Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
JasonG

Default All this talk about improving the Weirs..is there an alternative?

What I am about to say is just my observation as a frequent visitor for the past 4 decades. It is not hard opinion or based on any specific fact. So I am not trying to stir up any fights or emotions.

The question is...why do we have to improve the Weirs?

If an area is falling apart, it will continue to do so until acted upon. If we are talking about decades of neglect, then the truth starts to shine what the owners of the area think. That is not to imply that they do not want to improve. It may not make financial sense, so they are in a bind. Why invest into something that will possibly not pay off when in it's current state it still makes money?

Just because you put a fresh coat of paint on a pizza shop or gift shop, it will not bring in more customers. The entire point of coming to the Weirs may need to change. It needs to be beyond t-shirt shops, video games. Let's face it, video arcades are long gone and are usually only found in high traffic resort areas. As a 40 something with kids that play video games at home, they see little value in going to the weirs to play games. Maybe skeeball. But hey, who doesn't like Skeeball?

I have seen a lot of ideas tossed around. So the next question is... is the an alternative location for all of these ideas? All this talk about what could be done with the weirs property could be applied to another location. Build another destination spot on the lake and make sure it can cater to year round. Sure, easier said than done and I know there is no current space available on the lake. But anything is possible with the right idea and funding.

In the end I certainly hope something develops. I see what has happened to Meredith over the past few decades and love it. And I cannot wait to get fried dough from the weirs this summer with the family. The current state does not stop us from visiting, but that is more about nostalgia then about something fresh. In the end, our visits to the weirs get shorter and shorter.

Sadly if nothing get's done it will just deteriorate until it is no longer safe and things start to get condemned and decisions will be forced upon the owners and town. As an observer, this appears to already be happening?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
What I am about to say is just my observation as a frequent visitor for the past 4 decades. It is not hard opinion or based on any specific fact. So I am not trying to stir up any fights or emotions.

The question is...why do we have to improve the Weirs?

If an area is falling apart, it will continue to do so until acted upon. If we are talking about decades of neglect, then the truth starts to shine what the owners of the area think. That is not to imply that they do not want to improve. It may not make financial sense, so they are in a bind. Why invest into something that will possibly not pay off when in it's current state it still makes money?

Just because you put a fresh coat of paint on a pizza shop or gift shop, it will not bring in more customers. The entire point of coming to the Weirs may need to change. It needs to be beyond t-shirt shops, video games. Let's face it, video arcades are long gone and are usually only found in high traffic resort areas. As a 40 something with kids that play video games at home, they see little value in going to the weirs to play games. Maybe skeeball. But hey, who doesn't like Skeeball?

I have seen a lot of ideas tossed around. So the next question is... is the an alternative location for all of these ideas? All this talk about what could be done with the weirs property could be applied to another location. Build another destination spot on the lake and make sure it can cater to year round. Sure, easier said than done and I know there is no current space available on the lake. But anything is possible with the right idea and funding.

In the end I certainly hope something develops. I see what has happened to Meredith over the past few decades and love it. And I cannot wait to get fried dough from the weirs this summer with the family. The current state does not stop us from visiting, but that is more about nostalgia then about something fresh. In the end, our visits to the weirs get shorter and shorter.

Sadly if nothing get's done it will just deteriorate until it is no longer safe and things start to get condemned and decisions will be forced upon the owners and town. As an observer, this appears to already be happening?
There are only so many town owned docks on the Lake- the Weirs is one of them. I enjoy the honky-tonk of the Weirs at times as well, but there is little or no money to be made, so there is a profound lack of investment. That is my take from across the Pond!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
jbolty

All true. Normally a tee shirt shop is a side line to the actual reason for being someplace. Back in the days of yore no one had video games at home so going to an arcade was a thing to do. I remember countless times when I was a teen of getting out of work at night and heading to the Weirs for a slice of pizza and a few games with friends. It was the place to be.

I suppose there is still some need for that on rainy days but the area is clearly under used most of the time. If a tourist goes there now and gets a bumper sticker and a piece of fudge they have just about done all there is to do there except for getting on the various boat cruises.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
DUSTOFF

Quote:
Just because you put a fresh coat of paint on a pizza shop or gift shop, it will not bring in more customers.
I also am not here to argue, but I just wanted to point out that in my experience, this is not true. After a remodel or rebuild you should certainly see an increase in traffic flow.
We all know you can't always judge a book by it's cover, but a customer driving by will naturally assume that if a business takes good care of the exterior, they will maintain that cleanliness throughout the interior, the kitchen, etc.
DUSTOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
hd333

Default All this talk about improving the Weirs..is there an alternative?

Good old Weirds Beach.

Is Weirs really a destination spot, or is it more of a place to go when it rains and kill a few hours?
Once I am at the lake I have no desire to leave the house. I don't see Weirs being a real draw for lake regulars.
Now if they put some money into the beach area like they did at Hampton beach, maybe it would become a destination spot for day trippers, who would in turn spend $ at Weirs. With that money being spent in the local places I could then see some owners realizing that if they spruce things up maybe they will attract more customers. This is what it would take to make the Weirs more like Meredith in my opinion. Bring in an upscale restaurant and maybe more lake regulars will actually venture over for dinner and in turn spend a few more bucks while there, good food in a nice setting will bring people.
At a minimum Weirs needs a legit fried dough place like Blinks.

All this said I am sure the kids will drag us there at least once this summer, I agree with the OP, the current state of Weirs doesn't stop us from going but it sure doesn't attract repeat business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
sum-r breeze

Default Maybe it's already started....

After our first trip (we waited WAY too long) to dine at Faro Italian Grill, we swore we wouldn't wait as long again. I think Faro is the first "shot across the bow" for the Weirs and hope the other neighboring businesses take a lesson. Faro is great and a huge boost to the Weirs.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'l be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Ms Molly McKever

Default The weirs

What didn't help is the lost of cottage coloney rentals. Over the last 10-15 years most of them went condo.
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Molly McKever For This Useful Post:
michael (04-11-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
jetlag100

I always felt that is was a shame that Fun Spot never put an Annex down the Weirs.....a new, clean, place to go, with all sorts of things to do or, they should have a shuttle to their facility, now...boat ride to Weirs, park and shuttle up the hill. Just a thought....
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetlag100 For This Useful Post:
jbolty (03-30-2016), Leoskeys (03-31-2016), Winnigirl (03-31-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
Outdoorsman

Default secede

"The Weirs" should secede from Laconia and provide/pay for its own Municipalities to become its own town. Until that happens we are stuck with the same-ole-same-ole.

Laconia has too many downfalls that the city is accepting as 'the new normal".

The growth in the Gilford area will still benefit both and the growth in Meredith will also benefit the Weirs.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
rick35

I'm sure someone here knows the facts but I'm guessing enough money is made during bike week that makes the rest of the season insignificant and not worth the trouble to want to do anything else.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
I'm sure someone here knows the facts but I'm guessing enough money is made during bike week that makes the rest of the season insignificant and not worth the trouble to want to do anything else.
That is exactly the problem.....
Old 03-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
Ah, but bike week isn't what it once was, either.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #13
Woodsy

Bike Week is NOT the problem.... Its really what keeps the Weirs going!

The problem is a changing demographic... and the commercial property / business owners and the city of Laconia refusing to change or do anything about it.

My vision for the Weirs would be a walkable version of a small cluster of fun funky bars/cafes/shops similar to Key West.

The Faro property could be the far corner anchor destination. They already have that Awesome upper deck. Or maybe even the Naswa...

The Paradise Club and Weirs the Beef / Hideout can anchor the other corner. The Paradise has a great outside tiki bar that could be capitalized on.

We have the Gringo, and that place does a good business year round. Tower Hill tavern could be an AWESOME music venue, but the people who own the half moon cottages want quiet at 10... hard to make a go of it with that silly restriction.

The problem is the middle of the strip... that's where the vision is required. The arcades & the Pier need to be remade into a fun place people want to go. A funky café or bar... funky shops?

its obvious the status quo is not working....

Woodsy
AC2717 (03-31-2016), CateP (04-01-2016), greeleyhill (04-01-2016), Lmurphy (04-12-2016), Reilly (04-01-2016), sum-r breeze (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #14
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTOFF View Post
I also am not here to argue, but I just wanted to point out that in my experience, this is not true. After a remodel or rebuild you should certainly see an increase in traffic flow.
We all know you can't always judge a book by it's cover, but a customer driving by will naturally assume that if a business takes good care of the exterior, they will maintain that cleanliness throughout the interior, the kitchen, etc.
Well I didnt say remodel.
Even then, if the products in the gift shop are the same, there is no real draw over and above.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:22 AM   #15
AC2717

Quote:
Well I didnt say remodel.
Even then, if the products in the gift shop are the same, there is no real draw over and above.
correct why buy a tee shirt or sun glasses at $15 or $20 when all of us owners and year round residents can buy them for a $1 at the end of the season
Old 03-31-2016, 11:50 AM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Bike Week is NOT the problem.... Its really what keeps the Weirs going!
I disagree, I think Bike Week is like welfare or life support for the area. It encourages dependance on something that isn't really scalable or practical. As long as bike week continues to dominate the area we will have property owners with little motivation to create viable year-round businesses that keep the area attractive in general.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
Woodsy

Brk...

How do you figure? If it wasn't for the Bike Week $$$ the Weirs wouldn't exist. Its a very short season to make a years worth of $$$. The Weirs will never be a "year round" type destination... Nowhere on the lake is "year round" with exception of Gunstock. Meredith (the standard for most people) hosts 2 events in the winter, Pond Hockey & the Ice fishing derby. Both are extremely weather dependent, and both had low numbers this year because of it.

The demographics have changed. We have an older, less kid driven demographic. Stop trying to attract a crowd that isn't interested anymore, and try to attract a crowd that is!

There needs to be a change in attitude from the City of Laconia... stop treating the Weirs like a redheaded stepkid! Make the Weirs a jewel! Pave Lakeside Avenue... get rid of the parking meters. Encourage small business, Look into running a shuttle that goes in a loop from Funspot/Looney Bin/Spoke back to the Weirs train station. Embrace Bike Week! Loosen up the rules a little!

Property & business owners need to refresh their attitudes... and their properties!

Woodsy
greeleyhill (04-01-2016), JasonG (03-31-2016), Lmurphy (03-31-2016), Reilly (04-01-2016), tabascocat98 (04-02-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #18
AC2717

Quote:
Brk...

How do you figure? If it wasn't for the Bike Week $$$ the Weirs wouldn't exist. Its a very short season to make a years worth of $$$. The Weirs will never be a "year round" type destination... Nowhere on the lake is "year round" with exception of Gunstock. Meredith (the standard for most people) hosts 2 events in the winter, Pond Hockey & the Ice fishing derby. Both are extremely weather dependent, and both had low numbers this year because of it.

The demographics have changed. We have an older, less kid driven demographic. Stop trying to attract a crowd that isn't interested anymore, and try to attract a crowd that is!

There needs to be a change in attitude from the City of Laconia... stop treating the Weirs like a redheaded stepkid! Make the Weirs a jewel! Pave Lakeside Avenue... get rid of the parking meters. Encourage small business, Look into running a shuttle that goes in a loop from Funspot/Looney Bin/Spoke back to the Weirs train station. Embrace Bike Week! Loosen up the rules a little!

Property & business owners need to refresh their attitudes... and their properties!

Woodsy
Not auguring, and agree with your point, but from the other side of the coin I think you also answered your own question to BRK - Weirs wouldn't exist in its current state if bike week was no longer there. I love to have bike week, but at the same time it does perpetuate the ease of the property owners and business owners in the Weirs to "cash in" so to speak and not do anything else the rest of the year because their nut is covered at the every least.

No bike week means the business owners and property owners need to find other ways of income (supply and demand economics) or fail.
that could lead for sure to vacant lots and building but for how long in this market? Not very from my view, at such highly desirable location for business and development. The taxes alone on the property with no income from bike week vendors is enough to either have those property owners leave, or sell to those that want to develop and then the town can do their part with a development plan and incentives for existing owners and new alike.

At the same time they can keep bike week and also require property owners through ordinances and zoning to conduct business throughout the year other than renting out vendor space for a week and a half. I'm not one for government regulation but when it comes to the survival of a community and its residents and form of #1 income which is tourism, the town should step in.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #19
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Brk...

Woodsy

You want to attract a crowd that has limited or no expendable income? The retired community? Either you attract a younger generation or start putting in bids for demo now. Attracting a generation that is slowly wading out is like a business getting into an industry as its dying.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #20
Woodsy

I never mentioned the "retired community"....

I was thinking more along the lines of adult oriented type stuff... cool cafes, small bars/restaurants/neat shops. Things that attract the mid 20's to mid 50's with $$$ and time to burn.

Not run down arcades with games that a run of the mill PS3 can play.

Woodsy
Old 03-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #21
Woodsy

AC...

Without the "guaranteed" (tongue in cheek) Bike Week money... what makes the property desirable? You have a short season, a city that doesn't give a crap, and now no bike week income? Why would you want to open a business there?

What you will see is property values plummet, not just the commercial property but residential too. Businesses dry up and do not come back and the city loses tons of tax money that it uses to spend on downtown!

The Weirs needs more "big events"... not just Bike week. The city needs to step up and come up with a master plan for the Weirs.

Woodsy
Old 03-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
AC2717

Quote:
AC...

Without the "guaranteed" (tongue in cheek) Bike Week money... what makes the property desirable? You have a short season, a city that doesn't give a crap, and now no bike week income? Why would you want to open a business there?

What you will see is property values plummet, not just the commercial property but residential too. Businesses dry up and do not come back and the city loses tons of tax money that it uses to spend on downtown!

The Weirs needs more "big events"... not just Bike week. The city needs to step up and come up with a master plan for the Weirs.

Woodsy
respectively disagree
the views alone even with winter season, make it a desirable spot (much better than Meredith Bay)
hate to use it because it is beating a dead horse, but look at Meredith, most everything down there operates year round

some investor has to be the first and be able to hold out for things to change (an prime example is Faro they are already doing this), with the change winter or other year round activities start in the are, a winter fest, spring fest, October fest where they shut the street down and hold a week long festival, maybe hockey alternates between there and Meredith. There is no incentive right now for activities to happen there during the fall and winter. with Development becomes opportunity
Old 03-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #23
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

I keep reading these posts and thinking what would attract me from the opposite side of the lake, and I think the person who mentioned Key West is onto something.

If the docks were less punishing and there were small artist shops, stores, and eateries I'd head there in addition to Wolfeboro. When I start envisioning that, though, I'm reminded of the relatively small (flat) space of the Weirs vs. the blocks and blocks of Wolfeboro and even Meredith.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #24
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I keep reading these posts and thinking what would attract me from the opposite side of the lake, and I think the person who mentioned Key West is onto something.

If the docks were less punishing and there were small artist shops, stores, and eateries I'd head there in addition to Wolfeboro. When I start envisioning that, though, I'm reminded of the relatively small (flat) space of the Weirs vs. the blocks and blocks of Wolfeboro and even Meredith.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Meredith is not any bigger than Weirs area is or could be. And the Weirs even has the Beach and the peir. and the train station, so much more potential
Old 03-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #25
Winnisquamer

Quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of adult oriented type stuff... cool cafes, small bars/restaurants/neat shops. Things that attract the mid 20's to mid 50's with $$$ and time to burn.

Woodsy
With that I will agree, the way I read your post I looked at it as there is a younger generation a middle-aged generation and an older generation. the old generation is the people that are either getting done working or already retired. It has been said that the current weirs is targeted towards the demographics of the people that grew up in the 50s
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #26
Taz

Default Bike week/weirs

Woodsy,

I think BRK-INT and others make valid points. Your right, probably, without bike week Weirs would probable fail totally. Then present owners would either be forced to redevelope the area in attempt to attract possibly another demographic of vacationers/visitors or present owners would sell out to a developer and the whole area could be redeveloped and there would be new businesses, new visitors and maybe would attract at least more business over a longer period of time, say from May to end of foliage season at least if not year round. That's how capitalism works.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #27
brk-lnt

Quote:

There needs to be a change in attitude from the City of Laconia... stop treating the Weirs like a redheaded stepkid! Make the Weirs a jewel!
Your logic breaks down, IMO. Why invest in making the Weirs into a "jewel" when it can apparently be profitable in the current condition with only 1 week per year of activity?

Let's face it, though the Bike Week crowd contains several walks of life, it does not appear to draw people that are overly concerned with the area being in "jewel" condition. Why would the city invest in unnecessary improvements?

The problem with The Weirs is that the current state of it is really only highly functional or prized for 1 week of the year. The rest of the time it's underutilized and a bit of an eyesore in spots. The Weirs, in it's current state, is basically the City of Laconia leaving their Christmas lights up year round. In the non-Bike Week weeks, it's an eyesore and it's not delivering the value to the surrounding community that it can or should.

Also, by relying on Bike Week so much there is a ripple effect in the community. While some of the business owners make rake in cash, many of the employees they hire only get an average weeks' pay, they don't get anything near a years salary.

By smoothing out the utilization of The Weirs to something approaching a year-round spot it would really help the overall community in multiple ways.

Bike Week doesn't have to go away, but it needs to be utilized as a bonus more than a crutch.
jbolty (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #28
Taz

Default Weirs

Those plummeting values and businesses drying up that Woodsy refers to is ripe for a developer with money and vision to buy up properties and start over.

Isn't that how it works? Bradlees, Caldor, Lechmere etc get pushed out by Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc.

The businesses in Weirs fail, something else will come along and be better, eventually. It could take a long time but it would happen eventually.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #29
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Those plummeting values and businesses drying up that Woodsy refers to is ripe for a developer with money and vision to buy up properties and start over.
It depends. Bike Week could just as easily keep a lot of mainstream investors away. If you look at how the city of Laconia has managed its assets it's not the sort of thing that big developers want to deal with.

Laconia has to appear developer-friendly in order to attract developers. If the city allows lots to sit vacant and fenced for 51 weeks a year people may not want to build other properties around those kind of sites.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #30
Acrossamerica

Quote:

Woodsy
Other than parts of Portsmouth, can you name a single town in NH that has "Cool" shops small bars and cafes on a year round basis. What is needed and the weather is very much against it is a place that has a pulse more than 8 weeks a year. Very very few places in the entire state can claim that including North Conway. If the state does not figure out how to attract a sufficient number of businesses to the state that pay above the $10 tourist wage, the state will continue to bleed 20-50 year olds in search of an income and a life that does not include a 12 pack most every night .
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #31
Mr. V

The Weirs would be a good location for a casino.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #32
Leoskeys

What about moving Pumpkinfest to Weirs? Granted that'll hurt downtown Laconia. And that's only another week a year of activity, so it won't solve the problem.
Seems like Weirs is something that Alex Ray and Dean Kamen should work together on! They can figure it out, and have the bankroll.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #33
Acrossamerica

To continue on the Key West wish - The average resident income for Key West is $75,401 with 15.8% below $25,000 a year
Florida - $71,904

Laconia - $67,378 with 22.7% below $25,000

New Hampshire - $64,712

So we are short on disposable income for the cute shops and cafes that during the 40 weeks a year the "lake House" folks are not here depend on the locals. Need I delve into education levels and general life styles between Key West and Laconia and the surrounding areas?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #34
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
What about moving Pumpkinfest to Weirs? Granted that'll hurt downtown Laconia. And that's only another week a year of activity, so it won't solve the problem.
Seems like Weirs is something that Alex Ray and Dean Kamen should work together on! They can figure it out, and have the bankroll.
I'm thinking that Alex and Dean are busy with plans for a second set of highway rest stops on I-95. Why try to restore the Weirs which in terms of major profits will always be marginal, when one can basically print money with another mega rest stop complex like they have on I-93. I think that ship has sailed.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:59 PM   #35
kawishiwi

Talking Trump to the rescue....

Matbe the Donald can be talked into wielding his eminent domain tool to put up a hotel casino? Ok, so thats unlikely, but it seems that there are only 2 alternatives for improvement. 1 - play off of the seasonal draw in a way that has greater value than fried dough, as in vacation condos, that may be lightly occupied off season but at least there is long term value and upkeep. 2 - build something that has year round draw. I'd guess a casino would be flash in the pan but there could be something else that would get folks to drive at least an hour or two on a regular basis. Any ideas? A third option might be to go after the Meredith crowd in the same way. That could become cannibalistic though and leave both areas under stress.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:28 PM   #36
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Something new

Folks talk about Meredith and Wolfeboro. Ever notice how many shops in the two places are the same? No reason to duplicate one of those. Want something unique? They have unique shops in P-Town, and it draws from more than an hour away. Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard have some similar travel draws, but they have unique personalities too. All of those were an evolutionary series of events.

Unless you are Walt Disney, I think it is very difficult to build something in one big splash and be sure that it will be successful. It helped that Walt had a Sunday night TV show to advertise Disneyland for a full hour every week. I think Disneyland is only about 50 acres.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:11 AM   #37
GodSmile

Default Endlessly fascinating conversation

No idea what the answer is, but the location certainly will warrant a change at some point... it has too much going for it to stay the way it is. and don't forget the drive in parcel is for sale. I know it's literally in left field, but it's potential is there as well.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:36 AM   #38
Pricestavern

Default Look at Newport

Newport, RI is "mostly" a summer destination but it does draw people year round. There are the funky bars and shops people have advocated here that get people to stay for the week. They generate off season interest with a variety of festivals and events such as their Chili Cookoff, the Winter festival, the Chowder Festival to name a few. To accomodate the tourists there are numerous B&Bs, time shares, etc. There are water taxis that bring people in from Providence and Jamestown.
Other ideas:
There's not a single place in the area that rents snowmobiles. That would be s draw. Airboat rides? What about a small arena like Forest Hills in Queens, NY? That stadium actually has a very small footprint and could be used to host tennis, music, and theatre in the spring and fall. Add a craft brewery (or two); you could start craft brew tours with the surrounding towns. Host sailing races, snowmobile races, kayak races, a 10k. How about sculling races on Paugus Bay in the fall? How about a tethered hot air baloon (there's one in Bournemouth, England that's a big draw)?
It's such a beautiful area; it needs to recognize and embrace its gifts. We come up most Februaries to snow shoe out to Rattlesnake and lament the lack of other activites available to the visitor in winter.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #39
jeffk

Default Small change would be useless

IMO, the Weirs stays as it is mostly because no one wants to change it, or is afraid to change it. I have been staying up here for 23 years either summer or full time. I have been to the Weirs maybe once every 3 years, several times for a Mount Washington cruise. When I get there I walk the town. I see nothing that interests me. If it is time to eat, I might grab something. However, there are no restaurants there I would be drawn to go back to. Most of the time I just walk and I am amazed how little things have changed since I vacationed there in the 60s as a kid. There were lots of families staying in the cottages nearby and the kids hung out in the arcades and on the beach.

When I go to Meredith or Wolfeboro I go in many of the shops. I buy stuff. I like several of the restaurants and am drawn back to them just to have a meal. There are grocery stores, bookstores, hardware stores, good ice cream shops, and other interesting venues in these towns. I look forward to going to them and do.

There is NO draw for people like me in the Wiers. The docking is a bit awkward to get into. The attractions that are there are small scale and while they may generate an OK income for the current owners, are never going to generate money to drive change. Someone would have to come in with BIG money and, for better or worse, sweep away the current old time arcades. It would require a fundamental transformation in how the Weirs is perceived and presented. It would probably also require a private/public partnership like is going on at the Balsams to get permits and allow major construction. Some of the cottages would probably get bought up and demolished.

It would take a complete re-envisioning of the town and the will and money to drive it.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #40
Woodsy

For the record I am a year round resident of the Weirs... and truly love it!

The Weirs and most of the lake for that matter are and always will be seasonal. There is no getting around it.

Meredith has had success because 1 company, NH Hospitality, essentially owns the bottom of the bay and most of the property across Rte 3. Meridith is all commercial property at the bottom of the bay. It is also very adult oriented. Yes, there are a few things for kids to do, but not much. Wolfeboro has a similar type draw. The Weirs is a mix of commercial and residential properties, and that does present challenges.

The Weirs has ALWAYS been kid oriented... the Beach, the Drive In, Waterslides, Arcades, Mini Golf, Pizza & Ice cream places, etc etc... all driven by families with kids who were on vacation. So every week there was a new batch of customers looking to spend money.

Unfortunately, the demographic has changed... all the little motels are condos, and families just aren't very interested in what the Weirs has to offer anymore.

So you have 2 options... adapt or die. Unfortunately the Weirs has been slowly dying. If it wasn't for Bike Week, the place would be boarded up. The property & business owners don't want to change and adapt, and the City of Laconia doesn't want to spend any $$ on upkeep. Lakeside Ave is disgrace.

The Weirs has tremendous potential.... But the City and the property & business owners need to get together and form a plan. Loosen up the rules a little, embrace Bike Week and help it grow (although that demographic is getting older and dwindling regardless), Spruce up & repave Lakeside Ave. Get rid of the parking meters! The property owners need to actually spend some $$ improving their properties. Lets have a mix of some cool eats, some live music, funky shops. Its a small area so this should be very doable.

Woodsy
greeleyhill (04-01-2016), thinkxingu (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #41
dippasan

Default My 2 cents about the Weirs

Great thread
Disclaimer...I mean no disrespect to those that love the Weirs but.......

IMHO i think the Weirs strip is a dump compared to many of the other destinations on the lake or on other lakes for that matter. Lake George for example. Even when our kids were young we didn't go out of our way to visit the Weirs and if we did it was for a couple of hours for a fried dough. The Pier, the mini golf, the trash, the arcades are all eye sores. When we go boating with our guests we simply point to the Weirs and say "That's where they have bike week" and then we drive right by.

I know it comes down to money but you must first put the wood in the fire before you can expect to get heat. Put the money into it and they'll come.

That said it has the potential to be a premier vacation destination in the heart of the Lakes Region. It's a diamond in the rough and we'd gladly visit if it had something worth visiting regularly. It is prime real estate on our beautiful lake. Look at Meredith and Wolfeboro. What better place to have a great destination for lunch, dinner, outdoor concerts, shopping, night life etc.

It has the bones to be a great destination but it doesn't have the skin.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #42
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
Great thread
Disclaimer...I mean no disrespect to those that love the Weirs but.......

IMHO i think the Weirs strip is a dump compared to many of the other destinations on the lake or on other lakes for that matter. Lake George for example. Even when our kids were young we didn't go out of our way to visit the Weirs and if we did it was for a couple of hours for a fried dough. The Pier, the mini golf, the trash, the arcades are all eye sores. When we go boating with our guests we simply point to the Weirs and say "That's where they have bike week" and then we drive right by.

I know it comes down to money but you must first put the wood in the fire before you can expect to get heat. Put the money into it and they'll come.

That said it has the potential to be a premier vacation destination in the heart of the Lakes Region. It's a diamond in the rough and we'd gladly visit if it had something worth visiting regularly. It is prime real estate on our beautiful lake. Look at Meredith and Wolfeboro. What better place to have a great destination for lunch, dinner, outdoor concerts, shopping, night life etc.

It has the bones to be a great destination but it doesn't have the skin.
Kind of an aside, but I keep thinking that Moultonborough should move our "downtown" to the Center Harbor town line and combine forces with them. Again, it would take some doing and money (that Moultonborough has!)... just rambling, but you are correct Dippassan, destinations are few on Winni, port -wise.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
dippasan (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #43
Billy Bob

Default Center harbor

That's right on as a replacement . Laconia with its taxes and problems is dead to me . The veterans property seems to be the last obstacle that won't improve
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:38 AM   #44
Orion

Default Center Harbor

Seems to me that the Veteran's property is pretty well utilized during the season and has not that big a "footprint" on the main road, really.

As far as Center Harbor is concerned, I agree it would be nice to have that made into a nicer lake destination, but there are too many problems with that scenario, starting with the lack of adequate public dock space. And, there is little room to expand what they have, sandwiched between the marina that services the Mount and the public beach. [And why did the beach swim line have to steal one of the dock spaces rather than move it back 10' on that side?] There is also no public parking area to speak of (aside from the shopping center), and the whole area is otherwise private waterfront properties. Meredith was truly a unique "opportunity".
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #45
fatlazyless

Default ....... Trump Winnipesaukee at the Weirs!

In my dreams.......would love to see Donald Trump come back to the Weirs, sometime very very soon after November, and evict all those uniquely interesting NH Veteran's Assoc seasonal "homes?" and run the table through the legal process of eminent domain, and a construct a Trump Winnipesaukee Mega Mondo Casino in what could be a very nice commercial location.....overlooking the lake....... in my dreams!

.....say hey ....., it will give him a new challenge, and something fun and maybe profitable to do.....plus create jobs, and pay property tax.

And further more.....let's not forget about the 17 different storage buildings in a storage business that was proposed for the large empty lot just below the Cumberland Farm. Not having a storage business in that spot is a good move ..... so's it looks like that spot is destined to remain as it currently is forever, ever, ever.......until the next ice age comes through.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #46
sum-r breeze

Default I second the live music idea

Quote:
For the record I am a year round resident of the Weirs... and truly love it!

The Weirs and most of the lake for that matter are and always will be seasonal. There is no getting around it.

Meredith has had success because 1 company, NH Hospitality, essentially owns the bottom of the bay and most of the property across Rte 3. Meridith is all commercial property at the bottom of the bay. It is also very adult oriented. Yes, there are a few things for kids to do, but not much. Wolfeboro has a similar type draw. The Weirs is a mix of commercial and residential properties, and that does present challenges.

The Weirs has ALWAYS been kid oriented... the Beach, the Drive In, Waterslides, Arcades, Mini Golf, Pizza & Ice cream places, etc etc... all driven by families with kids who were on vacation. So every week there was a new batch of customers looking to spend money.

Unfortunately, the demographic has changed... all the little motels are condos, and families just aren't very interested in what the Weirs has to offer anymore.

So you have 2 options... adapt or die. Unfortunately the Weirs has been slowly dying. If it wasn't for Bike Week, the place would be boarded up. The property & business owners don't want to change and adapt, and the City of Laconia doesn't want to spend any $$ on upkeep. Lakeside Ave is disgrace.

The Weirs has tremendous potential.... But the City and the property & business owners need to get together and form a plan. Loosen up the rules a little, embrace Bike Week and help it grow (although that demographic is getting older and dwindling regardless), Spruce up & repave Lakeside Ave. Get rid of the parking meters! The property owners need to actually spend some $$ improving their properties. Lets have a mix of some cool eats, some live music, funky shops. Its a small area so this should be very doable.

Woodsy
It seems like the live music activity tends to bring people out. The night life in the lakes region is kind of non existent. I remember when the Lobster Pound at the time had a live band playing on top of a very large flatbed trailer in their parking lot. The place was jammed with people dancing and really enjoying the music. Live entertainment is the way to go and relax the curfew time to midnight or so. Just my 2 cents

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #47
JasonG

Why doesn't someone ask the people that developed Meredith to redo the Weirs? Or would they be creating their own competition?
Old 04-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #48
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Why doesn't someone ask the people that developed Meredith to redo the Weirs? Or would they be creating their own competition?
1. Meredith actually had most of the infrastructure already in place and the original investor just rehabbed the buildings. The partner came along when food was required in two of the four hotels.
2. They are making a much bigger return building Interstate rest stops for the State of NH than they would ever make with the Weirs.
3. Until the current owners drop the rental mantra of "earn a year's rent with Bike week" as their attitude, nothing will change.
4. Who will get the city to condemn and demolish all of the current residential properties because they are the ones who don't want more commercial noise and traffic.
5. Other than those fortunate to be able to buy, inherit a lake front property or rent one at thousands per week, the vast majority of vacationers do not wish to come to NH any longer. It is so yesterday in so many ways and those who love yesterday are in their 70's plus.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #49
Fargo

Default Vision

How can Laconia have a vision for the Weirs when downtown struggles? They overpaid for the Colonial Theater and spending 15mil to restore it. The theater will never support itself in that location. Should have torn that and the parking garage down, open up a park and access from Main St to the Belknap Mill. Spend the rest of the money improving Weirs and still not spend 15 mil. Entire downtown Laconia isn't worth $15 million!
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fargo For This Useful Post:
Reilly (04-03-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #50
wtibert

Default Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
1. Meredith actually had most of the infrastructure already in place and the original investor just rehabbed the buildings. The partner came along when food was required in two of the four hotels.
2. They are making a much bigger return building Interstate rest stops for the State of NH than they would ever make with the Weirs.
3. Until the current owners drop the rental mantra of "earn a year's rent with Bike week" as their attitude, nothing will change.
4. Who will get the city to condemn and demolish all of the current residential properties because they are the ones who don't want more commercial noise and traffic.
5. Other than those fortunate to be able to buy, inherit a lake front property or rent one at thousands per week, the vast majority of vacationers do not wish to come to NH any longer. It is so yesterday in so many ways and those who love yesterday are in their 70's plus.
From a someone from Mass in their 40s who spends a lot of his summer at the lake I "get" the Weirs. I also realize year round residents have a different perspective.

For what it is, it's unique on the lake. It's a place that the week long renters can go for a day when it's raining or to spend time with their kids to have that "I came here when I was your age" moment, and have it be close to what it was, albeit now without the water slides.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the largest beach on the lake with public access. If there are changes, the beach has to be the center. You need fast food, ice cream, and fried dough within walking distance.

The Weirs in the 70s and early 80s was a big part of my childhood summer memories. Part of me loves that it's basically the same, the other part is sad that it hasn't really changed.

Until I go into Half Moon to the shooting range and make the piano player start playing, then I forget what it looks like on the outside...
wtibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #51
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Heh well let me stir the pot and make it boil over....

I guess I'm old school, I don't care about restaurants, entertainment, live or otherwise, shops, or really what is ever going on "in town" when I'm at the lake. All I care about is if the fishing is good and having a nice warm campfire every night.

The weirs as far as I'm concerned could be burned down or bulldozed to oblivion and I wouldn't really care either way. It would definitely look nicer after a good bull dozing.

Far as bike week goes, I wouldn't miss it if it never happened again.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #52
camp guy

Default All this talk about improving the Weirs...

So, MAXUM, in words of small syllables, "What do you really think of the Weirs?"
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #53
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
So, MAXUM, in words of small syllables, "What do you really think of the Weirs?"
I'll sum it up to "not much"
Old 04-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #54
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Heh well let me stir the pot and make it boil over....

I guess I'm old school, I don't care about restaurants, entertainment, live or otherwise, shops, or really what is ever going on "in town" when I'm at the lake. All I care about is if the fishing is good and having a nice warm campfire every night.

The weirs as far as I'm concerned could be burned down or bulldozed to oblivion and I wouldn't really care either way. It would definitely look nicer after a good bull dozing.

Far as bike week goes, I wouldn't miss it if it never happened again.
Well well well, another of the "I've made it so pull up the draw bridge and the rest of the peasants be damned" crowd. Perhaps you would be more comfortable over on Squam Lake in Sandwich where anything commercial is treated like a case of Ebola.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
Reilly (04-07-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #55
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
"The Weirs" should secede from Laconia and provide/pay for its own Municipalities to become its own town. Until that happens we are stuck with the same-ole-same-ole.

Laconia has too many downfalls that the city is accepting as 'the new normal".

The growth in the Gilford area will still benefit both and the growth in Meredith will also benefit the Weirs.
The Weirs tried to secede from Laconia in the 90s. The Lawton family really pushed hard for it. At the time the father & son were in the State legislature. They could not pull it off. IMHO I think it would have worked, or at leat it would be better than the wasteland it has become.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #56
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
Well well well, another of the "I've made it so pull up the draw bridge and the rest of the peasants be damned" crowd. Perhaps you would be more comfortable over on Squam Lake in Sandwich where anything commercial is treated like a case of Ebola.
Far from it, I'd be more than happy to see Weirs Beach turned into a parking lot and a nice FREE public boat ramp put in it's place.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #57
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Far from it, I'd be more than happy to see Weirs Beach turned into a parking lot and a nice FREE public boat ramp put in it's place.
I rest my case!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #58
Descant

Default Trump Winnipesaukee

FLL, I doubt Donald Trump will build the hotel/casino you dream of. He's currently interviewing for another job, and I think he'll get it.

Part of the problem with this discussion is that too may people think the Weirs runs from the Vet's homes to the Superette. Docking and good food are also available at the Naswa and Akwa Marine. Faro is good, although we all think the public docks need help, and it isn't as close to the docks as the other two. Maybe we need that funiculare described a while back and then some bicycle rickshaws like they have in Atlantic City. For those who don't know, a lot of the development ideas for the Weirs came from Atlantic City in the 30's, beach (man made), boardwalk, Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens, contests like Miss Winnipesaukee.

Live music? There used to be a bandstand on top of the train station with a program every night, mostly sponsored by the Weirs Chamber of Commerce, which also sponsored the Sunday night fireworks. Oh, and two dance halls.

So, a lot of this has been done and fizzled out, partially because of the transition from motels to condos.

What gets people out of their condo? A lot of people head to Meadowbrook for concerts, big names, like the big names that used to be at the Gardens.

And, for those who bemoan the present Weirs, it seems to be busy when I go. Or, as Yogi put it, "It's so popular, nobody goes there anymore."
Old 04-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #59
Irish Choppers

Default Come on Laconia... You can do it!

I’m convinced if the Weirs had trendy shops, restaurants, music, a bistro, and modeled themselves after Wolfeboro and Meredith they’d have just as much if not more success. In the four years that we’ve been fortunate to be coming to Meredith and besides bike week, we’ve never gone to the Weirs except to pass through, and stopped once, to buy tickers for a cruise on the Mount. We’ve gone to Wolfeboro many times by car and boat to enjoy all that the downtown has to offer. I’m sorry, but the Weirs has a “dirty” feel to it and we have no desire to visit. Kudos to the owners of Faro for investing in Laconia and their excellent restaurant. Likewise to the good people at AKWA Marina whose marina and beach bar are exceptional. The Weirs is a diamond in the rough and if the right people were to get behind a real transformation it would bring tremendous value to the area, lots of money, and a significant bump in property value throughout the area. Come on Laconia.. You can do it!
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irish Choppers For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-04-2016), sum-r breeze (04-07-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #60
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Choppers View Post
The Weirs is a diamond in the rough....!

This was said 2 decades ago and will be repeated 2 decades from now.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #61
kauriel

I like that the Weirs is different from Meredith and Wolfeboro and like that there are lots of family friendly activities as well as some great bars and restaurants (we love the Crazy Gringo!). I think it would be more successful with at least one year-round family oriented business such as a hotel with an indoor waterpark or other indoor activities like luxury bowling, laser tag, etc. I'd also love to see a shuttle run from some of the hotels and condos to destinations such as Weirs Beach, Fun spot, downtown Meredith, downtown Laconia, Gilford movie theater, etc. It might help encourage visitors to get out and spend $ instead of staying in.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 AM   #62
Orion

Default great idea - shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
.... I'd also love to see a shuttle run from some of the hotels and condos to destinations such as Weirs Beach, Fun spot, downtown Meredith, downtown Laconia, Gilford movie theater, etc. It might help encourage visitors to get out and spend $ instead of staying in.
Seems like the shuttle would be a great idea, but perhaps a shorter loop to start. It could run the triangle up Lakeside Ave to Rt. 3 and back down to the Weirs, possibly over the bridge to Naswa area. That would pass four campgrounds, the Fun Spot, Tamarack (and restaurants/activities on that intersection), Lake Winni Historical Museum, Kellerhaus, and would make it a bit more of a boating destination.

Last edited by Orion; 04-04-2016 at 06:41 AM. Reason: more info
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #63
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Seems like the shuttle would be a great idea, but perhaps a shorter loop to start. It could run the triangle up Lakeside Ave to Rt. 3 and back down to the Weirs, possibly over the bridge to Naswa area. That would pass four campgrounds, the Fun Spot, Tamarack (and restaurants/activities on that intersection), Lake Winni Historical Museum, Kellerhaus, and would make it a bit more of a boating destination.
Instead of Molly, the Trolley, it could be Lori, the Lorrey. L is for Laconia.

If successful, it could do a loop to Downtown Laconia, with stops along Paugus Bay, then take Messier St to Downtown with Stops around Veteran's Square, then through Downtown and back.

Like the way you think, Kauriel and Orion...

Last edited by upthesaukee; 04-04-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: had to put in Kauriel.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #64
Redbarn

Default shuttle

I like the road shuttle idea it is something that all those business could put together and have running this summer.
Here is another idea that would not just target tourist. For similar yet different purposes, I would also suggest that a trollie run on the tracks between Meredith, Weirs, and Down town Laconia. Couple reasons this would be good. It could run on clean natural gas. It could easily operate around the trains schedule. It would be good for tourist, businesses and any property that abuttes the tracks or is close. The state would benefit since the rail road pays it's lease based on gross revenue and the state subsidize the privately owned train.

For example, people who live in Southdown could flag it down, hop on, ride to Meredith grab a drink, ride back to Weirs have ice cream and watch the fireworks, and stop at there buddys house who also lives next to the tracks. Bet the Weirs would get a lot of people that would normally not stop.
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redbarn For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #65
camp guy

Default All this talk...

Maybe somebody should explore the parallels between Weirs Beach and Hampton Beach. Both of these locations had "their day" quite a few years ago, and both of these locations fell on hard times (for whatever reasons). Also, both of these locations began to attract a, if you will, "non-family" clientele which had the effect of driving away any remaining family visitors. This situation created a reputation which spread rapidly, thus solidifying the idea of not going there. Time passed, lots of time, and both locations sunk heavily into disrepair, financial despair, and loss of any viable investment.

More time passed, and slowly, ever so slowly, things began to turn around. At Hampton Beach the big push to turn around involved the local Hampton Beach Chamber of Commerce, and a ton of both local and State investment ($$$). The infrastructure was improved, the social climate was improved (with serious police intervention), and retail investment, to include both shops and restaurants, was improved. This took time and money, and a strong leadership.

Weirs isn't exactly the same as Hampton Beach, but the same formula might well apply. Weirs slipped, socially, to a location to which you didn't want to bring "your women and children", a location at which infrastructure was deteriorating rapidly, and a location in which investors were slow to make any investment at all, including State and local funds, let alone private funds. Again, time passed, and slowly, ever so slowly, things began to make changes. The rather rough and tumble (pronounced outlaw) crowd began to clean up its act, due to local policing; the infrastructure still needs work; and so does the retail situation.

The situation is sort of like the chicken and the egg, Which came first?, and who will spend the money first, the investor hoping to draw retail, or the retail dollar hoping to find a place to spend itself.

Weirs has a lot to offer, number one being Lake Winnipesaukee, and all it has to offer. It is also fairly easy to get to, either by land or water, and, actually, by air. Somewhere along the line there has to be a meeting of the elements involved to develop a plan which includes all elements to the satisfaction of all. Is this a pipe dream, no, but it won't happen overnight. Hampton Beach took a while to be re-born, and Weirs could enjoy the same fate.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
NewHaHagirl (04-05-2016), secondcurve (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #66
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Maybe somebody should explore the parallels between Weirs Beach and Hampton Beach. Both of these locations had "their day" quite a few years ago, and both of these locations fell on hard times (for whatever reasons). Also, both of these locations began to attract a, if you will, "non-family" clientele which had the effect of driving away any remaining family visitors. This situation created a reputation which spread rapidly, thus solidifying the idea of not going there. Time passed, lots of time, and both locations sunk heavily into disrepair, financial despair, and loss of any viable investment.

More time passed, and slowly, ever so slowly, things began to turn around. At Hampton Beach the big push to turn around involved the local Hampton Beach Chamber of Commerce, and a ton of both local and State investment ($$$). The infrastructure was improved, the social climate was improved (with serious police intervention), and retail investment, to include both shops and restaurants, was improved. This took time and money, and a strong leadership.

Weirs isn't exactly the same as Hampton Beach, but the same formula might well apply. Weirs slipped, socially, to a location to which you didn't want to bring "your women and children", a location at which infrastructure was deteriorating rapidly, and a location in which investors were slow to make any investment at all, including State and local funds, let alone private funds. Again, time passed, and slowly, ever so slowly, things began to make changes. The rather rough and tumble (pronounced outlaw) crowd began to clean up its act, due to local policing; the infrastructure still needs work; and so does the retail situation.

The situation is sort of like the chicken and the egg, Which came first?, and who will spend the money first, the investor hoping to draw retail, or the retail dollar hoping to find a place to spend itself.

Weirs has a lot to offer, number one being Lake Winnipesaukee, and all it has to offer. It is also fairly easy to get to, either by land or water, and, actually, by air. Somewhere along the line there has to be a meeting of the elements involved to develop a plan which includes all elements to the satisfaction of all. Is this a pipe dream, no, but it won't happen overnight. Hampton Beach took a while to be re-born, and Weirs could enjoy the same fate.
As someone who lived in hampton falls from 2008-2010 and then moved to Florida until 2015, I can say I noticed the changes at Hampton Beach. A work in progress? Sure, but I was amazed as the changes being made to clean it up along the beach. It looked respectable in many areas. Not so much the weirs, exactly the same as I remembered it, if not worse.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #67
garysanfran

Default Biggest draw in Weirs history...

Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens...

http://lwhs.us/wei-winnipesaukeepier.htm

Then there was Teen Haven up the street.

Currently, not much to do after dark, or in the morning, or in the afternoon.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-04-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #68
greeleyhill

Worse than I remember as a kid - way worse. I took my family there last summer. We rented the same cottage my parents rented when i was a kid which is walking distance to the Weirs. I really wanted to show them what i did when i was their age. We left the cottage for a a trip down memory lane and found and we couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was fourth of July weekend and it was busy (the beach area anyway) with unbelievable amounts of trash left by large, and I mean large, family cookouts. The town was definitely not on top of keeping up with trash removal - it was a real turn off. We walked to the end of the boardwalk, turned around and left as quickly as possible. Nobody said much - not me, my wife or my 3 kids. We were all just taking it in and wondering why we walked down there. We didn't even stop for ice cream. It was the beginning of our vacation and I was already thinking - wow - did I make a mistake of coming here? We dubbed the area "The Weirds" and never went back. Spent the rest of our nights at the cottage playing games or in Meredith by boat for dinner. We could see the weirs from our cottage which was nice, but I preferred to remember the area from when i was a youth. Exploring the arcades with my brother and friends. I don't plan on going back ever unless we need a pit stop from our boat or the place is completely renovated.
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #69
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post
It was fourth of July weekend and it was busy (the beach area anyway) with unbelievable amounts of trash left by large, and I mean large, family cookouts. The town was definitely not on top of keeping up with trash removal
Hopefully you took that opportunity to teach the family about "carry-in/carry-out". Weirs Beach as with all state parks do not offer trash removal services. They hope that each visitor will do the right thing and clean up after themselves.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #70
garysanfran

Default 100 Mile water ski rrace....

In the 60's, I remember a 100 mile water ski race that began and ended at The Weirs. It attracted a good crowd. There were also antique boat races along the Weirs front. After the races it was a little bit to eat and then we danced to Vanilla Fudge at The Gardens. Or was it Tommy James and the Shondells? I wonder what happened to these kind of activities? Liability concerns?
Old 04-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #71
Woodsy

Another Weirs improvement...

Word on the street has it..... El Jimador is opening up where Michaels used to be in the Alpenrose Building.

Woohoo!

Woodsy
Old 04-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #72
fatlazyless

Default .... what a screwy trash policy?

It seems unusual the beach area at the Weirs has a carry in-carry out trash policy, no public trash receptacles, and costs 10-dollars to park your car there. If visitors pay 10-dollars for parking, it seems like there could be some trash receptacles as well?

After paying 10-dollars and learning there's no trash receptacle, beach visitors probably get annoyed and just leave their trash while thinking ...... what a dumb trash policy?

Don't the 79-NH state liquor stores have a free public trash receptacle just outside their entry/exit and it costs nothing to go window shop the liquor inside the store without actually making a purchase?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #73
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
It seems unusual the beach area at the Weirs has a carry in-carry out trash policy, no public trash receptacles, and costs 10-dollars to park your car there. If visitors pay 10-dollars for parking, it seems like there could be some trash receptacles as well?

After paying 10-dollars and learning there's no trash receptacle, beach visitors probably get annoyed and just leave their trash while thinking ...... what a dumb trash policy?

Don't the 79-NH state liquor stores have a free public trash receptacle just outside their entry/exit and it costs nothing to go window shop the liquor inside the store without actually making a purchase?
You miss the point. All state owned and operated parks from Weirs beach to the parks in the White Mountains operate under the premise that the only people who would use such a facility are of the granola crunching Birkenstock sandal crowd who understand that one "Always carries out what one brings in" This is because the employees who work for the state at the policy level are of this type and know none who would ever think of leaving their trash behind. Sadly they do not live in the real world so yes it would be logical to place a few trash cans around and use a bit of the $10 parking fee for the cast of reveal. But logic and Government seem to be oxymoronic in nature
Old 04-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #74
noreast

Quote:

Is that true? that's ridiculous.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #75
Outdoorsman

Quote:
It seems unusual the beach area at the Weirs has a carry in-carry out trash policy...

Don't the 79-NH state liquor stores have a free public trash receptacle just outside their entry/exit ....?
I rarely see people having a BBQ/picnic at the state run liquor stores.

Comparing apples to oranges rarely works as intended.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #76
fatlazyless

Yes ...... well .....if the state can place a trash can for customer use at their state liquor stores ...... then why not also place a trash can at the Weirs Beach state beach/historic site which charges 10-dollars for parking?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #77
garysanfran

Default Incomprehensible...

Quote:
Yes ...... well .....if the state can place a trash can for customer use at their state liquor stores ...... then why not also place a trash can at the Weirs Beach state beach/historic site which charges 10-dollars for parking?
I agree with FLL.

Also, there are trash receptacles all along Weirs Blvd. These must be regularly serviced. It is unbelievable that there are none near the most populated portion of that area...The beach.

Given some of the minor stories covered in the Daily Citizen and The Sun, this would rate far more important to the local community than who's unknown cousin is marrying someone from Boca Raton. It also offers a photo opportunity of the offending piles of refuse.

I do know that the beach is machine "groomed" with some sort of schedule. Maybe an attempt to sift the hypodermic needles from the sand?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #78
jbolty

In all likely hood the state has a policy of carry out. It's in the best interest of the city to place and empty trash cans, regardless of who is responsible but there will be the inevitable war over turf when two governments collide.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #79
fatlazyless

Default ....... duh?

.........oooopsie-doopsie ........ there's got to be about ten or so very large trash receptacles all around the beach parking lot which must get emptied by the city .... so's what do I know .....not much?

Could be there's no trash receptacles on the sandy beach and people are expected to use the trash cans back at the nearby parking lot or something since it looks like maybe the beach belongs to the state, and the p-lot belongs to the city.....or something......duh?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #80
Outdoorsman

Quote:
I am not sure how many of these liquor stores are actually in state owned buildings, but I would guess most, if not all are in a leased facility which would make it the landlords responsibility for trash removal from the outside receptacles.

Also keep in mind that the state owned parks and beaches are not funded by tax dollars nor are they "turning a profit". If you want to add additional services to beaches than you can expect Concord to either increase "user fees" or increase property taxes.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #81
NoBozo

Quote:
.........oooopsie-doopsie ........ there's got to be about ten or so very large trash receptacles all around the beach parking lot which must get emptied by the city .... so's what do I know .....not much?

Could be there's no trash receptacles on the sandy beach and people are expected to use the trash cans back at the nearby parking lot or something since it looks like maybe the beach belongs to the state, and the p-lot belongs to the city.....or something......duh?
FLL: Time for some Beer...and maybe some Cheezits...or something... No Geese..and certainly....NO CHICKENS. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #82
Outdoorsman

Quote:
expected to use the trash cans back at the nearby parking lot or something since it looks like maybe the beach belongs to the state, and the p-lot belongs to the city.....or something......duh?
Perhaps Laconia can hire the local PD to assign an officer to each trash can at $59.00/HR and hand out ticket for "Illegal Dumping"....
Old 04-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #83
Dave R

I have a very simple solution to the Weirs. They should allow overnight docking (with strict restrictions and limitations to prevent people from using it as a marina) for a fee. They'd be the only town that allows it and the novelty would attract boaters and they would spend money (especially on drinking (which is high profit) since they would not need to operate the boat afterward). Restaurants and bars would thrive. The town could use the fees collected to improve the area.

Regarding limitations and restrictions, I would propose the following: "Overnight" means 6PM to 11AM. After 11, you gotta leave. Boats would be limited to one night stay per 10 day period. The person in charge of collecting fees would also decide what boats go where in order to make good use of the inner spots in the narrow dock spacing.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (04-09-2016), HellRaZoR004 (04-08-2016), Resident 2B (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #84
Mr. V

Another way to put the issue into perspective:

Assume a raging fire destroys the Weirs: gone, up in smoke, everything.

The owners, at least the insured ones, get paid off and made whole, and may not care to rebuild.

Assume an opportunistic developer comes along: what might be the highest, best, most profitable use for that area, rising Phoenix-like from the ashes?

What sort of new attraction will pack em in and keep em coming in this, the new millennium?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #85
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I have a very simple solution to the Weirs. They should allow overnight docking (with strict restrictions and limitations to prevent people from using it as a marina) for a fee. They'd be the only town that allows it and the novelty would attract boaters and they would spend money (especially on drinking (which is high profit) since they would not need to operate the boat afterward). Restaurants and bars would thrive. The town could use the fees collected to improve the area.

Regarding limitations and restrictions, I would propose the following: "Overnight" means 6PM to 11AM. After 11, you gotta leave. Boats would be limited to one night stay per 10 day period. The person in charge of collecting fees would also decide what boats go where in order to make good use of the inner spots in the narrow dock spacing.
Honestly Dave, I don't see how that would help the current situation. Let's just say for example 20 boats stayed overnight how much would 20 couples actually add to the economy of the Weirs?? The town would probably spend more money policing the boats for time limit violations than what they would bring in....

The Weirs needs drastic change to attract hundreds or even thousands of people. I don't pretend to have the answer but don't think overnight docking is one of them.

Dan
Old 04-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #86
nhcatrider

There needs to be a general plan. Do you want to attract families with young kids? Teens? College age? It isn't a huge amount of space to develop something that will attract all of the age groups so it would take careful planning and development to pull it off. Plus a ton of money.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #87
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Another way to put the issue into perspective:

Assume a raging fire destroys the Weirs: gone, up in smoke, everything.

The owners, at least the insured ones, get paid off and made whole, and may not care to rebuild.

Assume an opportunistic developer comes along: what might be the highest, best, most profitable use for that area, rising Phoenix-like from the ashes?

What sort of new attraction will pack em in and keep em coming in this, the new millennium?
I like the way you think !
Lightning this time of year is hard to prove on insurance ,
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #88
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Honestly Dave, I don't see how that would help the current situation. Let's just say for example 20 boats stayed overnight how much would 20 couples actually add to the economy of the Weirs?? The town would probably spend more money policing the boats for time limit violations than what they would bring in....

The Weirs needs drastic change to attract hundreds or even thousands of people. I don't pretend to have the answer but don't think overnight docking is one of them.

Dan
The idea is not to completely renew the area on just the money brought in by transient slip renters, the idea is to give people a reason to go there; just a little spark to get things going. Once people start going there and spending money, businesses expand which attracts more people (many by car) and more businesses and so forth.

Right now the town gets $0 for the docks and they sit completely void of boats all night, every night. If you pay a couple of college kids 12 bucks an hour to be the "Harbor Master" from 8 AM to noon, then 6 PM to 10 PM you are only spending 96 bucks a day + SS tax and such and you could make that up with one 35 foot boat at 3 bucks a foot (typical weekend rate for a transient slip). During slow periods, you could even do a pay and display system and eliminate the Harbor Master job.

Regardless, my idea makes use of a resource that already exists and is under-utilized with almost no investment. Any revenue from it would be a plus and any extra customers for local businesses are a plus. If it does not work out, there's no meaningful investment wasted. Who knows, maybe the other ports around the lake would follow suit and OUIs could go way down. Imagine if Dan Littlefield could have slept in his boat in Meredith that night...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #89
Dave R

Wanted to add one more thing...

The close spacing of the Weirs beach docks is generally a problem, but if you have a person there to manage docking, the close spacing is an asset as it packs the most boats in per square foot of surface area. You could even use the very under-utlilized boardwalk side of the main dock for shallow draft boats. If it makes fiscal sense, they could even dredge that area out to let bigger boats back there.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #90
Descant

Default Yes vote for overnight

I have at least three other places to stay overnight on my boat, but I would pay the suggested $3/ft once in awhile just for the nostalgia; maybe a sleep over adventure for the grandchildren. We used to stay overnight all over the lake, and the towns welcomed it because 1) we spent a little money and 2) cabin cruisers were an attraction for tourists to look at. Wolfeboro even had a "cruisers only" dock with water and electricity connections. Then people started staying all weekend as if it were a campground and partying 'til the wee hours, and instead of learning to control it, the towns all just banned overnight docking. (Part of the early problem was, in those days, no holding tanks or pump out stations, and the Weirs locked the public restrooms at night).

However, for $3.00 per foot, I'd like a dock master and electricity so I don't have to run, or listen to someone else running, a generator all night.

No, this won't provide enough $$ to support anything by itself, but it would add to the overall market appeal.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #91
kawishiwi

Default Year round destination...

A big hotel with a builtin year round draw like a Great Wolf lodge (with its big indoor waterpark), add some exposition space for trade shows and the like for shoulder seasons. Add a bit of nice shops, food places, + some fun touristy spots. Hotel could run ski shuttles & ski and stay packages, stay and ride packages for snow machines, stay and fish, stay and ice fish, stay and boat, etc. Wedding specials. Tie in with the mount? Tie in with marinas? Is there enough good golf nearby to add that? Heck maybe build/refurb a destination golf course/xcountry ski area nearby. Gonna hafta drop the whole bike week thing? I think i would be worth it. Make a developer pay to move the veterans nearby into brand new digs. If only I had a few dozen million laying around
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #92
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post
We left the cottage for a a trip down memory lane and found and we couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was fourth of July weekend and it was busy (the beach area anyway) with unbelievable amounts of trash left by large, and I mean large, family cookouts. The town was definitely not on top of keeping up with trash removal - it was a real turn off. We walked to the end of the boardwalk, turned around and left
There is a particular problem on the Fourth of July. A large, no make that VERY LARGE, group most from the Lawrence Mass. area inundates the beach every year on that day. The vehicle traffic starts at 6 AM and the beach fills up fast. Area businesses have had problems with some of the group. It is no surprise that they do not pick up after themselves.

The subject has been covered before but it is a difficult problem to solve and remain politically correct.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-11-2016), nicole (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #93
valhala

Default Weirs Bech

The issue with Weirs Beach on July 4th has now carried over to most weekends in July and August. Regretfully, my family and I avoid that area on weekends now. What I see left behind is a sign of the times; disrespect for the area and others who may also like to enjoy the beach. It looks like a campground - charcoal grills left for trash, hammocks and bedding strung from tree to tree, people sleeping in tents, loud music from the cars that are parked in the lot, pots, pans, garbage, and more. this all gets left behind. It is chaos, and unsafe to walk through there at times.
The owners of the Winnepesaukee Pier have let the building and the mini golf course area become run down. And now, from what I have heard, there won't even be an operating gas dock.
This thread could probably go on for years to come, and nothing will have changed. We are saddened by it, but still try to visit the area for walk on the boardwalk, an ice cream, or a ride on the Mount ( though pricey for the family).
It has so much potential.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #94
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

This video I shot on July 4th weekend in 2011 gives a good view of the activity at Weirs Beach:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (04-11-2016), JasonG (04-11-2016), Orion (04-12-2016), Resident 2B (04-11-2016), upthesaukee (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #95
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
This video I shot on July 4th weekend in 2011 gives a good view of the activity at Weirs Beach:

great video
it is not like that now that is for sure
nicole (04-11-2016), Orion (04-12-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #96
radioman

Default All this talk

Nothing will change until the town comes up with a "Plan" I wonder if they care or if they are even capable of creating such a thing!!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #97
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Nothing will change until the town comes up with a "Plan" I wonder if they care or if they are even capable of creating such a thing!!
There is a plan. Here is a summary graphic.

http://www.cityoflaconianh.org/uploa...n%20Poster.pdf

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #98
radioman

Default All this talk

R2B. Thank you for the info, very interesting! I wish to apologize if I have offended anyone, but I think that you understand my point.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #99
HellRaZoR004

Interesting graphic R2B. I think a boat launch there will be problematic with the current. Doable, just not for everyone.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #100
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Interesting graphic R2B. I think a boat launch there will be problematic with the current. Doable, just not for everyone.
Well, once you get by the current issue, and deal with the heavy boat traffic and boat wakes on weekends while you are trying to launch a boat, there is also the issue of major boulders just under the surface in that area. You might have to call in the top secret "move a rock club" to clear the area.

Or, one could wonder how the city or state will obtain ownership of all that private property for a boat launch and the associated public parking.

Or, you could consider that the area that the plan shows as developed, to the left of the Channel, from the point down to the mini-golf area at the bridge were once planned to be an 80 room hotel. That was a great plan and it would have been a tremendous boon to the Weirs area until the Indian arrowheads were found on that land and the project was terminated.

See, it's just not that easy!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (04-11-2016)