Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Island Girl

Default Ice-Out 2007

This is the official Ice-Out 2007 thread. The ice-out web cam watch page is up at http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/iceout.htm.

The warm weather today and coming is sure to get that ice melting...

The lake temperature is 34 degrees... and last year ice out occured at 40 degrees..

Be careful out there... the lake will not be safe much longer.

Please post your iceout pictures to Photo post. If you want to take a picture every day from an area not covered by a webcam.. let me know at rattlesnakecam@comcast.net

Let's make this years watch a fun event!!!! It's coming..

Just a few more days until spring.

IG

Snake Eyes has the wrong time for a few days because the camera is old and does not understand the new dates.

Please visit and buy from the sponsors on winnipesaukee.com and rattlesnakecam.com... they help keep your websites and webcams free!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
dmjr

Does anyone think it might be an early ice out or a late ice out? Will be interesting to see what the weather does this week
dmjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
CanisLupusArctos

Default Sun or Wind?

This looks like an above-normal week for temps, and a chance of colder (not extreme, but below freezing) at the end of the week. My guess would be for a late ice-out, given that it got over 20 inches thick in some places this year... most of it was solid clear ice (not flaky snow ice) and there were still trucks out on it this weekend. There's also plenty of white snow on it to reflect the sun's rays for a while.

Presence or absence of wind will play a big role. In the blackcatnh weathercam's time lapse over the past month the ice could be seen moving up and down during windy conditions (while everything else in the image remains fixed). The past 8 weeks have been incredibly windy with very few calm days and if this trend continues, the wind will be the major contributor to this year's iceout. If that is the case, the iceout could be dramatic and possibly damaging with waves carrying thick bergs and shards. If that is not the case, the sun will have to do most of the work which could take a while since there's so much ice to melt.

Looking at weather patterns, the El Nino that probably played a huge role in our incredibly warm weather in December/January has broken down and is becoming its opposite - La Nina - as spring arrives. While the El Nino and La Nina patterns have had many different effects on New England in the past, El Nino is most noted for warm/dry here, while La Nina has often caused cold/wet. Only time will tell.

More weather info regularly posted by a bunch of us meteorology buffs on the latest version of the "Winni Weather" thread.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Merrymeeting

While it will return to normal later this week, I think the rain will put a dent in things icy. Most importantly, when it stays above freezing during the night, something it is supposed to do for the next several nights, a lot of melting can occur.

That said, it's still going to take a lot of heat to melt 20". Despite my ice-out guess, I'm thinking well see an "average" ice-out, which would be mid-to-late April
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Just Praying

I am praying and asking God for mild Temps, from now on.... Not that I am anxious or anything..... but after sending in the Boat payments through the winter.... well.... I want to know I spent my money wisely...... Maybe next time I should buy and ICE BREAKER ....

Thinking of boats.... and ice.... FLL.... how are your circulating pumps, boatlift and most importantly the Boat holding out?????
Old 03-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Island Girl

Default Babes apology

We Babes on Sleds do apologize for the late season snow... it appears our Ice-out dance backfired and the snow Gods thought we were signaling for more snow..

Given the amount of slush that was there before the snow and the new weight from this snow.... it might be a bit boggy out there... I would not go there but the Airboat people will have a great time!!

The Ice-out page now has a new digi-cam (still pics taken each day) from DRH... check it out. Anyone else wanting to to a daily update on a place on the lake not covered by a webcam... please let me know at rattlesnakecam@comcast.net.

3 days until spring!!!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
Blue Thunder

Default Silver Sands Ice Out page is up

The Silver Sands Marina Ice Out page is up and running. I'm sure there many of you who like to frequent their view as well. IG's page is the best though!!
Seems like wishful thinking with so much snow on top.

http://www.nhboat.com/Features/daily_update_07.htm

Blue Thunder

Last edited by Blue Thunder; 03-18-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
We Babes on Sleds do apologize for the late season snow... it appears our Ice-out dance backfired and the snow Gods thought we were signaling for more snow..

Given the amount of slush that was there before the snow and the new weight from this snow.... it might be a bit boggy out there... I would not go there but the Airboat people will have a great time!!
We found everything to be quite firm today in our travels with no real places of concern for snowmobilers. My travel route/findings can be found in the "safe ice?" thread. You missed a great day!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
KBoater

Default Guess

Did I miss something or is there no ICE OUT contest this year?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Island-Ho

Default You Missed It

Guesses had to be in by the end of February - The webmaster announced it on 1 February.
See http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...hlight=contest
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater
Did I miss something or is there no ICE OUT contest this year?
Did you check the front page of the site or search the Forum for "Ice-Out Contest"?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
KBoater

Default Forgot

I forgot about the front page. I'll starting look there. The search did not like me because I forgot the '-'.
Guess I'll hve to start a returning north contest.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
CanisLupusArctos

Default Black Cat Shoals just opened up

The ice around Black Cat Shoals (south tip of Black Cat Is.) just opened up this morning and widened through the day. This has usually been a sign that iceout is between 2 and 3 weeks away, depending on weather.

Today's high was 50 with a low of 37. Yesterday we were up to 55. The warm weather has eaten all the snow on top of the ice... leaving puddles... and although it is still strong enough for sleds (there were a few today) it is rapidly weakening. Today the south-facing shoreline opened up a couple feet from shore... except near dock bubblers where it has opened up a good 20-30 feet from shore.

CLA
Old 03-25-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Alton Bay starting to de-ice

Took these 2 pictures today. It's starting !

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hp?photo=11043

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hp?photo=11042
Old 03-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #15
chipj29

Unhappy Way wrong

When I made my ice out guess, I was depending on a cold March. And April. I figured, it was so warm in December and the first half of January, that it HAD to be cold in March and part of April, right?
Oh well, there is always next year.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #16
Chris Exley

Default I know there must people on other lakes here...

Hi All,

If anyone passes by Mirror Lake on Rt. 109, would you post iceout progress for me?

Much appreciated.
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
When I made my ice out guess, I was depending on a cold March. And April. I figured, it was so warm in December and the first half of January, that it HAD to be cold in March and part of April, right?
Oh well, there is always next year.
What was your guess? Just because the end of Alton Bay has opened up doesn't mean we're gonna see it declared in the next two weeks. Remember -- people were still reporting 18-20 inches within the past week. That kind of ice takes a while to go away. I'm still sticking with my April 20, although last week that date looked a tad early to me, given the thickness.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
CanisLupusArctos

Default Still thick from Black Cat to the Broads

Although warm weather has started the melting of the ice away from rocks, south-facing shorelines, and other objects that collect the sun's heat, the middle of the ice pack is still quite thick.

During the past two days there were numerous sleds passing on the Center Harbor to Steamboat Island route all day long. On Saturday 3 large ATVs (traveling close to each other) drove along the same route, even approaching the edge of the ice near shore by about 15 feet. Random weak spots are making it risky to be out there, but in general the ice isn't about to go out anytime soon unless we get an extended stretch of incredibly warm weather.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:52 AM   #19
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
What was your guess? Just because the end of Alton Bay has opened up doesn't mean we're gonna see it declared in the next two weeks. Remember -- people were still reporting 18-20 inches within the past week. That kind of ice takes a while to go away. I'm still sticking with my April 20, although last week that date looked a tad early to me, given the thickness.
I went super late, with an April 29 date. You have given me new hope!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #20
Grant

Hold that thought...it's supposed to approach 80 down here today (that should erase what's left of the snow). A few days like that up in NH, and that ice could go away really fast. Who knows. The visual appearance of the ice (via cams) has changed dramatically in a short time. I'm still going long.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #21
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Remember -- people were still reporting 18-20 inches within the past week.
As of 03/18 there was about 8"-10" of solid black ice with another 12"-14" of ice in various states in the general area of the Weirs cam which was one of the last areas to freeze over. I imagine ice out will be a bit longer.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #22
Merrymeeting

The small ponds and lakes here in central MA are just starting to go. Lakes Region is usually a few weeks later. So those with guesses near the norm (mid-April) look to be good.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #23
Cow Man

Default Ice Out, which ice out?

Last year I tried to make the trip from Harilla to Cow by boat on March 31 just because I never had done it that early. Unfortunately, I was stopped by ice just north of Ragged. Undaunted, I was able to do the trip on April 1. I believe official ice out was April 4.
So far this year I have skied out once and found a Kayak and dock box missing probably a result of high winds.
This spring my primary aim is to repair, replace and open up camp. I expect to do that by April 11 and shortly after be able to ride the Mount!
Cow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #24
Blue Thunder

Default Today's cams show a lot of dark ice

Are we being fooled by the apparent dark color of the ice because it was thick clear black ice at the beginning?? You ice out experts should know!!

BT
Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #25
DBA

Thumbs up Cracks are showing in the ice

Hi All,
I have just posted a photo to the gallery that was taken this morning from high up on the Gunstock side of Rattlesnake. When Don has approved it, you can see very visible cracking. The ice is still much thicker than one would think. These winds are causing visible surging of water around all the holes that have opened near shore. There are a couple of larger openings visible today about 200-300 yards offshore from the north side of Rattlesnake. It's coming.... slow but sure.
DBA

Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #26
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking I'm So Missing Our Island!!!

Thanks for the great pictures DBA! I’ve been walking around today with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. Ice-out isn’t far away. Wahooooooo!
Rattlesnake Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #27
Merrymeeting

Talking

I know I always get over anxious and this process always takes longer than I hope. But I'm noticing some signicant changes today.
  • Broadview cam view - first major cracks in ice sheet around shorleine and dock
  • Pine Island South Cam - ice in foreground disappeared during the course of today.
  • Fairhaven Cam - Looks like ice in lagoon may be gone by morning.
  • Channel Cam - sheet of ice on right side mostly gone today
  • Alton Live Cam - dock areas completely clear, first signs of openings in the ice on right toward river
Thanks to all who support these cameras. It's fun to watch each year and the process never gets old!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #28
Just Sold

Canobie Lake in Salem is showing some large openings in the middle and lots of cracking so Winni will not be far behind. The wind today is very strong and will help speed things up with movement of the ice. Think Ice Out! Think Ice Out! I am like RG today with "can't wait".
Old 03-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #29
CanisLupusArctos

Default Lots of opening S of Black Cat

As evidenced in the WeatherCam's time lapse (www.blackcatnh.com) over the past several days, the holes around Black Cat Shoals are widening more each day and the ice near shore has also opened up a lot.

There are cracks and a few holes starting to appear (small, but present) in the middle but the pack has been doing a very good job fighting the influence of the strong winds we've had the last 48 hours. Only last weekend there were sleds and ATVs on it, and the temperatures haven't been incredibly warm this week.

Yesterday winds peaked at 45 mph and frequent gusts to the high-30s continued through this morning. Time lapse shows the ice bobbing up and down a little but so far it's holding its own. Typically Black Cat Ledge's opening widens to the shores of Black Cat and sometimes over to Three-Mile, after which any West wind can grab the edge and start ripping.

The 6-14 day outlooks from the NWS show us in a below-normal temp trend through the period... so I doubt there'll be much 80-degree weather to speed the iceout process up.

Those with shoreline structures... just keep watching the wind. If the wind has its way, the lake will break up into thick shards of ice without the temp being able to soften it first, and we could see a recurrance of the damaging "false iceout" we had in January's high winds.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #30
DBA

Default More Ice Out Pictures in the Gallery

Hello All,
I've posted pictures of some of today's ice condition changes. Holes are appearing in multiple areas. As much as I would like to report otherwise, Airboat Guy moved our craft out onto areas very close to the holes and there was no cracking, nor indication of breakthrough yet. So perhaps these holes are more from water movement than "melting". Stay tuned....
DBA
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #31
Island Girl

Wink Ice Out page additions

Great pics, DBA. I wish I was there.

The ice-out page at http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/iceout.htm has been updated. It will now load much faster.. the live video feeds are now links.. just click on the image or link (some images are not there yet) and see Alton Bay and Wolfeboro Bay live. I cannot find the new address to the ClubCam at Corinthian Yacht Club in Wolfeboro... if anyone has it please post.

DRH's daily image from the shores of W. Alton are now much wider and on its own row. Make sure you click on the image to go to his page with all of his pics.. you can see the daily progress.

Kathy D. from Glidden Cove is sending daily pictures from the cove facing Sleeper's Island and Rattlesnake Island.. scroll down the ice-out page to see her great efforts.

The non-functioning cams have been moved to the bottom of the page for now.

This is the time of the year when progress is seen daily... let's hope all the cams stay up!!

Enjoy.
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #32
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
I cannot find the new address to the ClubCam at Corinthian Yacht Club in Wolfeboro... if anyone has it please post.
IG
Island Girl: Here is the link to the ClubCam.

WOLFEBORO CORINTHIAN YACHT CLUBCAM

It's the oddest thing. There appears to be the arm of a crane extending over the main dock with something hanging from the end of the crane?
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #33
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
There appears to be the arm of a crane extending over the main dock with something hanging from the end of the crane?
You're right, McD. That's the crane they use for lifting boats in and out of the water. What's hanging on the cable is an "X" shaped support that the straps going under a boat's hull are attached to.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #34
Just Sold

I posted yesterday that Canobie Lake in Salem had some big holes. Well today they are all gone .....No Ice to be seen from N. Policy Rd. across the lake.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #35
DBA

Default Ice Thickness View

Hi All,
A couple more photos on the Gallery and this view of a hole off our dock. It skimmed over last night, but you can see the white lines (cracks) that show the true thickness. The rest of the ice is extremely clear and very dense. Still about 18 inches thick.
DBA
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #36
DBA

Default Spring Visitors

Just when you think spring takes forever... DBA
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2007, 08:12 AM   #37
Island Girl

Default Ahhhh!

Thanks DBA, How wonderful to see this morning... they are a most welcome sight.

Thanks McD for the link to the club cam link. I had been searching the web and could not find any link to their web site.

Hey FlyGuy... I hope you have a paying job that will take you over the lake in the next week or so... we could sure use some pictures then.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-31-2007, 09:12 AM   #38
Island Lover

Any idea why the bear cams are not working on the ice out page. They work when I use the link.

Thanks for all the cameras! Being able to watch ice out is fantastic.
Island Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:21 AM   #39
Island Girl

Default Hmmm

I will look again... I did fix them on the iceout page.. refresh your screen a couple of times.. I might have missed something.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #40
Island Girl

Default BearCam links

All of the links work from the iceout page and the lakecams page. If yours do not work, refresh your page a few times. If they still do not work, clear your cache (delete temporary internet files in internet explorer.)

Here's how:

From any Internet Explorer window click on Tools, then Internet Options.. look for the Temporary Internet Files section and click on the Delete Files button. This is for Internet Explorer 6 versions.. Version 7 may be slightly different.

If you still cannot see the bearcam from these pages.. clear your dns by:

Start, run
Type cmd and press the enter key
In the window that opens type ipconfig /flushdns and press the enter key... close that window and all should be well.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 03-31-2007, 12:22 PM   #41
John A. Birdsall

Default iCE out

Oh I've heard it thru the grapevine,, Ice out will be on April 9th at 10:00 first time in recorded history that it has happened on that date.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #42
Resident 2B

John,

I would be very surprised if Ice-Out came that soon given the thickness of the ice and the weather forecast. Looks like another 3 to 4 weeks to me.

I think the April 9th date maintains its perfect record.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #43
Just Sold

Default Lake Tour Ice Out 07

I took a trip around the lake yeasterday and posted photos from many locations that show from the Broads and South the ice appears to be closer to "ice Out" than most of the areas on the northern half. This, I know, is very typical.

Check Out Lilly Pond too. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...1083&nocache=1

I also got this shot of "Puddy Tat's" old home.

Last edited by Just Sold; 04-01-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #44
Silver Duck

I was up at the lake yesterday, too. I wish that I could be more optimistic, but I figure it will be another two to three weeks, minimum. Everybody take up the Chant - MELT, MELT, MELT, MELT.....

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #45
Merrymeeting

It's only a rough indicator (especially given the weather this week), but a pond that I drive by on my way to work here in Marlborough MA is completely ice free as of this morning. Past history has been that the lakes region follows within 2 weeks...

I'm not a fisherman so I can't confess to understanding the passion. There have been boats floating by the Wolfeboro webcam almost nonstop since yesterday. Including right now. It's raining, it's in the mid-30's.... guess you really have to love it!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #46
joann721

Default Ice Out

My husband took the cover off our pool this weekend to check the water
level. I was in the kitchen and I heard him calling me. I went out on the
back porch and he turned around, put his arms up and yelled ICE OUT !!!!

As he went on to tell me... when the chlorine duck can float from one end of the pool the other... it is ICE OUT.....

I think he has been away from the lake to long... we might just have to take a field trip to Waldo's

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #47
Lin

Default Worcester Sunday Telegram

In Sunday's telegram there was an article called "Ready for the Icy Plunge -Bets focus on when water will open on frozen lakes" by John Curran Associated Press. The last little bulletin paragraph was on Lake Winnipesaukee where he says, "Predicting Ice-out on New Hampshire's largest lake, Winnipesaukee, has been a local passion and occasion for celebration for more than a century. Emerson Aviation in Laconia, NH declares ice-out on the 72 acre (think that's wrong for sure, think he meant miles) lake when the MS Mt. Waashington cruise ship can reach all its ports of call. Records have been kept since 1887 (ice out May 7) and range from March to May, Ice-Out was declared last year at 2:47 PM on April 3. The Web Site www.winnipesaukee.com offers modest prizes such as charts and T-shirts to whomever makes the three closest guesses on the site during February."

Pretty neat to see Don's forum printed in news and online on more than several occasions a year now. Thanks Don for supplying us all with such a fun interactive site.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #48
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721
I think he has been away from the lake to long... we might just have to take a field trip to Waldo's
I think you may want to get up here quick!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #49
Merrymeeting

Default Full article

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dl...73276848032991
Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #50
Just Sold

Unhappy Snow is Depressing

I just looked at a lot of the web cams and for this time of year and hoping for ice out in a few weeks the view with the snow and low visability is depressing. Just look the Rattlesnake cam, it has black snow!

Where or Where is Spring and Ice Out!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #51
Island Girl

Default Ugh!! need a battery backup

I will be putting a battery backup on Snake Eyes this spring... the darn thing hiccups a lot this year... Hopefully airboat guy can get there and reboot it.. again!!

....... Make Lemonade
Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #52
Resident 2B

Default May 1st??

From what I see in the Ice-Out History information, there has not been a recorded Ice-Out on May 1st.

Although I have a late April date in the contest, based on current ice reports and activities, current weather conditions and the long range weather forecasts, I would not be surprised, at all, that we get into May with Ice-Out.

May 1st might be a date that it will happen. Better late than never!

Time will tell!

R2B
Old 04-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #53
Pineedles

Default I lost

Had 10:30 this morning, oh well.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #54
Resident 2B

Pineedles,

I really wish that you were right. It is time for a boat ride! The winter that never started, is never ending!

R2B
Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #55
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
Had 10:30 this morning, oh well.
If it's any consolation, the ice is out of my local trout pond.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #56
codeman671

Quote:
I will be putting a battery backup on Snake Eyes this spring... the darn thing hiccups a lot this year... Hopefully airboat guy can get there and reboot it.. again!!
I will be going up on Friday with our airboat, if you are in the area and need to get out there I am sure I can help.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #57
Island Girl

Default All set for now

Thanks codeman621... airboat guy from Rattlesnake Island rebooted Snake Eyes today... I can't wait for ice out when I am under my own power again!!! I so appreciate the offer!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 04-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #58
CanisLupusArctos

Default The wind has gained some ground

The wind has now completely torn open Black Cat Shoals and there is now open water from the south tip of Black Cat out to FL #83. This is significant because it happened while temps were in the mid-20s, and because historically the wind has used this opening as a "purchase point" to start ripping the ice cover from NW to SE. This larger opening has allowed for some decent wave action to get going which is eroding the edges.

Given the current weather pattern, it's a good bet that there will be several more days of winds from the NW in the next couple of weeks and even though that is a winter direction, it'll help to widen that hole.

The strangest thing is to see the main ice pack as white as it ever was during the winter... but in April when it should be gray!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #59
AC2717

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos
The wind has now completely torn open Black Cat Shoals and there is now open water from the south tip of Black Cat out to FL #83. This is significant because it happened while temps were in the mid-20s, and because historically the wind has used this opening as a "purchase point" to start ripping the ice cover from NW to SE. This larger opening has allowed for some decent wave action to get going which is eroding the edges.

Given the current weather pattern, it's a good bet that there will be several more days of winds from the NW in the next couple of weeks and even though that is a winter direction, it'll help to widen that hole.

The strangest thing is to see the main ice pack as white as it ever was during the winter... but in April when it should be gray!
Wondering if you would be able to post some pictures, you just made me want to run up and turn the engine over just to start the boat up!
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #60
DBA

Default Broads Eye View

There is a good sized open area that is being worked by some breeze today, but the open areas around the docks refroze over night and even now have not thawed. The white snow is more gray today, too, but not much melting.
DBA
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #61
AC2717

Default Pictures

thank you please keep sending them in
Old 04-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #62
CanisLupusArctos

Default Check the Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717
Wondering if you would be able to post some pictures, you just made me want to run up and turn the engine over just to start the boat up!
Even better.... you can see it in the webcam view at www.blackcatnh.com.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #63
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos
Even better.... you can see it in the webcam view at www.blackcatnh.com.
thank you, I frequently go to the web cams through out every day, it drives me nuts not being there
Old 04-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #64
fatlazyless

Default ...ski area closes for the season

It snowed about one inch overnight in Waterville Valley and now there's flurries. Enough so the town plows are out scraping the roads. With almost every trail open, skiing on Easter was like an ideal ski day in early March or late February. Almost no one was there, and today it is closed for the season.

Like why do they bother having a ski area if they close it with some very excellent conditions. Didn't they ever hear of advertising? If Tom Corcoran was still the boss, he'd be promoting the ski conditions on the Boston tv. "Come to WV, where we treat you like a champion," he used to shout while doing a parallel stop that made the snow fly.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #65
SIKSUKR

I'm with you there FLL.I skied at my beloved Cannon yesterday for their last day and the place had midwinter conditions.You know as well as I do though, that they lose money at this time of year.Cannon sold 2 tickets yesterday.Do you want to raise more taxes to subsidize the state run area?Me neither.I guess you'll have to do it the old fashioned way and "earn your turns" on Waterville.Myself,I'm not quite done yet.A couple more at Sugarloaf and Sunday River,then iceout will occur on April 19th so I can win some Winni bling!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #66
Merrymeeting

Well current and nighttime temps notwithstanding, the ice still seems to be slowly going away. More open water showing in Alton and other areas. Wentworth cam shows large open area for the first time.

One warm sunny day with some wind, and night staying above freezing is all we need. Unfortunately looks like at least another week before we get it!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 AM   #67
dmjr

When will Emerson Avaition start flying over the lake looking at the ice?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #68
Merrymeeting

Looks like ice could disappear out to the bandstand in Alton Bay today.

Just in time for the snow!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #69
DBA

Default Rattlesnake Ice Report

The run in yesterday morning for supplies was solid ice. Didn't break through at all. Coming back late yesterday, different story. We broke through 60-70% of the way back. The south side of Rattlesnake is open (new pictures in the gallery). There is even some iceberg movement off the south western tip of the island. But when you come around the westerly end, things are still thick and tight. It's almost like there are two seasons depending on which side of the island you are on. The openings out in front of the house on the northerly side have melded together into one larger opening and the "road" has produced the only open areas away from the shore right now. More pictures as things open up.
DBA
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #70
Chris Exley

Default Should I bring the boat?

Coming up Tuesday to open the cottage on Mirror Lake. Should I plan on bringing the boat? Will I get to launch it? Do you think the ice will be gone by then?
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #71
Just Sold

Bring the boat but plan for it being left at the cottage. You may be able to launch but getting the dock in and navigating from the launch to the dock could be a problem. I have not seen Mirror Lake since my last drive by and photo post from there so maybe someone else who has been by can tell you.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #72
Lakegeezer

Default Overflight report

On a flight this afternoon from Ottawa to Boston, the path went right over the east edge of Winnipesaukee. A great view from 32K feet! Forget about ice-out anytime soon. The broads shows a few dozen swiss cheese like holes, many edges are pulling away and there are big open areas around Rattlesnake. The rest of the lake looks pretty solid. None of that gray look it gets right before iceout. Lakes are frozen north to the border and at least 20 miles south of Winni too. Time to wax the boards and enjoy one more weekend of winter. The boats are going to have to wait.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #73
Resident 2B

Default Still a lot of ice

I drove from Center Harbor to Alton on the west shore between yesterday and today. I do not know how thick the ice is, but we still have 85% to 90% of the lake surface covered with ice based upon what I saw from overlooks and a few other stops. The edges are gone and in places the ice is 50 feet or more from shore, but the lake is very white and with more snow on the way, it should stay white.

The area around the Weirs is looking thin and had water puddles yesterday, but the puddles re-froze last night. Meredith Bay is still ice and there was still ice around the Alton Bandstand around noon today.

I believe we are two to three weeks away from ice-out. I really hope I am wrong. It is time for a boat ride!

R2B
Old 04-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #74
fatlazyless

Saw a large orange and white Coast Guard helicopter fly past at 3pm at maybe 1000' from S Bear Isl-Mark Isl passage and directly overhead and heading west. I waved my hat.......hello Coasties.....nice helicopter......looks and sounds very powerful....much bigger and more powerfull than the NH State Police or WMUR helicopters. Every once in a while, a Coast Guard Falcon jet, or a pair of A10S fighter jets streak past.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #75
jetskier

Default Ice Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B
I drove from Center Harbor to Alton on the west shore between yesterday and today. I do not know how thick the ice is, but we still have 85% to 90% of the lake surface covered with ice based upon what I saw from overlooks and a few other stops. The edges are gone and in places the ice is 50 feet or more from shore, but the lake is very white and with more snow on the way, it should stay white.

The area around the Weirs is looking thin and had water puddles yesterday, but the puddles re-froze last night. Meredith Bay is still ice and there was still ice around the Alton Bandstand around noon today.

I believe we are two to three weeks away from ice-out. I really hope I am wrong. It is time for a boat ride!

R2B
I drove up yesterday and there appears to be thin ice pretty much everywhere. Paugus is still iced over as is Gilford harbor. I think that there is a possibility for an earlier ice out (than 2 weeks) if the storm on Monday churns things up. Otherwise, I would quite agree.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #76
Merrymeeting

Well, the good news is that the ice IS still melting. Disappeared in Alton almost to bandstand last night. Thankfully today's predicted snowfall hasn't happened yet and looks like it might be rain. Monday's mess now looks more like rain than snow too.

We've delayed our tradtional opening from Patriot's Day until later in the week but we're coming, "come h&77 or high water".... it may be both!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #77
screaminspool

Default How much ice left on Wolfeboro Bay?

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the site and check it everyday. I was wondering if anyone could help. I don't seem to have any luck with the Wolfcams. Could someone tell me if you could troll with a small boat at Wolfeboro?

Thanks,
Rick
screaminspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #78
hilltopper

There was some brave souls out there as of 5 days ago. Sounds like some open water, but not alot....

http://pub32.bravenet.com/forum/2670...fetch/843210/2

hilltopper
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #79
phoenix

water temperature 5 degrees colder than last year at this same time
Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 AM   #80
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
water temperature 5 degrees colder than last year at this same time

Could be due to the fact that Ice Out was April 3rd last year. Plenty of time to warm up.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #81
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default From The Citizen - Ice Out story

Dated 4-12

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...185/-1/CITIZEN

Looks like I'll be a loser.. I have 4-28

I see 4 or 5 Early May entries.... including FLL on 5/2.... !

I think the ground hog was off this year too..
Old 04-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #82
DBA

Default Rattlesnake Report after the storm

Hi All,
I've posted some new views to the gallery that confirm the insulation of the ice continues. Even some areas that we all open now have a skim ice / snow substance that is strong enough to withstand the breezes blowing now. The southwest tip, and northeast shore have open water out to 150 feet or so. But the northwest view is much more solid. Maybe the weight will help water saturation and the whole thing will sink soon!
DBA
Old 04-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #83
DRH

Default Interesting Photos

Thanks for the updated ice condition photos, DBA. It does look like we may have to wait a while longer for ice-out.

By the way, DBA, congratulations on becoming a Senior Member!!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #84
Steveo

Thank you for your pics DBA but can they be any more depressing. We are going for the record, heading into May for sure
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #85
Island Girl

Default From where I sit...

It all looks wonderful... and I wish I was there instead of where I am.

Ice out will come when it does... the lake temp did go up a degree today.. it is 39.. last year it was 40 at ice out...

Love to you all
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 04-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #86
kayakn

Ice is still strong enough to hold a big red fox from Smith Point to Sleeper's Island this AM. The fox was very careful with it's footage. But, made it to island shore very easily. I was very happy to see this animal make it to shore. But, then realized that the ice is still thick. Maybe the coming rain/snow mix will push the ice along...
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #87
DBA

Default FINALLY the ice is MOVING some

Hi All,
New pix up on the gallery that show OPEN WATER from west of Diamond and wind pushing and chewing ice on most of the southerly side. Much more hopeful than yesterday's pix! The wind is westerly right now but will be out of the northeast tomorrow and Monday. Between the wind and the rain coming.....there's hope!
DBA
Old 04-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #88
codeman671

We found the ice in the Gilford area to be very thin and basically left an open path wheverer we went. The holes from last week are very large and things are starting to shift.

The further south we went the thinner and softer it was. There was much open water from Ellacoya to Diamond where we turned around. I am surprised at the difference in the last week. If we get rain and wind from the next storm I think it will spell a quick end to the remaining ice. Check out todays pictures in Sunset Bob's photopost. He rode shotgun today and we had a blast!

Last edited by codeman671; 04-15-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:51 PM   #89
AC2717

Default Lilly Pond

Hi All, went up today to do some work on the cottage, came down the bypass road and noted, with excitement, that Lilly pond appeared to be 3/4 ice out! and that was at 8:30 this morning, did not look on the way home, was to tired to rememer! does the saying hold true that about two weeks after Lilly is ice out then Winni is ice out?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #90
Sully

Default Could history be made today?

Good morning gang,

Could the winds that are now approaching us create "ice out" today in the midst of a snow storm????

Would that be a first time in history???

Maybe I'm just thinking too hard.................
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #91
Merrymeeting

Given the weather we've been having, I'm surprised that the water temperature has continued to rise. With 39 degrees eating away from below, the ice structure certainly looks fragile on many of the webcams.

I hope so. Still hoping to open up later this week.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #92
hazelnut

Default Same thoughts

Sully,

I was thinking along the same lines as you are. I looked at the webcams this morning and noticed that whatever ice is left looks fairly fragile. With the predicted Hurricane Force winds approaching I just don't see how that ice can hold up. Maybe it won't be Ice-Out but it will do some major damage.

My April 27th Ice-Out Guess could be in jeopardy after this storm. I will gladly be wrong in the interest of getting this ice outta here!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #93
ApS

Exclamation Holy Cow!

A huge ice floe that had been slowly retreating to about 200 feet away from my dock just got shifted about a hundred feet closer by this morning's wind!

The floe is about 2-miles by 1½-miles, and it is all ice.

(And the power just "blinked"—this is not good).
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #94
AC2717

Default Iceberg Ahead!

Check out Rattlesnake's cam, Icebergs everywhere. Bring on the wind for the week! Rip the ice a new one!
The one time I like this sort of weather!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #95
Pine Island Guy

Default ice is moving!

from the looks of the webcam this morning things are breaking up pretty rapidly... and the lake level is rising rapidly as well!!

here's hoping for a trip to the island and opening up the camp this coming weekend

PIG

Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #96
phoenix

water temperature now 9 degrees colder than last year
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #97
AC2717

Default Oh No!

Pine Island Cam lost its temperature gauge, now how are we going to get the right temp, That is the one I go by
Old 04-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #98
Merrymeeting

Major shift in the ice pack in Wolfeboro Bay. Ice seems to be crumbling in most locations. Ice out by the weekend!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #99
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717
Pine Island Cam lost its temperature gauge, now how are we going to get the right temp, That is the one I go by
Try this web site: http://www.neweather.org/station/

R2B
Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #100
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting
Major shift in the ice pack in Wolfeboro Bay. Ice seems to be crumbling in most locations. Ice out by the weekend!!!
I hope it's late Saturday -- boat in, and win the ice-out contest all in one day! (Perhaps)
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote