Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Pier Webcam Problems

They've been having internet and network problems at the Pier since Tuesday and it is affecting both the WeirsCAM and Flightcraft gas dock cameras. They have been up and down all week and currently everything has been offline since Friday afternoon.

They are trying to isolate the problem but so far without success. I'm trying to give them some suggestions through email but I may have to make a trip to the lake on Monday to help identify the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I know a LOT of people visit those webcams frequently.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
AkwaMarina

Default Alternative Cam

We have a live webcam that is in the same area sort of, for those needing to get a view of the area.

https://www.akwamarina.com/akwas-web-cam
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-16-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
webmaster

I just fixed the problem with the Flightcraft camera and was able to fix the WeirsCAM this weekend. Both cameras are now operating normally:

http://www.weirscam.com

https://flightcraft.lakehost.net/index.php/webcam/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-17-2019), upthesaukee (06-17-2019), Y2K (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
fatlazyless

You know that "stuck" photo of the Weirs Cam showed it as sunny, with nice weather with a good number of people on-board The Dive, there, so's could be better to just go with the "stuck" photo shot.

Yes ....... so how is business down there lately ...... why, business and the weather are both totally excellent ...... just check us out on the Weirs Cam ..... and thank you very much. ........ best, The Dive!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I just fixed the problem with the Flightcraft camera and was able to fix the WeirsCAM this weekend. Both cameras are now operating normally:

http://www.weirscam.com

https://flightcraft.lakehost.net/index.php/webcam/
Good work...thanks
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Island Girl

Default What was the problem?

We webbies like to know what can go wrong and how to fix it.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #7
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
We webbies like to know what can go wrong and how to fix it.
This might be TMI but here goes:

A combination of things caused the problems.

First, during the transition from Metrocast to Atlantic the static IPs that business customers had were changed. I don't know if it affected all customers but both Anchor Marine and the pier went offline (at different times). At Anchor Marine the router had to be restarted and the phone system and webcam's server adjusted before things started working again.

At the pier we had similar problems but even more complicated. First I lost all remote access to the pier's router and cameras. The staff at the pier doesn't have any IT experience but were able to disconnect and reconnect the power to the router. That reset the DNS and DDNS and gave me partial remote access so I could see what was going on. I could see that the system IP number and other DNS settings had changed and that my server was not allowing camera uploads from the new IP number. I fixed those problems and the WeirsCAM started working but I was still seeing some strange behavior and I couldn't access the Flightcraft camera at all.

Last Monday I took a trip up to the pier and discovered that someone had connected an old cheap 10/100 network switch into the network and had moved the webcams to the cheap switch. One of the ports on that switch was completely dead and the other ports were erratic. I bypassed that problem switch and everything started working normally.

The lesson here is to use higher quality equipment in a business installation that is unattended for most of the year. Using an old 10/100 switch that sells for under $10 was not a good idea. If these problems had developed in January it would probably have been a few months before I could access the equipment and get everything working again.

Also, Atlantic/Metrocast didn't seem to notify anyone that the system changes were coming. At least no one at Anchor Marine or the pier were aware of it. If we knew we could have been prepared for the changes.

Keeping the webcams running has been interesting at times but having remote access lets me fix most problems from home. It's hard to believe but the WeirsCAM has now been running for 20 years! Time flies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
smith point boater (06-25-2019), trfour (06-24-2019)