Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Chaselady

Default Moultonboro island first responder

An interesting night on an island in Moultonboro last night. A woman falls, breaks her leg. 911 is called to assist in getting her off the island. She is in excruciating pain. Requests transport to Huggins but is told she will be taken to LRGH...even though it is the other side of the lake from her location.
It takes over an hour for first responders to arrive, in a JON boat, no stretcher. They each grab the woman's arms and help her "hop" down the stairs. They then drop her into a plastic lawn chair to finish carrying her to the boat. The whole time this poor woman is sobbing with pain.
Then the real fun begins. The responders start the boat, it stall, again and again when they put it in gear. Everyone watching from shore knows they must have something wrapped around the prop. 13 tries later, they decide to look at the prop...sure enough.
I'm so glad our island is in Tuftonboro.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
LakeSummerFun (06-26-2019)
Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
RailroadJoe

Doesn't Moultonboro have an EMD in their fire department? I know most towns do and they are fast responding to 911 calls. And why Laconia?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Moultonboro island first responder

What a terrible experience. First of all, I hope the lady is recovering from the experience and I hope her broken leg was attended to by medical professionals.

Second of all, I hope the management of the Moultonboro rescue squad reads the above post and uses it as a manual for a training session on island rescues, at the very least.

Enough said.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (09-02-2013), lakefront (09-03-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
SunsetPointWentworth

With the amount of taxes being paid by lake residents, you'd think they would have a state of the art rescue boat. Sounds like the Wolfeboro rescue boat would have made it there faster.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Chaselady

I was told there is another Moultonboro rescue boat, but it is up in Lees Mill. That's a real long ride for someone who might be having a heart attack.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Lake Fan

My mother has had occasion more than once to use the services of the Tuftonboro Rescue boat for transportation off our island for medical reasons. Considering it was night each time and on an island location, they arrived promptly and were extremely professional and courteous.

Our island association makes an annual donation to the department. It's not a great amount, but we do appreciate their services.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Fan For This Useful Post:
LakeSummerFun (06-26-2019)
Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I read this as kind of a nasty post. It would be interesting to see if the rest of the crew was out on other calls being it is a holiday weekend with about a gazillion other non-residents and Summer folk up here. If it was such a debacle why didn't someone get in a boat and take her to shore for a more rapid transfer? When you live on an island you should be a whole lot more prepared for emergencies than mainland people need to be. Maybe she wasn't the only other emergency happening at that time. You might want to give Moultonborough Fire Department some respect and the benefit of the doubt until someone goes to a meeting and asks what happened as I am sure someone will. I hope. Maybe?

Last edited by Lakesrider; 09-02-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: UR Island is Tuftonborough as wel
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
BlackcatBoater (09-03-2013), Buoy #67 (05-17-2014), knittaplz (09-03-2013), mbhoward (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I read this as kind of a nasty post. It would be interesting to see if the rest of the crew was out on other calls being it is a holiday weekend with about a gazillion other non-residents and Summer folk up here. If it was such a debacle why didn't someone get in a boat and take her to shore for a more rapid transfer? When you live on an island you should be a whole lot more prepared for emergencies than mainland people need to be. Maybe she wasn't the only other emergency happening at that time. You might want to give Moultonborough Fire Department some respect and the benefit of the doubt until someone goes to a meeting and asks what happened as I am sure someone will. I hope. Maybe?
I hope spirits are better today and the leg is ok.

I agree with this above quoted post.
Hopefully the area was well lit up and clear for help to come.
Responders are people too, great people. Why would a group of bystanders observe them in a rescue situation and not suggest the possibility of something caught around the prop. Those guys or gals are under the "microscope" with a lot going through there minds as well.
Hope all is ok.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (09-02-2013), knittaplz (09-03-2013), Lakesrider (09-05-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Chaselady

Quote:
Not meant as a nasty post...just a heads up to Moultonboro island residents about some obvious limitations in the service they may expect. It was 11pm at night. The patient was in extreme pain. It was felt it would be more expedient to have her professionally transported. The people had NO idea it woul take over an hour for help to arrive, and that the assistance would be so unprepared.
It is true, as islanders we need to be somewhat more prepared...but taxes are supposed to provide us with some basic services. This isn't in disrespect to the Moultonboro Fire Department...but somewhere the ball was dropped. As a Tuftonboro resident I see our department almost every other day out training on their boat. Is this an access problem, or a training issue?
chasedawg (09-05-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
Not meant as a nasty post...just a heads up to Moultonboro island residents about some obvious limitations in the service they may expect. It was 11pm at night. The patient was in extreme pain. It was felt it would be more expedient to have her professionally transported. The people had NO idea it woul take over an hour for help to arrive, and that the assistance would be so unprepared.
It is true, as islanders we need to be somewhat more prepared...but taxes are supposed to provide us with some basic services. This isn't in disrespect to the Moultonboro Fire Department...but somewhere the ball was dropped. As a Tuftonboro resident I see our department almost every other day out training on their boat. Is this an access problem, or a training issue?
You're on an island which comes with inherent risks. Similar to hiking on a mountain or being in the back country. Unfortunately, things like this happen in these circumstances. My guess is that your case was handled by back-up. While there are many comforts on the islands these days people should realize it isn't like living in the city. I hope the lady is doing well.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
JDeere

Default Rescue?

I have met many of the volunteer EMT's and those who volunteer for the MFD and they are great people who risk their lives to help others BUT that does not mean that they are above reproach. If they were unprepared to deal with an emergency then that fault lies with the volunteers and the town that is responsible with providing them the right training and equipment.

People living on the island have the right to expect and demand the same response that those on the mainland receive ( understanding that their is a limitation on how fast they can get there.)

So, I feel the post was an appropriate way to bring this issue to light.

Last edited by JDeere; 09-03-2013 at 05:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (09-03-2013), hazelnut (09-05-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Monday morning quarterbacking here but if that were my situation on an island, I would want to get the person to the mainland asap. It cuts the time down if meeting at a well known area and eliminates the rescue trying to find an island address at night which almost certainly will take longer than the resident with local navigation knowledge.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ....is it a free ride?

When you consider that you do get charged for ambulance transport in most local NH towns, (but not in Alton), maybe you should be a smart consumer and consider your options. Is going to a hospital really necessary, and is there another way to get to the emergency room such as driving yourself or getting help from a neighbor or someone? Boaters all around Lake Winnipesaukee have always been extremely helpful to come to the aid of boating accidents such as a fire or a capsize, and it would probably be very easy to get someone to transport you without incurring the $5,000 ambulance transport expense.

Back in August, 2006, a 64-year old Vermont woman, being transported with minor injury to her head and foot by a local NH or VT town rescue boat was drowned dead during transport because she was strapped into a transport carry litter and secured to the bow of the boat, an airboat, and the bow got submerged, or something. Do not recall all the details?

http://www.lifesaving.com/node/1223

....and, maybe you want to google ...... "Settlement reached in drowning rescue suit in NH" April 26, 2012

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-03-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
NH_boater

I am not sure what is meant by same response, with time limitations. A mainlander can get three ambulances parked at their door in a matter of minutes for comprehensive, in home services. An islander cannot expect three ambulances at their door with the same scope of in home services. It is not the states or town's responsibility to provide equal service to each islander. This is also true for fire fighting and police protection. It is not reasonable to expect mainland-like quality of service. It would be cost prohibitive to try to attain equal services, IMO. The taxes paid do not guarantee equality. If they did, they would probably be 100x or more.

As was already stated, I would not expect the same scope of service for a broken leg if I was hiking in a remote area as I would on Main Street. What happens in January or February?

I believe that you accept this fact when you decide towards island life. I hope the women is fine and has a speedy recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
knittaplz (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Sue Doe-Nym

What was the island and on what part of the island did this emergency occur?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I thought all towns charged for an ambulance ride. I, fortunately, have never ridden in one, but family members have and we have always been charged.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
SIKSUKR

Thumbs down

Pretty uncalled for.I'm sure the hard working responders would not appreciate your humor.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Lakesrider

Not being humorous. Completely serious. Taking it right from the first posting. She made the Moultonborough Department sound like a bunch of ass clowns while touting the Tuftonboro department as being a professionally trained emergency squad, (so much so that she is more than happy enough to add in that she is so glad HER island is in Tuftonboro). Which I am certain they are. If I was a Moultonborough Fire Department or EMT person I would feel that this exemplifies how I was seen, now that such a posting, as the first one, is now on a local forum visited by people not from the area. A clown. A clown that "drops" women into chairs, can't run a Jon boat to save their lives, etc...Which is not the case as anyone whom has ever needed the Moultonborough Fire Department would know. Myself being one of them. I am not disrespecting either Department. More so showing what an unfair posting the first one was without all the facts. So things didn't go quite right that night. Is Tuftonboro without it's bad days as well or is Tuftonboro perfect? The webmaster can pull my pictures if he wants.....But maybe the first post which is highly disrespectful and accusatory, of the men and women who protect and serve us to be shown in such a bad light, should be taken down as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
wuwu (09-04-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I thought all towns charged for an ambulance ride. I, fortunately, have never ridden in one, but family members have and we have always been charged.
My source of info: Maybe one to two years ago, Argieswife, who was or is a member of the Alton School Committee mentioned in this forum that she was especially proud of the Town of Alton because it provided www.altonfire.org no-charge ambulance transport. Probably, this is just for Alton residents, as opposed to an outside visitor that gets into an automobile accident while in Alton, but I do not really know?

No-charge ambulance transport is probably a very uncommon local NH town practice. I know that in Meredith, the www.stewartsambulance.com will show up and provide medical treatment for free, but once they load you on-board one of their Mercedes Benz-Stewart's ambulances for a trip to the hospital, it will cost you some mega-big-big-bucks if you is un-insured.

So, how does this apply to the islands ........ help....help...help ... probably you is better off waving a canoe paddle around .....and jumping up and down ...... down the end of your dock.....and hitching a freebie ride from some passing motor-boater? For about 60-cents each or 2.40 total, you can get the four 3" high visibility letters H-E-L-P at Walmart and put them on a canoe paddle. You might be very surprised how well that method works for getting help with a capsized sailboat from a passing motorboat!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Chaselady

Quote:
Not being humorous. Completely serious. Taking it right from the first posting. She made the Moultonborough Department sound like a bunch of ass clowns while touting the Tuftonboro department as being a professionally trained emergency squad, (so much so that she is more than happy enough to add in that she is so glad HER island is in Tuftonboro). Which I am certain they are. If I was a Moultonborough Fire Department or EMT person I would feel that this exemplifies how I was seen, now that such a posting, as the first one, is now on a local forum visited by people not from the area. A clown. A clown that "drops" women into chairs, can't run a Jon boat to save their lives, etc...Which is not the case as anyone whom has ever needed the Moultonborough Fire Department would know. Myself being one of them. I am not disrespecting either Department. More so showing what an unfair posting the first one was without all the facts. So things didn't go quite right that night. Is Tuftonboro without it's bad days as well or is Tuftonboro perfect? The webmaster can pull my pictures if he wants.....But maybe the first post which is highly disrespectful and accusatory, of the men and women who protect and serve us to be shown in such a bad light, should be taken down as well.
Wow, someone is certainly turning this into a personal battle. I feel like this forum should allow for information freely given about life on the lake. As an islander, I think it's important to know what their expectations should be. As a person who spent a lifetime in critical care nursing, I would be the last person to " disrespect " first responders. But I also found it frightening to discover such limitations in services. And so did the numerous people who witnessed what happened that night.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #21
tis

Fll, I apologize, I read your post wrong. You said towns other than Alton DO charge for service and that is what I thought, although I didn't know for sure.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #22
dave603

Default one thing

Everyone here who happens to live out on one of the islands, and even those ashore needs to remember.
It's NOT always a good thing to move someone that's been hurt.
Depending on the injury, you could be causing more damage than you are helping. Sometimes even in a case of a broken leg, depending on how bad the break is. I've seen bones out in bad breaks. Moving those is tricky at times.

That's what first a responder is trained to access.
If this case had been a... let's say a back or neck injury, I'm sure they would NOT have thrown her into a jon boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
Everyone here who happens to live out on one of the islands, and even those ashore needs to remember.
It's NOT always a good thing to move someone that's been hurt.
Depending on the injury, you could be causing more damage than you are helping. Sometimes even in a case of a broken leg, depending on how bad the break is. I've seen bones out in bad breaks. Moving those is tricky at times.

That's what first a responder is trained to access.
If this case had been a... let's say a back or neck injury, I'm sure they would NOT have thrown her into a jon boat.
Thanks for clarifying that. I do know, it was late, MP was present to help for support, and it appeared to be a bad break.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #24
Coolbreeze

You are pretty ignorant for the post that bashes people who helped you...you should feel pretty low right now.
I have lived on a island for almost 40 years, I have experienced fires, medical emergencies, boat accidents even people falling through the ice in the winter during that time. Common sense has taught most island dwellers that any help from the mainland is a long time away. As islanders and neighbors, we have fought the brush fires, tended to the medical emergencies ourselves until the troops arrived. In several occasions we have met the ambulance at the town docks. If you live on an island and have a major emergency- plan on waiting for help. Question, was it the ambulance service that came or the fire department?
I am amazed that anyone who has ever lived on the island or in a rural area wouldn't already know this.
For everyone bashing the responders; instead of complaining about how the system didn't do for you, learn how to use the system. Most 911 operators will walk you through simple first aid. If you think transporting yourself is the safest way to go, then prepare for it even in your mind before the crisis arises. (Side note, a lawn chair is a great way to move a injured person. Remember the picture of the FDNY chaplain who was killed in the 9-11attacks, he was carried for several city blocks in a desk chair from an office. Kudos to the responders for that idea.)
I have come to the conclusion in my life while at the island, that if I have a heart attack- I am going to die. Simply put, any help from the mainland can't get to me within the golden hour. Any chance of my survival will come from the people who can render aid immediately- my neighbors and family members.
It isn't going to be the first responders; it is foolish to think otherwise.
The same fact holds true if my island house catches fire... plan on it burning to the ground. A garden hose won't stop a cottage on fire.
In a life medical emergency, humans have a golden hour to get professional medical help in order to keep the upper hand of survival. A fire doubles in size every thirty seconds.
The reality of a response from 911: It takes an average of 5 minutes to take a 911 call and for the dispatcher to direct it to the right department. Add to that, the response time of the volunteer after being paged; seven minutes -at least- before the truck hits the road. Now we are into the call and responding in 12 minutes. Add to the time to get to the boat, don protective gear, get GPS coordinates, man the boat with enough help and motor out. Now add more time to find the dock without a street number... in the dark. In the case of the responding department they did pretty well in my book.
Not everything is as instantaneous in our lives as you would expect or want. Prepare yourself to be self-reliant in a crisis. Stop looking to bashing your neighbors who helped you and take some responsibility for your own survival.

Last edited by Coolbreeze; 09-03-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: grammar
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coolbreeze For This Useful Post:
knittaplz (09-03-2013), Lakegeezer (09-04-2013), Lakesrider (09-04-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (09-05-2013), Sue Doe-Nym (09-04-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
pcmc

OMG, CoolBreeze, I feel as though I have just been exposed to the true spirit of the NH motto, " LIVE FREE OR DIE". Bravo!

Imo it starts a tad strong. We can all voice our opinions, some come out in print well, some not. fine.

There are most likely two very different sides to this story. Hearing the side in need will never come across well.

What I find over the top is the post with the images. That is a public kick in the face to the entire department. If we were talking about a product that didn't perform as expected is one thing. Bashing people that did what had to do, with what they had to do it with, at 11PM at night. REALLY!

Why not everyone take a boat onto the lake, around midnight, pick a random island and walk around carrying a chair with 80lbs in it while looking graceful.

Imo, as someone said early on, hopefully the dept will view this and make a positive from it. What were the issues, what can help solve them, and how do they implement the equipment and ideas into service?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #26
wifi

Idea: Does your island association have AED(s)? Do you know where it is? Not the OPs original problem, but CB thought they would die, maybe not. I'm fortunate enough to know of one within 1000 feet of my house. Family members/friends would have no problems getting to it if needed.

Get a few, sprinkle around the island, on the neighbors front porches, for example. I'm not trying to create a debate point.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Dave R (09-04-2013), dave603 (09-04-2013), Happy Gourmand (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #27
dave603

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Idea: Does your island association have AED(s)? Do you know where it is? Not the OPs original problem, but CB thought they would die, maybe not. I'm fortunate enough to know of one within 1000 feet of my house. Family members/friends would have no problems getting to it if needed.

Get a few, sprinkle around the island, on the neighbors front porches, for example. I'm not trying to create a debate point.
This is the best thing to come from this thread so far.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
JDeere

Seems to me that no matter what a person posts there will always be a back lash. Had Chaselady posted that Moultonborough was the finest EMT's in NH I can guarantee someone would have written to counter that.....which is fine UNTIL people start to get nasty.

The facts from the witness was that the EMT's were not equipped to deal with the emergency...and unless her post was a total fabrication I am not sure how anyone can argue the veracity of that since they were not there.

MFD or better said the town of Moultonborough has plenty of tax dollars and islands/water on both Winni and Squam to deal with. Seems reasonable to question why they seems so ill prepared to deal with this emergency.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (09-04-2013), gillygirl (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
Lakesrider

I took the pictures out. Even though it was a close representation of the original posts descriptions.

Are you saying it is a fact they "grabbed" a woman, a fact that they "dropped her into a chair", a fact that they tried to start the engine 13 times? Really? She counted?.....Fact is this probably did not happen. And BTW it was never determined that Chaselady was actually standing there. Fact is that the original posting is disparaging and should never have been posted with the last sentence she put up. Fact is these better be facts, because I would be asking if that first posting was slanderous if they were not...
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
wuwu (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #30
wuwu

Default back lash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
Seems to me that no matter what a person posts there will always be a back lash. Had Chaselady posted that Moultonborough was the finest EMT's in NH I can guarantee someone would have written to counter that.....which is fine UNTIL people start to get nasty.

The facts from the witness was that the EMT's were not equipped to deal with the emergency...and unless her post was a total fabrication I am not sure how anyone can argue the veracity of that since they were not there.

MFD or better said the town of Moultonborough has plenty of tax dollars and islands/water on both Winni and Squam to deal with. Seems reasonable to question why they seems so ill prepared to deal with this emergency.
I somewhat agree with this JDeere, although, I would had hoped that the patient would have complained to either the Chief or BOS. We shouldn't forget that these men and women are volunteers, training on their own time, put themselves in harms way everytime they respond.
Did someone ask why the patient couldn't go to a certain hospital? Maybe the ER was extremely busy, or understaffed? Would she get the care needed at another hospital?
These are the questions to be ask at the time of the emergency.
We have used MFD many times, and they have been most courteous and professional.
I am proud to be a resident of Moultonborough, and very proud of our MFD!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #31
Coolbreeze

I was harsh with my opening comments and I do understand the urge to share such experiences through the use of public forums like this; but the frustration as I read the following posts adding to the bashing made me angry...nothing good was coming from it.
The more productive thing that could have been done prior to the opening of the post would be to contact the Chief of the department that responded to discuss the response. Some Chiefs will openly talk with you, others concerned for liability will offer a meeting with a town official. Air your concerns, listen to the Chiefs reply and find the opportunity for everyone to see the short comings and to improve them. Ask for a meeting maybe over a cup of coffee. Keep in mind during the discussion that challenging and being aggressive to the Chief will get you no where. You may find that this would be the more productive way to discuss/resolve the situation you had. The Chief will also educate you more on what to expect and how he/she on their end can improve the way things are to be handled in the future. Rather than beat the war drum on the forum first, educate yourself with what to expect if something should happen again... and IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN. If you don't get a favorable response from the officials, then it begin your campaign to get the publics support to change things via. the forum.
As Paul Harvey would say- Good Day
Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #32
secondcurve

Default How did it happen?

I am curious. How did the lady break her leg?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
windsail

Smile time

Just think how long you have to wait in the ER lol They do the best they can. Sometimes things like this make emergency squads try to find a way to do it better.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #34
DOWISLANDER

Chase Lady had all the facts exactly correct. No stretcher,no wheel chair and not able to operate a boat. Probably didn't have a NH boaters license? As an Islander the best option is get in your own boat and meet the responders on the mainland.
We keep an AED mounted outside our camp and everyone knows it's here.
Would like to see some way to get a better response from MFD but don't really know how best to accomplish that, these are the things you need to accept as an Island resident. ( wouldn't change living on the island for anything)
Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #35
hampfarms

I rarely write on the forum because I feel we should make individual decisions in the area based on our own experiences but this one has hit close to home. YES, us island people have made a conscious decision to live on an island and it does come with some inconveniences. Chaselady is quite accurate with what happened over the labor day weekend. Moultonborough has a year old fire/rescue boat that operates out of Lee's Mills. Last year there was another island person at my house that was having a potential heart attack (he survived one on island several years ago) after being taken to Lakes Region Hospital. I personally would of carried this man onto my boat and taken him to Pier 19 to be met by first responders but his family thought it best to call 911 and have them come to the island. Yes, the new boat came to our island and it took about 1 hour. I'm happy to say he did not have a heart attack but being we live on an island we do have an AED. Maybe being this island is so far from Lee's Mills we can have an agreement with Tuftonboro to be the responder. We are all grateful for the men and women that do respond in these unfortunate situations. Thank you Chaselady for starting this thread. Let's in a positive way try to make a difference that some day might save a life.
The Following User Says Thank You to hampfarms For This Useful Post:
lakefront (09-07-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #36
ITD

I've been reading this thread with interest. I am not an island resident but I think those of you who feel this is a problem, and it looks like it may be one to me, should approach the fire chief and the selectmen with your issues. I suggest a friendly, non accusatory approach, I can't for the life of me believe that a paid or volunteer firefighter or EMT wants to do anything but the best possible job, especially on a rescue mission like this. It sounds like these guys did the best they could with what they have, it sounds like they need help to make the service they provide better, either in equipment, or training or both. The best way to get that going is to make the issue known on an official level.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #37
HellRaZoR004

Some people have mentioned they have AED's, but do you know how to use them or the proper training?
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #38
songkrai

I took EMT training decades ago. At community college. I never became an EMT - just wanted to have knowledge/skills. The course is open to all.

Most cities/towns require all firefighters to be certified EMT's.

If you live on an island might be a good idea to set up a plan for such emergencies.

Might have been better/quicker to make a splint - then take injured to nearest main land dock - and have ambulance - waiting - to transport to hospital.

All island folk should have an emergency plan. If others on island - get together.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #39
Winnisquamguy

What island has the fire truck?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #40
fatlazyless

A couple years ago, the Meredith Fire Dept got two snowmobiles for getting out to the islands. Considering the Cattle Landing town dock now has ice-eaters in use on the right side of the dock to protect the two fiberglass, floating dock pylons on that side, as well as the third pylon down the front end, how would the snowmobiles get out onto the lake ice what with the open water in that spot?

Lovejoy Sands-Shep Brown's is mostly all open water as well?

Am not familiar with Y-Landing's snowmobile access?

Leavitt Beach, close to Center Harbor, probably has good snowmobile access, but it could be a long ride out to Bear Island or someplace.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #41
Lakesrider

"and not able to operate a boat. Probably didn't have a NH boaters license?"

And yet they made it to the correct Island, In the dark, at 11pm? Yeah they must be completely incompetent.

Still waiting to hear if Chaselady was actually there.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #42
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
What island has the fire truck?
I believe it is Sandy Island at the camp there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #43
Chaselady

Quote:
"and not able to operate a boat. Probably didn't have a NH boaters license?"

And yet they made it to the correct Island, In the dark, at 11pm? Yeah they must be completely incompetent.

Still waiting to hear if Chaselady was actually there.
I never said I was...
I had family members and friends there.
I don't appreciate you calling me a liar, and twisting my words .
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #44
flatlander02138

Default Easier for u transport to mainland and meet EMS

As a Firefighter it is hard to hear someone had such a bad experience or they had to wait an hour. However I also started my carreer as a small town volunteer Firefighter in NH and must defend them.

In a nutshell, you get what you pay for. If you want to pay for fulltime ALS certified firefighters to sit at the station between the two calls per day on average you can. If you want to have a fiberglass cuddy cabin rescue boat at every dock you can. The fact is that being a volunteer takes hundreds of hours of training and then hundreds more away from your family, doing calls and administrative crap.

So if ur loved one codes or breaks a leg I would call 911 and load them in a boat headed for the mainland ASAP (with a sober operator) to meet the ambulance. Thats what most people do.

Yes if you have a neck or spinal trauma suspected it may be best to shelter in place but most times getting to the main land speeds up service.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #45
Lakesrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
I never said I was...
I had family members and friends there.
I don't appreciate you calling me a liar, and twisting my words .
Good to know. You were not even there so your posting was hearsay. Therefore not facts because it is second hand. I don't appreciate you setting up a thread calling people incompetent from a second hand account...
There was no twisting of words. I used your words in quotations. Can't twist quotes. Maybe next time you tell a "Story" You will use facts, and not put in your own embellishments in order to make the story seem so much more sensational. It wasn't fair to the responders and it sets you up for a slander lawsuit as YOU put it in writing. We can keep going but, I used Your words and that IS a fact.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #46
Coolbreeze

Thank you lakesrider.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #47
secondcurve

Default Drinking

Is it true the lady who broke her leg was drunk? That is the story I heard. Thanks
Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #48
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Is it true the lady who broke her leg was drunk? That is the story I heard. Thanks
Are you trolling? I think Lakesrider summed it up pretty well with the following:

You were not even there, so your posting was hearsay.

Last edited by Pineedles; 09-05-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: corrected puncutation.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #49
Chaselady

This will be my last response to all of this nonsense. I NEVER stated in my thread that I was present at the episode on the island in Moultonboro last Friday.
I had a family member and friends report to me what happened and I felt it was important enough to post on the forum. I felt it was important for islanders to know what the issues are.
I also knew there were those on the forum who would take a personal affront and attack me in any way they could to attempt to discredit my account, as it was, truly secondhand. So I was in touch with people who actually witnessed the incident, on the island. They are forum members and added their input, and confirmed what I said, even though some people prefer to ignore that.
I have discovered there are two kinds of people who belong to forums...those that take the info, and do something positive with it...and those that wait to jump all over those that post any info, for whatever personal reasons they may have.
JDeere (09-08-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #50
DOWISLANDER

Hey Lakersider you have a pretty big mouth and a lot so big opinions I personally know what went on and Chaselady has all the facts 100% correct so why don't you do everyone a favor and keep your MOUTH Shut!!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DOWISLANDER For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-05-2013), Chaselady (09-05-2013), JDeere (09-08-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #51
Coolbreeze

Well wishes to the poor lady with the broken leg, they take a lot of time to heal.
my story of why you should be prepared;
4 years ago I encountered a similar situation. I was enjoying a spring whitewater rafting trip on the Lehigh River. At lunch as my wife and I were taking in the tranquility of the lunch break along the stoney banks of the river, a frantic scream and cry for "does anyone know CPR came the from group of 40 plus people who were all eating lunch at this point in the river. Professional guides, Kyackers from other groups and so on.
My wife looked at me as I tried to finish my sandwich. I pretend I didn't hear the call for help but It was hard to ignore the screams; my learned instincts kicked in naturally, as I am an active volunteer firefighter for 25 years got the better half of me.
So I wandered over to where the chaos was, my wife knew this was going to change the trips relaxing tone, and it did.
I saw this guy partially in the river unresponsive. I sized up the situation and asked the guide, who was standing there in shock of it all if he had a satellite phone to call for help. He looked at me with the expression like "why would I need one of those, I only carry ice packs and band aids" he told me. I sternly told the group of guides that they needed to get help now, what ever way they could.
I recall saying a few choice words to myself at that point as I pulled this wet, unresponsive man to a safer area to render aid when a petite woman announced to me that she too knew CPR, she brought a rescue mask in her travel bag so we went to work.
I did compressions for 1 hour and 18 minutes and the retired nurse who happened to be with the next group of rafters did rescue breathing until a park ranger arrived. He carried the AED and had radio contact with the medics who were making their way to where they thought we were.
What amazes me after the fact, is that out of the group of 40 rafters and 4 guides- nobody including the mans wife who just sat there next to us sobbing as he died, knew how to do CPR!
So the man died right there on the banks of the Lehigh river.
Some may wonder why we stayed with the compressions and breathing for so long? The lady and I knew he had expired. We continued because neither one of us were qualified nor did we want to pronounce him; nor were we exhausted enough to stop. Ok-skip past the drama of my experience; the guides who were supposed to be professionals never assisted us. They did not know what to do. So they watched. I expected more of the "professional" guides but they came up short. My point to you all is to take the course in CPR it is good to know. Someday you may be posting a message about saving someone on the island because you were prepared.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #52
Lakesrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOWISLANDER View Post
Hey Lakersider you have a pretty big mouth and a lot so big opinions I personally know what went on and Chaselady has all the facts 100% correct so why don't you do everyone a favor and keep your MOUTH Shut!!!!!
And therein lies the difference between you and me......At least I was civil.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #53
hampfarms

Thank you very much Coolbreeze for your post which was a positive helpful post. On the other hand Lakesider your posts since the beginning have been nothing but negative and attacking to Chaselady. Stop reading between the lines and re-read the posts. Chaselady was trying to make a point that we need to think how we can take care of ourselves and improve the 911 system to islanders. I personally did not look at it as bashing anybody. I happen to also know that 911 told the caller not to move the injured woman so that is why they did not put her in their own boat. Also, I believe the boat they are speaking of that came to their island is on a trailer in the Moultonborough fire dept building on Moultonborough Neck Road which means that somebody went to the firehouse picked/ hooked up the boat/trailer and then had to launch it at the ramp before coming to the rescue. If this turns out to be the case then that would be a system that probably could be improved. I would like to end this post saying "THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEN AND WOMEN THAT COME TO OUR RESCUE WHEN WE ARE IN NEED".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hampfarms For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-06-2013), Chaselady (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #54
tis

I always wonder why it is that people just love to seem to attack on the forums??? Why can't people discuss without attacks? Maybe sometimes we all post something that seems critical when maybe we don't mean it that way. I am not taking sides, just wondering…… I hate to argue on the forums. A little back and forth is fine, but not attacks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-06-2013), Chaselady (09-06-2013), JDeere (09-08-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #55
Lakesrider

"THANK YOU TO ALL THE MEN AND WOMEN THAT COME TO OUR RESCUE WHEN WE ARE IN NEED".
Exactly correct. And that first post was the negative post which did nothing to thank anyone for the rescue. So I will read things the way I want to and everyone else can read it the way they want to. This is America. That is the way it is supposed to be. I am reading it as if I was one of the rescuers. Go back and read it that way. You wouldn't like it if it were you. And since when can't someone disagree with anything. Ever read the Lobster Pound thread? So I guess when anything is posted here that doesn't sound right and is posted second hand about someone or something, I should just say Oky Doky? And go back and read ALL of my posts, chaselady. I am not one "your" people on a forum that goes around insulting peoples posts as you described me. Just this one. And I have never told anyone to "Shut your mouth" here. Instead of taking that approach to the issue maybe Mr. Dowislander should have told the story himself which never happened. That is my opinion. And I think EVERYONE needs to go back and read all of my posts on this whole subject. I don't think ANY of my posts were NASTY. AT ALL. I didn't insult anyone with statements like them not being able to run a boat or not having a license, Dropping someone, grabbing someone, 13 times with the motor, etc. Not until I found out and knew that it was hearsay. And still I was not Nasty. I simply disagreed with the way it posted... Read them....
So Like chaselady I am done with this thread. I can't wait to see how their meeting with the fire department goes and what comes from it.
EDIT:
This post was not in reference to TIS's post.

Last edited by Lakesrider; 09-06-2013 at 09:28 AM.