Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
MSmith686

Default Coming up next weekend!

Hello all,
My girlfriend and I are coming up to the lake May 29-June 1. I have been doing a ton of research on the lake so I can be prepared as best I can. Any thoughts on what the smallmouth spawn might be like? I'm hoping we have a great couple of days of fishing. I picked up some Silver Buddies, I saw a lot of people mentioning them for Winni. I know the kinds of answers I can expect from this question, but are there any suggestions on areas we should head to? I know I'm not a local so I don't expect a ton of help haha, but any would be appreciated. Thank you!
MSmith686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith686 View Post
Hello all,
My girlfriend and I are coming up to the lake May 29-June 1. I have been doing a ton of research on the lake so I can be prepared as best I can. Any thoughts on what the smallmouth spawn might be like? I'm hoping we have a great couple of days of fishing. I picked up some Silver Buddies, I saw a lot of people mentioning them for Winni. I know the kinds of answers I can expect from this question, but are there any suggestions on areas we should head to? I know I'm not a local so I don't expect a ton of help haha, but any would be appreciated. Thank you!
All I can say is hit the coves with about 3-8 feet of water.
We killed it\last weekend, and we stayed away from the beds!!!
caught about 20 plus

hitting black or dark orang weighted tubes bouncing on the bottom, some jerk baits when finding areas

cant give up my coves though for the beginning of the season, water is about 59-62 depending on where you are

remember May 15-June 21st is catch and release rule by Fish and Game
secondcurve (05-30-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #3
MSmith686

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to keep tubes in mind, you're not the first person to recommend them. I'm catch and release only so no worries there. Hopefully we have a good couple of days!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
AC2717

just cant give my coves up, I am sure they are the same as other peoples, but they just hit so good in different parts of the day
Old 05-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
MSmith686

Understood! Hopefully I'll stumble upon them
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
GusMan

Default Winnie fishing

Hi MSmith,

At what part of the lake are you staying? What type of boat (if any) do you have? I can probably give you some pointers with that information.

With the water temps in the upper 50's and low 60's, the fish will definitely be moving up or already up onto their beds for the spawn. I would target rocky dropoffs adjacent to spawning flats. Suspending jerkbaits, weightless soft plastic stick baits, tubes and carolina rigged lizards are all good bets. I like silver buddies too, but the water might be a bit warm for them at this point. I like to fish them with water temps in the 40's. Keep in mind that water temps will vary greatly this time of year with the main lake areas colder than the coves so look around to find water temps that you like.

Let me know what areas you're planning to fish and I can give you some specific suggestions.

Cheers and Have a Blast!

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
MSmith686

Hi GusMan,

I'm actually staying about 20 minutes from the lake, at the Lake House at Ferry Point. I'll be launching at Silver Sands Marina the mornings of the 7th and 8th, and possibly the 9th. That seemed to be the best choice of launch in relation to where I'm staying, feel free to make other suggestions. I have a 17' aluminum Bass Tracker with a 50hp.

I didn't have too many specific areas in mind. I have seen good things about Christmas and Moultonborough, but I'm not too set on certain areas yet. I figured I would nail that down sometime within the next week. Again, I am very much open to suggestions!

I appreciate all the input, thank you!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
just cant give my coves up, I am sure they are the same as other peoples, but they just hit so good in different parts of the day
I know your coves...you better hurry!
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
kawishiwi

Smile Buck bass non-spawners

My son found smallies on windy points at the mouth of bays on jerkbaits. Never a lot on most points but did get 6 on one. We found active nests at the head of one of the bays. Each had a small male only on it. We left them to their work. Was surprised these beds were so dispersed. 30+ feet between them. Is this normal on Winni?
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
MSmith686

Just thought I would post an update! I fished Friday, got on the water around 11:00. We put 11 small mouth in the boat in about 3.5 hours, all caught on Bass Pro Shops stick-o's green pumpkin magic and mardis gras. Mostly sight fishing in a cove; see a school of small mouth about 30 yards out and cast to it, they'd hit it on the fall. Saturday, went out to the cove at Black Island around 10:00 and didn't get much. Went back to our Friday spot and put another 10 in the boat on green pumpkin magic stick-o's. Also had bites on a bass colored suspending jerk bait and silver/purple 1/2oz spinnerbait, just missed the hooksets. Also had mores bits on the stick-o's that were missed. We wanted to get out really early, but since the bed and breakfast we stayed at didn't start breakfast until 8:00, we didn't have much of a choice. And really, who's going to miss out on breakfast?
Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
glennsteely

Talking The Bass!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith686 View Post
Just thought I would post an update! I fished Friday, got on the water around 11:00. We put 11 small mouth in the boat in about 3.5 hours, all caught on Bass Pro Shops stick-o's green pumpkin magic and mardis gras. Mostly sight fishing in a cove; see a school of small mouth about 30 yards out and cast to it, they'd hit it on the fall. Saturday, went out to the cove at Black Island around 10:00 and didn't get much. Went back to our Friday spot and put another 10 in the boat on green pumpkin magic stick-o's. Also had bites on a bass colored suspending jerk bait and silver/purple 1/2oz spinnerbait, just missed the hooksets. Also had mores bits on the stick-o's that were missed. We wanted to get out really early, but since the bed and breakfast we stayed at didn't start breakfast until 8:00, we didn't have much of a choice. And really, who's going to miss out on breakfast?
The bass missed out on breakfast if you were feeding them at lunch both days!! lol!!