Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2019, 05:34 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ... killing a duck?

Hey, here's an item from yesterday's Sept 4, 2019 www.conwaydailysun.com about some students from Kennett High School in Conway, while attending a football practice camp at Camp Winaukee in Moultonborough on Lake Winnipesaukee, and they posted a video on social media that shows a duck being killed with a broom.

Posting that video was a very dumb move ..... what were they thinking?

Oh well ..... chalk this one off to "boys will be boys" and this stuff happens. I can recall a rest period spent watching some other campers playing frog ball at age-9 with a canoe paddle and a live bull frog back at Camp Litchaven summer camp, way back in 1961 ..... with that poor frog getting totally smashed up ... except there was no social media and smart phones, present .... back then.

As the saying goes ...... boys will be boys?

Good grief!
Joebon (10-31-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 05:43 AM   #2
Barney Bear

Default Ugh!

Is this post really necessary? 🐻
Barney Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Is this post really necessary? ��
I agree but it is a lakes region story, and after all its all about the wonderful wonderful wonderful students.

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/...1b769e8cb.html
Apparently, the Kennett High School football team is known as the "Eagles" so an argument can be made that it's just a natural predatory act for Eagles to beat on a duck in Lake Winnipesaukee?
Old 09-05-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Punishment?

Those involved will be suspended for "up to three games".

How about kicked off the team? Had I been that stupid, the school wouldn't have to suspend me; my parents would have been taken care of that... and more!

Dave
LIforrelaxin (09-25-2019), Paugus Bay Resident (09-06-2019), Top-Water (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
camp guy

Default ...killing a duck?

brooms today...AK-47's tomorrow. Sick. Should be off the team, period.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-07-2019), Top-Water (09-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I agree. Off the team!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-05-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #7
fatlazyless

'Fish & Game Clarifies Duck Charge Decision' ..... a long article in today's Sept 6 Conway Daily Sun, plus there's three letters to the editor from local Conway residents expressing their opinions.

One dead duck has about as much importance as one dead squirrel killed by a passing car so posting the video is what attracted all the attention, plus it's the local high school football team that's involved ....... oh well? ..... what would Justice Antonin Scalia say?
Old 09-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #8
Barney Bear

Default Apples and Oranges

Accidentally hitting a squirrel while driving and deliberately killing a duck in this manner are not the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-07-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Wow... maybe they should be exterminated... just in case they grow up to be mass murderers?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
8gv

Some level of stupid/cruel has always existed.

Now it gets on video.

That brings an extra level of stupid as it diminishes deniability.

Some would argue that video and social media increase the stupidity.

Hopefully everyone grows up sometime.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Imagine if it was one of our beloved Loons that was killed by these punks!! Oh my God, the community and this forum would be up in arms, but for a duck...meh, no big deal!!

Jeffrey Dahmer started off by killing defenseless animals for no reason too...

Dan
Hillcountry (09-07-2019), LIforrelaxin (09-25-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
fatlazyless

.......well ......as Gomer Pyle used to say ...... golleeee & shazzzaammmm!!! ..... that NH Fish & Game does everything from adjudicating a prickly local situation involving the Kennett High School football team, Camp Winaukee summer camp in Moultonborough on beautiful Melvin Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee ...... and a dead duck ..... probably a Mallard that got lured onto the shore with some food to eat ..... Mallards are very trusting when there is a free food hand-out

'Fish & Game Clarifies Duck Charge Decision' ...... Sept 6, 2019 ... Conway Daily Sun ..... and, very definitely worth reading ..... maybe even twice ........ imagine a working link here! ....

...... oh yes ..... NH Fish & Game ....... you gotta read that news article in today's Conway Daily Sun ..... from adjudicating a dead duck, beat down with a broom, and posted with a short movie clip on social media ..... to searching for a frozen hiker on Mt Washington ..... to re-constructing the state boat launch down the southern tip end of Alton Bay ..... the state needs to get more funding directed to what the NH Fish & Game is all about.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-07-2019 at 09:42 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Imagine if it was one of our beloved Loons that was killed by these punks!! Oh my God, the community and this forum would be up in arms, but for a duck...meh, no big deal!!

Jeffrey Dahmer started off by killing defenseless animals for no reason too...

Dan
That's what I thought also when I read this. When kids are cruel, it's not a good sign.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #14
ITD

These kids should be sent for psychiatric evaluations not slapped on the hand. One of them is probably a future mass shooter. Aberrant behavior like this should be addressed, not coddled.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-07-2019), ishoot308 (09-06-2019), Top-Water (09-07-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Red Flag?

Is this not the basis for red flag laws? And we excuse it because they are under 18? Granted the immaturity factor, but when you severely punish such behavior, I believe there is a carry over effect to other youngsters. When I and friends wanted to do stupid things in HS , we were vividly aware of what happened to other kids. There was little awareness of the effects on adult criminals. I don't think that awareness level has changed much. And, there is still the attitude, "It's OK, we're under 18, they can't do anything to us."
I recall when the growing up penalty was 30 days or see your recruiter before 4:00 pm TODAY. It's unfortunate that some of these do-no-gooders are no longer qualified for military service. (We should have universal service, but that's another thread)
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 06:16 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Saw the video....enticed the duck out of the water and then beat it to death....unbelievably cruel.
That kid needs a shrink.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ITD (09-07-2019), Marauder (09-08-2019), Top-Water (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #17
Hillcountry

In my opinion (and it’s just an opinion) for some years now kids have been killing anything and everything on the violent, video games we all know about.
I believe some kill so much on the games that they stop getting their thrill of the kill in fantasy mode. Years of this being drummed into the brain might cause someone to think about killing a real living warm blooded creature (to include humans) to see if they can renew their thrill to kill and take it to the next “level” so to speak. The violent games, over years and years, cannot be “good” for anyone. Think about teens that have invaded people’s homes in recent years and killed them for no reason...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-08-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Quote:
What's more disturbing. To me, at least one member here seems to enjoy this type of post and relishes every opportunity to jump in and glorify it.
No, that's not true at all, and I strongly object to that comment.

Basically, as a 67-year old lonely loser, I just have too much free time so I like to watch an old movie or a tennis match on one lap top, and read the local newspapers on another lap top, at the same time; the LaDaSun, Conway Daily Sun, Concord Monitor and Union Leader.

Local lakes region news items that catch my attention and are interesting because they are news provocative tend to get my attention ...... and I will post them here ..... but, basically I am just chill'n ..... passing the time of day ..... and ain't got nothing better to do ....... more or less ...... honestly!
Old 09-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
In my opinion (and it’s just an opinion) for some years now kids have been killing anything and everything on the violent, video games we all know about.
I believe some kill so much on the games that they stop getting their thrill of the kill in fantasy mode. Years of this being drummed into the brain might cause someone to think about killing a real living warm blooded creature (to include humans) to see if they can renew their thrill to kill and take it to the next “level” so to speak. The violent games, over years and years, cannot be “good” for anyone. Think about teens that have invaded people’s homes in recent years and killed them for no reason...
I believe, and I'm starting to see research to support, that video games are psychologically designed to increase amygdala activation and that extended use hinders prefrontal cortex development.

This, added to Bandura's studies revealing the resulting aggression from aggressive models (as opposed to the cathartic response previously assumed), suggests that kids being raised in and among more violent forms of media--games, movies, music, social--would have a higher likelihood of initially engaging in and/or being unable to separate from aggressive and emotionally charged situations.

I've not seen the video, but it's a terribly sad story.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #20
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Seems someone else has a sick sense, when they bring AK-47's into a conversation, and should be banned for 3 days. Totally uncalled for. Just trying to stir the Liberal Agenda. Typical for some people.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #21
Orion

Default perspectives?

My overall sense of this whole thread is that most of it is overreaction to a senseless act against nature. Yes, cruel, but there are far worse crimes against nature (humanity) that are legal and taxpayer funded.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #22
ApS

Arrow None More Responsible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
Seems someone else has a sick sense, when they bring AK-47's into a conversation, and should be banned for 3 days. Totally uncalled for. Just trying to stir the Liberal Agenda. Typical for some people.
It's a turn of phrase used by writers, although I've forgotten the term.

Edit:
The term is synecdoche.

As for accuracy, one might ask if member Camp Guy attended a Lake Winnipesaukee camp-for-boys for more years than any of the rest of us here.

Last edited by ApS; 09-08-2019 at 03:44 AM. Reason: synecdoche
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:27 AM   #23
SAB1

Quote:
Couldn’t agree more. Been saying the same thing for years. Spot on Hill!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #24
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Is this not the basis for red flag laws? And we excuse it because they are under 18? Granted the immaturity factor, but when you severely punish such behavior, I believe there is a carry over effect to other youngsters. When I and friends wanted to do stupid things in HS , we were vividly aware of what happened to other kids. There was little awareness of the effects on adult criminals. I don't think that awareness level has changed much. And, there is still the attitude, "It's OK, we're under 18, they can't do anything to us."
I recall when the growing up penalty was 30 days or see your recruiter before 4:00 pm TODAY. It's unfortunate that some of these do-no-gooders are no longer qualified for military service. (We should have universal service, but that's another thread)
EXACTLY. So how do they get on the red flag list? This might take this topic to the side a bit but GREAT QUESTION... Is there a way to find a list they might be on?
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #25
fatlazyless

WMUR has the 1:19 duck beater video ...... plus there's an internet petition with 1200 on board for tougher punishment than a 3 football game ban and community service. Everyone and their bother and sister get's all holier than thou when given the opportunity to express their anger over a savage beat down with a broom handle on a harmless Lake Winnipesaukee Mallard duck ...... ka-boom ..... quack-quack!

This duck beat down story has traveled all the way to an English newspaper, the Guardian of London.

Back in 1968, at my time in high school, the school had a big pile of rocks weighing about 10-25 lbs each, with the pile about the size of a pick-up truck, and for punishment, students could get 90-minute blocks of detention, which meant picking up and moving the rock pile about 75-yards, from one end of a field to the other end .... one rock at a time .... adjacent to a parking lot .... and seen by other students. For this duck beating, an adjudicated punishment could be five blocks of detention, 90-minutes each, held on five consecutive Friday afternoons, scheduled at the same time as the Friday football game.

Everyone knew what the rock pile was there for ...... and students walked past it, all the time, on their way to the gym. Bespoken comments such as 'you do that, you nitwit, and you'll get the rock pile' were not uncommon. ...

Moving heavy rocks was an informative punishment because it gave you a lot of time to think about what you had done, and you never forget that 'moving the rock pile.' Plus, when that yellow school bus passed by you, as you was carrying a heavy rock, you got taunted by the entire bus of fellow students with epithets hollered from the open windows like ....... hey buddy, get to work ...... move that pile ..... you is mov'n too slow, buddy ..... get it moved over there!

So, it was pretty effective punishment.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-10-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #26
Barney Bear

Default Greetings Comrade

Did not realize you came from the USSR.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #27
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Did not realize you came from the USSR.
I think a little “hard labor” would have made our present day “snowflakes” a bit more hardened to the real world rather than seeking a closed room with a binky and a puppy...
ishoot308 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #28
barefootbay

Quote:
I think a little “hard labor” would have made our present day “snowflakes” a bit more hardened to the real world rather than seeking a closed room with a binky and a puppy...
Heartily Agree !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #29
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Your solution would get my vote!
There have to be serious consequences for bad behavior! Otherwise, we get what we deserve.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #30
fatlazyless

Default ..... duck outwits team of tigers

..... duck evades team of tigers ...... www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUSEXbDf9u0 ...... but most unfortunately, this here Conway duck couldn't escape a broom ambush by football team, Eagles?

These tigers could have better results feeding duck a few orange Cheez-its! Duck simply love Cheez-it!

....2:30 video of lone duck evading an 'ambush' of tigers in unknown country!
Old 09-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #31
winni83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
..... duck evades team of tigers ...... www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUSEXbDf9u0 ...... but most unfortunately, this here Conway duck couldn't escape a broom ambush by football team, Eagles?

These tigers could have better results feeding duck a few orange Cheez-its! Duck simply love Cheez-it!

....2:30 video of lone duck evading an 'ambush' of tigers in unknown country!
In the words of Joseph Welch during the McCarthy hearings, “Have you no sense of decency, sir”. It certainly appears that the answer is a resounding NO.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
Merrymeeting (09-25-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #32
fatlazyless

Everyone has all heard the phrase 'like a duck out of water' which can be used to describe someone or something that is out of its' regular element.

In the water, this one duck in the video was able to evade the lions. While the duck in Conway was lured out of its' Winnipesaukee, Melvin Bay, home water and was unable to evade getting smacked by a broom while on land. It was a duck out of water.

It shows how a duck out of water has a safety disadvantage.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #33
Descant

Default Trolls

Quote:
Are you sick enough to think that this a natural situation and the creature had any chance of escape. If you look closely the animal gets caught in the very last few frames of the video.

Really! You want sympathy because your lonely and have too much time on your hands. You should be locked up when you post stuff like this to keep the topic alive.
That's what trolls do. You can skip posts or block them. Responding only feeds the troll.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #34
Hillcountry

Quote:
Everyone has all heard the phrase 'like a duck out of water' which can be used to describe someone or something that is out of its' regular element.

In the water, this one duck in the video was able to evade the lions. While the duck in Conway was lured out of its' Winnipesaukee, Melvin Bay, home water and was unable to evade getting smacked by a broom while on land. It was a duck out of water.

FLL I think you meant the saying “a fish out of water”
Don’t believe I ever heard a “duck” saying other than “water off a duck’s back” or “ if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...etc.”
Old 09-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #35
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Sad comparison

Quote:

“Duck out of water is to safety disadvantage as man without brain is to mental disadvantage.”
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #36
Descant

Default Hooked

Quote:
FLL I think you meant the saying “a fish out of water”
Don’t believe I ever heard a “duck” saying other than “water off a duck’s back” or “ if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...etc.”
We need a new button that says "Hooked by the troll"
Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #37
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We need a new button that says "Hooked by the troll"
Sorry, no one "hooks" me. I post because I want to and am not triggered by anyone. Besides, as much as FLL seems to be hated on here, I find some of his posts comical (which I believe he tries to be) but sometimes goes a bit awry.
Longtimelurker (09-26-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 02:32 AM   #38
fatlazyless

Oh, come on youse guys ..... that's a very interesting duck vs lions video from India or Thailand or somewhere ..... with a Range Rover car adapted with protective bars designed to keep 400-lb lions from smashing through the windows and attacking the humans, inside the car.

Is a big surprise these lions are unable to get that little duck with it disappearing down below, somewhere in the murky water, surviving the lions' repeated lunge.

Is pretty danged interesting how a little duck can survive in the water, avoid getting jumped by agile lions, but a different duck in far away Moultonborough NH gets lured up onto the Camp Winaukee beach. A little duck is an easy smack-down with the swing of a broom, swung by a 15-year old. This is a case of the danger to a duck when a duck goes out of the water!

Who knows .....but, the actual food item used to lure this poor deceased duck has not been reported ...... is an unknown food item ...... maybe the duck got lured out of the water with a chocolate s'more ...... a yummy, hot toasted marshmallows and melted Hershey chocolate, cooked on a camp fire stick, and squished 'tween graham crackers when the quarterback thought it could be some fun to lure the duck with an extended s'more ..... hut-1, hut-2, hut-3!

Well ...... definitely seems highly likely and even understandable how all that chocolate and toasted marshmallow is what made the nefarious duck beater go and beat that poor, little duck. It was that highly energized hot chocolate energy coming from the marshmallow and chocolate, your Honor ........ honest to s'more goodness ....... this is the chocolate/marshmallow s'more legal defense initiative! ...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-27-2019 at 09:18 AM.