Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
emma-leigh

Default The Woodshed

Went to the Woodshed this weekend with another couple and it was horrible. Food and service were lousy! I thought the new owners were returning it to "the original Woodshed" we all knew and loved. They have bombed on that one! The menu is nothing like it used to be, even the staff doesn't seem to care. When I asked to speak to the owner I was told the owner's were never there. Odd, the "original Woodshed" always had an owner present who chatted every table. Then I spoke to a friend who goes every weekend with her family that is a party of 6, who was told that there was no room for them this weekend and they needed to go someplace else. When we were there, there was plenty of room. Neither of us will ever be back. Good luck Woodshed, it won't be long before we see yet another new owner there if this continues. Very disappointing and sad to see such an iconic place ruined again.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
lovetheforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma-leigh View Post
Went to the Woodshed this weekend with another couple and it was horrible. Food and service were lousy! I thought the new owners were returning it to "the original Woodshed" we all knew and loved. They have bombed on that one! The menu is nothing like it used to be, even the staff doesn't seem to care. When I asked to speak to the owner I was told the owner's were never there. Odd, the "original Woodshed" always had an owner present who chatted every table. Then I spoke to a friend who goes every weekend with her family that is a party of 6, who was told that there was no room for them this weekend and they needed to go someplace else. When we were there, there was plenty of room. Neither of us will ever be back. Good luck Woodshed, it won't be long before we see yet another new owner there if this continues. Very disappointing and sad to see such an iconic place ruined again.
It is no secret that the Woodshed is one of my favorite restaurants on the lake. I am a regular there almost every Saturday night. This past Saturday being no exception. I happened to speak with two of the owners on this past visit (Matt and Jeff). Every time I'm there I see one of them and haven't had a bad meal or service. I love the new menu. After looking at all of your posts it seems to me that you have some sort of relationship with the former ownership.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Shreddy

Quote:
Someone seems to have a personal interest in this argument based on your only two other posts on this forum.

On that note, I will gladly speak highly of The Woodshed based on the new ownership change. It's great to see it back to the high class restaurant that it should be.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Gatto Nero

My wife and I went there on Wednesday night. The food and the service were very good but I was shocked that the place was dead. We arrived at about 8:00 and there were only a few tables occupied. By 9:00 we were the only ones in the place. And this was bike week. My eldest daughter served there all through college and she used to make a bundle during the week, more so on bike week. I don't think our server had more than just a couple of tables all night.

Like I said, the food and the service were just fine. I had the Onion soup and prime rib with lobster tail and it was outstanding. My wife had the escargot and the prime rib and both were equally as good. We brought home plenty of leftovers and had them for breakfast. That being said I'm not sure I'd rush back only because I'm not crazy about being the only guests in the place. I guess I'm looking for a little bit more action going on around me. I hope that it comes back because it used to be a great place. From what I saw it hasn't lost anything but the customers.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Still early in the season...

...and a little late for dinner for some folks.

I notice plenty of parking around the Alton restaurants at 8-9 during the week right now, and would anticipate that in another week, when the school kids are out, the seasonal crowd will be up here in full swing.

There goes the neighborhood ...only kidding. Welcome back to our seasonal friends.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
...and a little late for dinner for some folks.
Last week was our anniversary and since all our kids worked there at one point or another over the years we tended to go there to celebrate more times than not. We generally go out about the same time when we go to dinner and it's the same time of year as in the past and I've never seen it like this. It was not too long ago that we had to wait for a table mid week during bike week.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
secondcurve

Quote:
I went Saturday evening and the food and service were outstanding!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

I think the Woodshed has done a good job with the menu. Many servers are the same and great. I like the Woodshed, unless I am in a hurry.

Full disclosure... my daughter just started working there.

Last edited by VitaBene; 06-20-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
Newbiesaukee

Default Ate there last night.

First off, nothing is like " the good old days," including us.
Secondly, even though my screen name suggests otherwise, this is our 10th wonderful year at the Lake.

Having said that, we usually eat about 10 times a year at he Woodshed as it is a place many of our visitors like to eat. For reasons unrelated to dining we ate there last night for the first time this year.

It was excellent. It was quite busy when we arrived last evening but the table was ready at the reservation time. There are some changes in the menu most of which are positive, except no more hanger steak which I did enjoy.

An excellent house salad still comes with the meal and a "Caesar" is $1.50 more with dinner. But you can also get several specialty salads with dinner for about $2.25 more. It used to be a choice of starches and a veggie...usually generic mixed vegetables. Now you can get 2 sides in addition to the salad and the sides include a variety of starches as well as asparagus,broccoli,Brussels sprouts and Brussels sprouts with a Parmesan,something cream sauce.

I got duck "2 ways".... A large boneless breast and leg confit with a very tasty Port wine reduction sauce. My wife was very happy with her steak.

The server, Bennett, was professional and accommodating.

We will definitely return. I have no association whatsoever with the Woodshed, except that I really like to eat.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Sunset View

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I went Saturday evening and the food and service were outstanding!
I too went last Saturday and had a wonderful experience. Great food, very good service...the entire evening was top-shelf. Even called John the Manager next day to compliment him on the experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-02-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
hig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View View Post
I too went last Saturday and had a wonderful experience. Great food, very good service...the entire evening was top-shelf. Even called John the Manager next day to compliment him on the experience.
It is very suspicious that 90% of these negative reviews seem to be from new posters that join up to badmouth somewhere and then just disappear. Then maybe reappear later to badmouth somewhere else.

Just sayin'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hig For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-02-2013), Lakesrider (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View View Post
That is impressive, kudos to you for calling. Most people call to complain, very few call to compliment.
Lakesrider (08-02-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
MJM

Default Great

My wife and I went a couple of weeks ago, and were happy to know The Woodshed is as good as ever. Our waitress was a little meek, but provided great service with a smile. The food was TERRIFIC. Yes, it is pricey, but we know that going in.

Given the changes, etc., we are happy to report we had an excellent evening.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
JDeere

Default "the food and service were outstanding" Really??

When people write something likes this I really have to scratch my head. In the Woodshed's heyday the food was never "outstanding" it was good and it was very consistent. Atmosphere was pleasant and the service was usually good but rarely did I find outstanding.

I have not been back for years and I keep hoping to find a positive review or a negative review that I can believe. For me the reviews go too far overboard on the praise.....I mean if you want to say outstanding for the Lakes region then that might make more sense but outstanding compared to what is my question.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
When people write something likes this I really have to scratch my head. In the Woodshed's heyday the food was never "outstanding" it was good and it was very consistent. Atmosphere was pleasant and the service was usually good but rarely did I find outstanding.

I have not been back for years and I keep hoping to find a positive review or a negative review that I can believe. For me the reviews go too far overboard on the praise.....I mean if you want to say outstanding for the Lakes region then that might make more sense but outstanding compared to what is my question.
JD:

My guess is that I enjoy more "outstanding" restaurant visits and likely significantly more "outstanding" life experiences, than you. I must admit, often when I am with my family in a quaint restaurant such as the Woodshed enjoying excellent food and attentive service on a warm summer evening, in the heart of the Lakes Region, I am likely to use the superlative "outstanding". Keep working at it and maybe in time you'll learn to enjoy your experiences more. There is always hope for you curmudgeons. Even Scrooge finally got it!

Best,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Reilly (08-27-2013), VitaBene (08-27-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
JD:

My guess is that I enjoy more "outstanding" restaurant visits and likely significantly more "outstanding" life experiences, than you. I must admit, often when I am with my family in a quaint restaurant such as the Woodshed enjoying excellent food and attentive service on a warm summer evening, in the heart of the Lakes Region, I am likely to use the superlative "outstanding". Keep working at it and maybe in time you'll learn to enjoy your experiences more. There is always hope for you curmudgeons. Even Scrooge finally got it!

Best,
Meow!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #17
JDeere

Default There are plenty of outstanding restaurants

Do not want to reply in kind. I really was not trying to attack the author rather the sentiment.

I will stand by what I have written. Woodshed is not and never was "outstanding." There are plenty of outstanding restaurants in this world but to say any restaurant in the lakes region is outstanding compared to all restaurant
is false.....nope I will take that back....George's in Meredith is outstanding for what it is, a great dinner.

Woodshed is nor WAS ever outstanding...it was good and it was consistent but to overly inflate the review diminishes the veracity of the review.

Seems reviews always go to both extremes and therefore both types cannot be read with confidence that they speak to the truth.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Default I understand your point but....

Quote:
I have not been back for years and I keep hoping to find a positive review or a negative review that I can believe. .
I have no dog in this fight but this is laughable. You have not been back in years but state in your last post that it "is not" outstanding. Do you have the Phantom Gourmet checking it out for you?
VitaBene (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
chipj29

I think that the term “outstanding” is in the eye of the beholder. What I find outstanding, you may find to be just OK. And vice versa.
For example, when I am in the right mood, I find a McDonalds Big Mac to be outstanding.
Happy Gourmand (08-27-2013), Pineedles (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
Mr. V

The dining available in the Lakes Region is not really "outstanding" by any stretch of the imagination.

Compared to the offerings available in some of our major metropolitan areas, those available around the lake pale in comparison.

I've eaten at restaurants in Portland, Las Vegas and Seattle that eclipse in creativity, quality, service, and presentation anything I have found near Winnipesaukee, and over the years I've eaten at many of the better lakeside venues.

Yes, there are some good restaurants on and near the lake, no question.

Some are arguably "very good."

But "outstanding?"

Not when compared to restaurants elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
JDeere (08-28-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Billy Bob

Default outstanding ?

The atmosphere and general ambiance could be called " outstanding " it's pure New England and is just a very comfortable place to spend some time. The bar is like something out of an old Bing Crosby movie . ( a good thing )
The food and service are what caused the last owner to be the previous owner . Very inconsistent , one meal to a table would be good the next cold and the quality of the meat just hit and miss . They seem to use a lot of temporary help and someone is always " training " , just a lack of consistency .
The atmosphere seems to bring us back a couple of times each summer and also the "tradition " of going there because we have done so for so many years .
The found memories of meals past make it a happy occasion but at the end of the day the food and service just suck . But for some stupid reason we will be back .
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #22
MJM

Default Outstanding

Although some people apparently have their own preconceived notions about their individual use of the word 'outstanding', I will say that the food at The Woodshed was indeed outstanding during our last visit. The service was good. Not great, but good.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #23
Newbiesaukee

This is an informal,amateur forum on area restaurants.

When someone says " outstanding" to me that means the poster liked it. If the poster says " the worst meal I ever had" it means he/she didn't like it or is a disgruntled whatever. Trying to read more into it is pretty useless, IMO.

Although I believe there are restaurants with better food and some with better service in the area; it is interesting that when we have guests they all want to go to the Woodshed.

I do believe the new owners have made more hits than misses. Also, like a lot of people I tend to order the same thing in a restaurant if I liked it the first time.

Finally, the new duck preparation on the menu IS outstanding in my small universe. But I do like moist duck with a sweetish sauce. Many people prefer a crispy skinned drier variety.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
tc_mike

I have been to the Woodshed maybe 8 times in the past 11 years. Probably about half of those times I would have actually classified the food as outstanding (gasp!). I also find the atmosphere to be outstanding (gasp!) and the service to usually be decent but rather forgettable.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #25
SIKSUKR

This forum is outstanding.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #26
JDeere

Default marked by eminence and distinction

The dictionary defines outstanding to mean:

a : standing out from a group : conspicuous
b : marked by eminence and distinction

If anyone really thinks the woodshed in its prime was outstanding then I do not know how you would define a truly great restaurant. Would that be "super outstanding?"

The woodshed (early and mid 90's or so) was never was outstanding but it was good, atmosphere was fun and it was consistent. No, as I said I have not been back for years and I was hoping someone might write a cogent reply that might encourage me to try again BUT sorry I cannot relate folks that define a big mac being outstanding.

No restaurant in the lake region earns the distinction of being outstanding. Some are better than others but few would do so well in a more competitive environment. So, my point was to ask for more realistic reviews in the hope that someone might be have the ability to do so. Although I did think Newbie at least tried to get the essence of my question.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
wifi

I'm one that can't afford to go out very often, but when I do (usually my birthday), I frequent the woodshed because I like it. I don't know what superlative that qualifies for....
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
No restaurant in the lake region earns the distinction of being outstanding.
I think you're wrong O's Steak & Seafood in Laconia is an outstanding restaurant!! And with the head chef and the owner of O's being the new owners of the Woodshed I would be expecting that place to be right near the top very soon if not already there.The other restaurant that comes to my mine is Ledge Water Steak House in Bristol it is excellent!
ishoot308 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Quote:
The dictionary defines outstanding to mean:

a : standing out from a group : conspicuous
b : marked by eminence and distinction

If anyone really thinks the woodshed in its prime was outstanding then I do not know how you would define a truly great restaurant.
No restaurant in the lake region earns the distinction of being outstanding.
The dictionary defines opinion as:
o·pin·ion
noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
"I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"
synonyms:
belief, judgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpoint, outlook, attitude, stance, position, perspective, persuasion, standpoint;

Get over yourself.Different people have different viewpoints.
chipj29 (08-28-2013), Pineedles (08-28-2013), trfour (08-28-2013), Winnigirl (08-28-2013), Winnisquamguy (08-29-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
Mr. V

Quote:
Get over yourself.Different people have different viewpoints.
Nobody questions the right of someone to opine that a restaurant is "outstanding."

The question is: as compared to what?

Big Fish in a Small Pond?

Small Fish in a Big Pond?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
JDeere (08-29-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #31
tc_mike

Quote:
Do not want to reply in kind. I really was not trying to attack the author rather the sentiment.

I will stand by what I have written. Woodshed is not and never was "outstanding." There are plenty of outstanding restaurants in this world but to say any restaurant in the lakes region is outstanding compared to all restaurant
is false.....nope I will take that back....George's in Meredith is outstanding for what it is, a great dinner.

Woodshed is nor WAS ever outstanding...it was good and it was consistent but to overly inflate the review diminishes the veracity of the review.

Seems reviews always go to both extremes and therefore both types cannot be read with confidence that they speak to the truth.
So... you are saying that based on your experiences at other restaurants in the world, you cannot label the woodshed as outstanding, right? I think that is fine - sounds reasonable. The part that I have trouble with is that you question the "veracity" of others' reviews in which the author *does* choose to label their experience as outstanding based on their (obviously) different lifetime experiences with eating establishments. You are essentially saying that one mustn't use outstanding to describe a restaurant unless, at the very least, they have shared your very same experiences. Otherwise it would sound like not even you would be qualified to make the "outstanding" claim - unless, of course, you have first hand experience with every possible comparable establishment in the world. For example - using your logic - I would find myself questioning *your* truthfulness simply because *I* once ate at a diner that I considered to be better than George's. But, that would be silly, right?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #32
JDeere

Default Siskur

Anyone that needs to get personal over comments made on this forum over what outstanding means has an emotional problem...the need to lash out personally reflects upon your character and not mine.

I least appreciate that you understand that your opinion has no basis in fact or reality and that I was simply trying to point out that the over zealous Woodshed reviews that were over the top with praise or criticism needed to be dismissed since the truthful or sincere reviews were not at the 2 extremes. Not sure why that is hard for you to understand but it appears that is the case.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
JDeere

Thumbs up Woodshed review

Ok, so I went back and tried it again.

Based on a 4 star point system with with 4 stars being excellent:

Greeting by hostess *1/2 Yikes, we waited almost 5 minutes for a person to seat us. Place was not busy and there was a person at the station who told us she would be back soon. Not a big deal but had it been crowded it might have been.

Food *** Everything was good. Nothing over the top but it seemed as good as it every was. One member of group felt his prime rib was overcooked, and one member complained the baked potato was undercooked but all in all...good.

Service *** Service again was good, she was attentive and I think did her best.

Atmosphere *** Again good. It was not busy and one could carry on a conversation without ease.

All in all I would agree that the Woodshed is back to where it use to be and that is a good thing for all of us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
tc_mike (09-01-2013), VitaBene (08-30-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #34
MJM

I find this board to be outstanding. I think all you posters are outstanding. Looking up definitions in the dictionary to try to justify a post? Yup...outstanding!
Closed Thread