Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Seaplane Pilot

Default State Symbol Suggestions for the Gov.

I heard a news story this week that our esteemed Gov. is upset that NH does not have a true "symbol" that people associate with the State. He noted that Maine has the "Lobster" and Vermont has the "Cow", but poor NH has nothing.

(as a side note: I wonder with all of the turmoil in Concord - budget problems, FRM scandal, Liquor Commission scandal, why Gov. is spending his time worrying about a symbol?)

Anyway, I think it's time we send the Gov. some suggestions for symbols that represent NH. I have a couple of my own, feel free to post yours:

1) Just use the map of Massachusetts - I think this represents NH perfectly now. Perhaps also the lake chart manufacturers can now change the shape of Winnipesaukee to the shape of Massachusetts. It would fit perfectly!

2) A baby bottle and diaper - we are now the ideal nanny state.

3) An umbilical cord - same as # 2: the infant needs someone to plug the cord into.

4) A kayak or blowboat - reasons that need no explanation.

I also have a slogan he can use to promote the tourism that NH relies so much upon: "Come to NH - the NO FUN state"
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Eagle

Here's another idea. Since the State now owns 250 feet of everyone's property along all public water, the should put signs along all the shorelines that say: "If you land here, you are trespassing on State property. Please buy a permit from the State if you intend to leave footprints".
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Doesn't New Hampshire have the Old Man of the Mountain for a state icon. Every state highway route sign has the Old Man's profile designed into the sign, and there's got to be hundreds of these state route signs all over. According to the info displyed at Profile Lake in Franconia Notch State Park, the Old Man was here for 12003 years, from 10,000 B.C. to May 3, 2003.

Without a doubt, the Old Man icon suffered a very serious loss in promotability as a state icon when it fell off the cliff and got shattered to many small pieces. However, while the Old Man is seemingly lost, and becoming forgotten, it is definately not too late to rehabiltate the Old Man as a business promoting, tourist attracting state image, that would be good-to-go for many more years ahead.

Here's the plan. It is very simple. The people of the State of New Hampshire should install a reproduction, facsimilee Old Man, built of aluminum and fiberglass, and bolt it back up top the Cannon Cliff. It does not have to be anything fancy, just something that is plain, simple, cheap to build, paid with statewide small contributions, and for an extra nice touch, an Old Man integral light show and sound system could easily be included.

Listening to assorted goldy oldie hits like Frank Sinatra, Peter,Paul & Mary, Led Zeppellin & others along with their appropriate light show could do good things for Franconia Notch, the North Country, and New Hampshire, over-all!

How difficult a construction project could it be? Just build the Old Man and hoist it up to it's original spot with a helicopter, and people will come to see it. It worked for 12003 years, and should be restored with a prosthetic Old Man. When a soldier gets his nose blown off in battle, he doesn't spend the rest of his life walking around with a hole in the middle of his face....he gets the best prosthetic nose he can get. So, what's the differance..... the state gets the Old Man lost to pieces, it should get a new one built. It wasn't all-natural for the last hundred years of its existance, so replacing it 100% would be ok.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Alton Bay

Here's the news article about NH.
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9FHH6S00.htm
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default The Great Stone face.

I always consider the Old Man as our symbol of stalwart freedom. No more.
Ever since the Old Man's passing, the state is more and more into a crazy turmoil. Out of control budget in a time when there is less revenue. If there is no money, reduce spending! Instead the legislature is adding and or increasing fees everywhere. Can you bleed a dead horse????

The new icon will be 'Cartman' of South Park.
The new motto will be 'Your pulling my chain!'

Live with a nanny and die broke.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Misty Blue

Default What happened to the old man?

The Old Man of the Moutain did not fall off. He simply took a look at Concord and JUMPED!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (05-11-2010), BroadHopper (05-09-2010), Eagle (05-09-2010), jmen24 (05-10-2010), Pineedles (05-09-2010), tis (05-09-2010), trfour (05-09-2010), wifi (05-09-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Good one,Misty
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

What are you folks talking about. The Old Man is still there. He is just looking the other way....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Zeke

He’s just hiding, also changed his name, to Cliff.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeke For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (05-09-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Argie's Wife

Although I agree that it's not great timing on the part of our governor to pick a new state symbol, I disagree that NH has turned into such as bad place to live.

Political views aside, we have a beautiful state with mountains, beaches, lakes, and forests. People are still moving here from other states because we have low crime rates, affordable housing in many areas, and there's still jobs available (depending on the industry, of course, but hey, when you have bills to pay... you do what you have to do...)

I'm proud to live here. I love my little town - quirks and all. That's just life in rural NH. Exploring new communities (road trips!) is something I love to do... We have a great state - take time to appreciate it and enjoy it. And if you don't like the political climate, I hope you're doing something to change it, even if it's just calling or emailing your local representatives with your concerns.

Some things to consider:
NH voted first on the Declaration of Independence
The Treaty of Portsmouth - ending the Russo-Japanese War in 1905
NH was home to Robert Frost, John Irving, John Stark, Christa McAliffe, Franklin Pierce, Alan Shepard, Henry Wilson, and others...
NH was the first state to have its own state constitution
There's no sales tax or state income tax
Overall, New Hampshire remains ranked 49th among states in combined average state and local tax burden
NH is first in the primary election
NH is linked to the Appalachian Trail

... and there's more... (of course!)

And we have the most beautiful and fragrant state flower - the lilac - which is blooming now... I'm off to enjoy my day.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (05-10-2010), Long Pine (05-10-2010), Lucky1 (05-12-2010), Misty Blue (05-12-2010), Natt (05-11-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (05-09-2010), RI Swamp Yankee (05-09-2010), SteveA (05-09-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
And if you don't like the political climate, I hope you're doing something to change it, even if it's just calling or emailing your local representatives with your concerns.
Oh, I've tried doing something to change it but I found that writing or emailing to a representative is mostly a futile effort. You'd be very lucky if you ever got the courtesy of a reply from any of them.

November is coming.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Loony Singer

Default thanks to Argie's Wife

Thanks to Argie's Wife for sharing such positive thoughts and (I hope) changing the tone of this thread for the better. Without diving into the never-ending political debate, NH isn't perfect...but it's got a whole lot going for it compared to many, many other places to live.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loony Singer For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (05-10-2010), Jonas Pilot (05-09-2010), Natt (05-11-2010), SteveA (05-09-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
Shore Driver

Clearly the people complaining about NH taxes, big gov't, etc are not from CT...
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Yankee

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Doesn't New Hampshire have the Old Man of the Mountain for a state icon. Every state highway route sign has the Old Man's profile designed into the sign, and there's got to be hundreds of these state route signs all over. According to the info displyed at Profile Lake in Franconia Notch State Park, the Old Man was here for 12003 years, from 10,000 B.C. to May 3, 2003.

Without a doubt, the Old Man icon suffered a very serious loss in promotability as a state icon when it fell off the cliff and got shattered to many small pieces. However, while the Old Man is seemingly lost, and becoming forgotten, it is definately not too late to rehabiltate the Old Man as a business promoting, tourist attracting state image, that would be good-to-go for many more years ahead.

Here's the plan. It is very simple. The people of the State of New Hampshire should install a reproduction, facsimilee Old Man, built of aluminum and fiberglass, and bolt it back up top the Cannon Cliff. It does not have to be anything fancy, just something that is plain, simple, cheap to build, paid with statewide small contributions, and for an extra nice touch, an Old Man integral light show and sound system could easily be included.

Listening to assorted goldy oldie hits like Frank Sinatra, Peter,Paul & Mary, Led Zeppellin & others along with their appropriate light show could do good things for Franconia Notch, the North Country, and New Hampshire, over-all!

How difficult a construction project could it be? Just build the Old Man and hoist it up to it's original spot with a helicopter, and people will come to see it. It worked for 12003 years, and should be restored with a prosthetic Old Man. When a soldier gets his nose blown off in battle, he doesn't spend the rest of his life walking around with a hole in the middle of his face....he gets the best prosthetic nose he can get. So, what's the differance..... the state gets the Old Man lost to pieces, it should get a new one built. It wasn't all-natural for the last hundred years of its existance, so replacing it 100% would be ok.
This is the most fatuous post that you have ever made...and you have made many.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yankee For This Useful Post:
mcdude (05-13-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony Singer View Post
Thanks to Argie's Wife for sharing such positive thoughts and (I hope) changing the tone of this thread for the better. Without diving into the never-ending political debate, NH isn't perfect...but it's got a whole lot going for it compared to many, many other places to live.
Good point - exactly why we want to keep it the way it was not so long ago. We have one chance in November to make the changes in Concord, otherwise you can kiss the quality of life goodbye.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #16
Argie's Wife

I've lived in many states - Maine, California, Alabama, Tennessee, Indiana, Ohio, Massachusetts, and finally put down roots in New Hampshire. Guess I saved the best for last.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
nj2nh (05-10-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Oh, I've tried doing something to change it but I found that writing or emailing to a representative is mostly a futile effort. You'd be very lucky if you ever got the courtesy of a reply from any of them.

November is coming.

Then RUN... really - run for office.

Make a difference.

Like Nike says, "Just do it."
Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #18
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Doesn't New Hampshire have the Old Man of the Mountain for a state icon. .....
I always thought so, but when I saw the story a few days ago I wondered what I was missing.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
This'nThat

Default Holy cow, Batman -- Vermont has the cow???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I heard a news story this week that our esteemed Gov. is upset that NH does not have a true "symbol" that people associate with the State. He noted that Maine has the "Lobster" and Vermont has the "Cow", but poor NH has nothing.
Of course NH has no true "symbol" -- those sneaky people from Vermont ran off with the cow! Probably was done in the middle of the night, too, when our backs were turned and we weren't looking.

And how come we just now noticed? We've had lots of Governors in this state, but it took till just now to notice the cow was missing? Well, I'll have to admit -- I didn't know it was gone either, and I'm usually a pretty observant guy. But heck, I thought the others were watching over it, and so I wasn't paying very close attention and missed all the shenaigans.

We really messed up big-time on that one. NH would have been proud to be known as "Cow Hampshire", I'll bet -- if we had only been given a chance. But it's no use now. I'm not sure I even want the cow back -- it's probably been transformed, or taxed to death or something in Vermont. No good to us any more.

But now I'm pinning my hopes on our great Govn'er and super state legislature. Given all the mental power represented by those great individuals, I'm thinking they're going to come up with something we can be right proud of, I'll bet. And it's gonna probably stun the nation, our symbol-to-be. I just hope no resource is spared in the search for, approval of, and roll-out of the Great New Hampshire Symbol We've All Been Missing These Many Years.

Go for it, Guv -- you've got our ever-grateful backing on this. I just hope it's better than some stupid cow or something.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #20
ITD

I'm thinking a speed limit sign...........
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
Tired of Waiting

Wink Not to far off

[QUOTE=This'nThat;126722]Of course NH has no true "symbol" -- those sneaky people from Vermont ran off with the cow! Probably was done in the middle of the night, too, when our backs were turned and we weren't looking.

QUOTE]

T&T

Well that's cause Vermont was pro-active on the employement side of things.

Just where do you think Ben & Jerry get the milk from to make their ice cream? Think of all the jobs they made by sneaking the cow a little west.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #22
Shore Driver

What about the Loon?
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Loon

We have tooo many loonatics in the state house!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #24
angela4design

While we're at it, let's change the state bird to the mosquito or the black fly!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angela4design For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-10-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #25
nj2nh

Default Symbol Suggestions

I am from Jersey but long to live in NH. I, too, thought the Old Man was the state symbol. Who knew?

The loon is a good idea. How about a moose (the mythical creature that many of you have claimed to see, but I doubt truly exists since I have never seen one in my nearly 50 years) or, perhaps, a llama?? Isn't there a llama farm in south NH somewhere?

nj2nh
Old 05-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
While we're at it, let's change the state bird to the mosquito or the black fly!
Since these are both blood-sucking insects that serve only to take your life-blood to create more useless, blood-sucking off-spring, I think we can use a symbolic artifact representing both of them: The State Legislature.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
Eagle (05-10-2010), Ropetow (05-12-2010), Seaplane Pilot (05-10-2010), wifi (05-10-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #27
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down

These blood-sucking insects in Concord are about to vote on a bill on Wednesday to allow local cities and towns to set their own rooms and meals tax rates. These are the same blood-suckers that voted against allowing citizens to vote in tax caps. So their position is that citizens should not be allowed to vote to cap taxes, but local Government can be allowed to set their own rooms and meals tax rates. I can see these towns around the lake frothing at the mouth already, just thinking of all the extra revenue. Talk about a measure that will deal the final death blow to the hospitality industry, this is it for sure.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #28
wifi

Quote:
These blood-sucking insects in Concord are about to vote on a bill on Wednesday to allow local cities and towns to set their own rooms and meals tax rates. These are the same blood-suckers that voted against allowing citizens to vote in tax caps. So their position is that citizens should not be allowed to vote to cap taxes, but local Government can be allowed to set their own rooms and meals tax rates. I can see these towns around the lake frothing at the mouth already, just thinking of all the extra revenue. Talk about a measure that will deal the final death blow to the hospitality industry, this is it for sure.
There is some theory that says that after a point there is diminishing returns in raising taxes. We have reached that point in both the current State and Federal administrations.

Last edited by wifi; 05-10-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: grammar
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
tis (05-11-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #29
rrr

Default I saw my first moose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
I am from Jersey but long to live in NH. I, too, thought the Old Man was the state symbol. Who knew?

The loon is a good idea. How about a moose (the mythical creature that many of you have claimed to see, but I doubt truly exists since I have never seen one in my nearly 50 years) or, perhaps, a llama?? Isn't there a llama farm in south NH somewhere?

nj2nh

nj2nh -

I was with you - until Sunday, when I saw my first moose! Around 11 a.m. I was driving up Ledge Hill Road in Tuftonboro between 109A and 171, she just sauntered across the road in front of me. Boy - and I thought my legs are long... I'm a believer now!
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #30
LakeSnake

abcdefghij

Last edited by LakeSnake; 06-15-2010 at 11:56 AM.
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #31
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Between a rock and a hard place

Quote:
Can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting one of these. Seems pretty NH-ish to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post:
Dave R (05-16-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #32
Gearhead

Pickup Truck. I've never seen so many in one place in my life.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #33
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Pickup Truck. I've never seen so many in one place in my life.

Texans drive 10% of the nation's pickups and 27% of the vehicles registered in the state are pickups.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #34
Eagle

How about the bedbug? There seems to be more and more of them being brought into our State.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #35
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs up Good Editorial

There is an excellent guest editorial in this week's Weirs Times by Tom Thompson. It addresses the same issues about Concord brought forth on this thread. Editorial begins on page 7 - right hand side:

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1nq...m?referrerUrl=

Time to wake up and take action in November.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-12-2010)
Old 05-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #36
LakeSnake

abcdefghij

Last edited by LakeSnake; 06-15-2010 at 11:56 AM.
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #37
John A. Birdsall

Default symbol of NH

I have seen what I think should be the symbol of NH for over 63 years, it has changed a couple of times in that period. Added a deck over the bow, added 25' to its length, and just now for the second time have replaced its purpulsion power. (forget the spelling pls.) I think the Mount Washington should be the symbol of NH.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #38
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
I have seen what I think should be the symbol of NH for over 63 years, it has changed a couple of times in that period. Added a deck over the bow, added 25' to its length, and just now for the second time have replaced its purpulsion power. (forget the spelling pls.) I think the Mount Washington should be the symbol of NH.
I agree John!
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #39
Misty Blue

Default Was gonna make a joke but...

Ya know John, I think that you are on the right track. Think about this.

Artists please help! Here's the idea.

A simbol of the Mount Washington plying our state's largest lake with Mt. Washington in the background?

I know that we all have a special attachment to the Lake but I think that such a symbol would represent the best of our New Hampshire and please most.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #40
fatlazyless

What's the United States' most well known symbol? It's the Statue of Liberty which was built in France from 1876 to 1886, and shipped across the Atlantic to New York Harbor.

So, what's wrong with building an Old Man of the Mountain and installing it onto its' old spot high up top of Cannon Cliff? If the US can successfully have a statue then why can't NH have a designer built Old Man?

Picture this: An Old Man designed with a powerfull sound system and eyes that light up, all wired up to a 20-dollar, play-a-song selector down next to Profile Lake. For twenty bucks, a tourist visiter could chose from 100's different songs and amp up the volume for miles around with Frank Sinatra doing "Strangers in the Night...dooby...dooby...doo" while the Old Man's eyes goes brite blue and roll around, up top the cliff.

Picture that! That would put New Hampshire back on the tourist map!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #41
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
Ya know John, I think that you are on the right track. Think about this.

Artists please help! Here's the idea.

A simbol of the Mount Washington plying our state's largest lake with Mt. Washington in the background?

I know that we all have a special attachment to the Lake but I think that such a symbol would represent the best of our New Hampshire and please most.

Misty Blue
If you're looking for a NH artist, I think Peter Ferber would be the man for the job.

...and FLL... To me, the cool thing about the Old Man was that it was natural and not manmade. You complain about waste in Concord and in your local towns but in my opinion we have many more attractions, features, blessings... Whatever you wanna call em to celebrate than a rock formation that fell down.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #42
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Love the Mount Washingtons Idea!

John, that's a fantastic idea!!! It seems so obvious now that you've said it.

fatlazyless, do you actually know when you are posting a bad idea or do you just enjoy trying to get a rise out of us?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #43
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
fatlazyless, do you actually know when you are posting a bad idea or do you just enjoy trying to get a rise out of us?
My guess is the latter. I believe FLL has our number and just loves to read the reactions to his posts.

On to the symbol topic. My feeling is that the Old Man is gone and that name has been retired. If we put up a new one, at what point does the New Man become an Old Man.

The Mount Washington is a good idea, but so many people in the state cannot relate to it, I happen to like the idea.

This question really has me thinking. There are so many things that come to mind when I think about what this state means to me, that I am having a really difficult time pulling just one that sums it all up. I will have to come back to this one.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #44
Lakegeezer

Default The "real" Mt. Washington

This question is a tough one. By bias to the region leans towards having the lakes region be the symbol, but that is a slap to the other amazing regions in the state. So, my vote would be for Mount Washington. Not the boat, but the tallest mountain in the northeast. Here’s the thinking…. The state has seacoast, lakes and mountains, suggesting an outdoor theme should be the symbol. The old man was a great symbol, given we are called the granite state and all, but it is gone. The idea of the MS Mount Washington is interesting, but a commercial venture may not be the best and again, ignores the rest of the state. From the top of Mount Washington, you can see the lakes region and the seacoast. You can see it from many points in the state. It is made of granite. It comes with a regional “mine is bigger than yours” claim and it won’t fall down or sink.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #45
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Picture this: An Old Man designed with a powerfull sound system and eyes that light up, all wired up to a 20-dollar, play-a-song selector down next to Profile Lake. For twenty bucks, a tourist visiter could chose from 100's different songs and amp up the volume for miles around with Frank Sinatra doing "Strangers in the Night...dooby...dooby...doo" while the Old Man's eyes goes brite blue and roll around, up top the cliff.

Picture that! That would put New Hampshire back on the tourist map!
Where is the "groan" button when you need it?

FLL, you have WAY too much free time on your hands.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #46
alsadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Texans drive 10% of the nation's pickups and 27% of the vehicles registered in the state are pickups.
I apologize for veering off topic, but this reminds me of an old joke. A Texas rancher was vacationing in New Hampshire. Out for a drive one day, he sees a local farmer repairing a fence by the side of the road so he stops to chat. "How much land have you got here?" asked the Texan. "Oh, about 100 acres," replied the farmer. "100 acres??" scoffed the Texan, "It takes me all day to drive my pickup truck from one end of my spread to the other." The NH farmer replied, "Yeah, I had a truck like that once, myself."
alsadad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alsadad For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (05-13-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (05-15-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #47
fatlazyless

Is the Statue of Liberty a natural formation? It's obviously a designer artistic recreation of "lady liberty" and sits on a land-filled island, so there's noth'n natural about it, but it's the US's single most well-known iconic symbol.

In 1923, the Franconia Notch State Park was created and purchased with thousands of small donations from New Hampshire school children who wanted to save the notch from the federal government because the area's Old Man, Cannon Cliff, Profile Lake and surrounds were too special to the state to let it be part of the recently created 1922 White Mt National Forest. Building an Old Man look-alike creation and putt'n it back on its' cliff-hanger spot would go a long way to honor the Old Man's history.

Wiring it up with lights and sound would be a good tourist hook. Picture this: slide a sawbuck into the slot, push A-1, and you get 45,000 watts of Aretha sing'n "R-E-S-P-E-C-T is all I want for me!" powering through the Mts Lafayette-Cannon high cliff notch area, a natural sound studio! You all need to be a little creative here, and just lighten up with your old stodgy ideas about the Old Man.

Just like the Statue of Liberty is very well appreciated, a remade Old Man would be widely accepted as long as it looks totally natural and identical to the original. And, sound & lights would be a nice little extra touch.....don't you think!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #48
SIKSUKR

Lakegeezer and I think alike. The existing symbol was a pile of rocks. Why not the big rockpile. And it won't be falling down any time soon.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #49
Argie's Wife

Quote:
...Picture this: slide a sawbuck into the slot, push A-1, and you get 45,000 watts of Aretha sing'n "R-E-S-P-E-C-T is all I want for me!" powering through the Mts Lafayette-Cannon high cliff notch area, a natural sound studio! You all need to be a little creative here, and just lighten up with your old stodgy ideas about the Old Man.

Just like the Statue of Liberty is very well appreciated, a remade Old Man would be widely accepted as long as it looks totally natural and identical to the original. And, sound & lights would be a nice little extra touch.....don't you think!

...only if you'll dance in a tutu in front of that display....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (05-15-2010), RI Swamp Yankee (05-14-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #50
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down On a more serious note:

The rocket scientists in Concord have done it again - read below. When are we going to wake up and get rid of these people?

NH Passes a Localy Imposed
Sales Tax Last Night
Yes, they STILL have not repealed the LLC Income tax, and yet, it gets worse..................

So here we sit at 11:30pm on a Thursday night at the State House, and history is being made. Unfortunately it’s not the kind of history that makes New Hampshire proud or its residents happy. Tonight the State Senate passed our first ever Locally Imposed Sales Tax, targeted solely against restaurants and lodging operations and their patrons. This is a disastrous move that will pit local community against local community, and negatively affect the recreation and enjoyment of our State.

Despite the roar of ordinary working families, pleading to our legislators to be responsible and cut back our bloated, ever expanding budget to match a lower level of income everyone in the state is experiencing, they have again, attacked our pocket books, our businesses and our way of life.

Just as the attempt to create a Tax on the personal incomes of just LLC small business owners, the legislature has now authorized each and every town and city in the State of NH to impose an unlimited new tax rate against every single person who dines out, stays at a hotel or B&B and even rents a car. This new tax, on top of the 12% increase enacted last year to the Rooms and Meals tax presently in place, will allow any city or town, to enact a new, additional tax, with no limit on the percentage rate.

The travel and Tourism industry in New Hampshire is our largest industry. It employs more than 65,000 people. Unfortunately it is also suffering from one of the largest declines as discretionary income has dried up. 53,000 friends and neighbors unemployed and hundreds or thousands under employed. A night out for dinner or a trip to the beach has gone from a great idea, to a luxury most can’t afford. As seen by the constantly under budget, lower than expected tax revenue from the Restaurant and Lodging industry, the tourism industry is seeing the most difficult times in this State’s history.

The last thing in the world our State should be doing is to encourage each local community to establish and implement a town by town unlimited sales tax. What will be next? A town by town gas tax? A town toll booth? Town by town taxes on phone bills, electric bills and home heating oil? How long will it be before we see a local grocery tax?

The definition of insanity is performing the same task repeatedly and expecting a different result. During the past 4 years we have seen an imposition of new, repeated and higher taxes on virtually every facet of our lives. Concurrently revenue of those same services has declined in every single case, where taxes were increased.

Implementation of this new locally generated tax will not only place an uncompetitive financial burden on individual operators separated by town lines, which in some cases will be inches apart, but will make the cost of each and every meal, room and trip to the beach or ski area, uncontrollably more expensive.

You all know that I have tried so hard to not make our LLC Tax issue about any political party, Its about protecting our small business community and every single person in New Hampshire. But, for the sake of our economic future, when is enough enough? Now, more than ever we need to see a wholesale change in the legislative leadership of New Hampshire. It’s time to remove these legislators whose only answer to our State’s challenges is to raise or create taxes. If you are an ordinary working resident or small business owner, I call on each and every one of you to become active, get involved and restore our traditional New Hampshire values of limited Government and low taxes.

Again, I am not trying to make this a partisan political issue and pit one party against another. That being said, I believe those in control of Concord today do not represent or are trying to protect us as small business owners, ordinary working families and taxpayers.

Again, I apologize for the anger and emotion of this email, but I am just nauseous with anger at this.

If anyone can make it, the New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association and other business trade associations are holding a press conference on Monday morning at 10:00am in the lobby of the Legislative Office Building (the building directly behind the State Capitol) to speak out against this damaging legislation. Please make every effort to be there and show your support.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #51
RailroadJoe

Right on. From now on I will avoid any town or city that adds more tax dollars to my food. I at one time got coffee for 5 cents, now the tax is more than double for one cup.

Some day they will wise up in the house of ill decisions and realize that stop making laws that require more gov't employees (ie the shore land disturbance) and look to reduce the ones we have now.

Just my nickels worth.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #52
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Oh this is just the beginning of a state wide sales tax. This isn't even going out on a limb to see what's going to happen here. Some towns tax, others do not. Towns that tax are going to drive business away to towns that don't tax. Towns that tax, well they tax more, get into an even bigger financial hole, sue the state because they feel as though they are loosing business to the "richer" tax free towns. State supreme court rules that the state needs to be the one to set a state wide sales tax to "level the playing field". Thus we end up with a state wide sales tax court ordered and without the finger prints of any politician.

BTW they will expand this to an all out sales tax because it will be considered unconstitutional to limit this tax to just restaurants and hotel

Don't scoff at this, you know darn well it's not that inconceivable.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #53
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
...only if you'll dance in a tutu in front of that display....

Now THAT is funny.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #54
trfour

Post Not A Bad Call...

Senate Approves Cider As State Drink.

WMUR9, http://www.wmur.com/news/23529249/detail.html

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #55
fatlazyless

By adding a one percent/local town tax to the 9% meals & lodging tax it would make it a nice round and easy-to-figure 10% total tax.

The reason why New Hampshire does not have either a sales or an income or a capital gains tax is because the property taxes are so high. All the non-taxes are built into the property tax.

A mcdouble cheeseburger costs 1.09, so by adding a 1% local town tax, the price would become 1.10, and it would end those left-over pennies.

For the Town of Meredith, a 1% local meals & lodging tax could add up to $100/day or $36,500/year and help to pay for things like summer lifeguards at the lake and related safety equipment.

It's only one extra little penny which otherwise would probably end up lost and rolling around under your car seat.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #56
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
By adding a one percent/local town tax to the 9% meals & lodging tax it would make it a nice round and easy-to-figure 10% total tax.

The reason why New Hampshire does not have either a sales or an income or a capital gains tax is because the property taxes are so high. All the non-taxes are built into the property tax.

A mcdouble cheeseburger costs 1.09, so by adding a 1% local town tax, the price would become 1.10, and it would end those left-over pennies.

For the Town of Meredith, a 1% local meals & lodging tax could add up to $100/day or $36,500/year and help to pay for things like summer lifeguards at the lake and related safety equipment.

It's only one extra little penny which otherwise would probably end up lost and rolling around under your car seat.
Less, do you really think an increase in all of these other taxes will result in a reduction in property taxes? If so, please contact me - I have some swamp land in the Everglades I'd like to sell.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #57
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I love this mindset, it's just another penny or two tax per person what's the big deal? Why is the same not true when CUTTING taxes, but give a penny or two back to the tax payers and there will be starving children in the streets, police and firemen will loose their jobs, the world as we all know it will come to an end. Hmmm...... please give us all a break here the state is swimming in money they are just to incompetent to manage and spend it wisely. Throwing more money at the problem just perpetuates this further and is no solution.

BTW any town that decides to enact a tax I will go out of my way to not only NOT patronize those businesses, but make sure that everyone else that I know is aware of the tax so they can make up their own mind as well. No sweat off my back to avoid a "tax" town I'm sure that others will do the same. Careful what you wish for it has consequences.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (05-17-2010), Seaplane Pilot (05-16-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #58
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
On to the symbol topic. My feeling is that the Old Man is gone and that name has been retired. If we put up a new one, at what point does the New Man become an Old Man.
I've lived in this state my entire life. May 3, 2003 is a day I will always remember as the day that I lost a dear friend.

I am relieved that the expense of engineering and fabricating a replacement Old Man is prohibitive. Just as things can go from good to bad in an eye's blinking moment, an icon can be reduced to a cartoon if it is the will of men.

To be sure, the spirit of what is symbolized can outlast the symbol itself. If the irascible, flinty, rugged form of individualistic self-reliance that the Old Man stood for since the last Ice Age is a value we believe should be cherished, it should be so.

The Old Man died in a spring avalanche 7 years ago. It's up to us to determine if what he stood for is still relevant.

Quote:
The Mount Washington is a good idea, but so many people in the state cannot relate to it, I happen to like the idea.
I'll commit heresy and suggest that this is not a good statewide symbol - for the very reason you provide.

NH is a state of almost tribal regional loyalties. Folks in the Keene area have little in common with folks in the Lakes. Seacoast-area residents have more connection to Mass. or Maine than their Granite State brethren in the Upper Valley. And so on and so forth.

The notable exception is that we all have some kind of affinity towards the White Mountains. One of the functions of the Old Man was his power to kinda "unBalkanize," making us more of a people with a common heritage - and less a collection of various sub-regions.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #59
fatlazyless

It's only one crummy penny and can make the difference between having lifeguards or no lifeguards. The single penny usually falls out of my pocket and rolls down under the car seat somewhere so what's the big deal?

If the Old Man of the Mountain were still alive, he would step up to the microphone and say: "Ladies & gentlemen, go ahead and hit me with a new 1% prepared food and lodging, local option tax.....I can take it!"

Furthermore, the Old Man would digress a bit and explain how the Town of Meredith has an annual total spending budget of about 11 1/2 million dollars that gets spent to pay for everything like schools, police, town employees, roads, parks, everything. And how the selectmen have recently decided to cut the summer lifeguard budget from about $22,500 down to $2,500 to save some money.

So, paying that extra penny for any item on the Dollar Menu would help the town with having lifeguards at Lake Waukewan and Leavitt Beach-Winnipesaukee. Something that we can all feel good about!

In closing, the Old Man would say; "Don't be a cheapie, one extra penny is nothing to get all excited about, and the local town option 1% meals tax is definately the way to go!"
Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #60
SIKSUKR

Default It's only a few pennies

If its only a penny it would appear that FLL would be happy for mine as well as your penny also.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #61
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordCentury View Post
I've lived in this state my entire life. May 3, 2003 is a day I will always remember as the day that I lost a dear friend.
I feel the same way.I've driven past the Old Man close to 2000 times in my trek to my Cannon Mt ski house.I was in Tortola when he fell and saw it on the CNN.My heart sank
Quote:
The Old Man died in a spring avalanche 7 years ago.
If your refering to a snow avalanche that was not the case.There is no way any snow can avalance to where the Old Man was.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #62
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post

If your refering to a snow avalanche that was not the case.There is no way any snow can avalance to where the Old Man was.
The night before, there was a torrential downpour after an extended dry spell - ripe conditions for an avalanche, or rock slide.

As to whether he would or would not be in favor of a small municipal meals and lodging tax, Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote a short story about a bunch of presumptuous folks that claimed to be the intellectual brethren of the Old Stone Face. All were proven impostors.

But I suppose one of the beauties of the Old Man is that it inspired people to project their own values onto him as a way of seeking the validation of some higher authority.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #63
fatlazyless

Supposedly, there was a minor earthquake centered in upstate New York that shook the Old Man loose from its' perch.

For many years, it was a regular editorial device for NH newpapers to include the Old Man expressing all styles of emotion with regard to state-wide NH political happenings.

Lost but not forgotten: $24.95 at the state liquor store still buys a one quart Old Man stylized green bottle of Jenkin's NH-made rye whiskey!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #64
CrawfordCentury

Cool

Quote:

Lost but not forgotten: $24.95 at the state liquor store still buys a one quart Old Man stylized green bottle of Jenkin's NH-made rye whiskey!

For the teatoatlers, and at a savings of about 8 bucks, there's always the Old Man bobblehead. It can proudly take its place alongside the Hannah Dustin bobblehead!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #65
SIKSUKR

From Wikipedia:

Defying attempts at preservation, including the use of cables and spikes for most of the 20th century, the formation collapsed to the ground between midnight and 2 a.m., May 3, 2003.[2] Centuries of wind, snow, and rain, as well as freezing and thawing cycles, finally caught up with the profile.

From Mike Pelchat park ranger who worked on the Old Man:
"There's only so much you can do," said Mike Pelchat, a state parks official who hiked up the mountain Saturday to make sure there were no signs of foul play.

"With heavy rains and high winds and freezing temperatures, the combination was just right to loosen him up," he said. "We always thought it was the hand of God holding him up, and he let go."

I live right next door to the old man 6 months a year for 30 years. There was never any speculation of any kind of rock slide or avalanche that brought the Old Man down. It has been held in place artificially for decades and the forces of freeze/thaw and natural erosion finally took over. There certainly was a rock slide but that was the profile itself falling.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #66
John A. Birdsall

Default old man in mtn

If you must know, FLL wants the old man back up in place because he and the old man are one in the same....now that I said that I thought that they were building a fiberglass model of the ole man and were going to put it in place of the old. I alos believe that I made a small contribution to doing just that.

While I think the old man should be rebuilt I also like the Mount Washington (vessel) with the Mt. Washington in the background. I think at least everyone in New England could relate to that, (if not they need to get off the sofa and see New England)

Did you know that Robert B. Woods was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for manning a gun on the USS Mount Washington, I think that was during the civil war.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #67
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
From Wikipedia:

Defying attempts at preservation, including the use of cables and spikes for most of the 20th century, the formation collapsed to the ground between midnight and 2 a.m., May 3, 2003.[2] Centuries of wind, snow, and rain, as well as freezing and thawing cycles, finally caught up with the profile.

From Mike Pelchat park ranger who worked on the Old Man:
"There's only so much you can do," said Mike Pelchat, a state parks official who hiked up the mountain Saturday to make sure there were no signs of foul play.

"With heavy rains and high winds and freezing temperatures, the combination was just right to loosen him up," he said. "We always thought it was the hand of God holding him up, and he let go."

I live right next door to the old man 6 months a year for 30 years. There was never any speculation of any kind of rock slide or avalanche that brought the Old Man down. It has been held in place artificially for decades and the forces of freeze/thaw and natural erosion finally took over. There certainly was a rock slide but that was the profile itself falling.
That's right. The avalanche was the Old Man himself.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #68
Grady223

Default Great Idea!

Why doesn't the State hire an artist to carve the likeness of our President's face in one of the granite cliffs in the White Mountains and we could use that as a replacement to the Old Man in the Mountain as the State Symbol - could place it on every license plate in the State!
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #69
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
Why doesn't the State hire an artist to carve the likeness of our President's face in one of the granite cliffs in the White Mountains and we could use that as a replacement to the Old Man in the Mountain as the State Symbol - could place it on every license plate in the State!
Done. Where to I pick up the check for my commission.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #70
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Done. Where to I pick up the check for my commission.

Good one! I am rolling on the floor laughing.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #71
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
I think the Old Man is already symbolized on the NH Quarter. Now worth about 14¢, of course.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #72
fatlazyless

Interesting article in today's www.bostonglobe.com, top of the front page titled: 'How do you sell a Granite State?' which is similar to comments in this thread plus 129 Boston Globe reader comments, and has NH's tourist promo people wondering where to go with this.

Didn't somebody already recommend rebuilding the Old Man on the cheap with a fiberglass look-a-like completely wired with sound and lights and hoisting it back a-high cannon cliff with a helicopter......how's about a pschydelic Old Man plus an Old Man gambling casino for Franconia Notch State park......oh yeah!!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #73
trfour

Thumbs up [Quote] back a-high cannon cliff...

As we all are a'weirs, Motor Cycle Week is upon us.

Fatlazyless doesn't know about this here, but he is in the running... Like a vespa motor scooter, it allows floor boards for both left and right feet.

Long and since, New Hampshire is more than safe than being sold, in any fashion.

For all of those whom haven't had the opportunity, may I say Welcome!

My heritage goes back to the early days before and during the American Revolution.
We could be in a much better place, if we kept our learning caps on a little longer.

Terry

www.winnipesaukee.com

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #74
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
... Didn't somebody already recommend rebuilding the Old Man on the cheap with a fiberglass look-a-like completely wired with sound and lights and hoisting it back a-high cannon cliff with a helicopter......
NO! ... at least not a creditable source
Old 06-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #75
Scupper

Talking

Now that NH has swayed to the left, how about "Live for Free and Whine?" A fitting image could be a floating disposable diaper off of Weirs Beach.
Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #76
gtxrider

Default you make me laugh!

Quote:

Want sales and income taxes plus gambling and HIGH property taxes come to New Jersey we have it all. Oh and the state is still broke with all the money they take from the poor working slobs.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #77
RailroadJoe

I think people have to stop and think a little. When I was only 25 I could get a coffee and donut for 10 cents. And they would refill the cup free. And that was only 50 years ago. What are you youngsters going to sat when you have to pay $10.. for coffee and another 15 for a doughnut. look at the spending of the state not at the idea of increasing any tax. They will only spend more if we give them more.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote