Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Rattlesnakes? Are there any left?

We are desperately trying to document the occurence of Timber Rattlesnakes in the New England Area. Many populations have been wiped out and we are searching for any new and unknown populations to protect and keep the area WILD!

They are critically endangered in Mass and Vermont with only single known population left in New Hampshire. As we know they are now extinct from Maine and Rhode Island. The populations in New York and Connecticut have greatly been reduced and face the ever present loss of habitat.

We are hoping that someone has seen snakes in areas that we do no know.

Please visit our site www.timberrattlesnake.net if you think that you may have seen one or many. This page can help rule out imposters and look-a-likes!

We appreciate your help GREATLY!

Kevin

Looking for Timber RATTLESNAKES, working to save remnant populations in New England. We need to know about sightings and need your help!

Last edited by RattlesnakeHunter; 03-18-2007 at 06:46 PM.
RattlesnakeHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
dpg

FYI - there's a typo in the URL it ends in SNAKE not NSAKE in case you clicked on it and it didn't work.

Nope - never seen one!!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Grant

What a great web site. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
T.H.E. Binz

Default Extirpated

Where is the remaining population in NH? I was told back in the '70s that the timber rattlesnake had been extirpated from all of New England except Connecticut (which really isn't New England anyway).
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.E. Binz
Where is the remaining population in NH? I was told back in the '70s that the timber rattlesnake had been extirpated from all of New England except Connecticut (which really isn't New England anyway).
Oh, Oh, Connecticut not part of New England?? Those are fighting words. I was brought up in MA and NH and have lived in CT since 1971. We in the Nutmeg state consider ourselves to be true blue New Englanders.

In Connecticut there is a known Timber Rattlesnake population in the hills of Glastonbury, just East of Hartford. Aso there are Timber Rattlesnakes in the Blue Hills just south of Boston in Canton, MA.

I have never seen one in the wild and hope not to ever see one.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
jrc

Quote:
... except Connecticut (which really isn't New England anyway).
Most of Connecticut is in New England, but where Yankee fans outnumber Red Sox fans, that is no longer New England.

BTW that also would be a good place to put the rattlesnakes.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Skip

Default NH rattlers.....

Quote:
There used to be a small population on top of Saddleback Mountain in Deerfield on property still owned by the USNH system. Have not heard if any of that particular group remian up there.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
joann721

Default True New Englander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
Most of Connecticut is in New England, but where Yankee fans outnumber Red Sox fans, that is no longer New England.

When I read Carguys response about Connecticut being a part of New England. I immediately thought the same as JRC- if you live in Connecticut and are a member of Red Sox Nation you are a New Englander. If you follow the pin-stripes than like it or not YOU ARE A NEW YORKA !!! ...

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
Fishy Cover

Default Rattlesnakes in Meredith

My son was bitten by a timber rattler in the Chemung section of Meredith in the spring of 2002. He was using a hose at a customer's house and did not see the rattler coiled up inside the hose, sunning himself. It struck him 3 times just above the ankle.

The doctor told him that if he was not a robust 200 pounder it might have killed him. He was stiff and nauseous for several days after.

Fish & Game tried to find the snake without success.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Parker Island Fun

Default yankee fans are worse then snakes

ithas always been said that fish and game has a location from rattles that they watch from time to time in cheshire county that they keep sercet to avoid poaching you should contact them if this is an legit outfit.
Parker Island Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
secondcurve

Grant:

I can't imagine what you would do to a rattle snake after I saw what you did to that poor squirrel......HA HA
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Pineedles

Default Is SteveA Listening?

The purpose of this initial post was to help "protect the Rattlesnake". I anticipated a post on" let me tell you what rattlesnakes did to me". Sure enough, it appeared. Personally, I am afraid of snakes. I screamed like a girl, (sorry for the sexist remark) back in "83 when removing some concrete steps from my CT property and mid lift uncovered a whole nest of the nasty devils.

So, getting back to the original post. I have never seen a rattlesnake on our Moultonborough property in 50+ years. Nor is there any reference to RS encounters in the 125 years on the property; and believe me we were bloggers back then.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Yankee

Kevin,

I have seen a Timber Rattler, or what looks like one coiled up under some big rocks that make up one of my stone walls. I highly suggest that you wander the Scruton Conservation Easement that lies just west of Blue Job Mountain in Farmington. That area has some old growth forest and the lower areas appear to have been never abused by man.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #14
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
Grant:

I can't imagine what you would do to a rattle snake after I saw what you did to that poor squirrel......HA HA
Hate to say it, but...

Tastes just like chicken.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #15
Sunrise Point

Default Is it true???

Fishy Cover...can you give me any additional details? I have a camp on a densely wooded property in the Chemung area of Meredith and yes, I scream like a "girl" if I so much as see a garter snake. I know that I am sharing my little bit of paradise with all local wildlife but had never considered rattlesnakes.

I have hiked in the blue hills area of MA and was aware of their existence in the area...never saw one. Should I be worried when crawling under my camp in Meredith?

Finally, is your son OK?
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Maybe it's just ol' intolerant me.....but why would anyone want to protect rattlesnakes? Last I knew,people died after being bitten.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #17
carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc

I have been a die-hard Red Sox fan all my life.I would say that in Eastern Connecticut Red Sox fans outnumber Yankee Fans by about 65%-35%, as you go west in our state, and cross the Connecticut River, the numbers reverse themselves.

It wouldn't bother me to see the Timber Rattlesnakes go extinct. What good do they serve? and if you get bitten by one, you could possible die from the bite, whether it be from the venom or heart failure.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #18
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
I have been a die-hard Red Sox fan all my life.I would say that in Eastern Connecticut Red Sox fans outnumber Yankee Fans by about 65%-35%, as you go west in our state, and cross the Connecticut River, the numbers reverse themselves.

It wouldn't bother me to see the Timber Rattlesnakes go extinct. What good do they serve? and if you get bitten by one, you could possible die from the bite, whether it be from the venom or heart failure.
For the same reasons you don't want to see black bear or moose or white tail deer or bald eagles or osprey or fisher cats or lynx or beaver or mink or red fox or striped chipmunk or porcupines or red-backed salamanders or anything else in the area go extinct -- 'cause they matter and belong here just as much as we do. That's why.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default RE Is SteveA Listening?

No way... I learned my lesson... I'm staying out of any "wild animal" posts..

PS
snip "I am afraid of snakes." Pineedles

so am I!!

SteveA
Old 03-14-2007, 04:47 AM   #20
Island Girl

Default Great web site

Looking at the pictures of the Timber Rattlesnakes favorite places... I can see why they loved Rattlesnake Island... Most of the upper part of the island looks like that....

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 AM   #21
secondcurve

Chicken? I'll have to keep that in mind. I would shoot any rattlers I see on my property, otherwise wouldn't I be a neglectful father and a tad bit crazy?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #22
Fishy Cover

Default Rattlesnake bites

My son who was bitten by the rattlesnake recovered completely in 3 days and remembers that it was off Chemung road but not the exact address.

BTW, northern water snakes and rattlers have the same color and diamond pattern. Some people who rented next to us a few years ago killed a northern water snake thinking it was a rattler but after their hysteria abated we showed them that it did not have rattles.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #23
Lin

Extremely informative website on snakes, Kevin. I do know the difference with the hognose. We've had them in our horse corral several times along with the black Racer. These sighting are in MA though adjacent to river field/river habitat. The hognose is such a pretender.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #24
Weirs guy

There used to be a large group of various rattlers living near my family camp in Gilmanton on Valley Shores Rd. Maybe some of them still are there?

Also, if your from CT and root for the Jets your out of New England. Only Pats and Sox fans allowed. I move for a vote!!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #25
Sparky

I hope they're not anymore on Valley Shores Rd...my friend has a house there and we visit her often. Is your family still there Weirs Guy?
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #26
abay

Default No rattlers seen in NH

Interestingly enough, although I have travelled throughout the country, the only rattlers I have ever seen have been in Massachusetts. One on the Appalachian Trail in Berkshire County, and the other on Mt. Tom, in the Connectucut River Valley. Never, sorry to say in NH.
abay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #27
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Hummm

Well I am glad to see I am not the only one that doesn't understand why someone would want to protect rattlers.... After growing up in the south east part of Washington St. where Rattlers are all around, they don't worry me at all, I know the warning signs. But what does bug me is that someone would say or indicate, like the website does, that they are not aggressive.... Sure enough they will slither away if they can but usually by the time you hear that rattle they are feeling trapped and threatened and you have to watch out because they will strike. I have also known rattlers to get into interesting spots....Like under the drivers seat of a nieghbors car. Not sure how the snake got there.... but getting the bugger out after the fact was interesting......

Now as for eating as Grant suggested.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #28
RattlesnakeHunter

Ok, lots of responses.

As far as "why would anyone want to protect a rattlesnake"?

Obviously, many people have no real idea of what snakes are really like and believe hype. I know far more than anyone does on the subject and they are actually quite shy and intend you no harm. If you think otherwise then you believe in such non-sense as the tooth fairy and movies like Anaconda(which I keep and breed and they are NOTHING like that and can be quite tame!).

IF a snake finds itself in a bad situation it can bite but it is just trying to live its life with man's intrusion. We are running out of places that are left untouched. If you think the world would be better paved and filled with plastic and video games then my points are missed.

Ignorance creates fear and to be afraid of things because you like to believe in stories puts you right back believing in the Tooth Fairy!

To the people that actually like animals and realize that they have some right to barely exist...

The state of NH knows of only a single population in NH, they know of no others. I have viewed these snakes many times. The population is small, we only hope that there are more. So far, with great effort we have been unable to find any other snakes outside this single group. I spend a great deal of time chasing ghost and following stories, so far this has been nothing more than dead ends and great exercise!

Someone claims her child was bit by a Timber???? THis is shocking to hear. Why do they think it was a Timber? ANy and all information is greatly appreciated..... what happened to his leg?

Generally, a TImber bite can occur with little or no venom = Dry Bite. Most Rattlesnake bites are not fatal and may result in tissue damage at most. We are NOT talking Cobras here, incorrect information to believe that a bite is deadly!!!!! The state of NH has not seen a single Timber bite in well over 100 years..... So any bite is huge info!!

Black Racers and hognose in Mass is of interest....where is the area? In NH Black Racers and Hognose are now becoming rare.....

Any information with detail emailed to me would be great!

Thanks!!!! Kevin
Old 03-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #29
Island Life

RH - We have big black snakes that hang out in/near our pond in Mass. I know nothing about snake identification but someone told me they might be black racers. Sorry - I am NOT a snake person. I am scared to death of them; I'm sure they're (mostly) harmless but I'm still scared of them. This doesn't mean I don't think they have a right to exist and to live on the same property with me. I just really, really don't want to see them. I'm cool knowing there are snakes that live in certain places around my yard; I just avoid those places.

The snakes we have are uniformly black, no other markings that I've noticed as I've been running away from them.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #30
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
For the same reasons you don't want to see black bear or moose or white tail deer or bald eagles or osprey or fisher cats or lynx or beaver or mink or red fox or striped chipmunk or porcupines or red-backed salamanders or anything else in the area go extinct -- 'cause they matter and belong here just as much as we do. That's why.
Well said Grant!

I find it both ironic and perplexing that the so many people that spend so much of their time and money to come to New Hampshire are so often the uneducated one's who fear the natural habitat where they so long to spend their leisure time.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #31
Pineedles

Default Right to life!

Sorry, The Bill of Rights conveys no rights to rattlesnakes, or any other life form other than human life. But we ignore this right, as abortion is legal in the United States.

If you want to see eradication of all snakes because they scare you, then say so! It may not be the right decision, but at least you will have voiced your opinion. I guess I am using this thread as a more broad message than just "wipe out Snakes", or "Save the Polar Bear". It is so evident that most people LOVE animals, but when faced with their direct interaction with them they revert to--- Wipe em out if they interfere with our daily course of life.

I'm not criticizing this position. I merely am suggesting that this is the way we answer polls.

Question #1. Do you support the extinction of Polar Bears?
Question #2. Do you support higher electric bills for heating your home?

I am not saying that one is exclusive or connected to the other, but when it hits home, you know you're going to think about it more.

Confused? Well then sit down an answer the questions that you hear are the controversial issues of the day and then stick to your answers.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #32
ITD

D-oh, I see this thread turning into a Global Warming debate, I hope it doesn't go there. Suffice it to say that a Polar Bear would not think twice about eating you and your family, this snake on the other hand sounds basically harmless. Generally animals like these are good for the environment and SHOULD be protected. There is no way I would kill one if I found it in my yard.

Thanks for the information Rattlesnake Hunter.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #33
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
If you want to see eradication of all snakes because they scare you, then say so!
Hope this wasn't a distortion of MY comment. Yes, I'm scared of them. No, I would never kill them. I love having wildlife on my property: deer, coyotes, turkeys, hawks, foxes and even the occasional bear. And . . . gulp . . . even the snakes, I guess. I love seeing animals and, like Steve A, I too thought the squirrel video was disgusting (sorry Steve, I should have shown my support earlier).

I do appreciate the beautiful markings of many snakes after someone else has found them and pointed them out to me (and I approach cautiously, holding my breath).
Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #34
Sunrise Point

Default Perspective is everything...

Fishy Cover, I am glad that your son had no lasting effects from his bites.

If I come accross one on my property, people will hear my scream as far away as Alton Bay. After I am done screaming, if the snake and I have not died of heart failure, I will run for my camera and hopefully get a picture.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #35
Coolbreeze

RATTLESNAKES!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was too cold up here for poisonous snakes! Son of a gun! I hate snakes, especially POISONOUS snakes. (not that I would ever harm one...GRANT) OH Man, I'm glad I live on an island, boy I'm glad snakes can't swim. Whelp... back to the therapist for a few more sessions.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #36
Newbiesaukee

Smile Increase the therapy as I believe

most snakes swim quite well.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #37
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeHunter

As far as "why would anyone want to protect a rattlesnake"?

Obviously, many people have no real idea of what snakes are really like and believe hype. I know far more than anyone does on the subject and they are actually quite shy and intend you no harm. If you think otherwise then you believe in such non-sense as the tooth fairy and movies like Anaconda(which I keep and breed and they are NOTHING like that and can be quite tame!).

IF a snake finds itself in a bad situation it can bite but it is just trying to live its life with man's intrusion. We are running out of places that are left untouched. If you think the world would be better paved and filled with plastic and video games then my points are missed.
I want to set my record straight here after looking at my post I may have given the impression that I don't care about the Timber rattlesnake. However I do understand they have there place in the echo system, and have every right not to be killed off.

On the flip side, I do have a problem with people that think they are harmless. I have first hand experience with rattlers, so there is no chance of me believing the hype, I have lived with them. Now given that my experience is with Western Diamond back and not Timbers I suppose there tempermants could be different.
I will agree that by nature snakes are shy and don't go looking for trouble. However Rattlers in my experience can be very aggressive once they are threatened. And I have seen them feel threatend in wide open fields(not just when they are cornered). By the time you here that rattle, the situation is generally not good. The snake feels threatend, and intends to strike. In fact in my experience I have never heard the rattle and not seen the snake strike. I have even seen them strike at cars, school buses, and once or twice me on my bike let alone just striking at a hiker. In short they are not innocent little creatures.

Now as far a how poisonous the venom can or can't be. While I do agree with RH that the venom doesn't always get release, I won't agree that they can't be deadly. I know with the Diamond backs I grew up around an Adult although they needed to be treated was not at risk of imediate death and could generally seek help in more then adiquit time. It was another story if it was you young kid. In short size does matter. Now an interesting question for RH here is how does the venom from a Timber compare to that of a Western Diamond Back?

Now the last thing I take note of here...(sorry to pick on you RH) you mention Anacondas, and that you breed them. Which means some sort of domestication, so of course they are going to be fairly tame. Do you have any experience with Anacondas in the wild? If any animal is feed and cared for they tend to be quite tame. However take that food and caring away and the animal reverts back to its wild self and what do you get. Hummm I seem to remember a 30 some odd foot python running around a Florida community a few years back eating cats and dogs..Once again although maybe not a threat to an adult person it is a threat.. in short once again... yes snakes are fine, you leave them alone generally they leave you alone. And yes there are plenty of movies out there that exagerate the dangers, and have put unnessacary fright into people. However in the wild, they are just that wild and unpredictable. And it is this unpredictability that makes it wrong to say that they are innocent, shy, and "intend you no harm". Harm can be both direct and indirict. I would hate to see my dog bit by a rattler and have complications. Sure I would be physically fine but emotionally it would hurt if something happened to my dog.

Last RH, if you indeed care for the slythering creatures of the woods educate people about them. But be real about it. Let them know the reality of the situation. Sure it easy to say that some species are harmless. And that they are by nature shy creatures. But back that up with facts. What are the more poisonous species? How does the venom of one compare to the venom of another? As I have said I lived with rattlers all around out west, but I was educated, I learned how serious the threat was or wasn't. And I learn how to respond if attacked.

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 03-14-2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: I wasn't fished when I published.... ichy submit trigger I quess
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #38
RattlesnakeHunter

Actually,

In historic times there were many even in Maine into Canada... the weather was colder back then and this climate plenty warm enough for them to live.

Yes, GLobal warming would have been good for them if any had survived...not good for the Polar Bears....

THings are not getting better.....

When is the world's population too much? What is critical mass?

Kevin
Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #39
BBS2

Default thanks!

Thanks RH...
Although I am not a huge fan of reptiles, that was a fascinating website!
We had a garter snake live in our basement one winter I would go down to hang laundry or get something out of the freezer, I would see it along the sill. Cool! We didn't have a mouse in the house! But we had one big fat snake to let out through the bulkhead in the spring!!
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #40
Grant

I, for one, would welcome the opportunity to add a timber rattler to my list of species encountered in NH.

Years ago, hiking in the Pemi Wilderness in the Whites, I happened upon a lynx that was stalking some spruce partridges on a remote section of trail. I don't know who was more surprised. But that has stuck with me, just like my first moose, first bear, etc. Now I'm trying to afford those same opportunities for my kids, as it can only enhance their appreciation for the region's diversity.

I remember seeing black racers a number of times as a kid. One on our property, too. It was quite long, and moved really quickly.

Another thing I'd love to see: one of those elusive fisher cats.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #41
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
I hope they're not anymore on Valley Shores Rd...my friend has a house there and we visit her often. Is your family still there Weirs Guy?
Sparky, my family sold our lot a few years back (on Valley Shores Drive as I'm reminded). We were the lot across the street from the Davies Place on the pond side of the cul-de-sac. I haven't seen too many snakes since I was a kid up there, but there was an old abandoned lot across from the A-framed house we used to call the snake pit for a very good reason.

Now?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #42
Sparky

My friend lives next door to the Davies...wait until I tell her what used to lurk in her neighborhood I assumed the snakes must be gone as my friend and the Davies have dogs and they probably would have come across them on their walks.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #43
catman2

Default Rattlesnakes?

I remember my uncle telling me when he was a kid, there were rattlesnakes everywhere. I believe they even named an island after the snakes.
Anyway, he told me he was walking through the woods one day and he fell into a large pit with hundreds of rattlesnakes. He thought he was dead but guess how he was saved.............that's right! The flying squirrels came to his rescue again and flew down and picked all the snakes and flew to a place he called "East Chumung" and dropped them off. Boy, if it wasn't for those flying squirrels, my uncle wouldn't be here to tell me these stories.....how sad would that be? That was quite a while ago so I understand there is only one rattlesnake left and last we knew he tried to mate with a garden hose and nothing really happened............except some guy learned not to interrupt a rattlesnake trying to mate.........
catman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #44
Coolbreeze

Hey Grant,
We saw what we believe to be a Fisher Cat at the island last year. The Cat was slightly bigger than a Bob Cat and had different markings. We caught a quick view of him, you know just enough to say that isn't a normal cat when he(she) spotted us and darted into the thick woods. Pretty cool cat.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:51 AM   #45
MJM

We had a Bobcat one winter in our woods (Wolfeboro). Have never seen a Fisher, and hope to keep it that way for the sake of our sweet and overly curious Golden Retriever.

This link was in a different forum - good pics and info.
http://www.pusscats.com/Fisher_Cat.htm
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #46
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
My friend lives next door to the Davies...wait until I tell her what used to lurk in her neighborhood I assumed the snakes must be gone as my friend and the Davies have dogs and they probably would have come across them on their walks.
Its a small world after all... You'll have to tell the Davies the old neighbors from across the street say hi.

Don't tell the Davies this, but I remember as a kid watching a snake (don't remember what type) eat a frog right where their garage is today! The remnants of the "pit" were pretty well grown over the last time I checked, but it was an old either slab or filled in foundation in a clearing where I described earlier.

Now?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #47
ApS

Lightbulb Energizer Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life
"...Sorry - I am NOT a snake person. I am scared to death of them; I'm sure they're (mostly) harmless but I'm still scared of them...The snakes we have are uniformly black, no other markings that I've noticed as I've been running away from them..."
Then you need a "watch-rabbit"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPIR3pclYw

GOooooooooo...bunny!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #48
BrownstoneNorth

Default Happy Saint Patrick's Day :-)

Hi there,

New member from Wolfeboro recoiling (npi) in horror at the idea of rattlesnake preservation, and cracking up at the same time because of the timing of this discussion. Patrick will always be a saint to me for driving the snakes out of Ireland, and I'm not even Catholic.

Drink up!
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #49
10 Year Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721
When I read Carguys response about Connecticut being a part of New England. I immediately thought the same as JRC- if you live in Connecticut and are a member of Red Sox Nation you are a New Englander. If you follow the pin-stripes than like it or not YOU ARE A NEW YORKA !!! ...

There is no "R" in New Yauk
10 Year Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #50
RattlesnakeHunter

Default What a wonderful world it will be....

if man continues to wipe out EVERYTHING that does not serve a purpose to its needs. All dangerous animals seem to fit this role and we have done a great job in devastating most species. Man is HUGELY ignorant..... species have a right to life regardless of what we think of them. If we decide we don't like something because we saw a scary movie then we react and destroy it. The logic of this process is terrible, mankind has been on this planet for a very short time and we are ruining it and wiping out mass species due to our intolerence and shortsightedness. The future looks even worse, out numbers are out of control and can we really expect that we are not going to hit the wall in another 100 years?

I could easily go off on a million tangents here.

SO if Rattlesnakes should not live(most if not all are already gone in the North East) then Great White sharks, Polar Bears(going if Global warming has its way), Tigers(Siberrian Tiger is almost GONE....next five years may make the remnant Siberian Forest safer with its loss), Wolves......

Great logic, it is scary therefore we should not save it and continue to destroy it...

Your kid Timmy shot out my window....that pisses me off, with ignorant logic I would have to goto jail with my solution....that is if they caught me!

Ok, I stirred the pot - Kevin
Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #51
Cub Run

Great post RH,
I am not particularly enamored with snakes but I like them a lot more than rats and mice. Your point is well made. We all need to share the earth. It belongs to all of us....
Cub Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #52
Island Life

Smile

I share your views Rattlesnake Hunter. Thanks for posting.

By the way, I caught a show you guys did at the NE Aquarium last February. It was great.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #53
KonaChick

RH...Thank you for the information. I guess I had heard about the timber but never really believed there were any around. It appears that is not the case after reading these posts. While the chances of being bitten by one are fairly low as I understand it, can you give us some advice on what to do if we are ever in the situation of being in the vinicity of one or heaven forbid even being bitten?? Are hospitals in the Lakes Region able to deal with this situation? Thanks for any advice!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #54
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Actually..

I don't think you have anything to worry about since they have been exteriminated years back. You have the same chance of being eaten by an albino two headed great white shark in your own bathtub....

Generally, with todays treatment the bite is not a life threatening issue as a whole.....

SOme people have even become envenomated and did NOT seek any medical care. The venom attacks tissue and red blood cells....so the damage is generally local to the wound!

That is why I am desperate to see if any are left in the area.... Southern NH is being built up fast and we are racing to find another population...at least to secure the genetics of it!

Kevin
Old 03-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #55
Boater

Quote:
Yes, GLobal warming...not good for the Polar Bears....
Quote:
Polar Bears(going if Global warming has its way)
With all due respect, I think you should stop using Algore propoganda as a source of scientific information. Here are some opposing points of view:

Polar bears defy extinction threat
Polar bear numbers up, but rescue continues
Environment News - Polar Bear Populations Are Growing
Global Warming: The Cold, Hard Facts?

Man-made Global Warming may be real and it may not be. Polar Bears may be in danger, and they may not be. These issues need to be honestly and openly debated (without a political agenda) within the scientific community and that is not happening. What is most telling is that so many who speak out about this act as though there is no debate and that any one who disagrees with their politically correct conclusions should be decertified or fired. What more do you need to know? Keep an open mind.
Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #56
SAMIAM

Good point Boater....and glad you brought it out. It's kind of ironic that just a few days after Al Gore received his award,it was revealed that the gas and electric bills on his air conditioned mansion exceeded $30,000......not to mention the fuel for his private jet travel.This was barely reported in a media that fawns over his every move.Sickening !
Oh,and about the polar bears.The film of the poor little cubs,struggling to save themselves on the dwindling ice flows was ANIMATED....which made Inconvenient Truth ineligible for an oscar under the rules.Conveniently overlooked by the fawning.....oops...already said that.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #57
RattlesnakeHunter

Default If you don't think we are altering our

Environment then you need to pull your head out of the ground!

Forget Al Gore.....Forget POLITICS!!!

I could care.....but, if you don't think Global warming is a realistic result of Man you have your eyes half way shut!

Forget that fact even...there are some SERIOUS problems coming...

The Polar Bears only serve as an example.... the warmer weather that is occuring is preventing the yearly ice bridges which allow them to their winter hunting grounds. If this continues it will have a serious impact on their pops....

You could be one of these people that "Poo Poo" things until it is right in their face... Actually, it will be in your face...just wait another 10 years to see the results. Things are changing very fast..

Are you one of these people that claim extinction is just part of the cycle and Man does not make things go extinct? Since when are we part of nature in our Video mind melted plastic loving world?

Kevin
Old 03-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #58
LIforrelaxin

Default Cycles

Well you know we could sit around and worry to death and fight over deadly emmisions into the atmosphere and animals going extinct. Or we could realize that right now the best things to do is see what nature has in store for us. People worry about global warming a little to much. You know we have to let things play out mother nature knows how to correct her self. It seems as though people want to point fingers and assign blame rather then admit to the fact that we are all, every single one of us including Al Gore for the situation the world finds it in. Sure we need to work on cleaning things up and they are being worked on, but if we rush things we may not like the results. (ie. sure ethanol in gas works well for daily drivers, but has caused nothing but problems in boats and show cars). People need to chill a little.

All the calmity around global warming riminds me of the when the Glaciers retreated on Mt. Rainer some time back (shortly after the St. Helens eruption) and everyone thought Rainer was going to blow. Then all of a sudden the Glaciers stop retreating and started growing again. Why we ask? Because it is mother nature manipulating our world, reminding us who is in charge. There isn't enough recorded data to tell us what the 1000 or 2000 thousand year weather cycles are like. So we can all run scared and yell and scream or we can work on what we can work on to help, and let things happen... I personally am tired of all the yelling and screaming liberal enviormentalists, Nature evolves, creatures Die, sometime to extinction, it an evolving world. Let it evolve... if it didn't we wouldn't be where we are today....

Anyways I will stop my rambling here...... but people have to stop whining about the things they can't control.....
Old 03-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #59
ITD

Money, its about money. Look at Al Gore, $60 million this year alone, most from "Global Warming".

I predicted this is where this thread was headed and now I've stirred the pot, released the CO2, used an old picture out of context to show how the poor polar bears are drowning, deduced temperature levels from hundreds of years ago to within 0.5C by looking at tree rings and ice cores , wait a minute I didn't do that, I've only stirred the pot.

WHAT ABOUT THE RATTLESNAKES????
Old 03-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #60
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Ummmmm .......

Like I said.....where are the Rattlesnakes??

Kevin
Old 03-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #61
SIKSUKR

Quote:

I could care.....but, if you don't think Global warming is a realistic result of Man you have your eyes half way shut!

The Polar Bears only serve as an example.... the warmer weather that is occuring is preventing the yearly ice bridges which allow them to their winter hunting grounds. If this continues it will have a serious impact on their pops....

You could be one of these people that "Poo Poo" things until it is right in their face... Actually, it will be in your face...just wait another 10 years to see the results. Things are changing very fast..

Are you one of these people that claim extinction is just part of the cycle and Man does not make things go extinct? Since when are we part of nature in our Video mind melted plastic loving world?

Kevin
I kind of had a feeling this post was trolling to head in this direction.I know,I know,the sky is falling.I think we should make republicans extinct and that would make most liberals feel a whole lot better about the world we live in.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 03-21-2007 at 02:07 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #62
LIforrelaxin

Quote:

Kevin
Quote:
Like I said.....where are the Rattlesnakes??

Kevin
Humm I don't know Kevin what about the Rattlesnakes

And yes things go extinct by virtue of the cycle of things.... man is reposible for not going extinct by evolving with the changing times.........

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 03-21-2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: cause I need to take grammer more seriously
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:00 AM   #63
RattlesnakeHunter

Yeah...I love the cyle of times comment.

Yeah, tell your grand kids about the Tigers, Elephants, Clouded Leopards and TONS of other animals that once were alive. You can see them in books and maybe at a zoo....

"What happened to all of them?"

"Oh, just the cycle of things".

I view your statement with a bit more levity..

Man destroys everything in its path unless it fits his needs, That is NOT part of the cycle.....

Why is MANKIND so much above everything else? Why are we so precious and everything else is disposible without a right?

We move into an area, we build houses and push the ecosystem into little pockets and then get angry if a skunk digs holes in our lawns?

Kevin
Old 03-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #64
SIKSUKR

OK,I saw enough of this stuff yesterday on the news by a certain oscar winning ex vice president.Man is evil AND the sky is falling.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #65
Boater

Quote:

Geez, you are still using the Polar Bears as an example? Their population is INCREASING. Bad example!

It must be nice always being right Kevin. You don't KNOW what is going to happen any more than I do. Apparently anyone who doesn't see it your way has their head in the sand. What an attitude!

Some very qualified climatologists have expressed doubts about these "Sky is Falling" conclusions. Why wouldn't you acknowledge their concerns and admit that there are 2 sides to this debate? Which side is right? You don't KNOW and I don't KNOW. Let's all keep an open mind and listen to ALL climatologists before we impose a politically correct solution that could damage our economy.

I have seen much evidence that the earth is constantly warming and cooling. Many climatologists have suggested that increased C02 levels are the RESULT of global warming, not the cause. At the same time we learn that other planets in our solar system are also experiencing global warming. Could it be that changes in the Sun are affecting all the planets? No one knows for sure. That's my whole point.

Whether man-made global warming is real or not, I think we should take better care of the earth and reduce emissions as much as possible. That is a no-brainer. It is just the closed minded approach that I object to.

I was horrified to learn that Congress used Algore, of all people, as an expert witness on global warming. If I were in Congress I would want to hear from a panel of actual climatologists, some that agree with man-made global warming and some that do not. Give an open hearing to both sides and then make a decision. Why is that so unreasonable?
Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #66
RattlesnakeHunter

First off, I have no interest in what Al Gore says and you are right..the world is getting better every day...soon it will all be pavement!

Kevin
Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #67
SAMIAM

The moonbats are getting thicker.....what about cockroaches,black flies and mosquito's....they are also natures little creatures.
I'll bet that Rattlesnake has already purchased carbon credits out of guilt from using his A/C.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #68
secondcurve

Kevin:

Do you live in a house and drive a car? How about your house, is it heated by oil, wood or natural gas? Please answer honestly.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #69
ApS

Question Go North?

Kevin,

There are indications that critters, diseases, plants, insects (and the birds that follow their hatchings), are slowly relocating their populations and spreading northwards in our hemisphere. (With Europe being the most-studied).

Because of this, is there an active search in Canada for remnant Timber Rattlesnake populations?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #70
RattlesnakeHunter

The Rattlers are not spreading North..that is for sure!! There are not many to actually go North. I do believe that animals are slowly spreading North if they can.

Yes, I own a car and burn fossil fuels...no question! My point is that I realize this and appreciate things wile others have the ideals that "Oh, I don't like things like sharks and rattlesnakes, they should all be dead and why would anyone care if they were allgone".

I HATE that!

Kevin
Old 03-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #71
camp guy

Default Rattlesnakes

A bit off the topic, specifically, but still about rattlesnakes: Wouldn't it be an interesting turn in developments if we were to find out through research that in fact the snake was actually named after the island. Have a very nice day.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #72
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Still Wishing....

I can only hope there are some left.....

pave the UNIVERSE!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #73
wildwoodfam

Default Sighting of a Timber - 2003 in Southwestern NH - Monadnock Region

Northside - along the Pompelly (sp?) ridge - I sighted a timbersnake 3 years ago. Late September early afternoon hiking up the mountain - on a clearing - rock ledge - with lots of deadwood around - was an impressive sight. I did not stick around to hear it rattle - nor did i get close enough to worry it enough - but the friend I was hiking with - a biologist from the school we were both teaching - identified the snake, we paid homage and moved on - quickly and calmly. I also posted somewhere else in here that I was a victim of a watersnake - scared the daylights out of me - I shreeked so loudly that the neighbors came rushing out of their cottage - they thought I'd been run over by a boat!
My wife found it VERY humorous!!

Last edited by wildwoodfam; 04-11-2007 at 08:26 PM.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #74
Keith

Default Milksnake

Here is a pic of a milksnake I rescued from an angry woman's basement before it got broomed to death. Fish and game said it was a baby reticulated python....

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #75
RattlesnakeHunter

Default A Retic it is NOT!!!!

I know those guys and that is not even close...glad to see you saved the poor little guy!!!

I had someone bring me a baby that they claimed was a Timber Rattlesnake...they cut the last 1/3 off its body off with scissors..... and it was still alive... Very brutal to say the least!

As far as that Ridge sighting....what area is this? Town...any other landmarks so i can look on a Topographical map?

Thanks - Kevin
Old 04-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #76
Keith

Default correction

sorry, couldnt think of what they said at the time, they said burmese python.

I have a few ideas of a few locations to search, untouched with rocky southern exposures, where I have heard of sightings. There was a massive wildfire in the 50s in one location, so I checked the burn areas a few years back to see if these locations were burned over, and they did not seem to be. I can get some maps and GPS coords together if you want to go for a pretty severe bushwack this spring when they would come out, if they are not all gone.

As a side note, I used to have a rattle from one my great grandfather killed in the 60s in Tuftonboro with an ax, and to my knowledge one has not been seen since in the area.

One residence in the area said they used to have to shoe them off the porch every morning where they would be sunning, so they cemented in the dens.

email me if you are interested, keith@wolfeboro.net
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #77
wildwoodfam

Default Dublin NH - off 101

Quote:

As far as that Ridge sighting....what area is this? Town...any other landmarks so i can look on a Topographical map?

Thanks - Kevin
Was on Mount Monadnock's Pompelly Ridge - coming up from the northern side of the mountain - off the Dublin Trail (near the lake) on 101.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #78
ApS

Wink Overall, not a BAD year....

Let's see....

We've had threads on viscious fisher-cats, confiscatory tax bill HB925, arsenic in our wells, a bad maple syrup season, dock tarantulas, mountain lions, bears, a major loon die-off, power failures, water snakes, stolen Jet-Skis and plows, an overflowing lake, floods, drunk boaters ramming islands, black snakes, new Winnipesaukee speed zones, a rained-out summer, the state's disavowing its own on-line boater testing, discriminatory marinas, nearly no ice, a snowmobile fire, frightened kayakers, government intrusions, a miserable 2007 winter (no snow), a miserable 2007 winter (too much snow), an earthquake and now, rattlesnake dens.

Someday, we'll have this lake all to ourselves!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #79
RattlesnakeHunter

Default I am sure you are right...

Someday the Lake will be there just for people like it should be. A lovely paved perimeter leading to its dead shores.... nothing but people, motor boats and hip hop.

Then you will have it all to yourself...

Why do people think that man deserves everything at the expense of everything?

THose Loons....just tired of hearing them WHINE!

SATAN
Old 04-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #80
ITD

Quote:
Someday the Lake will be there just for people like it should be. A lovely paved perimeter leading to its dead shores.... nothing but people, motor boats and hip hop.

Then you will have it all to yourself...

Why do people think that man deserves everything at the expense of everything?

THose Loons....just tired of hearing them WHINE!

SATAN
Now there's a nice post that should encourage anyone who sees a rattlesnake to run to their computer and try to look you up.

I'm pretty sure APS was invoking his own brand of SARCASM. I find your post on the otherhand disturbing.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:35 AM   #81
ApS

Smile SOME rare critters still around, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
"...I'm pretty sure APS was invoking his own brand of SARCASM..."
Yup—just joking around and a tangential thank-you to Webmaster Don for such "scary discussions" to even take place at this idyllic lake's website. I made certain to include the highlighted mountain lion reference because I got scolded for starting a mountain lion thread a few years ago.

BTW: A pair of Hooded Mergansers paddled by yesterday afternoon. They are a rare visitor and a very shy bird. It looked like the female had just caught a small crayfish! (The crayfish I can't ever find here). After spending long hours trying to photograph them in the past, I'll just include a file photo of the male here.

They are extremely fast flyers and the smallest of America's mergansers. They are remarkable in having yellow eyes, transparent membrane "goggles" over their eyes (engaged when viewing underwater thingys), and a bill lined with "teeth".

I've never seen them after our large patches of Winnipesaukee ice go away. (Or before the ice arrives).

Or below, for some smaller copyrighted shots...

Old 04-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #82
RattlesnakeHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Now there's a nice post that should encourage anyone who sees a rattlesnake to run to their computer and try to look you up.

I'm pretty sure APS was invoking his own brand of SARCASM. I find your post on the otherhand disturbing.
I find your post boring......

Political correctness is your hobby?

SANTA
Old 04-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #83
mg2107

It should be disturbing because it's not too far from reality !
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #84
Skip

Default From the cook's corner....

Quote:

SANTA
Curious,

Is it true that rattler tastes like chicken....if prepared correctly?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #85
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Humm.... Santa or Satan

Congratulations! Rattlesnake, santa, satan... or whatever

You are the first to make my ignore list!

Way to Go!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #86
ITD

Quote:

SANTA
Actually no, but I'm willing to bet it's yours, except when you run up against someone who doesn't share your beliefs, then you get nasty.

Anyway, I will leave you with these boring words of wisdom;

"A man who believes in nothing will fall for anything."

- Malcolm X
Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #87
RattlesnakeHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Curious,

I bet it does but it has lots of bones.....

Did your Mommy help you with that one?

Timmy
Old 04-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #88
RattlesnakeHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Actually no, but I'm willing to bet it's yours, except when you run up against someone who doesn't share your beliefs, then you get nasty.

Anyway, I will leave you with these boring words of wisdom;

"A man who believes in nothing will fall for anything."

- Malcolm X
You think political correctness is my hobby? Woa...... Not even close JACK!

I love closed minded ignorance..... Those people are the BEST! They don't like to really think about things, they take without thought and somehow feel that they deserve everything. I think just a bit different. Defend your ignorance and I will defend MINE!

Your quote falls short of this situation by a few hundred miles, do you actually remember what you are typing about when you reach the end?

Sylvester Tinklebaum
Old 04-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #89
Skip

Talking Even chickens have bones....

Quote:
I bet it does but it has lots of bones.....

Did your Mommy help you with that one?

Timmy
Nope, Mom had no input whatsoever.

What tickled my curiosity is the variety of movies (particularly westerns) and shows I've seen where eating snake has been on the diet.

More particularly was a recent episode of Man vs. Wild where Bear almost ate an endangered rattler while traversing the Moab desert.

Too bad he didn't, perhaps my question would have been answered more appropriately!
Old 04-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #90
RattlesnakeHunter

Default If it makes you happy...

the (Known)NH population of Endangered Timbers is probably no more than 30 or so animals. They suffer from most everything we do.... it would be kind of nice if we would just let a few live!

There will be a day when a child will open a book and share the same fascination for animals recently extinct that present day children have for dinosaurs! Pretty sad what took eons to become extinct in history takes only a short time to occur when man shares the same space.

In our lifetimes we are going to see the passing of MANY species and what future is that?

Roadkill
Old 04-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #91
Weirs guy

Quote:
Curious,

Oh, my, Farve. I'll tell you Skip, I would not have expected that level of 3rd degree burn from you! You are a man of extra ordinary magnitude.

Now?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #92
Skip

Wink Fire up the grill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
Oh, my, Farve. I'll tell you Skip, I would not have expected that level of 3rd degree burn from you! You are a man of extra ordinary magnitude.
Ah, just for you my friend.....a special treat!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #93
ApS

Talking Learned-Counsel APS For the Defense!

Obviously, RH is a Herpetologist—or perhaps just a passionate hobbyist in them "Herps".

While "herps" such as timber rattlesnakes don't get much respect here, they're the "canary in the coal mine" for species that could disappear.

But what will such a hobbyist be saying in the year 2057?

(I've done a little re-wording to the original post here):

Quote:
For 2057, we are desperately trying to document the occurrence of Loons in the New England Area. Many populations have been wiped out and we are searching for any new and unknown populations to protect and keep the area WILD!

They are critically endangered in Mass and Vermont with only single known population left in New Hampshire. As we know they are now extinct from Maine and Rhode Island. The populations in New York and Connecticut have greatly been reduced and face the ever present loss of habitat.

We are hoping that someone has seen Loons in areas that we do no know.

Please visit our site wwwSearchingForAnyLoonsRemainingnet if you think that you may have seen one or many. This page can help rule out imposters and look-a-likes!

We appreciate your help GREATLY!

Kevin

Looking for Loons , working to save remnant populations in New England. We need to know about sightings and need your help!
There...Fixed it.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #94
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Gee.....you went DEEP

on that one....

You should really try for something a bit more involved and more demanding of your few lingering brain cells. That witty notion why not post Rattlesnake Recipes..... sharp, dreadfully sharp!

Funny you use the slogan with the word "Ignornace" in it. You cleary suffer a form of it and you fail to have the wit needed to make you amazing.

Do you have all of your teeth?

Love Muffin
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #95
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Sunshine...

Quote:
Since you are obviously the type to stand by the road and cheer on passing cars on then this is a PERFECT inside activity for you. You have been amazed by "Skip" and this is truely something. Do you find yourself playing hide and seek with your mirror?

It's the oldest one in the book! Ignorant jerk that beats his chest if someone beyond his limited views talks about saving some useless species.

"Save the baby Harp Seal"

= "Yeah, save the cute furry little seals so there will be some for me to club to death too"!

Wit beyond the sharpness of a marble.

Sylvester
Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #96
ITD

Quote:
Ah, just for you my friend.....a special treat!
Actually you can get fried rattlesnake here:

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...=1154654628521

when it is in season. Comes on a plate cut up into little cubes, battered and deep fried. It does taste like chicken and is a little rubbery and a little pricey $14.95. Don't think I would get it again though....
Old 04-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #97
SIKSUKR

I think it's time for someone to go away.This forum doesn't need this kind of trolling and lashing out when when the poster is called out.Please Don.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #98
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Just for the record....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
I think it's time for someone to go away.This forum doesn't need this kind of trolling and lashing out when when the poster is called out.Please Don.
I have been quite serious about the Timber Rattlesnake stuff hoping that someone may know something that the State of NH does not. We are getting quite desperate to locate another population. Southern NH has built up so fast , land values have sky rocketed and the hope of finding another population and protecting is fading quick. The area has a longtime history of this animal and it is an act of desperation looking for any new leads. The state has nearly lost hope and I am beating the bushes to see if there is anything left.

It seems that there are some snake haters or non-animal lover's here that find it funny to make fun of this point. Wildlife has enough problems as it is...

I can sling when they fling!

Kevin
Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #99
Weirs guy

Quote:
We are getting quite desperate to locate another population.
And your flaming has made sure that none of us will help you in your endeavor.

And thanks to Skip and ITD I now know what to serve for lunch during bike week!

Seacrest out.

Now?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #100
RattlesnakeHunter

Quote:
And your flaming has made sure that none of us will help you in your endeavor.

And thanks to Skip and ITD I now know what to serve for lunch during bike week!

Seacrest out.
You could really offer nothing, you obviously know nothing and you think that people that actually flame me first are victims?

You three ride around destroying the landscape in your scooters? You rank in the limited wit department. If you really think I am crushed because I am now "devalued" by your gang of intellectual midgets you are clearly mistaken.

We could have helped an endangered species but we instead chose to joke about serving it up for dinner. The two don't go together, if someone actually cared about another species then they would try to help.... it is the people that don't know a thing about it but need subject to sharpen their third grade charm. I think the three of you need to get together to collaborate on your next series of post, break new ground and use words that exceed six or seven letters!

The Rattlesnake you claim to eat at your next Ronco Big Wheel Party are actually Western Diamondbacks..... not endangered yet. Just brutally exploited and forced out of their dens with gasoline! The same gasoline that ruins the ground water and poisons the land for every lifeform. But you would not care because you are not what?

What could it be?

Peek a Choo