Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Phantom

Default Speed Traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I watched a trooper come literally within inches of his life when he walked from the breakdown lane into the right travel lane of I-93 to yell and point at a speeding vehicle in the left lane. There were 2 cars bearing down on him in the right lane, me (towing a trailer) and the car in front of me. The car in front of me was able to stop with inches to spare, and I came damn close to rear-ending the car. That in itself would have caused the car to hit the trooper. Just plain stupid on the troopers part.
I thought it innapropriate to post this in it's original thread as it had / has nothing to do with the original topic, but the event got me "hot" enough that I write this post ...... perhaps we can drag the specific debate over here.

In the course of my job, I am on the road almost every day and travel throughtout the six New England States. I am appalled and amazed always that both Mass and New Hampshire allow (and probably teach) their troopers the practice of "Stepping into a highway to flag an offender over". A gutsy move at best, yet they treat it as if they are invincible. I have NEVER witnessed this in any other state -- all others are "in" their cruisers, typically parralell or perpendicular to oncoming traffic.

As with chip (quoted above) I have personally witnessed too many "close calls".

What are they thinking??
Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation I notice this practice

lately and I'm beginning to wonder if the troopers can pull you over because of the 'move over' law passed last year. I have not seen them do so.

I narrowly miss a trooper who was hiding in the corner of 106. He was standing right out on the road on this side of the white line! It was scary. I was spooked and yank my wheel to the right. I'm amazed he did not think much of it and continued training his laser gun down the road.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 03-26-2010 at 10:45 PM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default not uncommon

I have seen the speed traps in MA, NH, ME, CT, NY, PA, and several other states in my driving around the country. Some involved just a single officer, and others were one officer with a radar gun, and the others up the road from the radar unit to pull over the offenders.

Not rare in my opinion. However, stepping out into traffic and then complaining about a car coming close is somewhat like playing with a gun and then finding out it is indeed loaded.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
bigdog

Default Speed Traps

I think we are seeing more 'speed traps' in cities, towns, and State highways, because revenues are down all-over, and they're looking for every potential source of income they can squeeze.

Not that the L.E.O. are abusing the systen, or going outside the law,
but don't dare go 1MPH over the speed limit !

BD

Last edited by bigdog; 03-26-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: grammar
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
wifi

Default Not far from the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I think we are seeing more 'speed traps' in cities, towns, and State highways, because revenues are down all-over, and they're looking for every potential source of income they can squeeze.

Not that the L.E.O. are abusing the systen, or going outside the law,
but don't dare go 1MPH over the speed limit !

BD
as evidenced by this article
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Lucky1

Have a friend who lives on the far end of Redding Lane. REDDING LANE IS A SPEED TRAP FOR SURE!! There is often a police officer who will park his cruiser in the brush at the bottom of the hill ones goes down just past the entrance to Krainwood. One has to brake hard to not go above 30 MPH and they pull you over and say you were going 40 MPH. So you have to brake fast! I do not think this is the way the law was meant to be used but since I know of the speed trap, I am careful there. Advise others to do the same.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Phantom

Well -- already this is spreading from my original intent. Speed Traps are speed traps..... been around forever in one form or another.

My serious issue is the not so uncommon (training?) parctice -- in what seems to be only MA and NH of an officer WALKING (sometimes sprinting) out onto one , sometimes as much as two lanes of a highway to point with bravado & authority at a particular vehicle - pointing at that vehicle and then the shoulder in an attempt to get him to pull over. It actually makes me want to laugh sometime- like, where's the puddle in the road when you need it? (but then again I do have a sick sense of humor).

First of all, the LEO (as you all seem to refer to him) is placing himself into a position as a roadway hazard as well as personal danger. btw,what happens if someone not paying attention (i.e. texting) does unfortunately hit him?

Second, and the part I like most, what is a driver expected to do? SLAM on the brakes and park? If truely they are over the speed limit on a highway it will take them a minimum of 1/2 mile to safely slow down/change lanes- don't forget your signal/and pull into the shoulder.

My original beef and point is the practice itself -- MA & NH must be told (shown) in training how to impliment this type of stop. A practice that I personnally think is ludicrous.

I have no issues with the LEO in a car, or even standing in front or beside the car with the lazer gun -- my issue is simply the practice of walking into active lanes of traffic.

This, by the way has nothing to do with that same practice being used on the side of a secondary road where there is only one or two lanes and the posted speeds are MUCH lower.

Believe me, with the amount of traveling I've done, I have my fair share of speeding tickets(and I deserved them) -- It's not the issue of a "trap" that ire's me -- it's this particular implimentation
Old 03-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Tired of Waiting

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
lately and I'm beginning to wonder if the troopers can pull you over because of the 'move over' law passed last year.
If they don't have their flashers on then they are not an emergency vehicle. No move over required. So if they have a speed trap and are not running their flasher bar then you don't have to move over any more than any other car that is in the break down lane. You only need to exercise the normal caution you always do.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-29-2010), LIforrelaxin (07-19-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Well -- already this is spreading from my original intent. Speed Traps are speed traps..... been around forever in one form or another.

My serious issue is the not so uncommon (training?) parctice -- in what seems to be only MA and NH of an officer WALKING (sometimes sprinting) out onto one , sometimes as much as two lanes of a highway to point with bravado & authority at a particular vehicle - pointing at that vehicle and then the shoulder in an attempt to get him to pull over. It actually makes me want to laugh sometime- like, where's the puddle in the road when you need it? (but then again I do have a sick sense of humor).

First of all, the LEO (as you all seem to refer to him) is placing himself into a position as a roadway hazard as well as personal danger. btw,what happens if someone not paying attention (i.e. texting) does unfortunately hit him?

Second, and the part I like most, what is a driver expected to do? SLAM on the brakes and park? If truely they are over the speed limit on a highway it will take them a minimum of 1/2 mile to safely slow down/change lanes- don't forget your signal/and pull into the shoulder.

My original beef and point is the practice itself -- MA & NH must be told (shown) in training how to impliment this type of stop. A practice that I personnally think is ludicrous.

I have no issues with the LEO in a car, or even standing in front or beside the car with the lazer gun -- my issue is simply the practice of walking into active lanes of traffic.

This, by the way has nothing to do with that same practice being used on the side of a secondary road where there is only one or two lanes and the posted speeds are MUCH lower.

Believe me, with the amount of traveling I've done, I have my fair share of speeding tickets(and I deserved them) -- It's not the issue of a "trap" that ire's me -- it's this particular implimentation
I am with ya 100% Phantom. IMO, speed traps are a necessary evil. However it is the way the speed traps are sometimes conducted by the officer that drives me bananas. When they step out onto the roadway, that is just plain dangerous-and stupid.

On 93 north at the MA/NH border in Salem on this past Friday (a very heavily traveled stretch of road, and is particularly busy on Friday afternoons), there was a cruiser sitting in the median cross-over. Now I don't think he was running a speed trap, because if he was, he would have been there for 6 years without seeing a speeding car. Why? Well because just the site of the cruiser has vehicles slowing to 10+ MPH below the speed limit. It was creating havoc. If he was just there to turn around, then he should have driven the extra 200 yards south to the Rt 213 interchange rather thin risk causing an accident. The same thing happens at most of the median cross-overs, with or without a cruiser present.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
hancoveguy

Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
If they don't have their flashers on then they are not an emergency vehicle. No move over required. So if they have a speed trap and are not running their flasher bar then you don't have to move over any more than any other car that is in the break down lane. You only need to exercise the normal caution you always do.

ToW
You are correct Sir. However, as a former tractor trailer driver and current police officer, it is absolutely the smart thing to "move over" anyway. If the vehicle in the breakdown lane pulls out, opens its door etc you will be technically not in violation of any law but definitely worse off than just a ticket. If you ever watch tractor trailers (professional drivers) when there is a vehicle (any vehicle) in the BDL they instinctively move over to a safe lane. Is it required? NO. Is it the smartest, most courteous thing to do? YES.

Just my .02 cents
HCG

BTW- the move over law extends beyond emergency vehicles. It includes anything with amber strobes as well i.e., construction, tow and maintenance vehicles.
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hancoveguy For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-19-2010), Pepper (03-30-2010), SteveA (03-29-2010), trfour (03-29-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
You are correct Sir. However, as a former tractor trailer driver and current police officer, it is absolutely the smart thing to "move over" anyway. If the vehicle in the breakdown lane pulls out, opens its door etc you will be technically not in violation of any law but definitely worse off than just a ticket. If you ever watch tractor trailers (professional drivers) when there is a vehicle (any vehicle) in the BDL they instinctively move over to a safe lane. Is it required? NO. Is it the smartest, most courteous thing to do? YES.

Just my .02 cents
HCG

BTW- the move over law extends beyond emergency vehicles. It includes anything with amber strobes as well i.e., construction, tow and maintenance vehicles.
I agree. I always move over if possible, whether they have flashers on or not. It's just smart.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Phantom

Quote:

On 93 north at the MA/NH border in Salem on this past Friday (a very heavily traveled stretch of road, and is particularly busy on Friday afternoons), there was a cruiser sitting in the median cross-over. Now I don't think he was running a speed trap, because if he was, he would have been there for 6 years without seeing a speeding car. Why? Well because just the site of the cruiser has vehicles slowing to 10+ MPH below the speed limit. .
Chip

Actually I do understand exactly that tactic --- it's called "being visible" as you said in your own post all cars slow down because they see him.. Thus he has accomplished exactly the purpose sought.

I happen to travel very frequently from Ma to NH on Rte3 -- the same "being present" it deployed there as well.

And do not forget that the officers are mandated to take breaks from driving!! A lot of those times when they do - it will be two fold (1) a rest from driving their sector and (2) be visible.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #13
wifi

Default A safer method

with no life/safety hazards and no overtime

Last edited by wifi; 03-30-2010 at 03:25 AM.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Chip

Actually I do understand exactly that tactic --- it's called "being visible" as you said in your own post all cars slow down because they see him.. Thus he has accomplished exactly the purpose sought.

I happen to travel very frequently from Ma to NH on Rte3 -- the same "being present" it deployed there as well.

And do not forget that the officers are mandated to take breaks from driving!! A lot of those times when they do - it will be two fold (1) a rest from driving their sector and (2) be visible.
Oh believe me, I understand it as well. I just think that being there during rush hour on a Friday afternoon...when it is already very congested...is unwise. This past Friday, traffic was moving between 55-60 in that stretch. Of course you come up on the trooper, and all of a sudden you see brake lights and you are down to 40 MPH. In this case, IMO he is likely to cause an accident (rear-ender).
Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Tired of Waiting

Default We concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post

Just my .02 cents
HCG

You're right. That is why I ended my post with "You only need to exercise the normal caution you always do." That was in reference to a car in the BDL. You should always use caution around them and move over if you can. But there is no law that states you have to. That was my point.

Good add with your BTW. Yes any veichle with amber or blue flashers must be moved over for.
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #16
trfour

More on speed traps. http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic..._073&GT1=22013

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I noticed in the police report in the Meredith News a while back that the Meredith PD had 33 traffic stops for the week but only two tickets. All the rest were warnings. An expesive ticket can mean a bill doesn't get paid that week for lots of folks and I congratulate the chief for giving people a break for minor infractions....especially in this economy. I'm sure the two that got written up deserved it.
SAMIAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #18
Sunrise Point

Default Warnings work!

My husband received a warning from a very young, courteous and very professional Meredith police officer several years ago for traveling too fast on Waukewan Street in Meredith. He now observes the speed limit without fail.

BTW, this was not a "speed trap", but my husband and the officer were traveling in opposite directions. The officer did a quick calculation and came up with a pretty accurate estimate of my husband's speed.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #19
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
BTW, this was not a "speed trap", but my husband and the officer were traveling in opposite directions. The officer did a quick calculation and came up with a pretty accurate estimate of my husband's speed.
It was no doubt what is termed "forward facing radar" ...... I am no familiar with the details of the Merideth cruisers but in many of our local towns the officer driving in a cruiser has both forward and rear facing radar units built into the vehicles front annd rear dashboards. A simple flick of the switch changes from front to rear collection.

This is no doubt what your husband encountered.
Sunrise Point (04-20-2010)
Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #20
jmen24

Quote:
It was no doubt what is termed "forward facing radar" ...... I am no familiar with the details of the Merideth cruisers but in many of our local towns the officer driving in a cruiser has both forward and rear facing radar units built into the vehicles front annd rear dashboards. A simple flick of the switch changes from front to rear collection.

This is no doubt what your husband encountered.
And the equipment does the calculation based on the cruisers speed against the zapped vehicle. The readout on the ones I have seen actually show the cruisers travel speed right next to the offenders speed. Its all tied together.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #21
hancoveguy

Default fines vs warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I noticed in the police report in the Meredith News a while back that the Meredith PD had 33 traffic stops for the week but only two tickets. All the rest were warnings. An expesive ticket can mean a bill doesn't get paid that week for lots of folks and I congratulate the chief for giving people a break for minor infractions....especially in this economy. I'm sure the two that got written up deserved it.

I agree with 90% of this post with one exception. It is not the chief or any chief that determines who gets warnings or money fines etc, it is the officer on the stop. Because quotas are illegal and to my knowledge not used in any dept I know of, the officer on the stop has the sole discretion as to what the outcome of the stop will be. Many dept's have policies about "preferred responses" but they are not binding nor enforceable. Again I agree with most of this post, a warning, be it written or verbal, serves the purpose in 99% of all stops. A money fine is reserved for serious issues and repeat offenders that don't get the message. As a police officer, I refuse to be an agent for the insurance company (because as we know the insurance company is the only one that wins when someone gets a large ticket).

A senior officer once rationalized it like this-
When you pull someone over, regardless of the outcome, ticket, warning etc, it is a huge issue for them. It is more than likely all they talk about all day long. They tell all their friends and family about how they got stopped today. This tells me that the incident left a meaningful impact on them and, chances are, they will remember it AND THE REASON for the stop in the first place ie, speeding etc, for some time. You have now done your job and served your purpose as a police officer. However, as a police officer that makes literally 20-50 "routine stops" per week they all run together and we forget what a large impact the stop has on a normal person. In other words, you don't need to ruin someones day with a money fine to do your job...

Again, just my .02 cents
HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hancoveguy For This Useful Post:
DRH (04-23-2010), Gatto Nero (04-21-2010), Pepper (04-22-2010), Ryan (04-21-2010), Sunbeam lodge (04-21-2010), Sunrise Point (04-20-2010)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

You are my kind of cop, hangcoveguy! We need more like you!

Last year we were going through Emporia, VA. and got stopped for doing 76 in a 65. We actually thought it was 70 in that area, but it wasn't. Anyway, he gave us a ticket which was $55. but administratives fees were 61$ so the ticket was $116.

We were surprised as we didn't think it was that unreasonable for the highway and it was a straight stretch, but we WERE speeding. (I wasn't driving but it was the first ticket for my better half in probably twenty years.)

After the cop thanks us for being so nice. I was very surprised at that.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #23
hilltopper

Default Careful cruising into the tolls...

I received a ticket two years ago coming into the Concord tolls. A $200 ticket. How many people do you see slow down to 35 MPH a good quarter mile before the tolls as the speed limit signs instruct you to? I told the officer I'd get run over if I did the speed limit but he didn't seem to care. Been driving for 19 years and this was my 2nd ticket. I'm still shaking my head about that one.
hilltopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #24
trfour

When approaching toll booths, there's not much room for error.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...idents&spell=1

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
The Real BigGuy

Default Speed Traps

In the late 70's I lived in Belgium for a while. I was driving down one of their country roads - the ones that have 20 foot tall hedge rows on either side - and about 50 yards ahead a person wearing a shoulder to foot bright orange coat steps into the roadway and points to the side of the road with his right hand. His left hand was securely attahced to the pistol grip of a submachine gun strapped across his chest. He was a member of the Federal Police and wasn't stopping me for speeding - he wanted to check my "papers."

A LEO stepping out and waving me over for speeding is so much less exciting.
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #26
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
I received a ticket two years ago coming into the Concord tolls. A $200 ticket. How many people do you see slow down to 35 MPH a good quarter mile before the tolls as the speed limit signs instruct you to? I told the officer I'd get run over if I did the speed limit but he didn't seem to care. Been driving for 19 years and this was my 2nd ticket. I'm still shaking my head about that one.
They were strictly enforcing that 35 MPH speed limit through the tolls for a while, although I think they have lightened up a bit. There is a cruiser there very often, but I don't see many cars getting busted.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #27
hilltopper

Quote:
They were strictly enforcing that 35 MPH speed limit through the tolls for a while, although I think they have lightened up a bit. There is a cruiser there very often, but I don't see many cars getting busted.
It's a bit ridiculous. It's my understanding that a lot of states that have EZ Pass have it designed so you can pass through "at speed" or at a bit of a reduced speed. Here in good 'ol NH we have a 35MPH spedd limit with NH's finest hiding at the tolls with radar guns. Not to mention the money the state spends on the warning letters that go out if you pass through the tolls at 32 MPH.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #28
LakeSnake

Last edited by LakeSnake; 06-15-2010 at 12:01 PM.
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #29
jmen24

"at speed" let me be the first to say that this will be the stupidest idea. Now this does not apply to everyone, so if you do not think it applies to you, there is no real need to bark at me. But, if you sit in a parking lot on a Saturday and just watch people drive around and park, you will notice that quite a few folks have no idea where the passenger side of their car is. They park directly next to another car on the drivers side with 3 feet on the passenger side. This is just one place to notice this activity, you can see folks constantly hugging the drivers side on their vehicle against something when they still have a car width on the passenger side.

And now they are going to let people pass through very unforgiving concrete toll booths AT SPEED (I am sure they are wider than a typical travel lane, but still). This does not even bring into account the folks that will not pass through at speed, that will slow to 20 or 30 mph and get run up on by Joe Salesman yapping on the cell and jotting down notes. Cause this will be great, now you have no need to even turn the cruise control off.

Just seems like an idea that will come back to bite someone. Maybe it is happening in other states without issue, if that is the case, I will stand corrected.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #30
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
"at speed" let me be the first to say that this will be the stupidest idea. Now this does not apply to everyone, so if you do not think it applies to you, there is no real need to bark at me. But, if you sit in a parking lot on a Saturday and just watch people drive around and park, you will notice that quite a few folks have no idea where the passenger side of their car is. They park directly next to another car on the drivers side with 3 feet on the passenger side. This is just one place to notice this activity, you can see folks constantly hugging the drivers side on their vehicle against something when they still have a car width on the passenger side.

And now they are going to let people pass through very unforgiving concrete toll booths AT SPEED (I am sure they are wider than a typical travel lane, but still). This does not even bring into account the folks that will not pass through at speed, that will slow to 20 or 30 mph and get run up on by Joe Salesman yapping on the cell and jotting down notes. Cause this will be great, now you have no need to even turn the cruise control off.

Just seems like an idea that will come back to bite someone. Maybe it is happening in other states without issue, if that is the case, I will stand corrected.
At the "highway speed" toll booths in NJ, the ones that you can cruise through are super wide. They are on the far left of the toll plaza, and are easily 2-3 car widths.
jmen24 (04-21-2010)
Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #31
SIKSUKR

The 35 mph at the Hooksett tolls is not the pass through speed, its the speed leading up to the tollbooth. The pass through speed is only 10 mph.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #32
Rattlesnake Guy

I will bet you $0.75 the guy who can't figure out what lane to be in will drive across the high speed lane in confusion.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #33
Mee-n-Mac

Question Mee wants to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
The 35 mph at the Hooksett tolls is not the pass through speed, its the speed leading up to the tollbooth. The pass through speed is only 10 mph.
Some of the lanes are marked 10 MPH with signage, others aren't. So can one do 35 MPH through those left unsigned ?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #34
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Some of the lanes are marked 10 MPH with signage, others aren't. So can one do 35 MPH through those left unsigned ?
Currently, the speed limit through the tolls is 35 MPH. A lower speed limit is being considered. The yellow 10 MPH signs that you see at the tolls are not the speed limit.

CONCORD, N.H.—New Hampshire's House is setting a 25 mph speed limit on E-ZPass lanes.

The House voted Wednesday to lower the limit from 35 mph for vehicles that use E-ZPass transponders to electronically pay tolls. The bill allows higher speeds in open toll lanes which are being build on Interstate 95.

The Senate next considers the bill.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...h_speed_limit/
Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #35
Shore Driver

Quote:
At the "highway speed" toll booths in NJ, the ones that you can cruise through are super wide. They are on the far left of the toll plaza, and are easily 2-3 car widths.

Those tollbooths on the GSP are the benchmark for which all tollbooths should be measured, IMO. EZPass never makes me feel smarter than when I fly through those at full speed.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #36
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Currently, the speed limit through the tolls is 35 MPH. A lower speed limit is being considered. The yellow 10 MPH signs that you see at the tolls are not the speed limit.
Ok Chip now I'm confused.The sign that says 10 mph is not the speed limit?Then what is the sign for?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #37
Mee-n-Mac

Exclamation It's 10 MPH ... I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Ok Chip now I'm confused.The sign that says 10 mph is not the speed limit?Then what is the sign for?
Me too. (confused that is) I recall a story where people got "reminders" from the DOT for going too fast (25 mph IIRC) through the E-Z Pass lanes. Then there's this ...

From the NH DOT website ( http://www.nh.gov/dot/org/operations...faq.htm#ticket)

What is the speed limit through an E-ZPass only lane?
The maximum speed is 10 MPH. The reason for this is safety of the motoring public and safety of our employees that could be crossing toll lanes at any time.

Could I get a speeding ticket for going too fast through an E-ZPass lane?
Maybe … NHDOT has no authorization to issue speeding tickets. This is a Department of Safety - NH State Police issue. If a police officer is monitoring speed through the toll lanes, and you exceed a reasonable, safe speed through the E-ZPass lane, you could be issued a summons.

Could I lose my license if I drive too fast through an E-ZPass lane?
No. Drivers licenses can not be suspended for speed through an E-ZPass lane.

So I might conclude that the NH DOT has set a 10 MPH "recommendation" but doesn't (can't) enforce it via tickets. The NHSP may or may not enforce a "reasonable" speed limit, which might be higher than 10 MPH.

Clear as mud.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #38
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Me too. (confused that is) I recall a story where people got "reminders" from the DOT for going too fast (25 mph IIRC) through the E-Z Pass lanes. Then there's this ...

From the NH DOT website ( http://www.nh.gov/dot/org/operations...faq.htm#ticket)

What is the speed limit through an E-ZPass only lane?
The maximum speed is 10 MPH. The reason for this is safety of the motoring public and safety of our employees that could be crossing toll lanes at any time.

Could I get a speeding ticket for going too fast through an E-ZPass lane?
Maybe … NHDOT has no authorization to issue speeding tickets. This is a Department of Safety - NH State Police issue. If a police officer is monitoring speed through the toll lanes, and you exceed a reasonable, safe speed through the E-ZPass lane, you could be issued a summons.

Could I lose my license if I drive too fast through an E-ZPass lane?
No. Drivers licenses can not be suspended for speed through an E-ZPass lane.

So I might conclude that the NH DOT has set a 10 MPH "recommendation" but doesn't (can't) enforce it via tickets. The NHSP may or may not enforce a "reasonable" speed limit, which might be higher than 10 MPH.

Clear as mud.
Yellow speed limit signs are recommended speed. White are official.

I say just zip thru at 35 when a State T is parked there watching and see if they come after you.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #39
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
... How many people do you see slow down to 35 MPH a good quarter mile before the tolls as the speed limit signs instruct you to? ....
Me for one. I often chuckle watching those that have to get there first as they slam on the brakes just before the booth .... or the car they couldn't cut off. Much easier on the brakes to just ease up ahead of time and roll gently through the ezpass lane.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #40
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Fyi...

Just an fyi... I got a letter from the state a while back because I had exceeded the 35 MPH speed limit in the EZ Pass lane. The letter stated I did this more than once and that I could be fined if I continued to do it. So they do keep track of how fast you go through the EZ pass lane.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #41
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Yellow speed limit signs are recommended speed. White are official.
I say just zip thru at 35 when a State T is parked there watching and see if they come after you.
Bingo. I tried to explain this to someone in person and man did they give me a "look".
Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #42
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Me for one. I often chuckle watching those that have to get there first as they slam on the brakes just before the booth .... or the car they couldn't cut off. Much easier on the brakes to just ease up ahead of time and roll gently through the ezpass lane.
I find it safest to travel with the general flow of traffic. Good luck not getting run over (or causing an accident as people try to get around your moving roadblcok).
The Following User Says Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (04-27-2010)
Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #43
Begonezvous

Default Most insane speed trap I've ever seen

I was travelling south on the Spaulding Turnpike (Rt 16). Just as the road forks either left ( Rt 95 points in Maine) or right (Rt 95 points south) I see a NH State Trooper standing in the middle of the fork pointing his radar gun at oncoming traffic. He was standing in front of his motorcycle and no lights were flashing. The officer and his bike were not very large targets so they were hard to see.
All it would take is one inattentive driver to head to the center of the fork. The officer would not have time to move out of the way. This area is confusing and I've seen many drivers swerve left or right as they realize which fork they need to take. Not a lot of thought went into the placement of this speed trap.
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #44
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonezvous View Post
I was travelling south on the Spaulding Turnpike (Rt 16). Just as the road forks either left ( Rt 95 points in Maine) or right (Rt 95 points south) I see a NH State Trooper standing in the middle of the fork pointing his radar gun at oncoming traffic. He was standing in front of his motorcycle and no lights were flashing. The officer and his bike were not very large targets so they were hard to see.
All it would take is one inattentive driver to head to the center of the fork. The officer would not have time to move out of the way. This area is confusing and I've seen many drivers swerve left or right as they realize which fork they need to take. Not a lot of thought went into the placement of this speed trap.
I have seen the exact same thing at the I-93 south/Rt 101 east split in Manchester. I used to see them there rather often, but it has been a while since the last time I saw them. Same thing though, very difficult to see.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #45
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
I find it safest to travel with the general flow of traffic. Good luck not getting run over (or causing an accident as people try to get around your moving roadblcok).
No, NOT a moving roadblock. I DO slow down, go with the flow and follow the speed limits, rather than try to race others to the "finish line" and see how many cars I can cut off.
Pepper (04-28-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #46
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
No, NOT a moving roadblock. I DO slow down, go with the flow and follow the speed limits, rather than try to race others to the "finish line" and see how many cars I can cut off.
Look, my point is that if you are truly doing 35 MPH when you hit the 35 MPH speed limit sign, you are definitely not moving with the flow of traffic.

I'm not the one weaving around cars. The day I got stopped there was no traffic and I got clocked at 65 MPH. I told the Statie that I'd get run over if I did 35. He agreed and said he wouldn't have stopped me if I wasn't exceeding 60 MPH.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #47
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
I agree. I always move over if possible, whether they have flashers on or not. It's just smart.
Getting back to the move over issue, if you've ever had to pull to the side of the highway for any reason, you know its dangerous. (flat tire, check a trailer, pee stop, ect...) The gust of wind as a car or truck goes by is intense, it shakes the whole car.

My .02 move over if you can.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #48
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
I will bet you $0.75 the guy who can't figure out what lane to be in will drive across the high speed lane in confusion.
Moderator remove this if it is inappropriate.

hancoveguy, Have you ever heard of anything like this before, maybe pass it around the dept. if you think its a possibility.

I don't want to start any bad ideas, but I must say TWICE this year going through the EZ Pass lane I've come close to rear ending 1-bike and 1-car.

What happened the first time was heading home on a Sunday night going through the toll on 93, heading south, following two bikes. Traffic is slowing for the toll (no delays) and the first bike holds up a EZ Pass and goes through, as the second bike enters the toll area he slows to the point he is trying to balance, I hit the brakes to avoid hitting him, and he keeps looking at the camera equiptment, I'm guessing. It must have took a pic of the side of his bike and then he took off to catch the other bike. Or, he wanted the EZ Pass equiptment to pick up mine and he would get the free toll. ( I'll have to recheck my statement, as I don't recall if the light was green as he sped away)
The second time, as I was approching the toll a car darted out of the pay toll line right in front of me and creeped almost stopping, again like the bike. I got the impression he was trying to get me to tail gate him as we went through the toll. No one was behind me, this was later at night, so I stopped about 10 feet before the toll, he stopped less then 1/2 way into the booth and must have been waiting for me get closer to him but I didn't. Then when he went through the booth he did start to pull over to the side, but I didn't see where he went.

Maybe he was confused....I feel its the latest scam to get the car behind you to be charged the toll. Regardless, BE CAREFUL, people think nothing of just darting out, doing something stupid!!!!!!!!!
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #49
jacka82942

Default classless alton police

north alton on rte 11 where long open stretch ends and limit drops from 55 to 40.cop sits right at 40 marker when you come down the hill with his radar.not much time to see sign and slow down before gotcha.
jacka82942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #50
SIKSUKR

Default Pay attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacka82942 View Post
north alton on rte 11 where long open stretch ends and limit drops from 55 to 40.cop sits right at 40 marker when you come down the hill with his radar.not much time to see sign and slow down before gotcha.
I don't like speed traps as much as the next guy but you call him a "classless policeman" for doing his job? He sits there because people will drive way faster than 40. The speed change is clearly marked way before you hit the 40 mph marker. Some drivers need to pay more attention to the road signs. They are there for a reason.
ishoot308 (07-19-2010), Jonas Pilot (07-19-2010), Pepper (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #51
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So I want to stop by bring back up a few point from earlier....

--- First and emergancy vehicle is only an emergancy vehicle when it lights are on and flashing... so a cop pulled off to the side of the road, is just an observer.

--- Second, it is just common curtiousy to pull over into the passing lane when safely possible and someone is in the breakdown lane. The reason the law got passed was that to many people fail to do the right thing even when there is plenty of room to do so... So after many years and plenty of statistic to back the law up across the country the law was passed.

Now as for cops pulling people over from the side of the road or even stepping out into the traffic lanes, this is done all over the country. When it is done correctly and safely it is done on a straight stretch of road with clear visibility and it is pretty obvious what is going on. People should be slowing down anyways.

Occassionally you see a single cop do this maneuver when he shouldn't... and maybe it is scary for all involved including said officer, because in the course of doing something else on the side of the road, he notices something he can't just let slide....Remember one thing: POLICE OFFICERS ARE HUMAN, WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES........ They react and run off of adrenaline and emotion... and sometimes it cause an oops... Instead of getting angry or fearing police officers, get to know some of them.... talk to them... Have lunch with them... hey if you haven't done anything wrong what have you to fear.... other then learning how uncomfortable it is wearing bullet proof vests.... Having to make decissions, in less time then it take most people think about what there next task at work is going to be.....
Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #52
dayvsea

I think that NH cops are a tad aggressive compared to any other state.. Ever drive back on 16 some night from up North? There is a squad car every intersection. I was followed for 5 miles one night with the fam, and felt if I did 1 mile over the limit the lights were goin to flip on, illuminating my blue licence plate. Maybe just weed out the bad drivers, and not worry about the plus and minuses on the speedometer.. One mans opinion..
Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #53
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvsea View Post
I think that NH cops are a tad aggressive compared to any other state.. Ever drive back on 16 some night from up North? There is a squad car every intersection. I was followed for 5 miles one night with the fam, and felt if I did 1 mile over the limit the lights were goin to flip on, illuminating my blue licence plate. Maybe just weed out the bad drivers, and not worry about the plus and minuses on the speedometer.. One mans opinion..
As long as your doing nothing wrong there is nothing to fear.... that is the bottom line...Even if you get pulled over for going 1 m.p.h over the speed limit you can usually bring it to court and get it dismissed.... I you are going 10 m.p.h over the speed limit well your probably going to get stuck with the fine..but then again you have broken the law of the speed limit. Bottom line, you have nothing to fear if your not doing anything wrong...
Jonas Pilot (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #54
Belmont Resident

Default I don't understand?

I drive thru the tolls on my way to northern Maine all year. Their posted speed thru the tolls is 10mph. When I approach the tolls I look for cops, I watch the traffic in front of me for brake lights which can indicate police presence and adjust my speed accordingly. If I'm alone I automatically slow down to at least 45 by the sign.
INHO if you were doing 65 then you probably deserved to be caught because they almost never sit at the sign. They usually give you time to slow down even though you are suppose to be at 35 when you pass the sign. Which I almost am never doing and I do not believe I’ve ever seen anyone actually doing 35 at the sign.
I try to drive no more than 5 over around town and unless in traffic or passing, no more than 10 over on the highway. If I see a cop I never flash to let people know because if they are going that much over then they deserve to get caught.
I learned that the difference between 65 and 75 on the highway translates to 3-4 mpg in fuel loss and will add up to just a few minutes earlier that I might get from point A to point B even on a 4.5 hour drive.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #55
SIKSUKR

I don't understand what you do not understand.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:03 AM   #56
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Speeding enforcement...

I have heard that NH is going to install this new speed enforcement plan into practice.

This should slow folks down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2xnWYx8YK8
Belmont Resident (10-19-2011), Pineedles (10-20-2011), secondcurve (10-20-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #57
Belmont Resident

Default Too cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I have heard that NH is going to install this new speed enforcement plan into practice.

This should slow folks down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2xnWYx8YK8
That was funny. I've heard talk that those speed monitoring signs that tell you how fast you are going will some day lead to automatic tickets.
I suppose it makes sense. If the thing is using a radar gun and clocks you at say 40 in a 30 all they would have to have is video of the license plate to make it work.
Aren’t they are already doing it at toll booths?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #58
SIKSUKR

They have been doing it in Canada for quite some time.On one of my heliskiing trips to British Columbia we rented a car and drove to the middle of BC.A few weeks later the guy that had his name on the rental recieved at speeding ticket.He wasn't even driving.

I have one of those mobile units on a street near me.For some reason I drive real fast up to it to see how high I can get it.Seems to work backwards in my case.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #59
AC2717

Haha, that Youtube video is funny
but what is ridiculous about those speed signs that you can get a ticket from is that you are not always the one driving the car

so if I let my brother borrow my car and he drives by one of those signed speeding, why do I get the ticket??? and then face the surcharge on my license and insurance for it

I would say that would not be legal
Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #60
AC2717

Another thing to note the 93 tolls near hookset and Rt 3 tolls in Manchester have a posted speed limit of 25 mph, I do not know if they are yellow or white

In MA most ezpass lanes are 10mph
Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #61
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A while ago...

...the speed limits at the tolls were posted as "advisory" at 10 MPH on yellow signs. Evidently, this was not a posted enforceable speed. Why they can't do a white sign at 10 MPH, I don't know, or can't remember if it was in the news. What I do remember is that they posted the speed limit at 25 MPH on white signs so as to be enforceable.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #62
Belmont Resident

Default It is ridiculous though.

You are driving along at 65+ and all of the sudden you have to drop down to 25 mph or even 10mph.
How safe is that? How fuel efficient is that? I understand that until you have the overhead pass through it is necessary. Heck just looking at the number of drivers that wait till the last second to decide which lane they should be in is reason enough to have reduced speed there.
How many times do you see drivers leave the easy pass lane only to drive across several lanes of traffic and wind up in the cash lane?
The one I like the best is the drivers you see weaving in and out of traffic on the highway, driving like a total idiot. Then you get to the tolls and see them sitting in a line of traffic at the cash lane while you drive thru the easy pass lane. Then a couple of miles down the road you see a repeat with the same driver.
On our last trip to Maine we saw the same scenario, only this time there was a cop in the right place at the right time and he got bagged. God I love it when that happens and you actually get to see it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #63
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
On our last trip to Maine we saw the same scenario, only this time there was a cop in the right place at the right time and he got bagged. God I love it when that happens and you actually get to see it!
I luv it too.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOAD For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #64
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Hampton Toll

The Hampton toll on Route 95 has a high speed ezPass Lane to the right side of both the south bound and north bound tolls.

Very cool... you get to pay the state $2 at 55 MPH!
Belmont Resident (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #65
Belmont Resident

Default Hookset next

From what I been told Hookset is next. Hopefully Maine follows the lead it would cut or time traveling down. In minutes....
Old 10-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #66
Rattlesnake Guy

Years ago our small town asked for private donations to buy one of the automatic ticket machines. They planned to move it around and nail people automatically. I remember thinking that the only way I would ever help pay for something so ridiculous was if it gave me a free pass for life from tickets. Selfishness is a powerful motivator. Not surprisingly, they never raised the funds.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote