Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
Phantom

Default What's going on with RT 11B

Anyone know what the plan is for rte 11B
?

Seems they have done some MAJOR tree clearing along the sides of the road between Silver Sands to the Weirs.

First thought it might be a road widening project but there is at least one "old time" cemetary along the path that abut the current road. How would they deal with that ?

(Sorry for typo's working off phone)
FWF (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
Scott

Nothing is planned, Eversource just wants the road to be less overgrown. It appears if there is no landowner objection, they will cut pretty far back from the road and remove large trees. They did a similar job across from Christmas Island and up by Cedar Lodge.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
JPC

Default Eversource

They are doing it in Bedford, Amherst, Milford, Nashua, Brookline. They are getting ready for the next major ice storm.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Eversource spending 68 million removing trees

They cut the branches away from the wires every year. However, this year the cutting seems more extensive. They have taken down a lot of trees. It looks like a major program change this year.

http://fox61.com/2016/03/09/eversour...ing-this-year/
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
DickR

When hardwood trees are cut, trimmed, and the logs left by the side of the road, are there any general rules as to who gets to take the wood?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

The abutting landowner often owns the wood so if he/she wants it that settles it. Many secondary roads are public rights of way with the abutting land owner owing the fee interest to the center-line. Even when the town/state owns the fee interest, the abutting land owner is presumed to have 1st dibs.

If the abutting landowner shows no interest then maybe the wood is up for grabs. However asking 1st would be a good idea.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:17 AM   #7
ApS

Red face "Free Firewood"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
When hardwood trees are cut, trimmed, and the logs left by the side of the road, are there any general rules as to who gets to take the wood?
I don't know the answer, but the one time I loaded a bunch, I could see wood ticks lining the tips of roadside grasses!

A story from a few years back:

A family member breathlessly advised there was a pile of firewood to be picked up nearby. Sure enough, on a public roadway, there was even a sign that said "Firewood", with an arrow pointing to a big pile.

I loaded one piece, and realized that nobody would give away split hardwood firewood, and that the sign was intended for delivery by the supplier!

Empty-handed, we sped away!

Old 05-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #8
Reilly

Unhappy Fyi

I happen to own the property that surrounds the Wilkinson Cemetary on 11B, I learned that they can trim trees without permission but need owners permission to cut down trees. The wood is the homeowners unless they don't want it . The problem that everyone is having including myself is the stumps that are very ugly & expensive to get rid of . Currently in talks with eversource but don't expect much,
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
Phantom (05-11-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
A family member breathlessly advised there was a pile of firewood to be picked up nearby. Sure enough, on a public roadway, there was even a sign that said "Firewood", with an arrow pointing to a big pile.

I loaded one piece, and realized that nobody would give away split hardwood firewood, and that the sign was intended for delivery by the supplier!

Empty-handed, we sped away!

Priceless!
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-13-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Stump Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
I happen to own the property that surrounds the Wilkinson Cemetary on 11B, I learned that they can trim trees without permission but need owners permission to cut down trees. The wood is the homeowners unless they don't want it . The problem that everyone is having including myself is the stumps that are very ugly & expensive to get rid of . Currently in talks with eversource but don't expect much,
I am not sure if this is something you would consider doing but I rented a stump grinder from Taylor Rental last year. I was amazed how easy to operate it was.

The machine is on tracks and all of the movements, up down and sideways, are controlled by levers. Without much effort at all I reduced 3 stumps that were approximately 18 to 24 inches across to wood chips. It was a lot easier than I thought, and almost fun.

If you have no luck with Eversource it may be an option for you.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote