Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
Bigstan

Default Half Moon

Final weekend for the Weirs being open, not sure when it really closes,
but I assume it’s soon.

So annual trip to half moon pizza, as we hadn’t gone yet this year.

Now I know why, $30 for four slices, wow.

Decent, not great, went into a warmer and came out a minute later. Meh.

Just an annual trip, will make it again next year, but hopefully Sals takes them out.

Kinda like the shooting gallery at the half moon arcade, where the same targets
havent worked in 30 years, but it stays open. Nostalgia brings us there, but I
am really not sure why as it’s just a few people milking the past.

Time for new blood already, raze it all.

This could be in many threads, I just picked this one, move it or quote it in another if u will. But after 40 years I am done with the weirs.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-15-2018), pondguy (10-15-2018), SAMIAM (10-15-2018), Winni-Retired (10-17-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
lakelove

We love the old time feel of the past. I don’t want any change~ that’s what people come for. It’s been that way for years, no change necessary.

Living The Lake Life !!!
lakelove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lakelove For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelove View Post
We love the old time feel of the past. I don’t want any change~ that’s what people come for. It’s been that way for years, no change necessary.

Living The Lake Life !!!
That's why it's dying. If you don't change eventually you will fall behind.
I usually make the trip to weirs once or twice a season with my grandkids and I always leave thinking, why do I even come here anymore?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I do go once in a while to bring the kids to the arcade once a season since its so close to the house and I do enjoy the new BBQ place on the pier (Angry Hog), Sal's Pizza and Surfside Burger for quick meals after a day on the boat. But as discussed here many times serious changes need to be made to attract more people to the area.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Jeanzb1

We live year-round close to The Weirs and I can truthfully say I would like to see a total makeover. Leave the iconic Weirs sign out of respect for history, but I would love to see the rest torn down and rebuilt into attractive business space for restaurants and shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (10-27-2018), Biggd (10-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelove View Post

Living The Lake Life !!!
That's like a failing restaurant saying they don't want to change anything so as not to lose the customers they have left. Which ignores the fact that something is wrong and if you don't change you're done.

Put another way - if that is what people come for then where are the people ?
There were ~ 20 people there in total Saturday afternoon.

At the beginning of the year I brought my nephew there to show him where I used to hang out when I was his age. He looked at me and said in all seriousness "I feel bad for you".....
Old 10-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Spider Girl

Default Half Moon

I agree. Nostalgia is fine, and it can be done well. Overpriced, mediocre food, broken games, and dingey/dirty facilities don't cut it. No business survives the test of time without some investment and upgrade. And no business can make it if it doesn't do something to attract new customers (and keep its old, faithful ones). It's not hard, but it takes commitment.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
iw8surf

30$ for 4 slices of pizza? Really?
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
I think your price might be incorrect. I can't be 7.50 per slice. Maybe $30.00 for the whole pie or did you order anything else, but still expensive.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #10
Bigstan

Default Not incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I think your price might be incorrect. I can't be 7.50 per slice. Maybe $30.00 for the whole pie or did you order anything else, but still expensive.
I am 100% correct. $6.95 a slice I believe for a super-combo slice. + Tax is $15 and change for two slices. x2 is $30

Meat lovers and chicken/broccoli slices in this case. There were multiple whole bacon strips on meat lovers slice, which made me get it. Not bad tasting, but yes 4 slices was $30+

It's beyond insane. Yelp reviews complain the same pricing and 1 star reviews are all they have. I don't remember it being this way in the past, I guess this is an example of juicing the customers you still have.

If you like you can go try for yourself, if you like bacon you may walk away a winner...
Old 10-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #11
joey2665

Quote:
I am 100% correct. $6.95 a slice I believe for a super-combo slice. + Tax is $15 and change for two slices. x2 is $30

Meat lovers and chicken/broccoli slices in this case. There were multiple whole bacon strips on meat lovers slice, which made me get it. Not bad tasting, but yes 4 slices was $30+

It's beyond insane. Yelp reviews complain the same pricing and 1 star reviews are all they have. I don't remember it being this way in the past, I guess this is an example of juicing the customers you still have.

If you like you can go try for yourself, if you like bacon you may walk away a winner...
No thank you I will pass. Sorry for the question. I now understand because they are not just regular plain slices. Still a lot of money and I generally do not eat pizza often in the area as most of it is just not that good with a few exceptions.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
Mr. V

Artisan pizzas of comparable size cost even more in many places.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:20 AM   #13
GBGX2

Default Will the menu clear this up?

Half Moon Pizza Stand Website!

http://weirsbeach.com/the-half-moon/...n-pizza-stand/
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #14
Bigstan

It would have, but it's out of date. Add $1 to everything.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
funny, the website has a giant size phone number then right below "no phone orders"
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #16
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
We live year-round close to The Weirs and I can truthfully say I would like to see a total makeover. Leave the iconic Weirs sign out of respect for history, but I would love to see the rest torn down and rebuilt into attractive business space for restaurants and shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Weirs has so much potential. You have the docks, beach, the Mt. Washington cruise boats and scenic train already in place. If the local business owners would sell their dilapidated business at a fair price and if the town of Laconia would give a decent tax break and work with developers, I am sure investors such as Alex Ray and Rusty McLear could rebuild the Weirs and make it a destination again. Look what Rusty and Alex did in the old mill town of Meredith. Getting Flightcraft in and improving the sidewalks was a good first step but you need to keep going.
Biggd (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
Outdoorsman

In the OP you state you will be back and further down you say you will not

Quote:
Final weekend for the Weirs being open, not sure when it really closes,
but I assume it’s soon.

So annual trip to half moon pizza, as we hadn’t gone yet this year.

Decent, not great, went into a warmer and came out a minute later. Meh.

Just an annual trip, will make it again next year,
but hopefully Sals takes them out.

Kinda like the shooting gallery at the half moon arcade, where the same targets
havent worked in 30 years, but it stays open. Nostalgia brings us there, but I
am really not sure why as it’s just a few people milking the past..

Time for new blood already, raze it all.

This could be in many threads, I just picked this one, move it or quote it in another if u will. But after 40 years I am done with the weirs.

In the OP you stated you had not been there yet this year, a few posts later you state that you have....

Quote:
At the beginning of the year I brought my nephew there to show him where I used to hang out when I was his age.
I suppose it is good for a controversial topic.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #18
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
In the OP you state you will be back and further down you say you will not

In the OP you stated you had not been there yet this year, a few posts later you state that you have....

I suppose it is good for a controversial topic.

I should define 'we'. Myself and my nephew was 'we' at the beginning of the season. He is not allowed to eat 'junk food', so no pizza.

'We' became the whole family together at the end of the season, as we had not yet gone as a group. Hope that helps.

And PS: I/we will go again next year. But now the reason is to gawk at the decay, not because it's a viable destination spot.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #19
Bigstan

And its not truly controversial, it's just $7+ slices that are a rip-off, in an area that should be torn down. Show me someone who feels that the area should stay as it is for 20 more years please, then I may beg off on my thinking.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:27 AM   #20
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Sal's charges $7 for a meat lovers slice. Is the Half Moon slice 1/8th or 1/4?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #21
gravy boat

Default Weirs facelift

I agree that the Weirs needs a facelift but why does it need to be razed and totally redeveloped? Upgrade the building fronts a bit, fix the broken machines, add some newer ones, upgrade the quality of food sold and that takes care of a lot. The pier was upgraded and it still looks pretty much the same.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:51 AM   #22
iw8surf

Quote:
And its not truly controversial, it's just $7+ slices that are a rip-off, in an area that should be torn down. Show me someone who feels that the area should stay as it is for 20 more years please, then I may beg off on my thinking.
The only people who want it to stay how it was is people who knew it when it was nice. The younger folks don't care for how it was "back in the day" simply because we have no idea what it was like. We only know what it is now, a dump.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-17-2018), jbolty (10-17-2018), joey2665 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #23
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
I agree that the Weirs needs a facelift but why does it need to be razed and totally redeveloped? Upgrade the building fronts a bit, fix the broken machines, add some newer ones, upgrade the quality of food sold and that takes care of a lot. The pier was upgraded and it still looks pretty much the same.

GB
Detail and paint a '73 Impala and you still have a '73 Impala.

If you aren't attracting 20-40 yr old people you're doomed. If I was an owner trying to squeeze out a few more years till I retired I wouldn't change either. But if you want long term viability you need to get the younger people there, and they won't make a trip to dusty arcades or to buy $2.50 sunglasses. So IMO the whole main drag has to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Outdoorsman (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #24
Patofnaud

Beg to differ, it does not need to be torn down, but it could use more.

I live 5 months out of the years at Weirs, on most nights from May through Oct it is packed. Most parking spots fill up and folks all over the place. A lot of it thanks to the Mount.

Flightcraft did a ton of work on the Pier, Sal's sells BIG 1/4 pie slices for $7, Angry Hog does awesome BBQ, they ripped up that aged mini golf that was simple gross and put in some off-street parking for employees and a nice little grassy area to eat lunch with umbrellas and tables. The little store is nice and clean.

The city did a nice job submerging the electricity, adding nice lamp posts, fixing the sidewalks. Although those kiosk meters frankly suck, they should have just upgraded the per-site meters IMHO.

The yacht club could use some work, the other side of the street could use some work.

For the most part, the current vendors are ok on that side, but the place really lacks a nice restaurant with a view. Someplace where boaters would go as a destination (think Shipleys at Alton, think Town Docks in Merideth,,,).

Right now we have Weathervane which has no view, and Anthonys on the Pier which has a view but the atmosphere of Browns in Seabrook (picnic tables and seagulls). Neither place is somewhere to just sit for a couple hours, have some nice boat drinks and some food while watching the lake. And both places tend to close way too early on any given night.

Now take for example the top floor of Tower Hill Tavern, give it a nice menu, open up walls for some views, find some parking that does not make you watch your watch like a meth-addicted ferret and we can talk.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #25
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Don't forget the new Compass Cafe behind the Weathervane. The owner put a lot of time and money into the place and it's a sign of progress at the Weirs. Flightcraft did a lot of work on the Pier and has a 5 year plan to upgrade the entire structure. Change comes slowly but it is happening. A year round anchor like the Inn & Conference Center up on Rt. 3 being discussed would really help draw more businesses. The Weirs Beach planning committee has been busy and seems to be moving the area in the right direction.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
billy (10-18-2018), joey2665 (10-17-2018), KennyFromBoston (10-17-2018), KPW (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #26
Patofnaud

Ahh thanks for the Compass cafe reminder, I never got there this year. Will have to replace George's and a boat to breakfast spot.

"Inn & Conference Center up on Rt. 3" it would be great did something like this to bring in year-round. Maybe with that lot next to Cumberlands, instead of just bike week parking.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #27
Mr. V

Ah, it's a "let's reinvent the Weirs" thread.

I'll play.

My question: What, specifically, would be the best way to attract 20-40 year olds to the Weirs?

What could they find there that would be worth seeking out?

Were there more land I'd suggest an amusement park.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #28
Woodsy

if I were to re-invent the Weirs... I would lean more towards an adult themed area. perhaps more like Key West... some really cool bars/restaurants, open containers allowed...

If Dave & Busters can make $$$ with arcade games & beer... so can the Weirs.

Woodsy
Old 10-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #29
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
if I were to re-invent the Weirs... I would lean more towards an adult themed area. perhaps more like Key West... some really cool bars/restaurants, open containers allowed...

Woodsy
You mean so you can't walk down the streets in the morning unless it is cleaned up?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #30
Woodsy

Default ????

Why would you not be able to walk down lakeside Ave in the morning? It is a small area and easy to keep clean.

It was cleaned up after Biketemberfest...

Woodsy
Old 10-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #31
tis

In Key West you can't walk down the street in the morning until it is cleaned up. Not Weirs.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #32
Woodsy

I don't see a problem if the Weirs is cleaned up @ 5-6am same as Key West. Especially where in the Weirs the businesses are prettty much all on the same side of the street.

Woodsy
Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #33
joey2665

Quote:
I don't see a problem if the Weirs is cleaned up @ 5-6am same as Key West. Especially where in the Weirs the businesses are prettty much all on the same side of the street.

Woodsy
Sanitation currently does come clean up the Weirs at 5am everyday in season so not much of a stretch
Old 10-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #34
tis

I would hate to see Weirs become Key West north.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #35
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I would hate to see Weirs become Key West north.
Key West is a clean , family friendly during the daytime ,adult friendly at night safe and fun place to visit. Have you watched the sun go down at Mallory Square, watched the very talented street performers , stayed in the world class hotels , ate at the fabulous restaurants ?
The weirs doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Bigstan (10-19-2018), LoveLakeLife (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #36
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Key West is a clean , family friendly during the daytime ,adult friendly at night safe and fun place to visit. Have you watched the sun go down at Mallory Square, watched the very talented street performers , stayed in the world class hotels , ate at the fabulous restaurants ?
The weirs doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence
That's really not a fair comparison. If all those businesses in Key West could only operate for a few summer months most of them couldn't survive and the huge investments like they made at Mallory Square probably wouldn't have happened.

They also dock cruise ships at Mallory Square almost every day. 3000 or more cruise ship passengers come off each of those ships every day year-round and spend tons of money in Key West. If that kind of revenue flowed into Weirs Beach every day it would certainly look a lot different.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (10-20-2018), KPW (10-19-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #37
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:

Woodsy
Please let me know when they schedule the "Weirs Beach Fantasy Fest". If they model it after the Fantasy Fest in Key West it would attract a lot of visitors and money to the area (and be VERY interesting)
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #38
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

There is a lot that can be done to the weirs to attract more visitors but it starts with the town. They have an awesome location that begs to be revitalized.
They have to make it attractive to investors by creating a redevelopment zone that will offer tax breaks and low financing.
They have to move away from protecting the old and embracing the new. Until that happens nothing will change.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-21-2018), moose tracks (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #39
Patofnaud

"They have to move away from protecting the old and embracing the new."

Or do both. I understand the history of the Victorian buildings and the commit to the vets, but I do not understand why it is not embraced and used for more than just housing. Tours? Period events? History lessons? While maintaining history. To most outsiders, they are just a lot of pretty purple/ping/green buildings.

Lake George, Fort William Henry has history too, but they capitalize on it and its an anchor drawn point for tourists.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #40
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Apparently, the Vet's camps used to be quite colorful, and beautiful architectural examples. Some were not maintained and pavilions, dance floors etc were all razed and in the 50's the remaining buildings were all painted drab gray using war surplus paint. Been drab ever since. I agree that this could be an honorarium to Vets and an attraction to the public if redeveloped properly. Really need to expand the concept of the Weir so that we don't think of it as just 500 yards on one side of one street. A funicular going up the hill right by the Vet's HQ would open up a huge area to pedestrians that right now is mostly inaccessible. The question is what sort of incentive would it take for the current owners who seem to be making money, to re-direct their business plan? Maybe it isn't the job of the City to do this, but it is their job to provide a business friendly environment that will generate tax revenues, IMHO.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote