Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2004, 04:23 PM   #1
Thurston

Question Satellite TV on the Islands

Does anyone have experience getting Satellite TV on the Islands? Is there a local company that does these installations? What is involved?

Also, I would be interested in getting any opinions on service from Direct TV vs Dish Networks.

Thanks.
Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
kchace

Default I like Direct TV

I can't compare it to Disk Network, but I have had Direct TV for 6 years now and I am extremely happy with it. Lots of channels for $32 a month.

The only complaint that one *might* make is that during heavy storms, you might lose the signal for a brief time. I upgraded my dish from the standard 18" to a 24" (got it new on Ebay for $50) and since then have NEVER lost the signal regardless of the weather.

You can install it yourself if you like. It is not very hard at all. Just need to be able to see the SW sky. Run the coax, then point the dish accurately (takes maybe 20-30 minutes to get the dish just right) and you're done.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Janie

Default We have Dish Satellite on Cow Island

I think the determining factor regarding your choice between Dish and Direct will utlimately be your ability to have a clear line of site to the southern horizon. Dish's satellite sits lower in the sky then Direct's satellite so you will need more line of site. Also, if you have a satellite system at home, I know that you can get an extra card and service from Dish for $5-$10. They say that it has to be at the same address, but if you hook it up to a TV at home and call them to program the card in the receiver, you can move it to where ever you want. Once you do this, you will not be able to get any PPV movies and you will not be able to call them for any service. Bring the receiver home at the end of the season and put it in the basement for the kids and use it the remaining 8-9 months. I think you can do a similar thing with DirectTV, too. I know some people with DirectTV and they love it. I love my Dish. I think it just depends on what you get and then get used to using. One thing you may want to check out, if you are interested, is which one offers the NH local channels with your service. With our Dish service, we would need to point another satellite dish in a slightely different manner and (I believe) pay extra for Channels 9, 44 and 50. I am not certain about DirectTV. One final note, my husband called someone to hook up our Dish on Cow and the guy said he could not get a signal. My husband went out for a little bit longer after the guy left and managed to get a signal and it is stronger than our signal at home. So, you may need to tweek it a bit yourself. Hope it works out for you.
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
meredith necker

Default tv dishes

ours points west, maybe there are two satallites now.
meredith necker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
marcucci

Here is a great site for DBS/DSS and although I don't have DSS I learned a lot about it from this site.

http://www.dbsforums.com/
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2004, 02:32 PM   #6
LFOD

Default Direct TV

Could someone recommend a service provider for Direct TV in the Moultonboro area? Is it also possible to get programming for only the summer months or do you have to sign-up for an annual contract?

Thanks for any replys.
LFOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Most of these companies will let you suspend service for the time you are not there.
Telephone service can be suspended too.
Check out www.directv.com
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
jrc

Default Free dish and decoder boxes

Free dish and decoder boxes usually means you must sign up for one year at some minimum service. After the first year you can likely suspend service at will.

The free installation offers probably won't include an island install, so you may have to install it yourself. Or pay extra installation charges. Assuming you have the correct view of the sky, and you're handy, installation is pretty easy. I did my own (non-island) install and it went smooth.

You might want to get a compass and check-out the sky before you commit. If you're on the wrong side of a hill or have high trees in the way dish mounting can be near impossible. The directtv web-site has compass directions for your zipcode.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:01 PM   #9
Bear Islander

DirecTv satellite is at 234 degrees magnetic and an elevation of 31 degrees.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:35 AM   #10
Blue Thunder

Default DirecTV

The coordinates are slightly different for every location. That doesn't matter as the installation procedure walks you through it pretty easily.
Take a compass and a protractor (if you can find one in your desk drawer) and determine if you can get a signal BEFORE you commit to service. Hold the protractor as level as you can and try to determine 32 degrees of elevation in the SW sky. You MUST have a clear line of sight to the satellite! No trees or other obstructions. DirecTV has 3 satellites. Depending upon whether you want all kinds of PPV stuff you may need a multi-satellite dish. I have DirecTV. I bought it at home in Mass and installed it myself at my Island location. I got the Boston local channels with the package. They are on the same satellite as the regular programming. As previously stated, the NH and ME local channels are on a different satellite lower on the horizon and more difficult to get. You can put DirecTV on seasonal suspend over the winter or you can take the box home, buy another dish on EBay (15-30 bucks) and use it at home. The only tough part is the aiming of the dish to get it right on the satellite. You have to be VERY patient when first setting it up. It took me some time, but I finally got it.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #11
phoenix

The direct Tv site list Walmart as local provided. I live in Moultonboro . Anyone have a company that will do the install and make sure it works . Would be willing to do Dish or Direct Tv.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:38 PM   #12
phoenix

by the way we are not on an island
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote