Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
Sam603

Default Simrad GO7

I considering having a Simrad GO7 with transducer installed in my boat, it would be a mount on top of the dash. Has anyone used this model for the lake? The unit itself is about $800 ready to go with the lake chip. Installation is $175. Any thoughts good or bad appreciated thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Sam603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Downeast

Cant go wrong with simrad.. nowadays all of them work well. Tech has come a very long way. Not sure what u are upgrading from but a 7" is the minimum practical size. fiddling with anything smaller while underway is a chore

What are u putting it on? What is your primary application ?

I personally have not installed these go series here on the lake as most that are after the fish use Low. Or Humm. Most Everyone else has garmin or ray. Nobody this far inland uses furuno .. Nowadays, all brands are very powerful and the charts basically all have the same data
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Sam603

This would be my first GPS for the boat being used mostly to get into less traveled areas of the lake. This is only my third season navigating the lake on my own with the use of maps only. Would you suggest something larger and maybe one of the other brands instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Sam603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
burgerunh

I would say that any 5" or 7" screen fishfinder / GPS combo with a Navionics chip will suit your needs just fine. Humminbird Helix 5 or 7 or Lowrance Hook 5 or 7 with the chip will definitely work.

West Marine is having a sale: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/hummi...58?recordNum=4

For navigation purposes only a 5" screen is sufficient. If you want to split the screen and run the fishfinder at the same time I wouldn't recommend less than a 7" screen.

That would work nicely for you. A lot less dough than the Simrad unit.

Of course if money is no object...Go nuts and buy the latest and greatest!
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
kawishiwi

Default Small Helix...not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
I would say that any 5" or 7" screen fishfinder / GPS combo with a Navionics chip will suit your needs just fine. Humminbird Helix 5 or 7 or Lowrance Hook 5 or 7 with the chip will definitely work.

West Marine is having a sale: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/hummi...58?recordNum=4

For navigation purposes only a 5" screen is sufficient. If you want to split the screen and run the fishfinder at the same time I wouldn't recommend less than a 7" screen.

That would work nicely for you. A lot less dough than the Simrad unit.

Of course if money is no object...Go nuts and buy the latest and greatest!
I have a 7" Humminbird Helix that is almost unusable due to very low quality, sticking buttons. Helix 10 is fine. My old 5" Lowrance was better than its replacement Helix 7.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
Downeast

I personally have a nee helix 5 and it is small, but my boat is very small. The value was there.

The Garmin echomap Cv series is affordable. I recently ordered two from matt at supreme marine , both were sv (no transducer)

If you want to upgrade in the future, than you will want to consider a full blown mfd. (multifunction display) these have integrated network hubs and nmea 2000. They will support peripherals such as radar, cameras, heading sensors, wifi control, very fast screen response (ipad fast) .. they start at $1000

The garmin echomap, the raymarine dragonfly, the garmin striker, lowrance elite and helix are similar non mfd but they do all have quality bottom capabilities 350-900

The next level are MFD's and they would be the humminbird solix, the raymarine axiom and the garmin xsv series. Basically they are 1000 and up

matt resca at supreme marine is a garmin dealer

Hope this helps -nick

Simrad, lowrance and bng are under the navico umbrella
Garmin owns navionics cartography. And raymarine is local in nashua and part of Flir
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #7
Cow Man

Default Simrad G07

I am taking delivery of a new boat in June 2022. The boat comes equipped with a Simrad G07 XSR preloaded with CMAP Discover Charts. Is this the best set up for GPS navigation on the big lake? I have Bizer paper charts and understand that they have some licensed products with various GPS chart vendors. Is CMAP using Bizer supplied data in its Discover Charts?
I can't find an email address for Bizer to ask them these questions and thank you for any assistance!
Cow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:58 AM   #8
Rich

I found his email address on the Bizer website: www.Bizer.com

email: map2020@bizer.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Cow Man (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #9
codeman671

Try Stewart@bizer.com
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post: