Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
dpg

Default Bear In Suissevale

Watch out - My family has seen (we think) the same bear getting into a dumpster at a work site in Suissevale 2 or 3 times just in the past couple weeks. A few weeks ago he was behind my parents house and just yesterday my sister and boyfriend saw him get up on his hind legs and pull a trash bag outta the dumpster (next door.) He apparently is becoming a regular. My father (a hunter for years) says he is biiiiigg! I've not seen him yet.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
wildwoodfam

Cool Imagine a BEAR sighting in NH!!

Sorry - couldn't resist - the surprise with which you report this sighting makes it sound more like a report from Manchester or Boston....and not the serene western shores of Winni where wildlife is abundant!

Plenty of bear - especially in the Ossipee range! Must be folks tossing food sources into the dumpster - and easy breakfast or late night snack for a bear!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam
Sorry - couldn't resist - the surprise with which you report this sighting makes it sound more like a report from Manchester or Boston....and not the serene western shores of Winni where wildlife is abundant!
Well I hunt do you??? It isn't all that abundant when I'm out in the woods freezing!!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
The Eagle

Default Bear in Suissevale

Hi dpg,
You saw A (1) bear in Suissevale! Well, sit down, I have some news for you! There is more than ONE bear, in Suissevale! There is a mother and three cubs, they should be about three years old by now, and yes one BIG black bear. He is a regualr in Suissevale, and he doesn't bother anyone, as long as you don't bother him. I used to hang bird feeders (THAT was a mistake), but they attract bears Especially sunflower seends. Garbage attracks them, and so does anything good to eat. If you follow the rules: Don't approach them, Don't try to feed them, and Don't bother them, they will never bother you. Make any loud noise and they will run away. They are absolutely beautiful animals, and fun to watch. Don't be afraid of them, but don't "challange them" either. They have their own "routes" in Suissevale looking for food, so if you see him once, be assured you will see him again. You can pick up "Rules" about NH Black Bears at the highway Rest Stops. Sit back and enjoy them!
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
phoenix

we had a bear in our yard two weeks ago. Our two westies were barking their brains out and went out and they had tree'd a bear ( big one) on gilman point road
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
jeffk

Default First one I've seen

One of them meandered in front of our house (a few houses down from the Suissevale docks) along the lake. This is the first one I've seen in the 15 years we've been there. We didn't have anything of interest to it so it quickly moved along. At the time I thought it was a "small" bear, possibly a cub but in looking at the descriptions online it could have easily been an adult black bear (125 - 150 lb. females, 200 - 250 lb. male). I was thinking of bears that I have seen that are much taller and much more massive than a person when they stand up but it looks like black bears usually don't get that big? Anyway it was quite a treat to see it.

The only concern I have is that I, not having seen one before, did not realize that the bears came down into the area. It can be disturbing enough to an adult to run across a bear unexpectedly but I worry about the kids that wander around the area. Bears can become aggressive, especially if a person tries to run away which would probably be most kids reaction. I hope the Suissevale organization has notified the owners and renters there that the bears are around. I didn't see anything on the web site but I'm not a member so I can't log on.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
secondcurve

The old saying a fed bear is a dead bear rings true here. If they get too used to human garbage a their primary source of food, they may need to be put down. Please don't feed the bears.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
wildwoodfam

Wink Maybe they are just smarter than you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
Well I hunt do you??? It isn't all that abundant when I'm out in the woods freezing!!!
I think they (bears) are plenty abundant! In my years at Winni I have enjoyed seeing several - increasing in recent years. More bear at least. And always coming in closer to the populated areas.

Last edited by wildwoodfam; 07-25-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
hilltopper

Actually, during bear hunting season the bears are beginning to feed heavily in preparation for a long winter. When mast crops are heavy, you don't see many bears because there is a ton of feed (beech nuts, berries, etc.) scattered about the deep woods. In years of low mast crops, the bears must travel more to get their food and become easier targets.

Rifle hunting for deer generally coincides with the rut, which is the time of year bucks lose their wariness and wander the woods in search of does.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #10
Water Camper

Default Bear, Weirs Boulevard

My wife was startled by a bear behind our cottage on Weirs Boulevard just a couple of weeks ago, along with the deer and turkey. Its great seeing wild life right in your back yard.

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
wildwoodfam

Wink Were they all together?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper
My wife was startled by a bear behind our cottage on Weirs Boulevard just a couple of weeks ago, along with the deer and turkey. Its great seeing wild life right in your back yard.

Bill

That would have been quite a sight!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Thanks Water Camper..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper

Bill
Thanks alot.... now I have "Deer and Turkeys and Bears .. OH MY" stuck in my head..

Good news is it replaces the "Lions and Tigers and Bears.. OH My " from the Wizard of OZ

Now can someone help me with:

Scarecrow: "I haven't got a brain... only straw. "
Dorothy: "How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
Scarecrow: "I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? "
Dorothy ... "Yes, I guess you're right."

Old 07-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
arthurc

Default Bear on Route 25

I saw a fair size bear this morning about 6:00AM. He was crossing Route 25 just up from the Lumber Company near Glidden Road. He hurried across the road into the woods towards Lake Kanastaka(sp?)
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #14
donnamatrix

Default Bears in Suissevale

We live year round in Suissevale, and have seen lots of bears. on 7/19 around 8pm we had a bear walk right up the driveway and into the woods. On Sunday, 6/24 around 9am the bear walked right up the middle of Olympia Street... never know if it's the same one, they all look alike! We had one in our yard about a year ago snarfing bird seed, and a little red squirrel, quite a rascal, wanted some of the seed, so he raced out of his hiding place to grab some seeds. This startled the bear, who raced up a nearby tree. He only stayed in the tree a minute or so. Probably embarrassed. I read that bears can smell birdseed from a mile away, and they remember both good and bad feeding experiences. We no longer leave the feeders out, and we sprinkled Cayenne pepper all over the top of the mulch to mask the scent, plus the pepper might annoy the bear, but not harm it. Beautiful creature. We have a air horn on our porch or by our side if it's not dead winter.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Not Lakes Region...but to SC's point

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
The old saying a fed bear is a dead bear rings true here. If they get too used to human garbage a their primary source of food, they may need to be put down. Please don't feed the bears.
This from my sister who lives in Fairbanks (sister is the Carol in the article, brother in law is Steve Davilla)... Don't feed bears !!

From Todays News Miner - Fairbanks, AK

http://newsminer.com/2007/08/07/8290

And yes... I know NH Black Bears aren't Grizzleys, but they are bears!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #16
Flylady

Default Bears & other wildlife

This thread makes me laugh butpoints out how many uninformed people there are in the area and is a great reminder about the need to educate where wildlife and man share the same living areas. In California, we live at the mountains edge and newbes into the area are the first to scream to the animal control when the coyotes or other aniamals steal their cats and small dogs that are left out at night in a fenced yard! In NH we are so blessed to have such abundance of wildlife but with so many out of towners visiting in the summers as well as moving into the lakes area it is amazing how many are shocked to see wildlife and then blame the animals for the human misfortunes. I think towns, lake associations, realtors who rent should embark on an education campaign at the beginning of each summer to held preserve our wildlife!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote