Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
Knomad

Default Loons

While traveling between Whortleberry Is and the Grave Yard the other evening we passed a group of 12 Loons. That's the first time we've seen that many in one group. I always thought they were pretty territorial and stayed in smaller family groups.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Maybe a group is getting ready to head south: http://www.bsc-eoc.org/clls-nh2.html
Or maybe it was a party using the $$ from the Harley dealer
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Maybe a group is getting ready to head south: http://www.bsc-eoc.org/clls-nh2.html
Or maybe it was a party using the $$ from the Harley dealer
Maybe they are spending some of Obamas stimulas $$$
Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

We saw a group gathered too. It makes you wonder, since it is so early. They typically do gather before they go south. Sometimes you will see as many as 15 of them together in Oct.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
wildwoodfam

Default May not be that early...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
We saw a group gathered too. It makes you wonder, since it is so early. They typically do gather before they go south. Sometimes you will see as many as 15 of them together in Oct.
Yesterday, while at the beach, I saw 5 large flocks (of 20-30 birds) of commorants (ocean birds) flying in V formation south along the coast. The chill in the air and the generally cool summer may have these birds thinking it's time for their annual trek to the winter grounds.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
ApS

Question Where ARE the numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
While a dozen gathered in one place is a decent number, it may still be too early. Accustomed to seeing several groups of a dozen or more, I've seen no more than five gathered at one time so far this year.

There have been a lot of "fly-ins" by other Loons and I've never witnessed so many numbers of take-offs and landings. Reduced late-night vocalizations suggest that there are not many around, even now in October. (Here, at least).

Since the really large groups haven't appeared for me (but may still yet appear), here's an account from a previous year:

Quote:
"That this is an exciting time of year for the loons is apparent from their behavior. They are more "talkative" among themselves, exchanging an occasional, soft "hoo". They preen a lot, engage in "horseplay", and are generally more active at the surface.

"Last week I sailed past a small group and suddenly found that a loon had surfaced directly in front of my moving boat. We had each startled one another. I doubt that three seconds passed from our mutual, surprise, meeting -- to his diving escape. (Close enough that I got wet from his departure).

"Loons are readying for their winter migration to the oceans off the US' east coast from Maine to Florida. That includes a change of feathers. As they gather in small groups (October) and preen out the old feathers, it is evidenced by the many white breast feathers that drift away downwind from these groups. Somewhere out there, a birding magazine sports a headline "Birds: What They're Wearing for Autumn".

"Gatherings get larger as the weather cools more, and as more loons arrive from Canada. Their usual summer (loud) vocalizations are much reduced now.

"The larger groups (I've seen 17 clustered) are even more active, with lots of horseplay, chases across the water -- which can gather several participants -- and the occasional single liftoff, not to be seen again. If you've seen a automobile destruction derby, that's what these afternoon loon activities can look like.

"Some of these pranks include a submerged loon poking another loon's underside. (Which starts a new spate of horseplay and chases all over again)."
Friday afternoon was remarkable for even the very few Loons to outnumber even fewer boats!

I'd expect some variation in annual migration patterns, but the absense of several large gatherings—to date—is a bit unsettling.

UPDATE:
The following day, a Loon near shore called out very loudly, "Ah-Oo!". I looked up to see a large near-adult* Bald Eagle turning in the sky just 50' above the Loon! The Loon then went "Ah-Oo°°°°-glub" as it quickly dove from the careening Eagle.

*"Near-adult" means having the white head and tail of the adult, but with a few juvenile-white feathers remaining on its wings and body.

Maybe the resurgence of Lake Winnipesaukee Eagles (this season in particular) is keeping Loons away?

Last edited by ApS; 10-11-2009 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Update for Saturday—the next day...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote