Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2023, 04:56 AM   #1
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts
Default Private flying

I'm curious if anybody on here has ever flown private to Florida from Laconia?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:34 AM   #2
8gv

If you mean via a private charter, no I have not.

Via a privately owned plane, I have done so several times.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:42 AM   #3
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
If you mean via a private charter, no I have not.

Via a privately owned plane, I have done so several times.
Yes, a private charter. Wow, you are very lucky!
Old 07-26-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
Riviera

Yes, many times. Very convenient.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:09 AM   #5
ITD

Yes, not a charter, I flew myself last February, back in April.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
Yes, many times. Very convenient.
Any information/advice you can give me?
Old 07-26-2023, 10:20 AM   #7
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Yes, not a charter, I flew myself last February, back in April.
Your own plane? Want company?
Old 07-26-2023, 10:34 AM   #8
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Your own plane? Want company?
Lol, rental, lot's of luggage for a long trip like this, so just me and my wife, sorry.
Old 07-26-2023, 11:03 AM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

There are several "larger" planes in and out of Laconia on weekends. Some companies will take additional passengers for a reasonable fee. Like th
e airlines, you are at the mercy of their schedule. Many full charter companies will come to Laconia, pick you and take you wherever. Price is often dependent on if they can get somebody at the other end so they are not flying empty.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:38 AM   #10
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
There are several "larger" planes in and out of Laconia on weekends. Some companies will take additional passengers for a reasonable fee. Like th
e airlines, you are at the mercy of their schedule. Many full charter companies will come to Laconia, pick you and take you wherever. Price is often dependent on if they can get somebody at the other end so they are not flying empty.
We see those planes. I wouldn't mind sharing. I have heard of that, I think they call it empty leg. I wouldn't mind that and we could be flexible. We went to the airport a couple years ago and asked but they didn't know any thing about it. Any ideas how you could find out?
Old 07-26-2023, 11:40 AM   #11
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Lol, rental, lot's of luggage for a long trip like this, so just me and my wife, sorry.
Oh darn. Well, I tried. If you get a bigger plane, let me know.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:55 PM   #12
Riviera

Quote:
Any information/advice you can give me?
Sure. I now fly my own plane to FL, but chartered or used a jet card for several years.

First, if you are only flying one way, or are staying for more than a day or two, you may have to pay for the flight back, even if you’re not on the plane. In some instances, you can find a charter where they sell the return leg.

Second, rates have skyrocketed since Covid. Not quite doubled, but close. That is beginning to subside, to some degree.

Round trip, (1 or 2 night stay) for a plane that could carry 6 passengers and enough fuel to get to FL, you are probably going to see a rate just north of $40,000. One way, assuming they can find somebody to take the return trip, you can expect to pay in the mid $20’s. This is for a plane similar to a Cessna Citation CJ3, which is considered a light jet. The flight would be +/- 3 hours to S Florida, depending on winds. Mid size or large jets are considerably more expensive.

If you are making the trip often, you can pre-buy hours through a company such as FlyExclusive. This probably reduces the costs by 10% - 20%, and there is no premium for one way flights, because they operate nationally.

If you were interested, you could call SkyBright at Laconia Airport, and they will seek quotes from charter companies on your behalf.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Riviera For This Useful Post:
tis (07-27-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 01:48 PM   #13
Descant

Quote:
We see those planes. I wouldn't mind sharing. I have heard of that, I think they call it empty leg. I wouldn't mind that and we could be flexible. We went to the airport a couple years ago and asked but they didn't know any thing about it. Any ideas how you could find out?
Riviera had some good input in post #12. You can Google "Airplane Ride Share" and get some places to shop. Laconia may be a sticking point due to low traffic volume, but you might just hit the jackpot, too. Good luck.

BTW, you may want to look at luggage shipping services as ride shares may have weight/luggage restrictions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
tis (07-27-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 01:54 PM   #14
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
Sure. I now fly my own plane to FL, but chartered or used a jet card for several years.

First, if you are only flying one way, or are staying for more than a day or two, you may have to pay for the flight back, even if you’re not on the plane. In some instances, you can find a charter where they sell the return leg.

Second, rates have skyrocketed since Covid. Not quite doubled, but close. That is beginning to subside, to some degree.

Round trip, (1 or 2 night stay) for a plane that could carry 6 passengers and enough fuel to get to FL, you are probably going to see a rate just north of $40,000. One way, assuming they can find somebody to take the return trip, you can expect to pay in the mid $20’s. This is for a plane similar to a Cessna Citation CJ3, which is considered a light jet. The flight would be +/- 3 hours to S Florida, depending on winds. Mid size or large jets are considerably more expensive.

If you are making the trip often, you can pre-buy hours through a company such as FlyExclusive. This probably reduces the costs by 10% - 20%, and there is no premium for one way flights, because they operate nationally.

If you were interested, you could call SkyBright at Laconia Airport, and they will seek quotes from charter companies on your behalf.
Thank you. I appreciate the info. We would make the trip twice-down in the fall and back here in the spring. It might be hard to get somebody to take the return trip. I assume if it seats 6 they might try to find another couple to go with you? Do they allow little dogs and do they have to stay in the carriers?
Old 07-26-2023, 01:56 PM   #15
tis

Quote:
Riviera had some good input in post #12. You can Google "Airplane Ride Share" and get some places to shop. Laconia may be a sticking point due to low traffic volume, but you might just hit the jackpot, too. Good luck.

BTW, you may want to look at luggage shipping services as ride shares may have weight/luggage restrictions.
Thank you. I will look at that.
Old 07-26-2023, 08:55 PM   #16
Islandbum

There’s a bunch of companies online. Check ‘em all
25 k from Laconia to Ft. Lauderdale private airport. It’s awesome. They wait for you, drive right up to plane and unload luggage then park. All employees of Laconia airport are great, the FOB is so so compared to most.
We have quarter share of a Pilatus PC 12 turboprop. Nj to Nh ,mass,Virginia about an hour. Arrive late no problem. Can land pretty much anywhere, anytime.lots of airports don’t let jets land after 9 or 10 pm. We even landed on a grass runway at buddies house. Now that was a hoot. All pilots could talk about was their first grass strip landing. I could go on and on. Spend the money do it. We only live once and longevity is not definite. Oh and pilatus rocks.
Islandbum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Islandbum For This Useful Post:
tis (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 04:22 AM   #17
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandbum View Post
There’s a bunch of companies online. Check ‘em all
25 k from Laconia to Ft. Lauderdale private airport. It’s awesome. They wait for you, drive right up to plane and unload luggage then park. All employees of Laconia airport are great, the FOB is so so compared to most.
We have quarter share of a Pilatus PC 12 turboprop. Nj to Nh ,mass,Virginia about an hour. Arrive late no problem. Can land pretty much anywhere, anytime.lots of airports don’t let jets land after 9 or 10 pm. We even landed on a grass runway at buddies house. Now that was a hoot. All pilots could talk about was their first grass strip landing. I could go on and on. Spend the money do it. We only live once and longevity is not definite. Oh and pilatus rocks.
I would think to buy shares you would fly more than twice a year to make it worth it, right?
Old 07-27-2023, 04:49 AM   #18
pjard

I am in this business. Some of my customers are these charter companies. Trust me, you are getting alot or simply incorrect information. I would start by calling Atlas Air over in Portsmouth NH. (I don't work for them or have any financial interest). They manage and operate several PC-12's and I'm sure would be happy to give you a quote. They are the blue colored, single engine turbo prop you see in Laconia quite often.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 04:57 AM   #19
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
I am in this business. Some of my customers are these charter companies. Trust me, you are getting alot or simply incorrect information. I would start by calling Atlas Air over in Portsmouth NH. (I don't work for them or have any financial interest). They manage and operate several PC-12's and I'm sure would be happy to give you a quote. They are the blue colored, single engine turbo prop you see in Laconia quite often.
Thank you for the name. I am looking at all options. Can you tell me what is incorrect? If you'd rather, you could pm me. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2023, 04:59 AM   #20
ApS

Default ...And Wolfeboro to California...

Quote:
I'm curious if anybody on here has ever flown private to Florida from Laconia?
No, but I had to walk uphill about 400-feet to fly to Florida from Wolfeboro!

To charter a floatplane from my Florida lakefront to my Florida oceanfront one-way was "only" $2500 (door-to-door, as it were). By air, I would have saved about three hours, but would cost me $2400. (And no car upon arrival).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 06:35 AM   #21
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
No, but I had to walk uphill about 400-feet to fly to Florida from Wolfeboro!

To charter a floatplane from my Florida lakefront to my Florida oceanfront one-way was "only" $2500 (door-to-door, as it were). By air, I would have saved about three hours, but would cost me $2400. (And no car upon arrival).
Haha, that's true. What an easy commute! You should have done it!
Old 07-27-2023, 06:21 PM   #22
NH.Solar

I suggest calling Dave Emerson, our ice out guru. No one knows about air travel in this area better than he would
Old 07-27-2023, 06:33 PM   #23
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Spoiled

I hired a private charter flight out of Miami Executive airport to Georgetown Exuma last year due to a snowstorm in Boston and missing my connecting flight in Miami….man, did I get spoiled! What a difference when you fly private charter!! When we landed we went through a “special” customs area where the agents are actually very nice! No lines no waiting…. It wasn’t cheap but in this instance well worth it!!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 08-29-2023 at 08:57 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
pjard (07-28-2023), tis (07-28-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 08:57 PM   #24
Cobalt 12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I hired a private charter flight out of Ft Lauderdale Executive airport to Georgetown Exuma last year due to a snowstorm in Boston and missing my connecting flight in Miami….man, did I get spoiled! What a difference when you fly private charter!! When we landed we went through a “special” customs area where the agents are actually very nice! No lines no waiting…. It wasn’t cheap but in this instance well worth it!!

Dan
Dan, is there anything you haven't done. I'm asking in a very polite and jealous way.
Cobalt 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 10:21 PM   #25
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 View Post
Dan, is there anything you haven't done. I'm asking in a very polite and jealous way.
Oh I still have a few things on my bucket list to check off! Lol!

I have never been to the Italian Farmhouse restaurant but will check that off on Monday! Hope it’s good!

Dan
Old 07-28-2023, 06:16 AM   #26
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

On August 26th I am flying from Laconia to Martha's Vineyard on a private airplane. For free!

My flying instructor from when I got a Private Pilot's License in 1996 became a friend and has access to an airplane he can use anytime, including fuel, for free. He is dropping me off for a few days and then picking me up for the return to Laconia.

That is way easier and much quicker than taking the ferry. We have done it before, it takes about 45 minutes.

Sort of private flying but I don't think it qualifies for the points!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:54 AM   #27
fatlazyless

Driving directions google has a drive from Laconia NH to Nantucket Island, MA via I-93 S at 193 miles and 5 hr 18 min. It also has two red alerts ...... This route has tolls ...... This route includes a ferry ..... so, knowing this makes a 45-minute flight worth at least twice the free price ..... definitely, the way to go.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:04 AM   #28
Cobalt 12
Banned

Quote:
Oh I still have a few things on my bucket list to check off! Lol!

I have never been to the Italian Farmhouse restaurant but will check that off on Monday! Hope it’s good!

Dan
Ask them to make you the " Lobster Ravioli " Probably not on the menu now, but they will prepare it on request. Delicious! At least they have in the past.
Cobalt 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt 12 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 08:02 PM   #29
dickiej

Got stuck in Reykjavik Iceland about 10 years ago coming back from Paris…missed connecting flight to Logan….called Netjets for quote on getting back to Boston…$14,000!!!. We waited 24 hours for next evening flight from IcelandAir.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:08 PM   #30
ApS

Thumbs up Somebody's Doing It...

A single engine DeHavilland turbine floatplane landed in the middle of Winter Harbor late this afternoon. The engine was shut off.

A blue and white Cobalt I/O went to meet them, approaching from the NW. After several minutes, passengers stepped off the floatplane and were helped into the boat. The boat headed NW--out of sight. Two on the floatplane then went for swim.

The floatplane later took off NW after an impressively short takeoff. The entire episode took maybe 25 minutes.

Large letters embossed the name WHITE on both sides. No tail identification could be made out, although there was something there, perhaps only three letters long.

A friend suggested the incident was related to the Marriott compound--and I think he's correct.

This WHITE floatplane may be the answer to a quick weekend for some of us!

Old 08-25-2023, 04:25 AM   #31
tis

NW out in the broads?
Old 08-25-2023, 04:51 AM   #32
ApS

Question Where? Unknown...

Both exited Winter Harbor towards the Broads.

