Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Sully

Default Is there an increase in bear sightings this year?

This is our ninth season on the lake. We are fairly close to Trexlers Marina. Although we've had reason to suspect visiting bear, we have never seen more than a cub one midafternoon about five years ago. This past Monday night at about 8:30PM we heard a crash. It was the birdfeeder we've had hanging on heavy twine over a tree branch for years. We had a quite large bear within two feet of our house (on the lakeside!) enjoying the birdseed. The bear quite nonchallantly stayed for about 10 minutes while my wife and I peered through the window in mild shock. The following night at 6:30PM while driving on Moultonboro Neck Rd about one mile north of Trexler's we found another bear(a bit smaller) standing in the middle of the road. Thus my question, after eight seasons of never seeing a bear, this week we saw a bear TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW. Comments would be appreciated and I've learned my lesson......no more feeders until the snow flies!
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
icg56

Default Bears

We had one seen several times earlier this summer on Eagle Shores Road and Reading Lane. First time we had encountered bears during the day.
icg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by icg56 View Post
We had one seen several times earlier this summer on Eagle Shores Road and Reading Lane. First time we had encountered bears during the day.
We have had bears come through our property during the day for years. We live off Eagle Shore Road.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
donnamatrix

Default Bears all the time

We've had a bear on our FRONT PORCH! I posted the photo on WMUR and they put it on TV. But, we've had bears walk up the driveway, thru the yard, demolish bird feeders, etc. They're beautiful animals.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Some things about Bears

First lets start one some things about bears...

--- first they are just fun to watch at a distance.... ok sorry had to sneak that in their...

--- second, their territory is incredibly big. Having watched enough PBS specials Bears will roam quite a bit...

--- as a normal rule they want to stay the hell away from people, hence why you don't see them very often.

--- when people start to see them more often in an area something is wrong!!!!

So what is wrong out on the neck.... Well if you haven't noticed over say the last 10 years, there has been a lot of development, taking away natural habitat where these guys have normally hung out... Unfortunately now that the habitat is gone, the bears need places to forage and get food, unfortunately that means they probably need to relocate. Unfortunately they are stubborn creatures, so they don't want to... as long as bird feeders, and trash bins are accessible they will stick around and not find new territory. Now as concerned people what do we need to worry about...

If these guys start consistently making a visit to your yard, I might be concerned...if you have neighbors that just don't seem to understand and continue to put bird feeder out or leave there trash accessible... well I would speak to them... bottom line is this, once the bears know where a meal ticket is they will keep coming back for more... once they get to used to being in close proximity to humans we are screwed....

At that point, you call the game warden... and let them take care of the now some what domesticated wild animal.

The dumpsters for the Marina's are a huge concern of mine for attracting wildlife.... Quayside and Harilla both have dumpsters for their members... raccoons I know are always in them, it wouldn't surprise me if bears get to them once in a while either....
Old 08-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
rick35

Default Bear Island?

Anyone ever seen a bear on Bear Island? We've been on the island for years and have never seen one.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
We've had a bear on our FRONT PORCH! I posted the photo on WMUR and they put it on TV. But, we've had bears walk up the driveway, thru the yard, demolish bird feeders, etc. They're beautiful animals.
We have bird feeders hanging off our second floor decks. Last fall my husband was awaken to a noise out on the deck. He couldn't see anything so he opened the door. He then saw two huge paws with claws hanging on the railing. The bear was trying to climb up on the upper deck. We have the claw marks on our house that show where he climbed up. My husband loves showing the claw marks when people from urban areas come to visit.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I have had several bear encounters in my yard. One so close I almost wet my boxers...Not something I would like to reenact. But I believe it is always the same bear that comes by for a visit. Once in the Spring with a pair of cubs and once or twice each Fall by herself. Every once in a while we stand on our deck in October/November and you can hear grunting in the woods and it sounds like the thing is tearing down a tree or rolling rocks around or something. I just bought a big 2 million candlepower spot light so I can see it this time around.
I'll do my best to get better photos.

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Grant (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Grant

We had one on our dock during the day a few weeks ago. No one in our house saw it, and it was reported by a neighbor. A week later, a neighbor kayaking by stopped and mentioned that her large composter had been overturned and knock down an incline...too much for a raccoon. Pretty cool. Wish I'd seen it.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
fatlazyless

First time ever for me to see a bear on Meredith Neck. On Sunday, just below where Meredith Neck Rd turns into Cattle Landing Rd at the s-curve, at about 6-pm, saw a 150-200 lb black bear scamper across the road and down through the normally swampy woods, heading toward the uninhabited Camp Monotomy girl scout camp. It looked like a healthy bear, as it crossed the paved road right in front of my car and jogged past the 'no hunting-posted' signs, and down a bear-deer-fox trail, and off into the deep, dark woods.

Probably, it knows enough to head for Bear island, a long time traditional bear, hunting exempt island refuge, as the bear hunting season goes into 'lock & load' on the September 1 start of bear hunting season. Good time for a smart bear to be look'n for leftovers in the island camps.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-05-2010 at 10:00 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default It seems bears have discovered...

more exciting things to do.

Who needs dumpsters and birdfeeders when you can do the "Alaskan Pole Dance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnORbUYjI5c
jeffk (09-06-2010), Pepper (09-05-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
MJM

Wolfeboro Neck apparently has a new bear resident....been seen in several yards many times over the past few weeks.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJM For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-15-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
GTO

Default more and more....

In the past 5 years, we have had bear(s) in our neighborhood frequently. This summer alone, there were at least 5 sightings of him walking through yards....in broad daylight. We went skiing at the far end of Blackeys Cove a few weekends ago at about 7 in the morning. We just got down the very end on the left and we all saw the biggest bear any of us had ever seen walking across the shore. This one was full grown. Makes you think twice about taking the dog for a walk in the woods
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
KBoater

It could be the Forest Rd bear wandering around.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Senter Cove Guy

Default Bear Sighting

Check this out. This sighting took place in my daughter's backyard in Tuftonboro on 09/07/2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kG63SGB1Zs

Grant (09-15-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #16
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
Check this out. This sighting took place in my daughter's backyard in Tuftonboro on 09/07/2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kG63SGB1Zs

I believe it is bear hunting season right now in NH. I had two walk through my yard yesterday, but I am not saying where this is because I don't want them shot. I like it that the bears continually pass by.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #17
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I believe it is bear hunting season right now in NH. I had two walk through my yard yesterday, but I am not saying where this is because I don't want them shot. I like it that the bears continually pass by.
Proper conservation of these animals will allow you to see these animals for generations to come and hunting is the biggest part of that conservation force. Over population creates a recipe for disaster for these animals. Hunters are not the enemy and most are some of the most respectful stewards of the open lands in this state that you will probably ever meet.

There are some that are less than sporting in their pursuit of harvesting game. And for that, I do not blame you at all for not wanting to disclose your location, I would not for my own area.

GBG, please know that I am not condemning your post (your posts give the impression of a pretty fair and balanced person), you have every right to have whatever opinion on the matter that you wish to have. For most hunters, the actual act of harvesting game is the climax to lots of dedication of time and energy. All game animals are respected and honored by the people that choose to persue them. There is more of an emotional connection than you might think.

And to stay on topic, don't feed the bears.

It is a treat to be able to live in an area where you can view these animals in their natural habitat. Even if we are encroaching on it.

Last edited by jmen24; 09-15-2010 at 01:33 PM.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #18
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Proper conservation of these animals will allow you to see these animals for generations to come and hunting is the biggest part of that conservation force. Over population creates a recipe for disaster for these animals. Hunters are not the enemy and most are some of the most respectful stewards of the open lands in this state that you will probably ever meet.

There are some that are less than sporting in their pursuit of harvesting game. And for that, I do not blame you at all for not wanting to disclose your location, I would not for my own area.

GBG, please know that I am not condemning your post (your posts give the impression of a pretty fair and balanced person), you have every right to have whatever opinion on the matter that you wish to have. For most hunters, the actual act of harvesting game is the climax to lots of dedication of time and energy. All game animals are respected and honored by the people that choose to persue them. There is more of an emotional connection than you might think.

And to stay on topic, don't feed the bears.

It is a treat to be able to live in an area where you can view these animals in their natural habitat. Even if we are encroaching on it.
I am not against hunting. I just hope the bears that I enjoy watching are not shot. My husband is an avid hunter. He hunts deer for a week in NY state and for two weeks in Kansas. I personally would not want to hunt or shoot an animal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (09-16-2010)
Old 09-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #19
Lucky1

Just in case this was not stressed.....Black Bears are not to be mistaken for friendly pets or visitors. They can attack and maul or kill a human easily. Mom's with cubs are subject to being startled and then have been known to attack to protect the cubs.

I do not know what the answer is but think it wise to not have any food around (the squirrels actually ate through the feeding holes in my feeders). Keep any garbage in the garage or in a locked trash bin. Use a light at night to see and prevent walking into an area where there is a bear. We had bears coming to a rental cottage not far away to raid the trash bin for food. I think this was about five years ago.

It can be quite dangerous to startle a large black bear ESPECIALLY ONE WITH CUBS.

Stay safe.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote