Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Dave R

Default Only two more boating trips to Winnipesaukee for us...

Took a deposit on our old boat over the weekend. New owners are aware that we will be taking our kids for one last cruise before the new owners take possession. The next and final time out will be the sea-trial/orientation cruise for the new owners.

We are taking delivery of our "new" boat next month and cruising it from Lake Erie to our slip in Hampton River Marina. We will sell our house and start cruising full time in 2020. The new boat is not trailerable and will never be in Winnipesaukee.

Going to miss having a boat on the lake very much but it's time to start a new adventure.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (04-24-2019), BroadHopper (05-16-2019), ITD (06-02-2019), Just Sold (06-02-2019), Rattlesnake Gal (05-17-2019), Red apple (04-24-2019), Resident 2B (04-24-2019), robmac (05-21-2019), TheRoBoat (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Details

How about details on your new boat, upgrading from what to what. Will you be heading south when cold weather sets in?

Good luck. Hate to see a good name go.

From one Dave to another Dave.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
How about details on your new boat, upgrading from what to what. Will you be heading south when cold weather sets in?

Good luck. Hate to see a good name go.

From one Dave to another Dave.
Thanks!

Going from a 2000 25 foot Regal cuddy with a single I/O to a 1992 Tollycraft 44 foot cockpit motor yacht with twin diesels inboards. Plan is to follow the nice weather between the Caribbean and Canada on the east coast. Also plan to do a great loop eventually too.

The new boat has spent its entire existence on the great lakes, except for one trip to the Bahamas, and was extremely well-maintained.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-16-2019), Doobs41378 (08-13-2019), Puffin (04-24-2019), trfour (04-22-2019), upthesaukee (04-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
Hillcountry

Congrats! Big commitment to become a “looper”!
Sounds like a great adventure! Good luck and following seas!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
iw8surf

Enjoy! Sounds like a awesome way to spend some time
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Dave congratulations and good luck on your new adventure. It sounds very exciting, be safe
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Jealous

Good luck and smooth sailing. The loopers we know have now been doing it for years, a few months at a time. After having completed the first loop, they cruise one area for awhile, move to another. They still keep a NH house. Great adventures.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
beagle (04-25-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #8
Dave R

Thanks for the kind words. I am really going to miss all the wonderful days on the lake. That's where I started boating as a kid and it's very dear to me. My wife and I have done a ton of exploring off the lake over the last few years and have enjoyed that so much that we want to do more.

The folks in this video are doing exactly what we will be doing, on the exact same brand and model boat we just bought. They have been extremely helpful with advice, and despite the fact that we haven't met in person, we consider them friends already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C9V28FWPiw
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-16-2019), Electric man (04-24-2019), joey2665 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Good Luck!

Enjoy your new adventure Dave! Hope you will still check in here when you can as I always enjoyed reading your posts, they were always informative and helpful! You have forgotten more about boating than most people know!

On another note...I had the opportunity to explore the outer islands of the Bahama's this past winter, specifically Exuma. I hope if you have the opportunity you can make it down there as it is a boaters paradise and so much to see and explore especially by boat! We plan on going back next year (not by boat unfortunately) and eventually would love to navigate there from the states...maybe baby steps from Miami at first.

Anyway, safe travels!

Dan
Dave R (04-23-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
brk-lnt

Stop by and say hello if your journey brings you near St. Pete.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Enjoy your new adventure Dave! Hope you will still check in here when you can as I always enjoyed reading your posts, they were always informative and helpful! You have forgotten more about boating than most people know!

On another note...I had the opportunity to explore the outer islands of the Bahama's this past winter, specifically Exuma. I hope if you have the opportunity you can make it down there as it is a boaters paradise and so much to see and explore especially by boat! We plan on going back next year (not by boat unfortunately) and eventually would love to navigate there from the states...maybe baby steps from Miami at first.

Anyway, safe travels!

Dan
Thanks. Exumas are absolutely on the short list of places to visit in the new boat. From what I have heard, one can spend years exploring them without seeing it all. We hope to isalnd hop quite a bit in the Caribbean and when doing that, the Exumas are typically step 2 when starting in FL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
Puffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Thanks!

Going from a 2000 25 foot Regal cuddy with a single I/O to a 1992 Tollycraft 44 foot cockpit motor yacht with twin diesels inboards. Plan is to follow the nice weather between the Caribbean and Canada on the east coast. Also plan to do a great loop eventually too.

The new boat has spent its entire existence on the great lakes, except for one trip to the Bahamas, and was extremely well-maintained.
YOu are living my Dream, even with the same boat.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
YOu are living my Dream, even with the same boat.
You have great taste in boats! Tollys are not very fancy, but they are carefully and ruggedly built of high quality materials. I think they are much better built than Asian boats of the same style and vintage. Mine's got twin CAT 3208TAs, which I prefer over the DD 6V53TIs that many came with.
Attached Images

Descant (05-01-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:40 AM   #14
winnipiseogee

Congratulations!! You are living my retirement dream. Sounds amazing.

I second the Exuma suggestion (although it should also include the Abacos). Although we’ve been all over the Caribbean proper, this past thanksgiving was our first trip to the out islands of the Bahamas. We joke that it’s the lakes region of the Caribbean. Lots of great little islands and areas that are easy to explore by boat. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me given how many year round lakes region residents own places in the Bahamas.

Safe travels to you and your wife!! Post a pic or two to the forum so that we can live vicariously through you!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnipiseogee For This Useful Post:
Dave R (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 05:57 AM   #15
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Beautiful boat Dave!! Best of luck and travel safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Dave R (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
Congratulations!! You are living my retirement dream. Sounds amazing.

I second the Exuma suggestion (although it should also include the Abacos). Although we’ve been all over the Caribbean proper, this past thanksgiving was our first trip to the out islands of the Bahamas. We joke that it’s the lakes region of the Caribbean. Lots of great little islands and areas that are easy to explore by boat. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me given how many year round lakes region residents own places in the Bahamas.

Safe travels to you and your wife!! Post a pic or two to the forum so that we can live vicariously through you!
We will likely go to the Bahamas multiple times and enjoy each region of them for long stays when we do. We've been there before, but not by our own boat, and are eager to get back and enjoy the place from our own floating home.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #17
Puffin

Quote:
You have great taste in boats! Tollys are not very fancy, but they are carefully and ruggedly built of high quality materials. I think they are much better built than Asian boats of the same style and vintage. Mine's got twin CAT 3208TAs, which I prefer over the DD 6V53TIs that many came with.
Beautiful boat. I LOL when I saw your post above about searching for C-Shels? I have been watching them now for a couple of years on YouTube. There was a recent interview Q&A with them on THESHIPSLOGG.BLOGSPOT.COM titled Leaving Land Behind.

I've been working on my wife to get her to buy into the idea of selling the house and moving on-board and traveling but she can't seem to get her head around it.

I would like to see your boat when you get her home, maybe it could convince my wife to make the move.

Although we love the lake, My heart has always been on the ocean and the ability to travel anywhere you desire.

Best of Luck and I hope you post about your adventures.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Beautiful boat. I LOL when I saw your post above about searching for C-Shels? I have been watching them now for a couple of years on YouTube. There was a recent interview Q&A with them on THESHIPSLOGG.BLOGSPOT.COM titled Leaving Land Behind.

I've been working on my wife to get her to buy into the idea of selling the house and moving on-board and traveling but she can't seem to get her head around it.

I would like to see your boat when you get her home, maybe it could convince my wife to make the move.

Although we love the lake, My heart has always been on the ocean and the ability to travel anywhere you desire.

Best of Luck and I hope you post about your adventures.
We would love to have you aboard. Please ping me if I forget to invite you.

We picked the Tolly 44 as our next boat about 4 years ago, but were not ready to buy just yet and continued to trailer-cruise our Regal in the mean time. About three years ago, while researching for the Golden Triangle* cruise that we took last year in the Regal, I stumbled upon some older videos that Cindy and Sheldon made on their own Golden Triangle cruise aboard their Tolly34, which were really helpful. 2 hours of youtube later, I discovered that they had bought our dream boat and not only that, we stayed in the same marina and ate in the same restaurant less than a week apart in Solomons on Chesepeake Bay in May 2016. They were on their way home having just bought the Tolly and we were cruising our Regal on northern Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac (which is great fun).

* Golden Triangle Cruise is a wonderful 450ish mile loop:

1000 Islands-Ottawa via the Rideau Canal
Ottawa-Montreal via the Ottawa River
Montreal to 1000 Islands via the St Lawrence River

We had always planned to get a live aboard boat, but the long cruises we did over the last 3 years sealed the deal and accelerated the plans rapidly. After spending 17 days straight (our longest cruise to date) last year on our 25 foot cuddy and loving every minute of it, we just knew it was time to pull the trigger and buy a Tolly 44 to live on. Time will tell if it was the right thing to do...

If you have a boat you can sleep on and the means to move it around, I strongly recommend that you take your wife on a multi-day cruise and see how it goes. Winnipesaukee is wonderful, but it's such a drag to not be able to go on a multi-day adventure, staying in different places every night. If you've never done a cruise like that, I can assure you that you will be hooked, it really is special.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #19
Puffin

I will take you up on that offer.

That's a great story you have regarding your near run in with Cindy and Sheldon. Just shows how small the world really is.

I've been boating my whole life, as a child our family time was spent boating from Boston to the Cape and Islands almost every weekend.

My wife and I are on our 3rd boat, first was an 89 2155 Bayliner Cuddy, then an 02 Glastron Express Cruiser, and our current boat is an 06 Regal 3360; Fantastic boat but not the right one for long range cruising.

We used to trailer the Bayliner all over the place when the kids were young, but settle on Winnipesaukee 16-17 years ago.

Our current 3360 is to large to trailer with an 11.4 beam so we are lake locked, although we have talked about moving to the ocean, for a change. As you point out its a drag on the lake not being able to go for an "adventure". I've explored the entire lake many times, its time to find new territory.

We have considered and even looked at bare boat charters in the Ft. Myers area. Really not to expensive if you can get another couple to go in on it. We have family down there and visit every year but haven't pulled the trigger. I know that once we would love it.

I'm looking forward to your updates on your trip to bring you new Trolly home. Cheers!
Old 04-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
I will take you up on that offer.

That's a great story you have regarding your near run in with Cindy and Sheldon. Just shows how small the world really is.

I've been boating my whole life, as a child our family time was spent boating from Boston to the Cape and Islands almost every weekend.

My wife and I are on our 3rd boat, first was an 89 2155 Bayliner Cuddy, then an 02 Glastron Express Cruiser, and our current boat is an 06 Regal 3360; Fantastic boat but not the right one for long range cruising.

We used to trailer the Bayliner all over the place when the kids were young, but settle on Winnipesaukee 16-17 years ago.

Our current 3360 is to large to trailer with an 11.4 beam so we are lake locked, although we have talked about moving to the ocean, for a change. As you point out its a drag on the lake not being able to go for an "adventure". I've explored the entire lake many times, its time to find new territory.

We have considered and even looked at bare boat charters in the Ft. Myers area. Really not to expensive if you can get another couple to go in on it. We have family down there and visit every year but haven't pulled the trigger. I know that once we would love it.

I'm looking forward to your updates on your trip to bring you new Trolly home. Cheers!
I grew up boating on Winnipesaukee and only started expanding my boating area beyond lakes about 12 years ago. It's been a real eye opener and I'm hooked on the freedom that exists outside NH lakes.

Assuming your Regal has stern drives, I would just keep it on the lake. Stern drives and salt water slips/moorings are a bad mix, IMO and it will take quite a beating when it's sitting in unused. That said, if you wanted to expand you cruising area substantially and ease into the cruising lifestyle it would be an awesome boat for Champlain. From there, you can make trips to the ocean or great lakes AND all the canal systems in the north east (Erie, C&S, Oswego, Champlain, Trent-Severn, Welland, Rideau, and Richelieu).

I think a couple could easily spend 2+ months living on a boat like yours in the waters described above without much hassle. The large amount of friendly and convenient marine services and free/cheap overnight dockage makes it incredibly easy to cruise there. You can spend a lifetime of Summers just going from one charming town to another by boat, without any overlap. You could leave Mallets Bay on Champlain and be here in a (really fun) week or month of cruising:
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #21
Puffin

Yes, I have stern drives and agree they are not suited for the Ocean. When we make the move we will definitely go with inboards.

We've thought about Lake Champlain, if not for the season maybe for an extended vacation. Would be a little expensive to move my boat for just a vaca though.

We have friends that have the same exact boat as we have who made that move to Champlain last year. They lived in Hooksett at the time but found the drive to be to much for every weekend, they are now back on Winni.

We are from Central MA., our commute to the lake is 2 hours on a good day, 2.5-3 on busy weekends, to get to Champlain would be 4+ which is to much for me every weekend. I usually go up Friday afternoon and leave Monday morning and go straight to work. Gives me 2 solid days on the boat each week.

We do spend every single weekend on the boat from Iceout to end of October, as well as a week or two during the summer. The boat is very comfortable, you can easily do extended stays.

When we make the move to the ocean it will likely be the Rhode Island area, it's only a little over an hour from our home which would reduce travel time and you can still get to alot of great cruising grounds. Unless of course we sell the house and move onboard full time.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Puffin For This Useful Post:
Dave R (04-26-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 04:15 AM   #22
ApS

Question Maybe a Video-Travelogue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
Congratulations!! You are living my retirement dream. Sounds amazing. I second the Exuma suggestion (although it should also include the Abacos). Although we’ve been all over the Caribbean proper, this past thanksgiving was our first trip to the out islands of the Bahamas. We joke that it’s the lakes region of the Caribbean. Lots of great little islands and areas that are easy to explore by boat. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me given how many year round lakes region residents own places in the Bahamas. Safe travels to you and your wife!! Post a pic or two to the forum so that we can live vicariously through you!
Maybe a continuing video adventure with underwater and drone videos, of underwater caverns, aggressive swimming pigs , and adventures with solar-power, with Uma or Velos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUsIoP2Px0U

One of my Brewster Academy alumnus sailed a 30-foot cat-rigged sailboat from Maine and landed on Eleuthera Island, Bahamas. Of the 300+ Bahamas' "Out-islands", he stopped at the one island I'd stopped at! He's still there, managing his own banana plantation but returning to Wolfeboro briefly every Spring.

To me, a big concern is medical care: nearly everything that can happen to a human involves transport to Miami. My friend with the plantation advises, "We're on top of it", having just received the island's first X-ray machine!

I'm still envious of that move, especially as Bahamians are the most-relaxed and nicest of people!

My present Florida neighbor had thought to make their retirement in The Bahamas, but fell over the transom on their 52-foot cruiser, landed on the swim platform—breaking his back! I haven't inquired, but I gather their second retirement home in Naples, FL, was for extended medical care. (Implanted an electronic device internal to his spinal column, which completely fixed the injury!)

They've since moved again, to their third retirement home—next door to me. (And just in time to share the eye of Hurricane Irma!)

My two (only-other) Florida neighbors are from New Hampshire! (Meredith and Hampton). One just explore-boated Exuma Island this winter, and had volumes to say of their great adventure. I've forgotten why he's not going back: something to do with boat- or housing- rentals? He soon will be exploring other "Out-Islands"—Cat- and Abacos- (?) instead.

'Just checked, and they're going to Hopetown, Abacos Island.

Last edited by ApS; 04-28-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: they're going to Hopetown, Abacos Island
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #23
brk-lnt

Quote:
Yes, I have stern drives and agree they are not suited for the Ocean. When we make the move we will definitely go with inboards.
While inboards (or outboards) are better overall for salt water, you see plenty of I/Os. If your boat is lift-kept, it significantly cuts down on the maintenance issues.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #24
Cal Coon

Quote:
Nice looking boat, Dave. Congratulations for making your dreams come true!! I would love to do the same thing eventually, when the time is right. I'm just wondering about a couple things if you don't mind. First, what is the fuel capacity, and the range on that boat, and I'm assuming it has a gas generator (?), and if so, was wondering what the fuel tank capacity is for that as well? Just wondering how many days in a row you could cruise without having to refuel. Also wondering what the fresh water holding tank capacity is? Does it have a 110/220 washer/dryer, or do you need to do laundry on shore somewhere? Just curious to know if it is completely self sustaining or not. Thanks.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 04-28-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #25
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Nice looking boat, Dave. Congratulations for making your dreams come true!! I would love to do the same thing eventually, when the time is right. I'm just wondering about a couple things if you don't mind. First, what is the fuel capacity, and the range on that boat, and I'm assuming it has a gas generator (?), and if so, was wondering what the fuel tank capacity is for that as well? Just wondering how many days in a row you could cruise without having to refuel. Also wondering what the fresh water holding tank capacity is? Does it have a 110/220 washer/dryer, or do you need to do laundry on shore somewhere? Just curious to know if it is completely self sustaining or not. Thanks.
It has 400 gallons of fuel capacity and a range of 300 miles at 25 knots to 1000+ miles at 8.5 knots.

It has an 8000 watt generator that runs off the same tanks as the main engines.

The water tank holds 140 gallons. It has 40 gallons of black water tank capacity. It has vacuflush heads so the black water tanks can be relatively small.

The boat is 120V only. At present, it does not have a washer/dryer but we plan to add a Splendide combo so we can wash clothes on board. We intend to line dry clothes, bu the Splendide will dry on 120 volts, if you don't mind waiting awhile...

My understanding is that it is good for a week for a couple until water is needed. The black water tanks can be emptied outside of no discharge zones. We may add a 120V 37 gph water maker to extend time away from water sources.

This is not an ocean crossing boat. It's made for coastal cruising and island hopping. That's precisely what we plan to do, so it's a good fit. We intend to cruise at 8.5 knots (10MPH) most of the time and open it up a couple of times a day to load the diesel engine up and blow out the soot. We like that we can run at 25 knots if needed to outrun weather or make a port before sunset when running late.

We plan to add 1000 watts of solar and some major electrical upgrades to keep generator use to a minimum and allow for world-wide shore power voltage. We also plan to upgrade the anchor from a 50 Lb CQR to a 73 lb Rocna Vulcan. The boat has three reverse cycle air conditioners, but we hope to avoid using them at anchor. The boat has reputation for good natural ventilation and it came with Sunbrella window awnings to keep the sun out and allow the windows to remain open in the rain. We hope it all works as planned. Having the ability to follow the good weather should help a lot.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:58 PM   #26
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Maybe I missed it but wondering if you will be doing the intercostal in Florida?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (05-19-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #27
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Maybe I missed it but wondering if you will be doing the intercostal in Florida?
Indeed, not just FL, but we plan to do the whole ICW many times.
tis (04-29-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #28
Dave R

Sad day yesterday saying goodbye to the old boat. New owners took it home it to live on Champlain. Guessing the boat knows that lake better than they do, it's been all over it on multiple trips...

I'm as happy today as I was sad yesterday, I just got word from the sea-trial/delivery captain that my new boat performed flawlessly after a long Winter's slumber. There was some question about the condition of the house and MMC batteries, so prior to the sea trial, they installed 6 new batteries. The marina is going to wash it tomorrow and the Captain will be delivering it to me outside of MI (I have to take possession outside of MI to avoid MI sales tax) on Saturday.

I'll start the cruise home with my wife and a friend/experienced captain/teacher that's joining us for the first week, on Sunday morning. Hopefully the flooding will recede by the time we get to the closed portions of the Erie Canal 100 miles in. If not, we might be stuck in Newark, NY for awhile. At least the dockage/power/laundry are free to transient boaters on the canal walls in that town.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-16-2019), ishoot308 (05-21-2019), Puffin (05-21-2019), thinkxingu (05-16-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #29
Rich

Good like with the new boat! I know you will enjoy it!
Old 05-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #30
Puffin

Congratulations, Post lotsa pics...
Old 05-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #31
robmac

Congrats Dave,I had alot of good times at Hampton river marina with my Sundancer.Friendly people and lots of memories. Enjoy this new chapter of life ! and don't be a stranger to the forum,we can live vicariously through your adventures.Safe journey
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #32
Dave R

On the last leg of the trip home from Lake Erie. Currently anchored in Onset, MA near the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal. We plan to hit the canal early in the morning and take advantage of the 3.5 knot current afforded by the tide. After that, it's a quick trip up the coast to Hampton and we should be in our slip by Sunday afternoon. IT's been a really fun two weeks living on the boat and we love it.

The Erie Canal was really cool and I highly recommend checking it out. The little towns along it really do an incredible job of catering to every need for the canal boaters. It's truly special. We routinely had free docks, free shore power and free showers along the way.
Puffin (06-04-2019), trfour (06-02-2019), upthesaukee (06-01-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #33
Dave R

My favorite picture of the boat from the trip. This was in Fairport, NY. Cost 17 bucks to tie up there for 24 hours including 50 amp electric and nice bathrooms with great showers. The bridge tender and dock master checked in on us frequently to make sure we had everything we needed. Just a wonderful experience.
Attached Images

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (06-04-2019), brk-lnt (06-10-2019), feb (06-04-2019), Garcia (06-04-2019), Hillcountry (06-04-2019), ishoot308 (06-04-2019), Orion (08-14-2019), Puffin (06-10-2019), robmac (06-10-2019), upthesaukee (06-04-2019), winnipiseogee (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:35 AM   #34
robmac

Beautiful picture
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
Dave R (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #35
Cal Coon

Quote:
My favorite picture of the boat from the trip. This was in Fairport, NY. Cost 17 bucks to tie up there for 24 hours including 50 amp electric and nice bathrooms with great showers. The bridge tender and dock master checked in on us frequently to make sure we had everything we needed. Just a wonderful experience.
Sounds waaaaaay to good to be true... ONLY IN AMERICA!! That is an awesome picture.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
Dave R (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #36
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Sounds waaaaaay to good to be true... ONLY IN AMERICA!! That is an awesome picture.
Not just in America, Canada has beautiful towns and cities with canal walls and similar deals. This was our last boat, last year, on the wall in Ottawa. We stayed all day for free. Overnight would have been 25 bucks Canadian, which is a bargain in US currency.

We also stayed in a slip in Perth, ON (the prettiest town in ON and the last pic) overnight for $18 CAN
Attached Images

Last edited by Dave R; 06-10-2019 at 05:55 PM.
ishoot308 (06-10-2019), Orion (08-14-2019), trfour (06-11-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #37
Dave R

We've put over 200 hours on the "new" boat so far and having a great time, but miss Winnipesaukee at times and looking forward to getting back on it in a couple of weeks with some friends on their new boat.

We've made it as far north and east as Port Clyde in Maine and I gotta say the New England coast is just fantastic to cruise and teeming with life. We rarely don't see whales, dolphins, sunfish, and seals; always see a huge assortment of birds, and often see sharks in our travels. There are a surprising number of loons in salt water, was not expecting that this time of year. Based on the massive schools of fish we see (they create a huge dark shadow in the water), they likely eat well.

There is apparently no concept of "safe passage" between power boats in the salt and it's refreshing. It's great to be able to anchor overnight and we do it often. We also enjoy the plethora of available transient slips (municipal and private) in different ports. Still scratching my head about how these concepts lack support on Winnipesuakee, but I'm glad they are normal everywhere else.

We've met some really cool folks in anchorages and over the years have anchored overnight 50+ times without ever experiencing any problems with noise or bad behavior. Last week we shared an anchorage with 4 super yachts (one was 223' long) one night, and on another night, we shared one with some German folks who had recently crossed the Atlantic from Greece and were enjoying New England immensely.
LIforrelaxin (08-13-2019)