Thick forest obscured their destinations, but the boat could have docked among Marriotts' properties on Tuftonboro Neck.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
tis (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:51 AM   #33
ITD

Incident?? I would call that an event.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (08-26-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 03:20 AM   #34
ApS

Cool TradeWind Operates To The Bahamas...

One of TradeWind bases is Palm Beach, Florida, and operates a speedy Swiss-made Pilatus prop plane. Their website shows their three-hour range takes you to New Jersey. Only because they ask for my overworked email address I didn't inquire further.

https://www.flytradewind.com/northea...hoC6jcQAvD_BwE

Quote:
Swiss-built Pilatus PC-12 features a pressurized cabin, air-conditioning, and comfortable seating for eight passengers with a full complement of luggage.
Their ten-hour card costs $4,950. So far, this is the most "reasonably-priced" air charter I've stumbled upon.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:15 AM   #35
tis

Quote:
One of TradeWind bases is Palm Beach, Florida, and operates a speedy Swiss-made Pilatus prop plane. Their website shows their three-hour range takes you to New Jersey. Only because they ask for my overworked email address I didn't inquire further.

Their ten-hour card costs $4,950. So far, this is the most "reasonably-priced" air charter I've stumbled upon.
WOW, does that mean for 10 hours it's only $4950? I hate to sound stupid but that's really cheap.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:09 AM   #36
Patiently Watching

$4950 per hour…
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patiently Watching For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 07:21 AM   #37
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
$4950 per hour…
Even that would be cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-30-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 08:16 AM   #38
ishoot308

Quote:

That is really cheap! Too good to be true in my opinion...

In February of 2022, we missed a connecting flight in Miami with no chance of a reconnect for 4 days due a snowstorm in Boston. I decided to fly private through Paramount Business Jets so as not to ruin a vacation for a lot of friends and family... it cost me $11,000.00 with gratuity for a one way 1 hour 5 minute flight from Miami Executive Airport to Georgetown, Exuma airport utilizing a Pilatus prop plane which is actually a very nice plane! You do get charged for their return flight whether you are on it or not when flying private charter. So that would be a 2 hour 10 minute charge of flight time of at roughly $5,000.00 per hour.

That cost you quoted must be per hour of flight time because at the approximate $500.00 per hour you quoted is almost cheaper than flying commercial....something is not right there...

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 08-29-2023 at 09:31 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:45 AM   #39
Descant

Default Passengers?

Dan, How many passengers for that $5000 per hour?
Old 08-29-2023, 09:52 AM   #40
ishoot308

Quote:
Dan, How many passengers for that $5000 per hour?
There were 7 passengers in total... I don't think passenger count matters when pricing as long as you don't exceed seating capacity as you are chartering the entire plane. I believe the Pilatus held 8 maybe 10 passengers max if im not mistaken. I'm sure that price has gone up since then as well...

Here's the actual plane on flightaware.... https://www.flightaware.com/resource...tration/N101JE

Dan
Old 08-29-2023, 10:55 AM   #41
Patiently Watching

Dan; $4950 per hour NOT $495 per hour
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 11:20 AM   #42
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiently Watching View Post
Dan; $4950 per hour NOT $495 per hour
Yes I agree…what I was quoting was APS post where he said a 10 hour flight card was $4950.00 or $495.00 per hour. I agree it has to be $4950.00 per hour….

Dan
Old 08-30-2023, 03:26 AM   #43
ApS

Wink "Trade" Wind

Quote:
Yes I agree…what I was quoting was APS post where he said a 10 hour flight card was $4950.00 or $495.00 per hour. I agree it has to be $4950.00 per hour….

Dan
Even after flying tens of thousands of miles, 'not sure what a "flight card" is. I merely copied TradeWind text when it came to dollars.

Eight paid-up passengers? One passenger?

Trade for antique furniture?
Old 08-30-2023, 07:34 AM   #44
ishoot308

Quote:
Even after flying tens of thousands of miles, 'not sure what a "flight card" is. I merely copied TradeWind text when it came to dollars.
From what I understand, a Flight Card is basically a prepaid credit card for private jet charter hours. I'm sure there are many different types, some and probably most are only good for one person...I have only flown private once (above my pay grade) so I really have no clue but here is a link that kind of explains it...

https://www.paramountbusinessjets.co...t-are-benefits

Dan