Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Waterbaby

Default Lost Ski Area

NH Chronicle on WMUR Channel 9 is doing a special tonite on Lost Ski Areas. I think it may be a repeat, but should still be interesting. Enjoy!
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Lost Ski Areas

Waterbaby: There is an excellent website dedicated to just this topic that I am sure Chronicle will refer to.

CLICK FOR LINK
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

This website brings back lots of memories. Mt Rowe, Arrowhead, The Gilford Tow, Moose Mtn, Copple Crown, Mt Whittier.
Crotched Mountain reopen and so did Saddleback in Maine. I think there is a ski area in Maine offered on EBay in the fall. I can't remember the name.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

AAhhh,that is a great website for me.I have spent many hours on that site looking at old areas that I used to frequent.I personally skied first at a place called the Elms resort in Manchester NH which has since been taken over by the sprawl around the Manchester airport.(I beleive the Executive Court Club)It had only one ropetow.It might as well been the Rocky Mountains.There was Twin Tows in Milford,Bragdons farm in Amherst,and a rpoetow at the Derryfeild country club in Manchester.I use to ski for one dollar on Mondays at the Highlands Ski Area in Tilton/Northfeild which is still visible from I-93 when heading south.Thoise were the days!! SS

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 12-22-2004 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs up

SS, you're dating yourself! Did you ski on barrel slats? Seriously, the old areas were a lot of fun in those days. I skied at an area in Hamilton, Mass back in the 60's, which did seem like the Alps back then. First "big" mountain was Gunstock riding on the single chair back then. Maybe see you up at Cannon next week. Merry X-mas!

SP

Last edited by Seaplane Pilot; 12-22-2004 at 03:05 PM.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Fishy Cover

Does anyone remember Tyrol in Jackson? Also Onset in Francestown, where I learned to ski on a gravel/ice mix, and also a rope tow in an apple orchard in Londonderry that was always sheet ice. And what was the area near New London that had the parking lot & lodge at the top of the hill?
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:36 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Cool Ski upside down at King Ridge!

Was that King Ridge that was located somewhere near Mt Sunapee. With their base lodge and parking lot on the summit you had to make the last lift before it was closed at the end of the day or else you would have to walk back up to the summit and your car.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:20 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Yes it was king ridge. Kinda weird to ski down from the lodge. Hogback was that way over on rte 9 in Vt as I remember it also. You could get a lift from the road to the top, and then ski the back side as I remember it. (had to jump back into this and change name from "haystack" to "hogback".

Last edited by upthesaukee; 12-22-2004 at 11:24 PM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:25 PM   #9
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Was that King Ridge that was located somewhere near Mt Sunapee. With their base lodge and parking lot on the summit you had to make the last lift before it was closed at the end of the day or else you would have to walk back up to the summit and your car.
It sure was. It was my favorite place to ski. In fact our high school ski club used to travel from Billerica to there quite a few times. Nice trails. You just didn't want to miss the last rope tow or chairlift back up the mtn.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:57 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Default Chronicle

The Chronicle show was a disappointment. They only show Thorn Mountain and Whittier. At least they mention NELSAP website.

I remember King Ridge. I think it is a golf course now. I was told that the two chairs that served the area is now the chair that brings people to the top of Ragged Mountain secon peak.

Can anyone remember a rope tow at one of Laconia's park? I believe it was open to teach the kids how to ski. There was a rope tow in back of someone's house in Laconia. I think it was Red Dunn.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Cool Ye olde chair lift ride & fall (kersplash)!

The new detachable, high speed quad chair lifts make it too too easy. Used to be, a not-so-small puddle would form at the bottom of the get-off area for the old chairlifts in the Spring time and a new side line comedy event was soon a-happening. Novice & lo-inters would be disembarking down the little hill at the top of their chair lift ride, and go smack-all wet-too bad, fall forward into the deep puddles and get soaked, ha-ha, hee-hee. Too too much fun to watch while spring skiing! And these detachable quads do not do that, phooey!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Default Gunstock double chairs.

I love the old double chairs that took me to the top of the mountains. The safety gate was perfect for hanging the ski poles from. Leaves your hands for cleaning goggles, smoking joints etc.
I think the doubles were much more realiable than the triple that replace it. I can't remember getting stuck on the doubles. I got stuck a number of times on the triple.
I remember the ol' bannana lift to the top of try-me. That was fun. The racing trail off the try-me lift use to be one of the 10 best in America. I'm surprised the new management let it go.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:39 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Yes FLL.It was in New London across Lake Sunapee.We always called King Ridge the upsidedown mountain for that reason.

Posted by Fish Cove Does anyone remember Tyrol in Jackson? Also Onset in Francestown.
I have a Tyrol ski map somewhere.I skied Onset when it first opened.It had the first "bubblechair" in the northeast.I thought that chair was pretty cool in that it had a bubbled shaped top section that would pivot down to the safety bar and protect you from the elements.I will never forget standing in line for this chair and seeing somebody start to fall off the lift just after loading.There boot/ski got caught in the chair somehow and they were stuck hanging upside down from one leg for 15 minutes before the patrol figured out how to get them down.Kind of scared me a little.

Posted by Seaplane Pilot SS, you're dating yourself! Did you ski on barrel slats? I still ski on beer barrel slats so to speak.Your gonna get it Rikki!!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Arrow Beer bail slats.

Now that's interesting............
Skinny tips and tails with a huge medsection. Do you rock into the turns?