Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #1
Dad207

Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD
Default The Breeze - Nice Alternative

The good thing about dining in the Lakes Region is that there are good burgers, wings, fries and pizza, The bad things is that what you get in the Lakes region is burgers, fries and pizza. The Breeze is trying, successfully in my view, to bust out of this mold: duck confit, swordfish sandwich, octopus appetizer, 4 soups, cioppino, mussels, and many other seafood-focused things. We've been there three times, and had intersting and well-prepared food. Not cheap food, not plain food, but things with some thought and character. I like pizza, wings and a burger as much as the next guy, but give the octopus a go, and a swordfish on a bao bun with pickled vegs as well. Bring it on--- a nice change of pace, there will always be burgers and chicken sandwich somewhere. Cool cocktails as well.

And the view? I understand the gripe about moving the bar which obstructs the view for diners, but the bar there now is great-- and where better to have that fall Bloody Mary, that winter Irish Coffee, that early summer rose', than sitting at that bar, looking out to the islands and the trees; in winter, the ice? Diners are, and should be, more focused on their dinner companions, and not so much on the view.

This ownership group is trying to bust out of the usual Lakes Region thing. Give them a try, and give them a break, and enjoy something different.
Dad207 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dad207 For This Useful Post:
smith point boater (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 06:06 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad207 View Post
The good thing about dining in the Lakes Region is that there are good burgers, wings, fries and pizza, The bad things is that what you get in the Lakes region is burgers, fries and pizza. The Breeze is trying, successfully in my view, to bust out of this mold: duck confit, swordfish sandwich, octopus appetizer, 4 soups, cioppino, mussels, and many other seafood-focused things. We've been there three times, and had intersting and well-prepared food. Not cheap food, not plain food, but things with some thought and character. I like pizza, wings and a burger as much as the next guy, but give the octopus a go, and a swordfish on a bao bun with pickled vegs as well. Bring it on--- a nice change of pace, there will always be burgers and chicken sandwich somewhere. Cool cocktails as well.

And the view? I understand the gripe about moving the bar which obstructs the view for diners, but the bar there now is great-- and where better to have that fall Bloody Mary, that winter Irish Coffee, that early summer rose', than sitting at that bar, looking out to the islands and the trees; in winter, the ice? Diners are, and should be, more focused on their dinner companions, and not so much on the view.

This ownership group is trying to bust out of the usual Lakes Region thing. Give them a try, and give them a break, and enjoy something different.
Is that food rare on the Gilford side of the lake? Here in Moultonborough, one can drive five minutes for squid ink pappardelle with calamari and octopus, crab and spinach stuffed shrimp, escargot, duck, etc. Osteria Poggio, Lemon Grass, The New Woodshed, the Corner House and, I'm sure, a few other places are all within a few minutes and offer that type of thing.

You make a good point about the bar/table seating and groups, but when my wife and I eat out we like to sit next to each other facing whatever view there is.

We've not tried The Breeze yet as we're not over there often (we're clearly not their targeted demographic in the first place), but I do hope they do well, and it looks like they're off to a pretty good start.

Edited to add: Well, other than this review from our recent "take my vodka and go home" ex-forum-member. It looks like Baygo's been 5-starring restaurants that sell his vodka and 1-starring those that don't. What a jerk, good riddance, and it looks like a good reason to check out The Breeze!

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-25-2022), Crusty (06-27-2022), Irish mist (06-25-2022), Longtimelurker (07-05-2022), Reilly (06-29-2022), smith point boater (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 06:48 AM   #3
Billy Bob

Take Tito’s any time over his local stuff.
Mr Bay has taken this “buy local “ thing we’ll over the read line.
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-25-2022), Reilly (06-29-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #4
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Is that food rare on the Gilford side of the lake? Here in Moultonborough, one can drive five minutes for squid ink pappardelle with calamari and octopus, crab and spinach stuffed shrimp, escargot, duck, etc. Osteria Poggio, Lemon Grass, The New Woodshed, the Corner House and, I'm sure, a few other places are all within a few minutes and offer that type of thing.

You make a good point about the bar/table seating and groups, but when my wife and I eat out we like to sit next to each other facing whatever view there is.

We've not tried The Breeze yet as we're not over there often (we're clearly not their targeted demographic in the first place), but I do hope they do well, and it looks like they're off to a pretty good start.

Edited to add: Well, other than this review from our recent "take my vodka and go home" ex-forum-member. It looks like Baygo's been 5-starring restaurants that sell his vodka and 1-starring those that don't. What a jerk, good riddance, and it looks like a good reason to check out The Breeze!

Thanks for posting this on Baygo. This is outrageous.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:50 AM   #5
baygo

Quote:

Yes I am giving favorable reviews to establishments that serve dancing Rabbit Vodka. You are inaccurate however in your statement that I give one star reviews to establishments that don’t serve it. At this time there’s a small handful of other local establishments that do not serve Dancing Rabbit and you will not find a negative review about them by me. The breeze is the only one star review.

The Google review I wrote about the breeze was 100% accurate. However there is an underlying motivation behind why I did so. Over the course of 10 years, I sent thousands of tables to the other restaurant managed by the same ownership. I’ve never mentioned two terrible experiences I’ve had in the other restaurant (ice clump in my clam chowder. Must not have spent enough time in the microwave). Last fall I played behind the owner in a golf tournament. One of his bartenders was in his group and when she swung his 3 wood, She hit the golf cart and broke the golf club. I generously pulled a $275 golf club out of my bag and gave it to him. When I brought my Vodka to market this spring, I thought for sure he would be quick to help a local vodka who has helped him. Instead; I was quite insulted when he told me he would rather sell Tito‘s then Dancing Rabbit. The fact is, Titos has been fined twice by the EPA for dumping their distillery waste water into the river in Austin. Distillery waste water is the most acidic waste water of any industrial waste water known to man. It’s among the worst things that can be introduced to fresh water. It shocks me that any business serving a boating community would sell it to begin with.

I have a long standing track record for applauding my competition, however in this case if there were a negative number on the scale, I would select it over the 1 star.

Did just get sucked back into a rabbit hole��
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-07-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
VtSteve

Default Great place

We went to the Breeze Thursday night. It was packed, but we lucked out at the bar. Fantastic service all around, and very good food. Had I seen it earlier, it might have saved me some time at other restaurants. I had the duck, she had the seafood saffron. Both delicious, although the seafood could have used less saffron. Great addition around that locale.

Never made it to Pops, either closed one day and blocked by a truck another.

Misses. Went to the Union Diner. I can't say I've ever had bland food at a diner, but man, this was bland. Meat lover's Benedict. The meat was, well, lacking. Very mediocre all around. Not headed back there.

We were starved and gave in to the Weathervane. I had whole belly clams. They were ok, Cole slaw is horrible.

O's Steak. Nice place, staff shortage apparent. Ribeye is very good, but I'd not place O's in the most memorable category for me. Nothing bad, except slow. Just not a lasting memory.

Harts. Because, well I have to. Good as usual.

Patrick's. Pretty good, nothing special. Good service.

For some tips at the Whining Butcher. They were very good. I use prime sirloin at home and marinate overbite. Mine were a bit better, and cheaper.

Sawyers. Food's not too bad, whining butcher Hamburg is like eating a hockey puck. Great service though.

I might add that The Breeze and Harts were full of staff, busy as all heck. Both restaurants had exceptional service.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
We went to the Breeze Thursday night. It was packed, but we lucked out at the bar. Fantastic service all around, and very good food. Had I seen it earlier, it might have saved me some time at other restaurants. I had the duck, she had the seafood saffron. Both delicious, although the seafood could have used less saffron. Great addition around that locale.

Never made it to Pops, either closed one day and blocked by a truck another.

Misses. Went to the Union Diner. I can't say I've ever had bland food at a diner, but man, this was bland. Meat lover's Benedict. The meat was, well, lacking. Very mediocre all around. Not headed back there.

We were starved and gave in to the Weathervane. I had whole belly clams. They were ok, Cole slaw is horrible.

O's Steak. Nice place, staff shortage apparent. Ribeye is very good, but I'd not place O's in the most memorable category for me. Nothing bad, except slow. Just not a lasting memory.

Harts. Because, well I have to. Good as usual.

Patrick's. Pretty good, nothing special. Good service.

For some tips at the Whining Butcher. They were very good. I use prime sirloin at home and marinate overbite. Mine were a bit better, and cheaper.

Sawyers. Food's not too bad, whining butcher Hamburg is like eating a hockey puck. Great service though.

I might add that The Breeze and Harts were full of staff, busy as all heck. Both restaurants had exceptional service.
Can't help but wonder if O's staff shortage = Birch and Vine poaching.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2022, 02:57 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,981 Times in 1,930 Posts
Default Interesting

We have been to O’s a few times this summer and never experienced any sort of staff shortage issues. Always great food and service….

Dan
Old 08-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #9
VtSteve

Quote:
Can't help but wonder if O's staff shortage = Birch and Vine poaching.

Could be. It's a good restaurant. I've been spoiled since 2020. We just don't go to regular places to eat anymore, because we can cook and get better quality at home. So we hardly ever go out to breakfast, rarely for lunch, and occasionally for dinner now. I can buy prime cuts of beef, great fresh seafood, and anything else that's looking good.

In Florida, I was astounded to see that Fleming's Prime Steakhouse was owned by the same outfit as the Outback, where I've never returned to in years. Northern New England doesn't have the advantages of fantastic competition, but they still have high prices.

I still forgot to add the pilgrimage to the Town Docks. Again, excellent service and a lot of staff. My only lobster roll, expensive, and good. Just wanted to hang out by the water. I imagine their servers do very well with tips there.

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-29-2022 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Adding the Town Docks
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #10
XCR-700

What the heck is Dancing Rabbit Vodka and who cares,,,

Once vodka goes into a mixed drink I challenge 99% of the population to know the difference from one brand to another.

I have never had a vodka that impressed me enough to request in by name.

Is this just a local joke or someone pushing their own product???

What am I missing,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Reilly (08-31-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 09:50 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,532 Times in 990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
What the heck is Dancing Rabbit Vodka and who cares,,,

Once vodka goes into a mixed drink I challenge 99% of the population to know the difference from one brand to another.

I have never had a vodka that impressed me enough to request in by name.

Is this just a local joke or someone pushing their own product???

What am I missing,,,
You're many many many months late to the discussion about Dancing Rabbit. Look it up. Vodka is not what this thread is about.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:24 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Revisit 'Breeze'

Saturday afternoon lunch, it was pretty busy but service is excellent. No changes in the noise situation since the last visit in the main room and requested to seat in the former bar area. The noise is a little better but not much!

The food was excellent however a bit disappointed with the cole slaw. It was packaged Sysco serving. Cole Slaw is wicked simple to make and at the price I'm paying really killed the experience.

To each his/her own.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 08-30-2022 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Clarity
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 12:05 PM   #13
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Saturday afternoon lunch, it was pretty busy but service is excellent. No changes in the noise situation since the last visit in the main room and requested to seat in the former bar area. The noise is a little better but not much!

The food was excellent however a bit disappointed with the cole slaw. It was packaged Sysco serving. Cole Slaw is wicked simple to make and at the price I'm paying really killed the experience.

To each his/her own.
Definitely on the louder side when crowded for sure. Agreed on Cole slaw, while I didn't have theirs, if it was bad I would have said something. Cole slaw is a simple thing that many remember in their head as to taste, and even I can make a good Cole slaw myself. Judging from every other place in the general area, The Breeze fills a pretty wide gap that appears to have been needed. Judging by the attentive and professional staff, I'm sure they take this all in as constructive criticism. Not an insurmountable list for sure.

Over here on the West Coast of New England, we suffer from an abundance of 'local' restaurant owners and groups that are mostly mediocre. I'm not a Big Portion guy myself, but typically no issues there anyway. Sadly, some of our better restaurants are national chains. We have a locally-owned 'steak house' that is overpriced for whatever reason, it certainly isn't high quality or exquisite service, I had hoped a top notch national chain would have taken the site. But locals always have the ear of those that matter. The only thing more complex and risky than a restaurant is the customers.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:10 PM   #14
Descant

I think of national chains as reliable, predictable quality, but I can't really think of national chains that are top notch, or have a presence in New England. Jog my memory, please and suggest a couple of top notch chains. (Ruth's Chris?)
Old 08-31-2022, 02:43 PM   #15
Major

Thanked 1,014 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think of national chains as reliable, predictable quality, but I can't really think of national chains that are top notch, or have a presence in New England. Jog my memory, please and suggest a couple of top notch chains. (Ruth's Chris?)
Capital Grille, Smith & Wollensky's, Morton's, Del Frisco's and The Palm.

However, my personal favorite is Abe & Louie's, which isn't quite a chain with locations in Boston and Boca Raton.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:06 PM   #16
ishoot308

Thanked 4,981 Times in 1,930 Posts
Default Ruth's Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Capital Grille, Smith & Wollensky's, Morton's, Del Frisco's and The Palm.

However, my personal favorite is Abe & Louie's, which isn't quite a chain with locations in Boston and Boca Raton.
Don't forget Ruth's Chris! My favorite!

Dan
Major (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:33 PM   #17
GusMan

Default National steak house chains....

I guess I am in the minority here...

I don't really have a desire to go to the major steakhouse chains. Are they great? Sure... but I think steak is one of the easiest proteins to do well at home at a fraction of the cost. Does an aged prime steak cooked in a 1000 degree salamander shine? Of course. But is it really worth the 4x price (plus sides, sauces etc) than a Costco prime ribeye fired on your grill?

Not to mention the martinis and wine are much cheaper too!

Cheers...

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GusMan For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-27-2022), Mr. V (09-01-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:40 PM   #18
Major

Thanked 1,014 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
I guess I am in the minority here...

I don't really have a desire to go to the major steakhouse chains. Are they great? Sure... but I think steak is one of the easiest proteins to do well at home at a fraction of the cost. Does an aged prime steak cooked in a 1000 degree salamander shine? Of course. But is it really worth the 4x price (plus sides, sauces etc) than a Costco prime ribeye fired on your grill?

Not to mention the martinis and wine are much cheaper too!

Cheers...

Gusman
If one factored cost into the equation, I doubt most people wouldn't go out to eat in the first place. My wife and I go out to eat to relax, have someone else wait on us and to socialize and people watch. It is a frivolous activity we both enjoy. When we were younger we used to go out to eat much more than we do now. However, we still enjoy it.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-01-2022), ishoot308 (08-31-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 04:29 AM   #19
Overlake97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
If one factored cost into the equation, I doubt most people wouldn't go out to eat in the first place. My wife and I go out to eat to relax, have someone else wait on us and to socialize and people watch. It is a frivolous activity we both enjoy. When we were younger we used to go out to eat much more than we do now. However, we still enjoy it.
https://www.theonion.com/area-mom-co...che-1819566685
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #20
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
Cute story. This mom obviously hasn't seen the studies that report on the economic cost/value of a mom/housewife, and I would suggest she has no idea of the overhead for running her kitchen in terms of mortgage, utilities, amortized cost of appliances etc etc. Buying food is only a part of restaurant overhead. Hubby should taker someplace where there are no prices on the menu.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #21
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Cute story. This mom obviously hasn't seen the studies that report on the economic cost/value of a mom/housewife, and I would suggest she has no idea of the overhead for running her kitchen in terms of mortgage, utilities, amortized cost of appliances etc etc. Buying food is only a part of restaurant overhead. Hubby should taker someplace where there are no prices on the menu.
Ummm...you know The Onion is satirical, yes?