Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
ApS

Default Bald Eagle sighting!...Bald Eagle sighting!...Bald Eagle sighting!...Bald Eagle!

Actually a two-fer at 4:50 this afternoon -- for this outdoor activity/recreationist.

He (a mature, smallish, bald eagle) landed in a nearby tree and I took my 35mm out to photograph him. While I searched the tree branches for him, he saw me first, fell down (!) from his perch about twenty feet, and took off -- carrying a fish!

He could appear at Rattlesnake, judging by the direction he was headed.

While advancing the film, a loon called about ½-mile away.

A very rewarding 60 seconds!

Edited to add: While loons ordinarily have a haunting call, their calls are presently being made while the trees are still "in bud", and leafless.

Now, Loon cries echo from the steep shores, making it all the more spooky.

Last edited by ApS; 04-25-2005 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Add leafless tree effect.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Pepper

Smile Wow!

Wow! What a wonderful sixty seconds!

Your description was so vivid I felt as though I was there with you. Thank you SOOOOO much for sharing that. I needed that right now.

Happy birding,

Pepper
Old 04-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
Corsa

Default Bald Eagles

I spotted the 2 bald eagles as well on April 20th hovering over the southeast side of Mark Island in Gilford. I must say that it was a very impressive sight.
Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

AAHHh! These are the posts from APR that I really like.Thanks APR! SS
Old 07-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
JG1222

Default A Weekend for Birdwatching

Had a Bald Eagle sighting on Lake Ossipee this past weekend as well. We were anchored at a small sandbar, saw it riding an air current, then WHAM - it fell from the sky, scooped something out of the water, and flew away.

Truly awesome!
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2005, 07:59 AM   #6
Merrymeeting

Default On Merrymeeting too

He's covering a lot of ground! Though hopefully we are seeing multiple birds. I had the pleasure of seeing one on Merrymeeting Tuesday morning.

While out for an early morning ski, spotted one along the shore on a tree stump that sticks out of the water. I stopped the boat (my sister who was on a ski at the time was not too happy until she saw him/her too). Unfortunately, as soon as I stopped, "he" took off toward the woods, heading northeast toward Wolfeboro. The white tail feathers and head were unmistakable.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
uglyduck

Default Bald Eagle Sighting Sunday in Merideth

Saw a Bald Eagle on Sunday in Merideth. What a beautiful sight. Wing span was aprox 5 feet. Truly a treat.
uglyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #8
arthurc

Default Bald Eagle Sightin

Just got back from a 12 day Alaska Journey. We saw many, many Bald eagles. What a great sight. They are not endangered there any more. The trip was just great.
I'm still looking forward to my first sighintg at Winni.
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
ApS

I'm thinking now, that "my" eagle didn't fall from the tree after all, but lost his grip on the fish he readying to eat. He re-snagged it before it dropped back into the lake, regained altitude, and flew away towards Rattlesnake.

Here's my sighting with a fish:

Last edited by ApS; 12-21-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
jceria

Default Eagle sighting on May 30th!

We spotted a (the) Bald Eagle perched on a tree on one of the small islands next to the Graveyard.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:03 AM   #11
ApS

Lake Winnipesaukee, as well as the rest of the "lower 48", has a growing Bald Eagle population. There have been more than these sightings since this particular thread from 2005.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...4887#post44887
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ighlight=eagle
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...3578#post23578

(And some "Eagle-Cams").

While at the computer just Tuesday morning, I heard some "very-upset" robins—but then, they're always upset.

Then I heard crows—lots of them! Then the chipmunks started in with their deep "munk" sounds. I looked up just in time to briefly catch a glimpse of a very large bird carrying a green leafy branch as big as he was! It's nest-making month for Eagles, too.

By its color, it may have been an immature Bald Eagle or, more likely, the similar Golden Eagle, which was sighted in several locations around the Big Lake last year.

Since that sighting three days ago, he hasn't turned up again—though the crows remain in "full song" in a clearing near me. I gotta remember to "keep looking up".

Here's that Eagle carrying his fish dinner that I'd previously posted:
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
wadden

Default bald eagle sighting

We saw a bald eagle perched next to a huge nest on Round Island a few weeks ago.
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
fatlazyless

The NH Audubon Society has a 2006 report on a couple of eagles nesting on Round Island. Probably, the eagles checked out Eagle Island first and decided to keep looking for a better location.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
Scott

Nice to see the Whitecap Hawks making a comeback.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:47 AM   #15
Grant

Default Another

During the first week in May while we were "opening up," my brother I and saw a VERY large raptor way above. The lack of leaves on the trees gave us an unobstructed view. So I ran to the house to grab the 35mm with the zoom and headed for the waterfront. We watched as it circled, the plummeted toward the water, near the Graveyard, grabbed something (presumably a fish), then took off toward Twenty Mile Bay. I did manage a few shots, and just got the photos back (the digital died, so I've rediscovered the joys of 35mm SLR). I'll scan and post soon.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
sonj

Default Eagle siting!

We took a ride on Lake Winni only to see a beautiful eagle overlooking the nest. I took approximatly 150 photos and have posted a few on the gallery. Once they are processed you will see what I saw. I was sooo amazed!!! This siting was on an island(unihabited) just south of Moultonborough Cove. So Happy to have witnessed such a beauty!!! This is my first viewing in the wild.
Sonj
Death stings holds no power;
We have a Redeemer-an unfailing Tower".
-Gustafson
sonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #17
Lakegeezer

Default Eagles in a tree

We saw an eagle swoop by and land in a tree - where its friend was waiting. They sat there for about 15 minutes. Here's a shot. Sorry it is a bit fuzzy, I need a better camera. There are a few loon chicks in the area, and we are hoping that one amazing sight doesn't mean another amazing sight is in danger.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #18
Grant

What a great shot.

We saw a couple of cool eagle moments while we were up a few weeks ago. The first time, an eagle (must've been immature or even a golden) swooped down, grabbed what must've been a large fish, then took off. It dropped whatever it had grabbed shortly after re-launching, and it made a good-sized splash. Later the same thing happened, but the bird dropped a large fish right in front of our house. My wife saw that one. Again, couldn't distinguish the white head, so perhaps an immature "rookie" dropping the ball...
Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
so perhaps an immature "rookie" dropping the ball...
And its a fumble!!!

As a silly question to some of our more knowledgeable loon lovers, can the baby chicks Lakegeezer references be moved before they are dinner? I'm not usually concerned about the cycle of life working out on its own, but the baby loons are so darn cute and few and far between maybe a new homes in order?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #20
Lin

Default Eagle article

Here is a link to an eagle article in the Citizen today.
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...338/-1/CITIZEN
Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #21
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
We saw an eagle swoop by and land in a tree - where its friend was waiting. They sat there for about 15 minutes. Here's a shot. Sorry it is a bit fuzzy, I need a better camera. There are a few loon chicks in the area, and we are hoping that one amazing sight doesn't mean another amazing sight is in danger.
Awesome shot Lakegeezer. Neat that you got two together. What kind of camera do you use? Telephotos are nice with the olympus evolt500 camera that i use, but I always dread taking it out in the canoe or boat. I usually will only take it on the water on weekdays vs fri/sat/sun when the wakes are more common. I do use one of those dry sacks though when not shooting. I've seen the eagles on a few of the islands around where we are.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #22
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin
Awesome shot Lakegeezer. Neat that you got two together. What kind of camera do you use?
I've got a Cannon PowerShot S2. 5 megapixel with a 12X optical telephoto. It has image stabilization, which helps when fully zoomed in. I was standing on my dock when I shot it - the eagles were about 200 yards away, but as you can see, it is a bit fuzzy. After taking the shot, we went out in kayaks and got really close - but I didn't think it wise to take the camera with me. By the way, the baby loons we were worried the eagles would have for dinner were seen today, and they are getting big.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #23
ApS

Default Maybe a Golden...

At 11:30 today, my attention was drawn by the cry, "Big Bird! Big Bird!".

Knowing of the sighter's need for eye glasses, I just commented, "There are a few Great Blue Herons that take that pathway". A few moments later, I glanced over my shoulder and reached for my binoculars.

Sure enough, it was either a very big Bald Eagle or a very dark Golden Eagle. (I got burned last year on that one. ).

Anyway, it was making a beeline for Alton (an eagle-line) , so confirmation of either bird would be appreciated from those "looking up" in Alton!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #24
Deepwaters

Default Moultonboro Eagle

Awesome picture! During Saturday AM of Labor day weekend there was a large bald eagle (unmistakable) flying from the woods and over the lake between the Moultonboro town beach and the Suissevale beach. Flew directly over my boat at least four different times in 30 minutes while fishing. I was shut out on the fish front but the trip was still a success. My daugher got a poor quality picture on her phone camera, but it was enough to get my wife to come the next day. - Caught lots of fish (shut out on the Eagle front)
Deepwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #25
Janie

We saw a bald eagle on Melvin Island while driving my boys to school last week. I went back and got my camera. Oddly enough, the picture of the two bald eagles above looks a lot like my shot - on a dead tree overlooking the lake. Did you see the two eagles on Melvin Island, too?
Tuftonboro, NH
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #26
ApS

Cool Not MY sighting, but...

A birder whose observations are usually on-target sighted a Golden Eagle overhead yesterday after 4PM.

It was headed towards West Alton. (For a literal "heads up").

UPDATE: (Three days later).

The Golden Eagle soared back today—once again at 4PM. Boy, were our local Loons unhappy about that overflight!

And now I know where all my crayfish have gone. A pair of semi-shy diving ducks picked off six crayfish in two minutes! (Most likely a merganser of some kind—but not in my bird book).

Field notes are:

[1]a yellow lower bill,
[2]white undersides,
[3]tail feathers held flat on the water's surface,
[4]dull brown-gray upper parts including the upper bill,
[5]black eyes
[6]small size, maybe smaller than a Hooded Merganser,
[7]not as fast a flyer as a Hooded Merganser, and
[8]a short fringe of neck feathers. (Like the female Common Merganser, but colored gray, and "crewcut").

I have no idea what they were....

Last edited by ApS; 09-27-2007 at 05:35 AM. Reason: More sightings...
Old 10-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #27
Smitty1

Default Bald Eagles

On our way back from the Chowda Fest on the boat we were heading towards Braun Bay and my son said "Look at the Bald Eagles".
Sure enough there were three of them flying towards Kona.

Awesome sight and great way to end the last boat ride of the season.

Smitty1
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #28
SIKSUKR

Bump this thread.Saw this article on WMUR's website.Good to see the numbers increasing.

Record Number Of Eagles Spotted In New Hampshire

POSTED: 11:11 am EST January 29, 2008

CONCORD, N.H. -- A record number of eagles is living in New Hampshire this winter.

Observers counted 67 bald eagles in the state during the 2008 National Mid-winter Bald Eagle Survey. They were on the watch for eagles during two weeks this month.

Chris Martin of the New Hampshire Audubon Society said the results were stunning.

Most were seen on one day of surveying. On the survey day in 1982, only two bald eagles were spotted.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #29
fatlazyless

Place a dead drowned red or grey squirrel out on the ice, say 20 yards off shore, and it's likely to be eaten by either crows or the eagle. Maybe after sitting out on the white ice for 30 minutes, it attracts big black crows that start in on all sharing the drowned squirrel, and then maybe the eagle will show up and scare them away. The crows see the eagle and it's 'goodbye lunch' for the crows. The eagle picks up the squirrel, and flys further out onto the ice, maybe one half mile off shore, and eats the squirrel all by itself.

With four large Pin Oak trees and their acorns, my tiny little lot is prime for squirrel-chipmunks. The chipmunks must be hibernating now. While chipmunks are a gentle little animal, the grey squirrels are tough, strong and very agile. The squirrels like to move into the fiberglass insulation beneath the floor in the crawl space so the old Hav-a-Heart trap & peanut butter is usually on full alert. This time of year, It works pretty good with the cheapest peanut butter for me and the birdies.

I suppose that crashing through the ice in an automobile would be similar to an Hav-a-Hearted squirrel's last wet dip. Looking at the squirrel's intact facial expression, drowning is a very unpleasant way to go, but at least it is quick.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-30-2008 at 08:44 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #30
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The squirrels like to move into the fiberglass insulation beneath the floor in the crawl space so the old Hav-a-Heart trap & peanut butter is usually on full alert. This time of year, It works pretty good with the cheapest peanut butter for me and the birdies.
I'll have to try my Hav-a-Hart with peanut butter. I've got some greys in the eves. Last time I used nuts in the trap and, lo and behold, I trapped a skunk. After that things got REAL interesting...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #31
Dave M

Default Old squirrel trick

Fill a five gallon bucket half full of water and put some bird seed in it.
Place a ramp up to the opening. The squirrel goes in for the food but can't get out due to the water. If catch one put cover on and move it.
Learned this from some persons at Aguay.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #32
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
...I trapped a skunk. After that things got REAL interesting...
What a great use for the photopost!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #33
kayakn

Default Bald & Golden Eagles

I have been watching 2 Golden Eagles fighting & feasting on something on the ice, probably leftover fish from last weekend. This would be near the northwest tip of Sleeper's facing mainland. They had been there for about 1.5 hours. Then circling over Sleeper's, I count 3 Golden's & 1 Bald Eagle. While the smallest Golden remains down on the ice feeding. What a site! Too far away for my camera, though. Keep a lookout for them. I have never seen so many together.
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #34
fatlazyless

This afternoon I heard an eagle's voice for about 20 seconds before seeing it one minute later. Upon hearing it's squeeky voice, my first thought was that the voice was that of a mink. About one minute later, it flew directly overhead, about 20' up, and landed on a nearby king pine. After a minute it flew the one mile to Timber Island, entirely at an extremely low altitude of about 12 inches above the frozen lake.