Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Vacation property rental expert

Our waterfront property is located next to a place that offers weekly rentals, which has caused some problems over the years(excessive noise, too many people, nightly bonfires, fireworks, etc...) You get the picture. Anyhow, we decided to call Sue Gravelle at At the Lake (formerly C21), and we were wondering about the vetting process people go through when applying to rent. She was most professional, explained the process thoroughly, and we both want to put her name out there as someone we would recommend if they need a rental agency. This was in sharp contrast to the reception we got next door at Preferred Rentals, where the female agent was dismissive ,rude, obnoxious, and I could go on. The comparison between the two agencies was absolutely amazing.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
garysanfran

Default Vetting process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Our waterfront property is located next to a place that offers weekly rentals, which has caused some problems over the years(excessive noise, too many people, nightly bonfires, fireworks, etc...) You get the picture. Anyhow, we decided to call Sue Gravelle at At the Lake (formerly C21), and we were wondering about the vetting process people go through when applying to rent. She was most professional, explained the process thoroughly, and we both want to put her name out there as someone we would recommend if they need a rental agency. This was in sharp contrast to the reception we got next door at Preferred Rentals, where the female agent was dismissive ,rude, obnoxious, and I could go on. The comparison between the two agencies was absolutely amazing.
What did she say they did to vet, or screen, renters? I have used Bayside Rentals, never had a problem, but I don't think they do much of a screening... If the check clears! However, I am sure if I had a problem that was in violation of a renter's rental agreement, I am sure they would address it.

I used C-21 many years ago with mixed results.

Do your neighbors go through At the Lake? Or any other agency?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
codeman671

We rented a few years back through Spencer Hughes and found the place in Alton to be a nasty filthy dump. They still represent the same property.

My point is that not only do some places not screen the best, they don't manage the property well either. In this case the owner lives far away and they handle the cleanings and maintenance of the property, which they did poorly.

Having rented my property before, screening a client can be tough. You can only gather so much information, such as if they have pets, # of persons staying, etc. Its not like you can pull a criminal background or credit check on a weekly renter....

At least with VRBO and your own arranged cleaning people you have some control.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Rental property

There is only so much they can do re vetting without being accused of discrimination, but they supposedly send renters off with a packet of rules and regulations, especially regarding excessive noise, extra people, and items that common sense SHOULD dictate. Years ago, when we owned a seasonal property up here, Century 21, now At the Lake, handled it as a rental, and we had no problems whatsoever. When you are an out of state owner, that’s important. I recall one situation when our neighbors called us at home in PA with complaints of noise and lots of people at the property. One phone call on Saturday night to the agent, and she took care of it right away. That’s top service!
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
Dad207

Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD
Default Rental Management

We are out-of state owners, and have worried a lot about our Alton property, particularly about relations with our neighbors. Bayside Rental in Meredith has done a very good job at vetting our renters-- I have received a few calls in advance from them about potential clients, and they have been pretty responsive to our needs. I'd say keep your security deposit as high as you reasonably can, and hire an agent who appears to care. Urge your neighbors to call the police of there is a problem.
Dad207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad207 View Post
We are out-of state owners, and have worried a lot about our Alton property, particularly about relations with our neighbors. Bayside Rental in Meredith has done a very good job at vetting our renters-- I have received a few calls in advance from them about potential clients, and they have been pretty responsive to our needs. I'd say keep your security deposit as high as you reasonably can, and hire an agent who appears to care. Urge your neighbors to call the police of there is a problem.
I rented a place through Bayside many years ago before I bought and I thought they did a thorough job. They have insurance also so if something happens the landlords can collect. I'm not sure if the landlord has to pay extra for that.
I guess my kids tried to light a battery powered candle, never let kids play with matches even when they are adults, and ruined it so we got a notice saying the landlord collect $25 from insurance for a $5 battery powered candle.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote