Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Coolbreeze

Default Top 10 (or more) things to...

Well, we are set for a week in August and are very excited! I am 37, my wife is 34 and our daughter is 3. We love the outdoors, obviously.
I am always concerned that I don't make the most of the activities that the lakes region has to offer. In reading this forum over the last two years, I know that we are missing alot that hte area has to offer. Keep in mind we have been vacationing up at the lake for some time and we frequent the Wolfeboro, Alton areas of the lake. What are your ideas of sights to see, trails to hike and overall things you like do.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
jkjoshuatree

Smile Mt. Major

This is a great hike for you and the kids (provided they don't mind walking a bit). It's a moderate trail, probably 2 miles up to the summit, but well worth the hike.

Make sure you go on a clear day so you can see the view. It's the prettiest one I've seen (so far).

There's a small parking lot right near the scenic lookouts on Rt. 11 in Alton. I don't think there's a sign but you'll know what I'm talking about when you see the cluster of cars.

Have fun!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Hike up Mt Major in Alton which has free parking at the base off Rt 11 and overlooks the lake.

Mount Washington cruise boat on a dinner-dance. Saturday three hour, theme night. Watch out for the lower bow railing area in front of the bathrooms where someone fell overboard last Halloween.

On a rainy day, cruise all the second hand stores in Laconia: Morgan Memorial, St Vincent dePaul, and a few boutique-antique-junktigue smaller ones down the block from Morgan Memorial. Laconia may be the second hand capital of the whole state.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
jkjoshuatree

Wink A Few More Ideas...

-Breakfast at George's in Meredith.

-Exploring the "Pot Hole" in Sandwhich (it's a cool river area where you can look for frogs, jump in the river, or take a picnic...but don't tell anyone I told you...it's supposed to be for Sandwhich residents only...he he).

-Walking around the shops at Mills Falls in Meredith.

-Having lunch at Garwood's in Wolfeboro...great outdoor seating right on the lake.

-Driving out Tuftonboro Neck Road and exploring all the little side streets...my girlfriend and I saw over a dozen deer in one day.

-Arcades, fried dough, and cotton candy at Weirs Beach.

-The drive-in (remember those?) at Weirs Beach...don't forget bug spray if you decide to sit outside on lawn chairs.

-Spending the day snorkeling and swimming at Blueberry Island if you have access to a boat.

-If it's not an ideal "lake" day, the Squam Lake Science Center can be fun.

Hope these suggestions helped. And I'm sure there will be dozens more within the next few days.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Chris Exley

Default Our top things

Our main thing to do at the lake is stay at the lake. That being said, we usually pick 1 new thing to do every year. One year we took a cruise on the Mount Washington, one year we drove to Mount Washington.

There are some things we do every year.
1) Moultonborough County Store
2) Antique shops on the Wolfeboro side of the lake.
3) Baily Bubble

You could also go to Abenaki Tower, Wright Museum, Libby Museum
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
dmjr

Well....I am kinda exempt from this since I am full time resident. I would suggest a hike up Red Hill to the Fire Tower, a great view and if the tower watchman is there, you can learn alot from him.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
hazelnut

Default Railroad

My twins (3 years old) loved the Winni Railroad Ride from Weirs to Laconia. They got Ice-Cream and paper Train Conductor hats. We plan on making that an annual trip.

More...
Kellerhaus make your own sunday is great.
Funspot on a rainy day.
Mill Falls Marketplace, Pizza at Giuseppi's
Lunch at Town Docks in Meredith
Walking the Boardwalk at the Weirs
The Arcades at the Weirs and the Bumper Cars.

My Kids love this stuff and so do I. I get to relive my childhood doing all this same stuff.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
hazelnut

Default Woops

I re-read the post and I think you were looking for more outdoorsy types of things so I am ammending my list:

Head North and check out:

The Polar Caves
Tram ride up Cannon Mountain (Great Views)
Kangamangus Highway

So much to do so little leisure time.....
Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
GusMan

Default things to do!

Last year my 3 year old *loved* his ride on the Winnipesaukee railroad. We took the Weirs to Lakeport trip and enjoyed it.

I would, however, recommend taking the Weirs to Merideth route and stay in Merideth for a while and then take the trip back. Pizza at Giuseppe's is an excellent suggstion as well!

Cheers...

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
kayakn

Hike/drive Mount Washington, at the base is Great Glen Trails, many hikes and places to catch a swim along the Kangamangus. Also, Kimball Castle trails overlooking the Big Lake in Gliford. When done with this hike, drive east down the road to Ellacoya and have a well deserved dip if it is not too crowded. After all the activities, a must is J B Scoops on route 3 towards Meredith for a great ice cream treat! My favorite is Bailey's Irish Cream!
kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
66WINN

Default The Basin

Take a ride up 93 to the Basin. Hike up the trail beyond the Basin along the river. In late July early August you can swim in the river and slide down the rocks.
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
mets3007

Default Outdoor and Indoor Things To Do

Outdoors:
1.Mount Washington cruise or Sophie Mailboat- entertaining and relaxing
2.Six Gun City- is a nice place for kids she might like that
3.Winni Scenic Railroad - very nice trip for 1 or 2 hrs highly recommended
4.Heskey Park in Meredith is a nice place to just sit back and enjoy the scenery of the lake
5. Mini Golf- plenty of courses Pirate's Cove, Funspot, Volcano, Daytona Fun Park, Logs Of Fun

Indoors:

1. Funspot
2. Boardwalk Arcades

I dont hike so I couldnt not help you there.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #13
MaryS

Default activities:

Up I-93... We enjoyed the bike/walking trail (a paved trail) starting at the Flume and up to Cannon Mtn/Ol Man of the Mountain area....taking the kids on our bike seats..when they were little......then again when the kids are older with their mountain bikes..
Fireworks by boat at the lake is the best.....The Weirs has them all summer on one weekend night if you are not here for July 4th, (where Wolfeboro has the best)...
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
Coolbreeze

Wow! so far so good, you guys have alot of great ideas. Some we already know about, some new to be explored. Keep them coming. Thanks!
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Resident 2B

It is a bit of a ride, but Loon Mountain has some great "caves" in glacier deposited boulders at the top of the mountain. There is a lift ride up, a place to eat at the top of the mountain and a tower in addition to the caves. Make sure you wait until the black flies have all died off. This is often not until mid-to-late July at the summit. You can either ride down on the lift or walk down the ski runs.

Franconia Notch is also close to Loon and there are bikes that can be rented and a great bike path through the notch. At least one of the bike rental places has a bus that brings you up to the top of the pathway, so it becomes an easy down hill ride. The Basin and the Flume are great places to visit along the pathway.

The Old Man is gone, but there is still a lot to see in the Linclon/Franconia area, with less crowds.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #16
RumGuy

Default later

Might I also suggest that the two of you take a bottle of wine down to the Lake, after your daughter has gone to sleep. Enjoy each other, enjoy the Lake. It is such a simple thing, but tends to be overlooked in trying to pack everything else in. Weeknights are obviously quieter.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
Lakegeezer

Default Peppers

Don't forget to stop by Waldo Peppers, near Weirs Beach. Have a lobsta roll, some onion rings and get your hug from Pepper. Nothing like it.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumGuy
Might I also suggest that the two of you take a bottle of wine down to the Lake, after your daughter has gone to sleep. Enjoy each other, enjoy the Lake. It is such a simple thing, but tends to be overlooked in trying to pack everything else in. Weeknights are obviously quieter.
There's a great idea. August evenings by the lake are to be treasured.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #19
WINDinmySOCKIES

Smile

If you go north to the white mountains and do the drive along 112.. picnic and swim at otter rocks..my son calls it "God's Water Park". Or she may be little for that, Storyland is always sweet for little ones, or something as simple as catching her first fish, a campfire at night, with hotdog on a stick for dinner, and marshmallows for dessert. They also have great little nature books on mammals and pond life for little ones. Polar caves are fun too ..not too far. All this should tire her out and then I agree the quiet week night is a great idea. Always did like my kids best when they were sleeping.....problem is now they stay up a lot later than me!
WINDinmySOCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #20
Island Life

Smile boating at night

If you're comfortable driving a boat (and have one), boating at night is one of my favorite activities. Be sure to do it on a quiet, moonlit night with lots of stars. It's incredible.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #21
abay

Try a visit to Storyland. Your 3 year old will love it!
abay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #22
hazelnut

Default Squam is Beautiful

...as is the Holderness Road up through Plymouth and Campton.

On the flip side you could cruise over to 16 up to Conway N. Conway shopping. The wife will love you for that one.

Also, in addition to Story Land my twin 3 year old boys LOVED Santa's Village last year.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #23
joann721

Default If I only had a day...

what would I do:

Breakfast at Georges' - gingerbread pancakes would be a plus if they were the special

drive to squam: take a nature boat ride

Check out the nature preserve at Squam

Lunch: Peppers- for a double lobsta roll & onion rings... with a diet coke of course !!

Spend some time at the weirs... arcades, water slide, go karts

Dinner & a lake cruise on the Mount Washington

Put the kiddies to bed- get that bottle of wine everybody has been talking about and spend some adult time marveling at the beauty & the silence of the lake.

or

I would drive to the top of mt washington and go to story land- stop at Zeps in downtown no conway- but in August - Storyland could be miserably hot.
Enjoy !!

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #24
Phantom

Joann --- I have to thank you for the early morning chuckle !!

Your tagline "frustration is .... " hit home !!