Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
dfrowery

Default Wolfe's Tavern - Your Opinion Counts

The Culinary Team here at Wolfe's Tavern are putting together our 2014 menu. If there is something that you would like to see on the menu, this is the forum to get it out there. Possibly there was a Daily Special that you enjoyed that you'd like to see permanently? We are also looking for ideas to replace the salad bar...any ideas are welcomed.

While we can't guarantee that everything posted will become a line item within the menu, we can promise that we will consider anything posted. We value the community's opinion and want your dining experience to be thoughtful and memorable...your opinion counts!!!

Looking forward to hearing from you!!!

Darrin and the entire Wolfeboro Inn Team
dfrowery is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dfrowery For This Useful Post:
CateP (01-08-2014), RLW (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Pineedles

Perhaps some game meat dishes? Venison, quail, pheasant.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
MissSmall (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Happy Gourmand

A great prime rib would get me to make the trek from Meredith in season.
Another wildly popular comfort food lately is mac n cheese. Lots of variations that I don't think would do badly either.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Heading4thelake (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
MissSmall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Perhaps some game meat dishes? Venison, quail, pheasant.
I second that recommendation !
MissSmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
ghfromaltonbay

Default Small side salad

Not being a fan of salad bars, I won't miss not having one. I prefer a small side salad included as part of a dinner.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
RLW (01-08-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Attractive menus.

Being a grandfather, a children's menu as well as a 'light fare' menu is a big plus.

I also like seasonal menus, heartier inexpensive fares off season, and light food in season. I don't go out much in season because of the crowd and the expense. I go off season as I live here and other establishment tend to lower the prices.

I have change my diet substantially to vegetables with poultry and fish. I will eat meat if they are bison or similar low fat meat. I avoid 'starchy' food such as white potatoes and white rice. So I like a healthy selection.
Cindido (01-08-2014), secondcurve (01-09-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
Knomad

We would like to see more specials that are not just slightly modified versions of regular menu items. Though we like most of the standards which have been on the menu for a while, it was disappointing when we stopped by last week and saw that the choices were the same thing they have been for the past year.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

We went to the Inn Monday night and were kind of disappointed in the menu and said we probably wouldn't go back because of it. So I am glad you are asking opinions. I always loved the scallops wrapped in bacon which was an appetizer and we always liked the fish and chips which you seem to have also dropped. I know you can't please everybody, but to go from such an extensive menu to such a limited one was a disappointment to us.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Ropetow

Pot Roast?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
...Another wildly popular comfort food lately is mac n cheese...
No offense to the poster, but I can't think of a worse nutritional, heart clogging mess. That said, I do eat one of the variations once per year, and it's tasty, but I'll relish the taste until next year.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #11
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
No offense to the poster, but I can't think of a worse nutritional, heart clogging mess. That said, I do eat one of the variations once per year, and it's tasty, but I'll relish the taste until next year.
I think you are on to something. The only real complaint I could muster when I went back for the first time in years was I couldn't find anything healthy on the menu. How about a sliced tuna salad, a healthy chicken dish? Maybe you could highlight the dietary benefits of a couple of healthier dishes on the menu? I think doing so might allow the Inn to expand its audience a bit?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
No offense taken. The OP asked for suggestions, I offered a couple.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Chaselady

I eat healthy at home. When I go out it's a treat. If I really want to stay on the diet, I can order fish, double the veg's and cut out potatoes.
I love the menu at the inn. But I will put in a second vote for Mac and cheese!
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (01-09-2014), Orion (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
dfrowery

These are great suggestions so far...please keep them coming!!! Just a note, we do have a children's menu and we offer an All-You-Can-Eat fish fry every Friday night.

We're looking forward to building a great menu together!!!

Darrin & Hoke
Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Merrymeeting

Ask 100 people a question like this, you'll get 100 very varied opinions.

While I love mac-n-cheese, it's the last thing I would order at a restaurant. When I go out to eat, I prefer to get things that I can't easily make at home or wouldn't normally have at home. I also agree that I treat it as a treat and go off my normal dietary limits on these occasions.

For example, for me, that would include something fried. Too messy and smelly to make at home, so very bad for me, but oh so good!

We love the fried asparagus, but would like it better if you used thinner pieces rather than the very thick ones usually served.

Like others, over time, I'd also like to see a bit more variety in the menu
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default A note about Fried food

My cardiologist tells me to stay away from anything hydrogenated, partially hydrogenated or even hydrolyzed ingrdients. This process was originally developed to fattened turkeys! The food industry found hydrogenated products more appealing and easier to use, thus margarine was born and touted healthier than butter! The fact is it is worst than butter. The end result is clogged arteries and damage livers.

What is Wolfeboro Inn policy in regard to hydrogenated products?

On another note if Capitol Hill is concerned about our health, instead of giving us insurance, they should go after the FDA to banned unhealthy products and chemicals. On the long run we can save money on health care.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
dfrowery

We use no hydrogenated fats of any kind. We fry in 100% canola oil. For cooking and salad dressings, we use extra virgin olive oil and canola oil. We use only butter. We do not use margarine or any modified butter product.
Thanks, Everyone!

Darrin & Hoke
Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
KPW

I really miss the ploughmans lunch and the fruit and cheese platter. The lunch was pate and cheese with grilled bread. The combination with the fruit was great.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #19
dfrowery

We use no hydrogenated fats of any kind. We fry in 100% canola oil. For cooking and salad dressings, we use extra virgin olive oil and canola oil. We use only butter. We do not use margarine or any modified butter product.

Thanks,
Darrin & Hoke
Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #20
CateP

Default Suggestions

We used to get a Turkey Panini that was "to die for". Smoked gouda, bacon, avacado and of course turkey. Somehow it changed last year, but whatever you did in 2012 was wonderful.

I would like to see the entree menu expand and be divided into seafood/ fish, poultry and beef dishes. I would leave the creative culinary choices to Chef Hoke, but have at least 4-5 entrees in each category.

Also I would have a tavern-type food section with the best angus burgers on the planet (with a variety of creative toppings, not a huge roll), personal pizzas (gluten free choice and creative toppings) nachos, potato skins, veggie dip platter.

Lastly, the Caesar salad. Check out the Bayside Grille for the best Caesar salad with steak tips in the area. Duplicate that and make sure you include more than 4 steak tips. We thought that was rather a chincy amount when we had the salad at the tavern.

Perhaps Darrin and Chef Hoke might like to pose some ideas here and we can give input? It's kind of hard to make suggestions when I am not in the business or haven't memorized all the amazing dishes I have eaten in my life time
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #21
Mr. V

Instead of a salad bar, how about offering something completely different: perhaps a soup and bread bar?

Offer it as either a stand alone option or as part of a full course meal.

Have at least three different soup options, and a variety of breads / rolls.

However, properly implemented, a salad based meal, standing alone, is tough to beat.

see: http://www.souplantation.com/

So much hunger in the world, and so many different ways to satisfy it!
Mr. V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #22
Formula206

I agree with putting items on the menu which are difficult to cook at home. Also the FDA is addressing Trans Fat, see this: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-eyes...-disease-risk/
Formula206 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula206 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-11-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #23
Balloonshopgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
We went to the Inn Monday night and were kind of disappointed in the menu and said we probably wouldn't go back because of it. So I am glad you are asking opinions. I always loved the scallops wrapped in bacon which was an appetizer and we always liked the fish and chips which you seem to have also dropped. I know you can't please everybody, but to go from such an extensive menu to such a limited one was a disappointment to us.
Oh no!!! PLEASE bring back the Fish and Chips!!! Love having Fish and Chips and a Guinness at the Tavern when we're in town!

I'm also not a fan of salad bars (yuck!) but like a pp said, I do like a nice side salad.

It's awesome that you're asking for recommendations from the community! I'm looking forward to seeing the new and improved menu!
Balloonshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #24
beaner

Default 2 votes for the salad bar!!

We're long-time patrons, mug clubbers (c. Leigh Turner) & more recently, Gen. Wolfe members. Based on this thread, it seems as though we're the only folks who love the salad bar at Wolfe's. Each of the dozen or so occasions we've dined there under current management, it was always fresh, well maintained, and the dressings tasted homemade. When the Friday AYCE fish fry special no longer included a trip to the salad bar, we stopped ordering it. We'll be sorry to see the salad bar go.

If you're looking for tavern menu ideas, check out Mulligans (@ Province Lake Golf Club). "Southern Comfort Food with a Wicked Twist", at very reasonable prices. A little bit out of the way, but outstanding food & ambiance.

Their regular evening menu includes fish & chips, but it's nothing like the "cone of mystery fish bits" we used to order at Wolfe's. It's a huge piece of fresh haddock (apparently, the whole fish minus the head, fins & bones), served over a platter of hand-cut fries with a side of homemade cole slaw for $14. It's also available as AYCE, but the $14 portion was more than either of us could finish. No salad bar, but the "side" salad was huge, fresh, and all the dressings are homemade.

We think it's worth a 35-minute drive, but it's nice to have a few good, reasonably priced options nearby, too.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #25
Cindido

Not a fan of salad bars either but do like a side salad included with my entree. Also enjoy a meal size salad - one of my favorites has always been greens with cheese, nuts and cranberries or strawberries in season. We're new to the area and enjoyed our first visit to Wolfe's Tavern at Christmas. Looking forward to a return visit and checking out the new menu.
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #26
RLW

Smile

Balloonshopgirl, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Glad you joined and happy for your comment regarding the menu and I agree with lets keep the fish & chips.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #27
secondcurve

∆ Dijon and Pepper Crusted Ahi Tuna* ~
25.95/
Braised Lentils, Winter Greens, Red Onion Marmalad

The above is from your sister property the Exeter Inn!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #28
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
(c. Leigh Turner)
I knew Leigh Turner. (Early 70s) He was an Ice Boater (Like myself) and always alerted we ice boaters from out of state as to when the ice was good on the lake. One time that I remember: There were a dozen of us staying at Mrs. Horne's rooming house on South Main Street in Wolfeboro. ($3.75 each..25 cents "For the governor"). ..

The lady's, (sisters I think) running the rooming house were in their eighties. The house..hardwood floors..mahogany trim..etc was spotless.

Leigh invited us up to the Wolfeboro Inn for breakfast...."On The House." NB

PS; When Ice Boating..he always wore something that looked like a Bearskin Rug.......most imposing....

Last edited by NoBozo; 01-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #29
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I knew Leigh Turner. (Early 70s) He was an Ice Boater (Like myself) and always alerted we ice boaters from out of state as to when the ice was good on the lake. One time that I remember: There were a dozen of us staying at Mrs. Horne's rooming house on South Main Street in Wolfeboro. ($3.75 each..25 cents "For the governor"). ..

The lady's, (sisters I think) running the rooming house were in their eighties. The house..hardwood floors..mahogany trim..etc was spotless.

Leigh invited us up to the Wolfeboro Inn for breakfast...."On The House." NB

PS; When Ice Boating..he always wore something that looked like a Bearskin Rug.......most imposing....
Leigh turned out to be quite the character. I grew up with him, he lived in our neighborhood. Actually he and I were the two babies in Huggins Hospital together so we go back that far. I couldn't believe he died so young.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #30
rander7823

Default Lobster Mac & Cheese

Need I say more?
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rander7823 For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (01-20-2014), winnisummergal (01-17-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #31
Shreddy

Although you may have chicken parm on the menu, one of my favorite things is going to Woodstock Station on a Thursday night. Chicken Parm dinner is $5.99 and it's huge with bread, pasta, etc. and the chicken parm is topped with a slice of prosuitto (phenomenal). Needless to say, it's very affordable yet I still tend to have several beers while I'm there. I don't think they're losing money on this option.

Sidenote: I believe the Station has a $5.99 meal EVERY night. I think it's just that I love their Thursday night Chicken Parm. If you could consider doing something like this, I guarantee you'll get a ton of people in the restaurant. People will go for the special, yet not all in the group will want the special (happens to us every time) and we all order drinks as well.

Four of us a couple weeks ago at the Station: 3 chicken parms at $5.99, 1 full meal at $17.99, a blooming onion appetizer, and probably 10-12 beers between us. As you can see, what is sacrificed for the low cost chicken parm is made up for indirectly.

It's like anything, you simply need to get people INTO the establishment. Skelley's offers $.99 breakfast sandwiches (bacon sausage, and ham, egg, and cheese). Scale of 1-10 they're a solid 6.5. Not the best, but certainly great. Why offer at such a low price? Everyone goes in for this reason...what do they do when they're there? Buy their coffee, cigarettes, and everything else for the day.

I'm a business man, so I guess I tend to look at things from a business prospective. I understand you're planning on changing the menu, but these may be things to keep in mind. At the end of the day, my vote would be for a very low cost special like chicken parm that gets people in the door (perhaps even on a nightly basis).
Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #32
FLAG!

Ate there just last Friday night. Personally I'm an Italian fan. I love chicken picata, love antipasto. That said I think a prime rib would go over well and would get at least one order per table of 5 plus. Wife loves salmon (grilled). One thing the town lacks is a good dinner restaurant with a kids menu that has more than the typical mac/cheese, pasta, cheeseburger and chicken fingers. Healthy options are a must. Tuna, chef salad, fruit options would be welcomed additions! Thanks for asking. Good luck sorting through all the responses!
FLAG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #33
minni on winni

If you are eliminating the salad bar, it would be nice to see a selection of specialty salads for meal choices. Grilled blackened chicken salad, asian chicken salad, cobb salad all make a yummy meal! Haven't been to your tavern in awhile but do enjoy a visit in the summer
minni on winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #34
rgilfert

We (my kids and I) are long time "mug owners" at the Tavern. For many years we'd eat lunch there at least twice a week all summer long but for the last two summers I've found myself gravitating towards Garwoods more and more frequently solely because they have been offering "Oysters Rockefeller" as an appetizer on their "daily" specials menu (even though that "special" appears on the menu every day). While it's kind of a pricey item (@ $2.95 each) I tend to order five or six of them as my meal and always leave with the place with a full belly and a smile on my face. Addition of oysters Rockefeller (and perhaps other similar appetizers) to the Tavern menu would firmly lock me back into going to the Tavern (I've been missing the use of my mug)!
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote