Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
GTO

Default Bike week question

Ok, before anybody gets down on me.....I have nothing against bike week. I personally think its cute that you get thousands of people from all over the country...all dressing in the same color...black, on 90 degree days. Although I did see one smart rider going up the hill on rt 25 on Saturday near the school. He must of been getting too hot with all the leather so he took off his coat and put it in the cargo net on his seat. oooppps, should of secured it a little better, maybe it wouldn't have got sucked up under your wheel and bike and made you come to an abrupt stop. Very humorous though as he and 2 buddies stood in the middle of the road trying to yank the coat out.
anyway, back to my question. Why in the name of God, do bikers insist on riding the solid yellow line when they travel 2 abreast? Coming in on 104 on a rainy Friday night, I could of wiped out a few if I wasn't paying attn and hugging the right side of the road. Almost made me want to put the plow back on and ..well.
And why is it ok for two motorcycles to ride side by side, less than 4 feet from each other on pavement going 70 mph...but 2 seadoos have to be 150 ft apart on water and can't go more than 45mph?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
hilltopper

I don't know why some bikers do this, but I know you're not the only one that notices this practice. An article in The Citizen yesterday (looked but couldn't find it) had a statement at the end of it that the Bike Week organizers and Laconia PD strongly discourage what my buddy refers to as "the centerliners".

Found the link: http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS02/706219919

This is the statement made in the article:
— With that said, motorcyclists really need to heed the advice of city and rally officials and stay off the center line. I can't tell you how many times I saw bikes riding dangerously close to oncoming traffic. I almost wore a few as a hood ornament myself and it is downright scary for those of us in cars.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Seeker

My wife and I took my Vette for a ride around here on some backroads (153) on Wednesday, the best day of bike week. We then headed over to Wolfeboro and then down to Alton and Laconia to Sawyers for some fried clams. We literally passed hundreds of bikers and I could not believe how many were riding the center line. The idiots with the highway pegs doing this actually had a foot over the line.
My neighbor, who lives in Mass, was going home on Saturday and witnessed a real bad bike accident in Tamworth where (according to him) 2 bikes, both in large groups going in opposite directions, were riding too close to the center and clipped mirrors causing the accident. 2 helicopters had to respond to transport 1 to Dartmouth Hitchcock and the other to Maine Med. Remaining went by ambulance.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
dpg

Can't really comment on why some bikes hug the yellow line so much. However I do know why they generally will not ride the middle of their side. That's where cars will drip any oil, coolant, etc that one may be losing. Have you even notices the "dark" center patch in the middle of the lane? Hit something new (wet) and bang, your going over. Mighty sarcastic opening to the beginning of this thread by the way. No, I do not own a bike.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ok, before anybody gets down on me.....I have nothing against bike week. I personally think its cute that you get thousands of people from all over the country...all dressing in the same color...black, on 90 degree days.
90 degrees? What bike week are you talking about, Southern Florida?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Can't really comment on why some bikes hug the yellow line so much. However I do know why they generally will not ride the middle of their side. That's where cars will drip any oil, coolant, etc that one may be losing. Have you even notices the "dark" center patch in the middle of the lane? Hit something new (wet) and bang, your going over. Mighty sarcastic opening to the beginning of this thread by the way. No, I do not own a bike.
This is very true, bikers try to stay out of the danger zone in the middle of a lane. IMO, they should all stay in the the tire tracks, that is where the cars wheels would be. Riding the centerline is incredibly dangerous, and is a pet peeve of mine as well.

A little story. I used to commute through Boston to Newton for work. One hot summer day I was riding my m'cycle down Storrow Drive. I came out of the tunnel and up around the bend towards the Hatch Shell. I got into the middle of the lane (the danger zone) and my back wheel lost traction and I started skidding. I was real close to going down. A bit further down the road I came to a red light. I stopped and put my feet down. My right foot slipped right out from underneath me, and I nearly tipped over just sitting there.

So yes, that center of the lane can be very very slippery. But one does not have to ride down the center line to avoid it.

BTW, there was discussion about this recently here:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7795

Last edited by chipj29; 06-23-2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added link
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I agree that the opening of this thread had a very negative tone to it. The comments towards bikers were really not necessary to ask the question.

I have noticed that even the NH State Police on motorcycles ride side by side. To me, it leaves little room to swerve out of the way of a hazard, and as mentioned, leaves one rider too close to the center of the road. I am surprised that they do this.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I agree that the opening of this thread had a very negative tone to it. The comments towards bikers were really not necessary to ask the question.

I have noticed that even the NH State Police on motorcycles ride side by side. To me, it leaves little room to swerve out of the way of a hazard, and as mentioned, leaves one rider too close to the center of the road. I am surprised that they do this.
Do you think GTO told "THEM" they all look cute in black? I doubt it.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

Appearently not so in NH but in some states ridding side by side is acctually illegal......
Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
GTO

Default kettle black

Quote:
Here is one of your quotes from the rude service at Bonnies tattoo place that you posted:

Dragonfly couldn't wait, needed to ger her (??) oil changed in the chopper at 6:30! Oh O.K. I'm sorry, just being a smart !@#$

Did you tell her that? I doubt it. You did it here in the forum. I guess that one was a little light but I bet if I go back into your other 790 posts, that I can find something. I guess you are the only one that can be a smart ass here....am I correct.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

If you look closely at bikers traveling in a group at highway speed there are normally two staggered rows of bikes. One row with wheels about were a car left wheels run and a row about where a car right wheels run. But the rows are normally staggered at speed so any one bike has emergency left to right space. When slowing or stopping the staggering normally goes away. A few bikers will ride side by side at speed and I agree this is unsafe. My wife and I have ridden in many groups over the years and the bike rows have always been staggered at speed.

I have taken both a basic riding class (long ago) and in recent years an experienced riders course. As a defensive measure, a single bike should ride on the left side of the travel lane on a two way undivided highway (about where a car left wheel rides). Riding on the right side invites car drivers to try to pass you in the left side of your lane. So riding on the left side “claims” you space in the lane. The middle of the travel lane is where the oil, pavement cracks, etc exist.

While many bikers do in fact crowd the center line, most are riding where a car left wheel would travel. And, I’ll add, most of us are responsible riders.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 06-23-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
jrc

The guys on the center line are doing this to get attention, same as the loud pipes guys. I'm a long time bike rider and I know the type, nothing makes them happier than someone complaining about them.

When I ride in a group we ride staggered, not side by side. One guy is in the left tire track, then next guy in the right but a little behind. When we stop at a light we line up side by side to chat.

When I crashed my bike (must be 10 years now) I was glad that I didn't take anyone else down with me. And luckly it was hot, so I had removed my jacket, saved it from getting all covered with road rash and blood
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
HAHLY

Default You stand corrected

Quote:
He has told me on more than one occasion how cute I look in my chaps
HAHLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
The guys on the center line are doing this to get attention, same as the loud pipes guys. I'm a long time bike rider and I know the type, nothing makes them happier than someone complaining about them.

When I ride in a group we ride staggered, not side by side. One guy is in the left tire track, then next guy in the right but a little behind. When we stop at a light we line up side by side to chat.

When I crashed my bike (must be 10 years now) I was glad that I didn't take anyone else down with me. And luckly it was hot, so I had removed my jacket, saved it from getting all covered with road rash and blood
JRC got it right...

Your supposed to ride STAGGERED, not side by side, one in the left tire groove, one bike in the right tire groove.... You need to leave enough room in your STAGGERED formation to allow for emergency manouvers. drift over the center and you are going to have a VERY bad day!!

On another note... I think they need to teach some bikers how to tighten up and hold thier line in a turn! It amazes me how many bikers dont know how to do this and end up in the gravel or over the yellow line! The rear brake is your friend! Use it!

Woodsy
Old 06-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

The only time I seen or have taken part in side by side riding is when a motorcycle club is parade riding. Usually this is done for a charity ride or club event at reduced speeds. Yes, sometimes the clubs Sergeant At Arms who rides 1st position on left will hug the center lane to ensure on comming traffic has made as much room as possible for his members. As long as he has not crossed the center line, no laws have been broken. Most normal riding is staggered formation exactly as Woodsy and slickcraft have previously noted.

GTO...You obviously have never been on a motorcycle. Leather is worn for a reason. Besides the obvious safety factor, leather is heavier and does not flap around when riding at highway speeds. A cotton shirt with a collar will beat your face up pretty good on the highway!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
GTO

Default mmmm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAHLY View Post
He has told me on more than one occasion how cute I look in my chaps
I was hoping you'd come to my defense. You look cute without your chaps too.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #17
GTO

Default oh ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
The only time I seen or have taken part in side by side riding is when a motorcycle club is parade riding. Usually this is done for a charity ride or club event at reduced speeds. Yes, sometimes the clubs Sergeant At Arms who rides 1st position on left will hug the center lane to ensure on comming traffic has made as much room as possible for his members. As long as he has not crossed the center line, no laws have been broken. Most normal riding is staggered formation exactly as Woodsy and slickcraft have previously noted.

GTO...You obviously have never been on a motorcycle. Leather is worn for a reason. Besides the obvious safety factor, leather is heavier and does not flap around when riding at highway speeds. A cotton shirt with a collar will beat your face up pretty good on the highway!

Dan
There must of been alot of charity events this past weekend, especially the one that took place on rte 104 at 10:00 at night, while raining. And everybody that was driving on the center line must of been a seargent of arms. Maybe if I would of hit one of them by accident, the next charity event could of been held in his honor. Probably not, his safety leather might have saved him.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
JRC got it right...

Your supposed to ride STAGGERED, not side by side, one in the left tire groove, one bike in the right tire groove.... You need to leave enough room in your STAGGERED formation to allow for emergency manouvers. drift over the center and you are going to have a VERY bad day!!

On another note... I think they need to teach some bikers how to tighten up and hold thier line in a turn! It amazes me how many bikers dont know how to do this and end up in the gravel or over the yellow line! The rear brake is your friend! Use it!

Woodsy
As usual my friend you ARE correct as are many others here, we can always count on you for the correct answer Some people just don't have enough time on the road to do it right without getting too close, those are the one's we put on the right

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
BrownEyedGirl

Wink Indeed he did

Quote:
To answer your question he actually did tell quite a few of them they looked cute, the day we were out cruising in my new toy with the top down Good thing she go from zero to sixty in six seconds.
BrownEyedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
Dave R

Bikers riding on the center line need to be given as little comfort room as possible. Squeeze 'em hard. They should not be playing chicken with cars.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #21
KTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Bikers riding on the center line need to be given as little comfort room as possible. Squeeze 'em hard. They should not be playing chicken with cars.
I would except I think I might squeeze a little too hard, if you know what I mean, and I'll be in my own little squeeze with a vehicular homicide case.

So if bikes can "Stagger" that means I should be able to "stagger" my jet ski with my friends too, right?
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #22
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here is one of your quotes from the rude service at Bonnies tattoo place that you posted:

Dragonfly couldn't wait, needed to ger her (??) oil changed in the chopper at 6:30! Oh O.K. I'm sorry, just being a smart !@#$

Did you tell her that? I doubt it. You did it here in the forum. I guess that one was a little light but I bet if I go back into your other 790 posts, that I can find something. I guess you are the only one that can be a smart ass here....am I correct.
Yup, you got it right!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #23
The Eagle

Default Riding the line.

My son is a biker and took the Safty Course, and he confirmed that riding the center line is often taught, so as to avoid the center of the lane, where oil drips out of autos. HOWEVER, here's a question for the bikers...IF you want to ride the center line FINE, as long as there is NO ON COMMING TRAFFIC! Do you know how many times I have come around a corner, driving my Tahoe, or down on a narrow back road, and some biker is riding right on, or has his foot pegs over the center line and will refuse to (use his common sense) and move back a bit, and make for a safe clearance? Here's a "No Brainer," for all you, Macho's who think they are indestructable on a motorcycle...hitting an SUV head on, is NOT a good idea! IT WILL KILL YOU! And it will hurt! Yes, I', being VERY scarcastic, but bikers need to use plain common sense in dangerous situtations. I watch out for bikers, and give them the room when ever it's needed, but I think bikers should, RETURN that same respect for the road. "Yes, Motorcycles are everywhere," but so are accidents waiting to happen. There, I've said my 2 cents worth, Thank you for bringing up this post about a subject, which has bugged me for years!
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #24
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Dave, I know you ride and so do I. So I guess that's why I'm a little confused about this response. I agree that riding the center line is pretty stupid, but why would anybody in their right mind, particularly another rider, recommend to other drivers to "Squeeze 'em hard"? That is the rough equivalent of slamming hard on your brakes in order to scare a tailgater. It might make you feel good if said tailgater reacts in time to avoid slamming into your hind quarters, but what if he doesn't? Again, I don't agree with riding the center line anymore than I agree with tailgating, but if I see it happen I give'em all the space they think they need. The satisfaction of a lesson well taught is not worth getting somebody killed over.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #25
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Dave, I know you ride and so do I. So I guess that's why I'm a little confused about this response. I agree that riding the center line is pretty stupid, but why would anybody in their right mind, particularly another rider, recommend to other drivers to "Squeeze 'em hard"? That is the rough equivalent of slamming hard on your brakes in order to scare a tailgater. It might make you feel good if said tailgater reacts in time to avoid slamming into your hind quarters, but what if he doesn't? Again, I don't agree with riding the center line anymore than I agree with tailgating, but if I see it happen I give'em all the space they think they need. The satisfaction of a lesson well taught is not worth getting somebody killed over.
I guess because I have no affinity with people who ride like morons. I would never brake hard for tailgaters, that's a surprise move with intentions of causing an accident. My recommendation is to simply hold your line, be predictable and not be cowed by morons. A few inches of space between vehicles is the same as a mile when they don't touch. If push comes to shove, obviously, don't have an accident. That said, they ALWAYS move over when I hold my line.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #26
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
My son is a biker and took the Safty Course, and he confirmed that riding the center line is often taught, so as to avoid the center of the lane, where oil drips out of autos.
Unless we're talking about a REAL narrow, two lane road, riding the center line and riding the left side tire line of a car are two different things. There's generally plenty of room to ride between the center of a travel lane (oil drippings, fluids, etc.) and the double yellow line. Most bikers manage this just fine...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #27
fatlazyless

How many fatal, motorcycle related crashes this year? Did not hear of any, which obvously is a good thing. Some local newspaper could do an article on that and show the number of dead for each year, for the last ten years. What's the reason.....the riders....the weather...the police...the price of gas....the numbers of bikers?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #28
ironhorsetim

Quote:
You go ahead and keep that practice up...you'll end up doing it to "the wrong group" and you'll find out why the last guy wears a 2 inch chain over his shoulder..on a serious note "can't we all just get along"

Ernest Hemmingway
Old 06-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #29
Gatto Nero

Quote:
I guess because I have no affinity with people who ride like morons. I would never brake hard for tailgaters, that's a surprise move with intentions of causing an accident. My recommendation is to simply hold your line, be predictable and not be cowed by morons. A few inches of space between vehicles is the same as a mile when they don't touch. If push comes to shove, obviously, don't have an accident. That said, they ALWAYS move over when I hold my line.
Ok, some ride like morons. Agreed. But by doing what you are suggesting you are just playing that same game of chicken with them instead of taking the high road and just moving over. What does that make you?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #30
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Unless we're talking about a REAL narrow, two lane road, riding the center line and riding the left side tire line of a car are two different things. There's generally plenty of room to ride between the center of a travel lane (oil drippings, fluids, etc.) and the double yellow line. Most bikers manage this just fine...
Thanks HT- you nailed it. There is absolutely no reason to ride that line as tight as many riders do. The auto tire track is not on the center line it is almost 2 feet from the line (otherwise cars would be scraping each other driving in opposite directions). The center line is a horrible place to be.

Ride Safe!!

I was going to hold my thoughts but............

GTO, A question for you- why do all those jetskiers wear those almost identical vest thingys? BTW it would not have been humorous if the jacket had caused him to spill. It is not humorous when I stop my boat to return something that has fallen off another boat or jet ski either. It's called being helpful (did you ask if they needed a hand?)

Brown Eyed Girl- 0-60 in 6 seconds?? Even my old slow bike can do that. You might want to work on that ride a bit before you throw #s around like that. I'll meet you at the track in my diesel powered pickup, no need to pull the Olds out of the garage for the light work.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #31
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
You hit the nail on the head with this post. Could not agree more.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
dpg

Yeah I agree with Chip...Nobody should be squeezing people, this is dangerous and dumb. However I feel bikers can stay off the yellow a bit also.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #33
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Thanks HT- you nailed it. There is absolutely no reason to ride that line as tight as many riders do. The auto tire track is not on the center line it is almost 2 feet from the line (otherwise cars would be scraping each other driving in opposite directions). The center line is a horrible place to be.

Ride Safe!!

I
Brown Eyed Girl- 0-60 in 6 seconds?? Even my old slow bike can do that. You might want to work on that ride a bit before you throw #s around like that. I'll meet you at the track in my diesel powered pickup, no need to pull the Olds out of the garage for the light work.
haha I thought the same thing. I think my V6 Accord might be capable of that!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #34
GTO

Default well, because

[QUOTE=VitaBene;98256]Thanks HT- you nailed it. There is absolutely no reason to ride that line as tight as many riders do. The auto tire track is not on the center line it is almost 2 feet from the line (otherwise cars would be scraping each other driving in opposite directions). The center line is a horrible place to be.

Ride Safe!!

I was going to hold my thoughts but............

GTO, A question for you- why do all those jetskiers wear those almost identical vest thingys? BTW it would not have been humorous if the jacket had caused him to spill. It is not humorous when I stop my boat to return something that has fallen off another boat or jet ski either. It's called being helpful (did you ask if they needed a hand?)

Fair question.

You see, someone in the state of NH and I believe alot of other states, made this silly law that says we "Have" to wear them. If that wasn't a silly law, I bet alot of people woule be wearing safety leather on their jet skiis.

Fortunately, the jacket going under the tire did not cause an accident. Although if it did, there would be a new thread with prayers for all involved, was drinking a factor, crime scene reconstruction wannabes, armchair lawyers etc. so I guess we are lucky we don't have to read a thread like that.

Oh, and I lost a bumper from my boat last week, Being the good samaritan you are, can you please find it for me and return it. I lost it somewhere between Merideth Bay and Alton Bay. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #35
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Yeah I agree with Chip...Nobody should be squeezing people, this is dangerous and dumb. However I feel bikers can stay off the yellow a bit also.
Exactly....nobody should be ON the yellow line there's enough room on both sides of it for everyone

Ernest Hemmingway
Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #36
CrawfordCentury

Nearly three dozen posts. Before this, I always thought that I was the only person who noticed.

Not a biker myself, but it continues to irk me a little. The posts about leaked car fluid were educational. Thx!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #37
KTO

Quote:
I agree. As a matter of fact, I ride the right side of the road because I don't want to accidentally kill a biker moving into my lane. I could see there being problems with that.

But YES bikers need to stay away from the yellow line, NOT ON IT. Oh, and hanging your feet OVER the yellow line is STILL OVER THE LINE!

You think a biker would be as willing to do that if a cop was following them? Doubt it.

It's like that old rhyme my parents used to tell me as a kid when I stuck myself too far out the windows: "Heads and arms out too far, might go home in another car"...applies to bikers too!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #38
HAHLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
Yeah, like he said. But you gotta admit, we look pretty damn cool.
HAHLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #39
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

The reason jet skis have to be 150' apart is because they are considered boats, and it is the law. And there is usually plenty of room to separate. A road is only so wide. And what, cars stay 150 feet apart on the road? Not the roads I drive on. I actually thought everyone up here was gay when I first moved here. Because everyone on the road was tailgating my a$$ everywhere I did the speed limit.
And 45mph on the lake is because you did not do enough at the State House to get them to kill that idiotic bill. Well, maybe you did do something, but we sure didn't do enough. So there it is, plain and simple.

I have been riding for over 40 years, so Gee, why is it that cars think they can pull out in front of me at intersections where I have the right of way and almost put me into a tree? Who knows. And why does everyone that tows a jet ski or boat trailer, always have their left tire over the yellow when coming around a corner. should I hit them, maybe have a charity event for their skis or boat? Gee, Who knows?

I see a Big rig coming down the road, I pull over. I see a woman walking her dog down the road, I pull over, I see a boat trailer coming, I pull over. I see the Tuftonboro Police cruiser coming down the road with two tires on my side of the road, I pull over.

That said, I have a comment about the charity rides. I attend many charity rides. Many do great good, for great causes, and help many people that are in need. I also belong to the Patriot Guard, who ride to the funerals of fallen soldiers. We have riding rules that do not include riding the center line of the roads if at all possible. In NH there have been over 35 rides for the soldiers of this state who have given their lives, so you can make comments about charity rides, but the next time you see a group of riders on a charity or memorial run, have some respect for they are accomplishing rather than worrying about killing someone, "By accident"....or squeezing us over. Umm , BTW exactly how many charity events has everyone here been to lately. How many service men, and women funerals have you been to?
How many have given to Toys for Tots? How many Blood drive rides have you been to? Not saying you haven't been to any, but Bikers are one group that donate a lot of time and energy to help people, so don't stereotype us all as being "morons".

By the way, riding in pairs or staggered creates a larger frontal section. This helps oncoming traffic to see us coming. Also the headlights when riding abreast make it look like a larger vehicle coming your way. This is all to aid in helping you to see us on our bikes. Usually because your on your cell phone or fiddling with your GPS units, trying light a butt, or texting the wife what you want for dinner.

This is the main advantage for riding two abreast....Just an FYI.

Just drive like a considerate person. I do. The bike will be gone down the road behind you, and you'll still be driving down the road ahead of you. Both going home to your respective families. not wondering if you are going to get sued for killing a biker..."By accident"....

One last thing...Yes I like my leather. I paid a lot of money for them, and I like them in Black.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #40
BrownEyedGirl

Smile

Your on Vita! I'll be riding my brand spankin new lawnmower. 0-60 in three days...
Did you really think I was serious about that? Come on now!
I have no idea how long it takes to get the car to sixty mph I never really timed it.
I know it's really fast, white, a mercedes, and expensive. That's what Dad's are for ;-P
It was fast enough to get away from the big bikers that did not appreciate GTO's compliments.

On a more serious note, any boaters (especially sea kayakers!) reading this, please be warned. GTO and I will be swimming across the broads tommorow looking for his boat bumper. Red swim caps...sure. But we have not yet found a law that requires swim suits. Any takers?

Last edited by BrownEyedGirl; 06-24-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: changed sixty seconds to sixty mph
BrownEyedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #41
VitaBene

Default Bumper

GTO, its in the forum lost and found. If you put your name on it, I would have returned it directly.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #42
fatlazyless

There was a head-on collision between a Laconia police officer and another motorcycle on Route 3 in the Weirs. No broken bones, but lots of road rash, and it could have been a lot worse for the officer and thankfully it was not. Do not know about the other driver.

The story I heard was the officer, riding a police Harley with flashing blue lights was going about 30-40mph, and a new to motorcycles, 27 year old male, driving a rice rocket, crossed the center line while turning onto the road, going about 15mph, directly into the police officer's path. There was a photo in the paper of both bikes laying out on the road, after the collision.

"To serve & protect, and to get a nice fat pension after just 20 years if they last that long!"
www.laconiapd.org

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-25-2009 at 10:23 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #43
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I have been riding for over 40 years, so Gee, why is it that cars think they can pull out in front of me at intersections where I have the right of way and almost put me into a tree? Who knows. And why does everyone that tows a jet ski or boat trailer, always have their left tire over the yellow when coming around a corner. should I hit them, maybe have a charity event for their skis or boat? Gee, Who knows?
I agree with your whole post, with one exception which I bolded.
A car pulling out in front of you would be an accident. Not done intentionally*.
A bike riding on or partially over the yellow line would be intentional*.
To me, that is a real big difference.

*MOST of the time
Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #44
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Ok, some ride like morons. Agreed. But by doing what you are suggesting you are just playing that same game of chicken with them instead of taking the high road and just moving over. What does that make you?
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting to get in their path, only to not give them any extra room. Make it clear to them that you will pass within inches, that's all. They always move, even though they don't NEED to. Simply drive as though a pedestrian is on your right and you can't move over, there might be one there...

To clarify some more: This odd behavior of riding on the wrong side of the center line is VERY dangerous. It's obviously dangerous to the person doing it and the oncoming traffic, but it's also dangerous to anyone else in the area where it happens. Pedestrians, cyclists, the operators behind the offending biker, the operator beside the offending biker, and the operators behind the car that moves over to give the offending biker room to be a moron, are all put at risk by this behavior.

That center line should be sacred to all, it is to me. I'm very careful to not cross it, regardless of what I am operating. For instance, I don't use a towed boat as an excuse to drive poorly, rather, I see it as a reason to operate with extra precision and care. I wish more people would.

My actions effectively discourage dangerous behavior simply by putting my car/bike/boat precisely where it's EXPECTED to be. I'd like to think it makes me thoughtful.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #45
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

VitaBene....be careful, if you take that challenge. I've seen her lawn mower...

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #46
John A. Birdsall

Default Motorcycle drivers or cylceboneheads

I used to ride a motorcycle but gave it up. But what gets me is the cycleboneheads that get on the center line and refuse to move over. I also think that they are so smart when in heavy traffic going between the cars so that they can get someplace faster. Last weekend in Worchester Mass on 290 an cyclebonehead was doing wheelies between traffic. Where are the police when things like this happen...
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #47
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
I also think that they are so smart when in heavy traffic going between the cars so that they can get someplace faster.
That's actually legal almost everywhere in the world, but not in the US (California excluded). I think it would be a good idea to legalize it here because bikes become part of the solution, not part of the traffic jam. It also encourages motorcycling in areas that suffer heavy traffic.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #48
KTO

Quote:
I used to ride a motorcycle but gave it up. But what gets me is the cycleboneheads that get on the center line and refuse to move over. I also think that they are so smart when in heavy traffic going between the cars so that they can get someplace faster. Last weekend in Worchester Mass on 290 an cyclebonehead was doing wheelies between traffic. Where are the police when things like this happen...
They're catching the innocent person who accidentally went 5 miles over the speed limit without realizing it and feels terrible about doing it.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #49
VitaBene

Default OK I give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
VitaBene....be careful, if you take that challenge. I've seen her lawn mower...

for now........ I'm going to have to get out to the garage to see if I can stuff a 455 Olds into my garden tractor!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #50
BrownEyedGirl

Talking Lakesrider!

Lakesrider! I thought I told you to stay out of my garage!!
Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 AM   #51
ApS

Question Copenhagen?

Quote:
"...Last weekend in Worchester Mass on 290 an cyclebonehead was doing wheelies between traffic. Where are the police when things like this happen...
...and...
Quote:
"...I think it would be a good idea to legalize it here because bikes become part of the solution, not part of the traffic jam..."
A law allowing motorcycles to drive through traffic would be unpopular in southern states—or any other locale—where tobacco is taken by chewing.

A car door being opened in stopped traffic (to expel a byproduct of chewing tobacco) would prove a mutual surprise to both biker and chewer!