines instead of cleaning them. But if you are not comfortable then leave it someone else.

My generator may go over a year or two before being needed. So I don't store gas in it. After use I change the oil, put stabil in the gas, run it for a little while, then turn off the fuel supply until the engine stalls. Mine has a drain screw on the carb bowl so I drain what's left out of the carb. Then I empty the tank completely of gas, I put that gas in my car. I remove the spark plug, put some oil (less than an ounce), then pull the cord a few times with the plug out. I put the plug back in and store out of the weather. The next time I need it, I gas it up, a pull or two and I am good to go.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (11-26-2016), thinkxingu (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
ITD

Just thought of this, make sure the oil is full. Most generators have a low oil shutoff.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (11-24-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
RUGMAN

I have always been told to use the blue marine stabilizer Even better would be to run can gas that has no ethanthol, cost more but engines love it. fist pull always starts for me.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RUGMAN For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (11-24-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Hi all, thanks for the tips. I replaced the spark plug and emptied the tank/added fresh fuel with a little injector/carb cleaner. Now it will run, but only on full choke. Thoughts? It looks like I'd left the gas valve on this last six months, not sure if that'd help with the answer.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hi all, thanks for the tips. I replaced the spark plug and emptied the tank/added fresh fuel with a little injector/carb cleaner. Now it will run, but only on full choke. Thoughts? It looks like I'd left the gas valve on this last six months, not sure if that'd help with the answer.

Sounds like the carburetor is gummed up. Rebuild it or replace it. I doubt that it will clear up on its own.

In the future, shut the generator off with the fuel valve so that the carburetor is dry, or nearly so, for storage.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
Top-Water

Quote:
Now it will run, but only on full choke. Thoughts?
Lack of fuel when at normal throttle positions

Sadly the only way to fix this properly is to pull the carburetor off the engine and give it a complete cleaning on the inside .

Meaning you cant just spray it down with a cleaner in the throttle bore. Your going to have to find out what the cause of the lack of fuel is on the inside of the carburetor.

It might just be a clogged main jet or fuel passage way.

Take a photo of the carburetor before you take if off. Most of them are pretty much the same. Someone here will be able to help you without a lot less guessing if we see what you have.

Not to mention it will help you put it back together especially when you have to reconnect any linkages (on the outside) of it.

If it was running a few months ago it's probably very (fix-able). More than likely a little tiny bit of moisture has gotten inside the carburetor, caused a little corrosion with the aluminum casting or brass main jet, and blocked off something.

Last edited by Top-Water; 11-26-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
ITD

Quote:

Jets plugged, best solution is to pull the carb off, pull it apart and clean each passage with carb cleaner. Then put it back together. Again, not a hard job, just remember how it goes back together, take pictures as you are disassembling, starting with the linkages, that will help make sure it gets put back correctly.

Sometimes you can fix this by doing the following. Remove the air cleaner, start the engine, get it spinning as fast as possible, then completely cover the intake until engine stops. This action may suck the plug through the jet and clear things out. Do it a few times, keep in mind this will flood the engine so don't choke it to get it started again. Obvious cautions here, ie don't set yourself on fire as some gas will come out the intake of the carb. And don't do this if you are not comfortable. But best bet is to disassemble the carb, clean it, and put it back together.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #11
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
Even better would be to run can gas that has no ethanthol, cost more but engines love it. fist pull always starts for me.
Excellent advice.

On ALL of my small engines I use ONLY non-ethanol gasoline.

If you don't know where to get non-ethanol gasoline then just ask around. It is out there.

Haven't had any issues with my small engines in years since dedicated use of non-ethanol gasoline. Can't overemphasize this.

Pay now or pay later.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #12
Kamper

It may clear after a while on full choke but I'm pretty sure you have blockage in at least one of your jets.

This has happened to me on a couple old motors I've work on over the years. The simplest way to solve that is to remove the bowl and bast cleaner into the jets.

Bowls can be attached in a variety of ways so I'll trust you can figure that out instead of listing a half dozen or so sets of details. If you have any worry about memory issues it is ok to take pictures.

Hopefully you don't have to remove the float to access the jet but if you do, this job should be done on a stable surface, over a cloth. There can be several itty bits that might fly.

If you do have to remove the floats, give them a little shake. If they are compromised you will feel gas sloshing inside. I don't think this is your issue today but it never hurts to eliminate it from your list.

I had a gasket problem servicing one of my generators. All other small engine carburetors I have worked on had the indentation for the gasket on the top of the bowl. This machine had it in the bottom of the main carburetor body and I had to remove it and turn it upside down so gravity could hold the gasket in place while I re-assembled everything.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
RUGMAN

I buy my can gas at home Depot. they have both 2 and 4 cycle gas in cans, the engines love it.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
I buy my can gas at home Depot. they have both 2 and 4 cycle gas in cans, the engines love it.
Trufuel. 6 1 quart cans in a box for $35.00 and 92octane, ethanol free.

(IMO) At this price it's good for limited use or special applications. If you don't want to run an engine on a regular basis, this product's long-term stability would be useful for long-term turn-key standby.

I doubt that it would cure an existing problem though.

Rugman, the demand must be a good bit higher where you are than here. The only time I asked about this at my local store I was advised it was a special order product which was not not stocked anywhere in this area. Which store do you get it from? If I ever need it, I might prefer a drive to waiting for a delivery. If it's the Tilton store just off 93 that would not be too inconvenient for me.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I just did a quick search of the Tilton store. No cases in store, but 110 oz cans, with oil or not, $19.97 and in Stock.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #16
ITD

Over $20 per gallon, no thanks.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #17
MJM

Default Try Seafoam

I've always been a fan of Seafoam. Try adding that to the gas and letting it run awhile on full choke...it may get cleaned out without having to disassemble.

Good luck!
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #18
RUGMAN

I have bought many times at the Home depot in natick, mass. There is always plenty on the shelf. Have not had a chance to look for it up in New Hampshire. I plan on being up this weekend and will be stopping by the Lowes in Guilford. I will ask. Are place is in the weirs, so most of my shopping is at Lowes. I am on a call Fire dept. done here and we have switched all are gas powered equipment to can gas.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #19
Woody38

I purchase the fuel for my boat at the Laconia Airport. No ethanol, low lead.
Not inexpensive. $4.10/ gallon last time. 100 octane.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

Your carb has gunked up. Happened to a few different ones of mine. If your half way handy its not that hard. Take a pic before. They are usually very simple carbs and many can be found on youtube to help you. There are some ports that are not obvious like behind the choke plate. Very small. I use small wire along with carb cleaner. As was mentioned, if you have a fuel shutoff, run the engine until it stops. I just checked mine last week. It has fuel with no stabilizer thats well over a year old and it started right up.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #21
Kamper

Any luck? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #22
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Any luck? Inquiring minds want to know.
Hi! I pulled the carb off the other day, and the needless were definitely gunked up. They're all clean and ready to be reinstalled, but I needed a new bowl gasket as the original was swollen and no longer fit into the grooves. When I get it all together I'll post back.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Kamper (12-01-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #23
ITD

Quote:
Hi! I pulled the carb off the other day, and the needless were definitely gunked up. They're all clean and ready to be reinstalled, but I needed a new bowl gasket as the original was swollen and no longer fit into the grooves. When I get it all together I'll post back.

Good job, check the fuel lines, a few bucks spend replacing them will save aggravation and be sure the tank is cleaned out, plus replace the fuel filter if it has one, you should be good to go.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NH

For what it's worth - gas stations that sell non-ethanol laced gas.

Another stupid government mandated additive that needs to go the way of MTBE... into history as a very bad idea.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote