Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Where Have All The Fireflies Gone?

I haven’t seen a firefly in years and wonder if they have disappeared from the Lakes Region. I remember as a youngster seeing them in fields and along the edges of our lawn as soon as darkness came. We chased down a few as kids and were always fascinated by those twinkling lights. Perhaps they still exist in rural areas around the lake? Has anyone seen one of late?

In contrast, dragonflies seem to be in abundance this summer. I don’t recall ever seeing so many – perhaps the warm, dry weather has something to do with it.  Last night I saw at least thirty or more darting back and forth over my lawn apparently in search of food. As they are known to have a fondness for mosquitoes and other small, pesky insects, I welcome them with open arms and invite them to help themselves. They remind me of little helicopters and I marvel at how they are able to maneuver about. Even though they fly willy-nilly at top speeds, they never seem to collide. Guess they have their own built-in navigation systems. It is incredible that without GPS, buoys or beacons they never crash into each other. How do they do that?
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
ApS

Wink Where Have All The Fireflies Gone?

...Long time passing...

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Island Girl

Default Lots of them

We have lots of them each year on Rattlesnake Island. They have been here this summer.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
...Long time passing...
Gone to Strip Malls everyone
When will they ever learn, When will they ever learn

with apologies to Pete Seeger

Seriously, seems a lot of people noticed. I came accross this Associated Press story:
>> Story Link <<

Cratsley said replacing meadows and fields with strip malls and parking lots clearly cuts firefly numbers. And there's evidence that the glare of streetlights that come with urban sprawl may interfere with the courtship of some firefly species by washing out their flashes.

There is a lot more at the link above. They are looking for volunteers to enter observations in a database maintained by Firefly Watch, which is sponsored by the Boston Museum of Science.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Lucy Goose

We had many in this summer until a few weeks ago in our yard in Melvin Village. Maybe the heat this summer had something to do with it. We have been sitting out on our deck for over the last month with no mosquito encounters either. Lots of dragonflys but they are always around it seems. Maybe more? Maybe that's why there are less mosquitos? One could only pray!!!!
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Haven't seen a firefly all year....also the little yellow jacket honey bees are gone. Lots of the larger bumblebees. I understand that many farms are having to import bees to pollinate crops. There are two theories....one is mites, the other is aerial spraying.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Chickie

Default Re: Fireflies

Thanks so much RI Swamp Yankee for the most interesting and informative link on the disappearance of the fireflies. Knew it was not just my imagination that the fireflies are gone from this area. All the development and increased lighting is probably the reason. I haven’t seen a bumble bee this year either and usually have a few buzzing the clover around my lawn. Hope they are not disappearing, too.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote