Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
feb

Default Swim Raft - Build or Buy?

I'm wondering what the consensus is regarding building a swim raft versus buying a swim raft. From what I have been quoted, a basic wooden raft with plastic floats costs about $1200. I gotta believe that it can be built for half that but is it really worth it. Can anyone share their experiences either way? Did you build one and find it to be harder than originally thought? Did you buy one and then realized that there really isn't much too them?
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
madrasahs

Thumbs up Maybe pressure treated is better

We built our first (and only) swim raft out of untreated 1X6s and 2X6 lumber. It rotted-through in just a few years. Painting the top might have been a mistake in longevity -- it should have been allowed to dry out thoroughly after getting wet.

The advantages were that it was lightweight (styrofoam logs), low to the water (great one-ski waterski starts -- and landings , easy to climb onto) and easy to flip over and haul onto shore for the winter.

Winnipesaukee didn't have the duck-residue problem that we have now. (I don't remember any mallards back then -- and there's none in our old pictures).

Winnisquam may have less of the washing-machine-agitation than Winnipesaukee has today, and a wood raft may last longer over there.

(Pressure-treated -- PT -- isn't that much more money, and 2X6s are only a little more expensive than 5/4ths (which, in yellow pine, tend to be crooked and flimsy). Leave large spaces between boards for drying. I'd make it as wide as possible so it's not too tippy. Remember, too, it'll be much heavier at the end of the season.

As for myself, only one of the two styrofoam logs has survived the decades, so I started collecting 2-liter empties to float my "new" raft. (And cage them securely).

Since the state is rumored to be taxing swim rafts, I've put the project on the back burner until that's resolved.

Anyway, if you're at all handy -- as you suggest -- I'd give building it a try.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
The Lake

Had it built for me cheaper than those ugly plastic or alluminum pre fab ones no charm.

Lakes Region Marine installed the mooring and built the raft. www.lakesregionmarine.com
The Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
Loony Singer

Default best of both worlds (we think)

We had Center Harbor Dock & Pier make us a raft. Aluminum frame and plastic floats, but with cedar decking. Looks pretty nice, should last a very long time...and it seems to sit far enough above the water to keep the ducks off
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote