Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default Skiing

Anyone hit the slopes yet? I enjoyed two runs down the slopes of Attitash on Sunday. One trail open top to bottom. Kind of icy and busy but it was so nice to be riding the boards down the mountain again. Season 39 underway.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Got off the blue shuttle bus and hit the Waterville Valley slopes early on Saturday morning for about three hours until the three open trail got too crowded and the conditions went down hill fat.....eh....fast. Lets see - prices are now $55./day for weekdays, weekends or holidays, or $229./for the entire season minus just a few busy holidays. How can that be? ....www.threedom.com

For an easy and interesting and free winter cross country ski-hike, check out the Smarts Brook trail that leaves rt 49 close to the WV-Thornton town line and quickly parallels a deep canyon like brook for a few hundred yards. $25. buys you a WMNF parking pass for two cars for a year. Such-a-deal! www.usforestservice/wmnf.gov-or-something?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

Went to Sunday River on Saturday,Pretty crowded but it was a holiday weekend.They had what they called 26 trails open.Basically about 5 top to bottom runs on Barker Mt,Locke Mt, and South Ridge.Skied Bretton Woods on Sunday.A beautifull sunny morning with about4-5 top to bottom runs.The snow was pretty good.They actually had some trails open with natural snow only that were covered pretty well.Not much challenge there but my main ski area,Cannon Mt is up to their old mismanaged ways.Still not open cuz of " a part were waiting for to fix the compresser".I've held a pass at Cannon for 33 years and things just never seem to change as far as doing a lousy job at running a ski area.Very frustrating cuz I really do love this mountain.I have finally come around to the fact that the state needs to let some one else run this place who knows what they are doing.Mt Sunapee has been greatly improved since being leased out a few years ago.I can't believe I'm finally saying" LEASE CANNON TO A PRIVATE VENTURE!!".
Old 11-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow Loon

Friday Morning was a blast at Loon. I pretty much stayed on Flying Fox was it was beautifully groomed. By nootime it was crowded. Not many trails open. I went back Sunday and it was lousy. All skied off and and bumpy.
I agree wit SS on Cannon. I love the mountain. When John Vogel was running the place years ago, it was well managed. I have not seen the trails as good since. I am still waiting for the Mittersill development. I can see the shift of the beginners off the expert terrain happening.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

Broadhopper,I live at Mittersill during the winter weekends for the last 14 years.Love to play on the natural snow trails of Mittersill that are half grown in(but kept open every year by secret elves).I've had a pass at Cannon for 34 years in a row now so I have a lot of first hand knowledge of how this place has been run.As long as the state stays in charge of running it,there will be little change in the ways things have been.That's too bad.The majority of the regulars never wanted to see privatization cuz the mismanagement kept the crowds away and the Cannon was always much more inexpensive than comparable mountains.That's certainly not the case anymore with season passes with multible areas actually cheaper than Cannons one area pass.Of course,having said all that I still bought my 34th Cannon pass for $445 this year,but also for the 3rd year,bought an all-for-one pass to ski at Sugarloaf,Sunday River,Attitash,Killington,and Mt Snow for $349!How can you beat that?And the best thing is THAT THEIR OPEN!!!