Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
jondx52

Default First time visitor - advice/tips/best route?

Hi Everyone,

Just got into boating this year and have a 16ft mastercraft 90hp outboard. I've been using it on smaller local lakes down in northeast MA and Silver Lake in NH every so often.

Looking to make the first of hopefully a few day trips up to Winnipesaukee this weekend or next. Not entirely sure where I will try and launch from as I'm still browsing these threads and options online. Initially thinking Alton Bay since its closest.

Anyway, I'm looking for anyone who can give me some really good tips/advice even if it seems very basic. Browsing through some threads here the lake seems like it can be intimidating! I plan to cruise very slow and just enjoy the lake and maybe doc at a few spots to get some food with the wife etc.

Give me your best pointers on navigation, easiest routes for a beginner with launching spots and avoiding any difficult rocky areas, timing for finding parking etc.

Also I have a Simrad depth finder/GPS with the Navionics HotMaps card and plan to also use my phone with the iBoating iphone app for extra insight.

I appreciate it and hope to enjoy the lake!
jondx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
XCR-700

Unless you have nerves of steel or are a long very time highly experienced boater or you are the type that never gets their feathers ruffled and you adapt to everything thrown at you super easy, then do not make your first trip on a Saturday in a boat that small.

For too many people I think boating on a busy summer Saturday in a 16' boat will ruin the experience for you.

Where as a trip out in that same boat on a Monday with no wind and clear sky could be the best day you ever had.

Its just so busy on Saturdays and the average size boat on Winnipesaukee is probably 27' with many larger boats, and the water can get really churned up.

Sorry, dont mean to be a wet blanket, I hope whatever day you choose you have a great time, and personally I find the the south end of the lake the easiest to navigate with far less hazzards.

ATB

Last edited by XCR-700; 08-04-2020 at 03:00 PM.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
jondx52 (08-04-2020), moose tracks (08-08-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
jondx52

Default First time visitor - advice/tips/best route?

That is exactly the info that I needed to know. Thank you! I was worried about traffic and my boat being smaller so maybe the weekend isn’t the best time for the first trip. I’ll aim to get up during the week and maybe head to Ossippee or back to Silver Lake if I need to go Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondx52 View Post
That is exactly the info that I needed to know. Thank you! I was worried about traffic and my boat being smaller so maybe the weekend isn’t the best time for the first trip. I’ll aim to get up during the week and maybe head to Ossippee or back to Silver Lake if I need to go Saturday

If you're going to go out on a weekend and NEED to visit Winnipesaukee, you could always hang out in the north. From Moultonborough Bay to Greene's Basin, a 16'+ vessel is fine most all the time, and it's much less crowded, especially if out early.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
jondx52 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the Forum.
I agree--especially on the south and west side of the lake, weekend waters can be very rough and chaotic due to wakes. Collect a few friends and rent a pontoon so you avoid the aggravation of overloaded launch ramps with not enough parking. The toons will handle rough water in comfort, as long as you maintain reasonable speeds. Bring a picnic lunch. Getting dock space at public docks can mean a long wait. Again, weekdays are better.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-05-2020), jondx52 (08-04-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Welcome to the Forum.
I agree--especially on the south and west side of the lake, weekend waters can be very rough and chaotic due to wakes. Collect a few friends and rent a pontoon so you avoid the aggravation of overloaded launch ramps with not enough parking. The toons will handle rough water in comfort, as long as you maintain reasonable speeds. Bring a picnic lunch. Getting dock space at public docks can mean a long wait. Again, weekdays are better.
Good alternative advice!
Old 08-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
If you're going to go out on a weekend and NEED to visit Winnipesaukee, you could always hang out in the north. From Moultonborough Bay to Greene's Basin, a 16'+ vessel is fine most all the time, and it's much less crowded, especially if out early.

Sound advice! Moultonborough Bay is our goto area when we get sick of the weekend crush! I agree with XCR that the weekend is not your best option. Midweek will give you a much better lake experience....and it’s a beautiful lake!
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
jondx52 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
jondx52

How is Lake Winnisquam for this scenario on a Saturday? Better for a first timer?

Old 08-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #9
XCR-700

Better as far a water conditions, you wont get beat up like on Winnipesaukee, but it is very busy. VERY busy,,,

Its a beautiful lake and the sandbar is really fun if you can got on it, it fills up fast and stays busy all day.

Sunday on Winnisquam would be just a bit better.

If you go on a Saturday, just go as early as you can.

And dont give up on Winnipesaukee, just find a way to get a day off during the week. There is no where like it!

ATB
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
jondx52 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Default ......... on golden pond

Big Squam Lake, NH's 2nd largest lake:

Rt 93-Exit 24 Ashland to Holderness, on Rt 3/25-west to Rt 113-north for 200-yards to free-to-use, NH Fish & Game boat launch with trailer parking and rest room, next to NH Science Center ..... about 15-minutes drive from Rt 93-Exit 24 going through small towns of Ashland and Holderness .... take a left on Rt 113 just beyond the Holderness Public Library.

The State of NH twin boat launch ramps on Squam unload into the Squam channel which is a 300(?)-yard long river that connects Big and Little Squam Lakes.

A 16-18' boat is like a good size for www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squam_Lake ..... or even a 14' aluminum side-steer boat with a 25-hp.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
FlyingScot

Quote:

Disagree--tricky navigation to avoid rocks in the north. Less experienced captains make mistakes every weekend near me, especially on the Tuftonboro side. The advice to aim for a smaller lake is better
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Disagree--tricky navigation to avoid rocks in the north. Less experienced captains make mistakes every weekend near me, especially on the Tuftonboro side. The advice to aim for a smaller lake is better
Meh. I don't think it's tricky at all, especially with a chart—everything is marked. And compared to Squam?

Old 08-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
FlyingScot

Quote:
Meh. I don't think it's tricky at all, especially with a chart—everything is marked. And compared to Squam?

That's because you're an especially studious captain (as evidenced by your many excellent posts!). Many people just wanna have fun and would prefer an area that does not need a chart for rock avoidance on a simple and relaxed day
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
Newbiesaukee

I like both of you guys but have to go with Flying on this one. I live close to Moultonborough Bay Area and have been on Winni for 17 years. We just got a new smaller boat and even with a chart in hand the trip from Long Island to Greens Basin is a difficult trip. I have only ever used the paper Bizer; but the trip is not for the inexperienced casual boater.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
SimpleTL (08-07-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #15
XCR-700

I'm jumping on the south end of the lake bandwagon, or did I start it,,,

Either way, for someone new to boating AND new to Winnipesaukeee in 16' boat, launching in Alton or West Alton, exploring Alton Bay and maybe making the trip to Wolfeboro or the West Alton sandbar is a good and pretty safe weekday trip and more than enough for a first run.

After that leaving from Alton or West Alton and making your way back and forth to Weirs and them Meredith is a good next few steps.

Or flip flop it and launch in Meredith and make the trip to Weirs, and then maybe the Paugas Bay sandbar and around Governors Island.

Then in future trips work your way down to Wolfeboro and Alton Bay.

Navigating the north end of the lake is MUCH harder and there are so many more areas you can get in trouble.

After well over 50 years boating on Winnipesaukee and I still spend most of my time between Meredith and Wolfeboro via the southern shoreline.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #16
thinkxingu

C'mon now, fellas. I'd NEVER captained a watercraft and, in 2014, I got on our new-to-us 20' pontoon with full bimini (read: kite) and took it from Trexler's to Hanson Cove and back. It's not rocket surgery. I mean, there's a "safe passage" line to follow on the chart!

That being said, West Alton early and lunch at Pop's is pretty good, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #17
Jdarby

Quote:
C'mon now, fellas. I'd NEVER captained a watercraft and, in 2014, I got on our new-to-us 20' pontoon with full bimini (read: kite) and took it from Trexler's to Hanson Cove and back. It's not rocket surgery. I mean, there's a "safe passage" line to follow on the chart!

That being said, West Alton early and lunch at Pop's is pretty good, too.

I’m biased as my first significant boating experience on the lake was on the north end. I was not accustomed to the navigational aid system being used but what I was accustomed to was always knowing where the heck I was on a chart. I’ve never hit a rock or become grounded (knocking on my wooden head right now). Whatever you decide to do be sure you have a chart and use it. You’ll be fine.
XCR-700 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #18
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
I’m biased as my first significant boating experience on the lake was on the north end. I was not accustomed to the navigational aid system being used but what I was accustomed to was always knowing where the heck I was on a chart. I’ve never hit a rock or become grounded (knocking on my wooden head right now). Whatever you decide to do be sure you have a chart and use it. You’ll be fine.
My new boat does not have a compass so I have tried, on occasion while boating recently, to convince myself that the sun really does set in the East. I now have an app to indicate direction.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #19
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
My new boat does not have a compass so I have tried, on occasion while boating recently, to convince myself that the sun really does set in the East. I now have an app to indicate direction.
What you’re describing is a very real psychological condition and is a form of confirmation bias. Despite what you are seeing, you do everything to dismiss information that is contrary to what you believe. Eg: I know I’m on the correct side of that marker because it’s the afternoon and the sun surely sets in the East! In aviation this is frequently the cause of even well trained pilots making deadly mistakes as they don’t trust the information they are receiving as being accurate as it must not be because they know they are right! To be human is to be imperfect. Be safe!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-05-2020), Newbiesaukee (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #20
thinkxingu

Oh, and the OP has, like, GPS and stuff!
Come to the north!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
welovethelake22 (09-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #21
Jdarby

Quote:
Oh, and the OP has, like, GPS and stuff!
Come to the north!

Come to the north! That sounds like something out of Game of Thrones! LOL

Old 08-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #22
8gv

I have a chart of the lake that shows all the places the Mt Washington travels.

Staying on those dotted green lines tells me that my boat, which draws about 39", should be safe.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (08-05-2020), XCR-700 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #23
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I have a chart of the lake that shows all the places the Mt Washington travels.

Staying on those dotted green lines tells me that my boat, which draws about 39", should be safe.
There you have it!!!

Old 08-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #24
GusMan

Default Exploring Winnie in a (very) small boat...

Hey Jondx52...

Welcome to Winnie! A fabulously beautiful lake... but one that needs to be respected in a small boat.

I've been a visitor to the lake for more than twenty years... a bass fisherman that spent MANY years exploring in a 16 foot Grumman Aluminum semi-Vee bassboat with a 75hp motor. I've pretty much been to most places on the lake, but you have to choose wisely when you're in a small boat.

For sure .. weekdays are better than weekends... but even then, weather can change conditions in a moment.

If I were day tripping and wanted to explore a bit in a16 ft boat, ... I would never launch from Alton Bay, Wolfboro Bay, or Merideth Bay. Beautiful areas .. nice restaurants.. but the busiest and roughest water on the lake. As others have said, the northeast side of the lake is much quieter. launch from Center Harbor, Harilla Landing, or even Lee's Mills. Get a paper chart (along with your electronics) and take your time. Yes, the markers can be confusing (study the map!!) and when in doubt stop and reassess.

And as has been said before... NEVER! assume that other boats know where they are going...Those big boats could very well be more clueless than you!

Have fun exploring… Be (more than) careful and enjoy.

Oh...and BTW.. the scariest weather/water conditions I ever experienced was on Winnisquam! Bad weather.. huge waves... scary stuff indeed.

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GusMan For This Useful Post:
jondx52 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #25
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I like both of you guys but have to go with Flying on this one. I live close to Moultonborough Bay Area and have been on Winni for 17 years. We just got a new smaller boat and even with a chart in hand the trip from Long Island to Greens Basin is a difficult trip. I have only ever used the paper Bizer; but the trip is not for the inexperienced casual boater.
Have to disagree. My husband and I started our boating in that area. With a chart frequently referenced, it’s not that difficult. With experience, it becomes second nature.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-06-2020, 05:52 AM   #26
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
Hey Jondx52...

Welcome to Winnie! A fabulously beautiful lake... but one that needs to be respected in a small boat.

I've been a visitor to the lake for more than twenty years... a bass fisherman that spent MANY years exploring in a 16 foot Grumman Aluminum semi-Vee bassboat with a 75hp motor. I've pretty much been to most places on the lake, but you have to choose wisely when you're in a small boat.

For sure .. weekdays are better than weekends... but even then, weather can change conditions in a moment.

If I were day tripping and wanted to explore a bit in a16 ft boat, ... I would never launch from Alton Bay, Wolfboro Bay, or Merideth Bay. Beautiful areas .. nice restaurants.. but the busiest and roughest water on the lake. As others have said, the northeast side of the lake is much quieter. launch from Center Harbor, Harilla Landing, or even Lee's Mills. Get a paper chart (along with your electronics) and take your time. Yes, the markers can be confusing (study the map!!) and when in doubt stop and reassess.

And as has been said before... NEVER! assume that other boats know where they are going...Those big boats could very well be more clueless than you!

Have fun exploring… Be (more than) careful and enjoy.

Oh...and BTW.. the scariest weather/water conditions I ever experienced was on Winnisquam! Bad weather.. huge waves... scary stuff indeed.

Gusman
I agree with Gusman in most of this post. Where I disagree is launching in Alton Bay, Wolfboro Bay, and Meredith Bay being the roughest water on the lake. Yes, all 3 of those places are rough, but only on weekends when the lake is a zoo. If you launch in any of those area's on a nice weekday, with little to no wind, I think any one of those places will be fine for any size boat. It's a totally different lake on weekends compared to Monday thru Friday, as long as there is no wind. If you only have a chance to explore the lake on a weekend, then I would definitely recommend the Moultonboro Bay area where it is much calmer on that side of the lake. Also, even with all your electronics, I would advise (anyone) to have a bizer chart with you at all times when exploring this lake. If you launch in Alton, I would recommend Robert's Cove. They are more than happy to help you launch, and get your boat back on the trailer upon your return, and it is only 20 and there is plenty of parking. There is a public ramp at the southern tip of Alton Bay, but it is under construction for the foreseeable future, otherwise I would recommend that if you are an early riser... Good luck, and enjoy!!
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:14 AM   #27
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Better as far a water conditions, you wont get beat up like on Winnipesaukee, but it is very busy. VERY busy,,,

Its a beautiful lake and the sandbar is really fun if you can got on it, it fills up fast and stays busy all day.

Sunday on Winnisquam would be just a bit better.

If you go on a Saturday, just go as early as you can.

And dont give up on Winnipesaukee, just find a way to get a day off during the week. There is no where like it!

ATB
There is a second sandbar on Winnisquam…...at the mouth of the river just a few minutes by boat from the bridge.
It is equally large but not as busy
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-08-2020), XCR-700 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #28
WinnisquamZ

The reason it’s not as busy, being told second hand, leaches

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #29
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
There is a second sandbar on Winnisquam…...at the mouth of the river just a few minutes by boat from the bridge.
It is equally large but not as busy
I stopped at the “2nd” sandbar years ago when I had a trailerable boat and what I saw was debris and beer cans strewn about the sandy bottom...not sure if it’s the same now though.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #30
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post

No way, that would be a deal breaker for me,,,
Old 08-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #31
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I stopped at the “2nd” sandbar years ago when I had a trailerable boat and what I saw was debris and beer cans strewn about the sandy bottom...not sure if it’s the same now though.
Hummm,,, thats not better,,,
Old 08-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #32
Juiced06GTO

In a 16' boat with an OB, I would agree that driving further north and launching around the Lee's Mill area would be a great trip, very scenic and much more like being on a small lake especially on a weekend. The big down side is that there is not really any place to go dock and get out and walk and get food and stuff like that. With a chart plotter and paper chart you should be able to keep yourself out of trouble, especially in a boat that doesn't draw much.

My second choice would be Roberts Cove and making the run from there to Wolfeboro. You'd have the ability to dock and get out walk around get food, check out the small shops and then could cruise along the shore down towards Alton Bay. There is a bunch to explore in that area and it tends to be not as rough on the weekends.

The north west portions of the lake, north of West Alton, Rattlesnake, Meredith, Wiers, Paugus Bay are extremely busy and rough on the weekends. We cruised over to the Weirs/Paugus on my 24' boat from Moultonboro on a Saturday afternoon and it was a rough ride once we got close to those areas. We also took a pretty good wave right over the bow entering the Paugus Bay channel because every yahoo in their 30'+ boat feels the need to hammer the throttle as soon as they clear the no wake buoys even if there is a line of boats waiting to enter the channel

If you enjoy boating Winni is one of the best places in the area to do it. There is no shortage of things to do/places to see. My family will be up at our cottage on Upper Suncook the week of the 17th and were going to make a day trip up to cruise around Winni for the day during the week, probably launching at Shibley's in Alton or Robert's Cove. Would love to show you around if you can make it up during the week! Have fun and be safe out there!

Anthony
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juiced06GTO For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (08-06-2020), jondx52 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #33
jondx52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
In a 16' boat with an OB, I would agree that driving further north and launching around the Lee's Mill area would be a great trip, very scenic and much more like being on a small lake especially on a weekend. The big down side is that there is not really any place to go dock and get out and walk and get food and stuff like that. With a chart plotter and paper chart you should be able to keep yourself out of trouble, especially in a boat that doesn't draw much.

My second choice would be Roberts Cove and making the run from there to Wolfeboro. You'd have the ability to dock and get out walk around get food, check out the small shops and then could cruise along the shore down towards Alton Bay. There is a bunch to explore in that area and it tends to be not as rough on the weekends.

The north west portions of the lake, north of West Alton, Rattlesnake, Meredith, Wiers, Paugus Bay are extremely busy and rough on the weekends. We cruised over to the Weirs/Paugus on my 24' boat from Moultonboro on a Saturday afternoon and it was a rough ride once we got close to those areas. We also took a pretty good wave right over the bow entering the Paugus Bay channel because every yahoo in their 30'+ boat feels the need to hammer the throttle as soon as they clear the no wake buoys even if there is a line of boats waiting to enter the channel

If you enjoy boating Winni is one of the best places in the area to do it. There is no shortage of things to do/places to see. My family will be up at our cottage on Upper Suncook the week of the 17th and were going to make a day trip up to cruise around Winni for the day during the week, probably launching at Shibley's in Alton or Robert's Cove. Would love to show you around if you can make it up during the week! Have fun and be safe out there!

Anthony

Thank you! All of this info has been great. I am going to hold off for this coming Saturday I think just because its probably going to be a zoo. I likely will get to Winnisquam early just to get to a sizeable lake up in that area and then maybe during a coming week I will make a trip up to Winnipesaukee.

Thank you for the offer too, might have to take you up on that
Old 08-07-2020, 05:40 AM   #34
thinkxingu

One more note: weekend visits late August on are usually significantly different than throughout the summer because people get ready for school, sports, etc.

That may not be entirely the case this year, but if you can't find a midweek day, an early Saturday in the second half might work.

Or you could head to the North most anytime...bwahahahaha!!!

Old 08-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #35
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Have been visiting Winnisquam my entire life since six or seven years old. This second so called sand bar that is part of Dixon point is mostly pouted by trash that is dumped in the river and floats down stream and ends up in the lake. Keep in mind this is happening 12 months of the year as the river does not freeze nor does the actual sandbar itself and for many years they dumped snow in the river with trash in it. Not to mention its for lack a of a better term a it's actually a mud bar of sorts with sand on top that is much like quicksand not a firm bottom like the sand bar down at the bridge. The sand bar down by the mosquito bridge is much cleaner and very well self monitored for trash. If you dump trash down there someone is likely to call and report you for doing so. Unlike the Dixon Point sand bar where much of the trash just floats down river from snow and ice removal from parking lots.

In the spring when the river is flowing fast from spring runoff and pulls things up, that's when it really looks like hell there.

Navigating Winnisquam? Just stay out in the middle there are very few places that will bite you. Very different than Winni. How ever if you want to know where the few trouble spots are, visit Winnisquam Marine on the lake where the gas docks are. For many years they had a map of the few problem areas on the eastern shoreline around Hog Island where folks bitched up there props or lower units. For a while I seem to recall if you got caught over there in one of there rentals in this zone, they would take away the rental or make you forfeit the boat for the rest of the day. Just one small area you have to be careful of. It was part of the contract that you would not go over there.

Despite the few problems that all lakes have Highly recommend if it is one of your first trips to a New Hampshire big lake, one of the best " big practice lakes" if there is such a thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Best Advice ........ for a first timer.
Yes, I figured the river dumping in there had something to do with the debris and cans...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #36
Cal Coon

Quote:
Don't forget the old tires too.

For years at the old water ski races at Bartlett beach we had to promise that we would discourage swimming to get the permit from Laconia to use the beach.
Just wondering what year(s) you are talking about when you refer to the "old water ski races"? I had a cousin that competed on Winnisquam in the mid to late 70's. I never had the privilege of watching her compete, but I know she was very competitive, and was an incredible water skier! I was always amazed at her level of ability when I had the opportunity to watch her practice on the lake her family had a camp on nearby.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:36 AM   #37
Cal Coon

Quote:
Do not quote me on dates that the beach was closed, but the water ski races at Bartlett were from about 1969 -1970 to August 20th 1978 as best as I can recall. The reason for an exact date is from a trophy / framed photo that my dad won in the "Old Timers Race" It was one of if not the very last races that they had there. It was a race mostly for the folks and parents of competitors that organized the races 5 miles race duration, it went from Bartlett beach to just in front of Pot Island over to Ferry Point and where the ski jump was where the very old races held back to the start at Bartlett Beach. Essentially 1/2 of a lap of the ten normal mile course. Because it was a fun race of sorts you could ski with either one or two skis. The rules for the race were *bent* to let everyone compete that wanted to participate, top speeds were about 30 to 40 mph. The photo / prize was given out a week or two later at the Banquet. Because it was not one of the regularly scheduled races they kept the prizes to a minimum and only had prizes for the skiers.

Note on the Girls races. My sister one year won the "Governors Trophy" they had . The Girls races were very competitive back then in some ways better than the boys races where generally the faster boats won all the time.

In the olden days ..... there were two classes of boats for a given horsepower ones with power trim and ones without.
I don't know exact dates either, but my guess is a 4 or 5 year period between 1972 - 1978 that she competed on Winnisquam. She used to ski behind a 17' Penn Yan with a 120hp 4cyl mercruiser for the first year or two, until a friend of hers that had a camp on the same lake got a red and white, 16' or 17' Glastron (cvx I think with all the sparkles!!), and a 125hp Johnson outboard that was much faster. She then started competing behind the Glastron. At the time, it was the fastest boat on the lake where their camp was!! It was during these times in my youth that my passion for boats, water, mtn's, the lakes region, the smell of pine trees, etc, etc, hit me hard and has stayed within me till this day...!!! Very fond memories.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #38
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
I haven't run into any leaches lately, in fact I haven't seen any leaches anywhere on any lakes. Must have gone the way of crayfishes. Global warming?

Most of the beer cans, and glasses were picked up by responsible people. There are leftovers as the sand is stirred, so you may want to wear water mocs.

I think you can motor up the Winnipesakee River to the Avery Dam in a 16ft OB. I've seen many Tracker boats up there.

So yes, Winnisquam is great for small boats. Just be mindful of the buoys, there are hazards. Winnisquam Marine has charts.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:53 AM   #39
Jdarby

I stumbled upon this older article. I think it does a nice job of capturing the essence of a boating visit to the lake! https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...mpshire/#close

jondx52 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #40
Pricestavern

Default Get a Chart!

Buy a chart of the lake and spend an hour or two looking over it. If you don’t have a chart, don’t venture onto the lake. Navigation can be very confusing even for the old timers out there. Large rocks lurk just below the surface in areas well away from shore. Don’t mean to scare you but you see it all the time on the lake with new and even experienced boaters.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote