Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
joann721

Default Help With Ducks

We are having a problem with two Ducks landing in and swimming in our pool...
They are making a huge "mess" on the pool surround and we dont know
how to get rid of them. So I am asking the group of people who know
something about everything... Chlorine cant be good for them - but they dont seem to mind it- we have been chasing them off with the pool skimmer but we are not always home- and we come home to a bunch of "little messes" that are staining a brand new concrete pool deck.... HELP !!!

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
onthebay

Default Plastic owl

I know that down at Spinnaker Cove they use a plastic owl and I think a fox to scare away the geese. . Not sure if they work or not.
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Gatto Nero

What would Tony Soprano do?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero
Best response ever.

On a semi-related note -- anyone else noticing more Canada geese in the Lakes Region? This can't be good. Geese = nasty death to any lake.

Let's call Tony.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
chipj29

A dog. You need a dog to chase them away!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
joann721

Default Help with Ducks

My dog is no help we brought her out to the deck yesterday and she was afraid of them. She is a Pekingnese and afraid of her own shadow. Not a boat dog - and not a bird dog. If we had not just spent $12k on the new pool surround we may have more patience & more humor with this but the little buggers are staining the brand new concrete !

Oh well... will keep monitoring for any words of wisdom.

I dont know what Tony Soprano would do but I do know what Jack Bauer would do....

Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
offmycloud

try this:
http://www.liquidfence.com/duck-repellent.html
also, google "duck repellent" and you'll find other stuff. Is there food around your pool that is attracting them?
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
Pineedles

Default Yellow Lab

Get one of these, and your problem will be solved.
Attached Images

Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
joann721

Default soo cute

but keep him/her off the boat ramp !!!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero
Everyone who knows anything about Tony knows he would lay out feed and swim with them everyday!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
fmgate

Although I sympathize with those who experience difficulties with ducks, I feel this is a good opportunity to make note of the forum guidelines.

Please try to submit posts "that are directly related to Lakes Region topics and activities." Sure, the Lakes Region has its share of ducks, but the core point of the original post concerns how one can eradicate ducks from a backyard pool. The issue is one that people experience in countless communities across the US and really has no direct bearing on the Lakes Region.

In addition, the guidelines note that there is a preference for messages that "actually contribute something." The photo of Pineedles' dog is absolutely adorable, but was that post germane to the conversation after someone already submitted a dog comment?

The Winnipesaukee Fourm is a great resource. Please try to keep to forum guidelines so that the site continues to be edifying, friendly, and entertaining.
fmgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
joann721

Default let me understand

Because I have ducks in my pool and not a duck stuck under my dock in the lake I cant ask the question of a group of people whose opinion I value?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
offmycloud

Who the heck does this junior member think they are? I've found this a really interesting, lake-germane topic as we have problem ducks at our beach.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #14
HomeWood

"Ya I have a response" "Uh what?" - Geico Cave Man.

Why can't somebody ask a duck question on this forum regardless of whether it's a lake or pool? Try an owl or Fox first, then how about a small cheap r/c car or boat to chase them off. Is it possible that they are trying to nest there?

Only if our dogs could stay like that, great pup you got. I sware my black lab was that little for a week, then one morning he was a full 70lbs. How did that happen???
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
GTO

Default good one

FMGATE, Tell me you're a lawyer because that was just way too funny.

And whats the matter with all you people bending Forum Rules? Am I the only responsible one here?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #16
Grant

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmgate
Although I sympathize with those who experience difficulties with ducks, I feel this is a good opportunity to make note of the forum guidelines.

Please try to submit posts "that are directly related to Lakes Region topics and activities." Sure, the Lakes Region has its share of ducks, but the core point of the original post concerns how one can eradicate ducks from a backyard pool. The issue is one that people experience in countless communities across the US and really has no direct bearing on the Lakes Region.

In addition, the guidelines note that there is a preference for messages that "actually contribute something." The photo of Pineedles' dog is absolutely adorable, but was that post germane to the conversation after someone already submitted a dog comment?

The Winnipesaukee Fourm is a great resource. Please try to keep to forum guidelines so that the site continues to be edifying, friendly, and entertaining.

Thank you, Thread Police. We will make every effort to adhere.

As you were.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebay
I know that down at Spinnaker Cove they use a plastic owl and I think a fox to scare away the geese. . Not sure if they work or not.
If plastic owls and foxes doesn't work, you'll need to add signs for your visitors and guests.

Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
KonaChick

I think it's a great post..we have seagulls and ducks that often visit our raft up at the lake and i'd love to know how to get rid of them. Don't worry joann i wasn't offended...as Tony Soprano would say..."FUGGETABOUTIT"!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #19
ITD

If a duck p**ps in your pool, does it make any noise?

Thread police please move on........
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #20
codeman671

Default Police yourself...

Last time I checked Wildcat is not in the lakes region yet you posted regarding their free ski policy on birthdays... If you must preach make sure you are already practicing your beliefs...

The question was fine, we all deal with ducks. Whats the difference between them messing up your dock, boat, swm raft or pool surround?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:33 AM   #21
Mink Islander

Default Follow zee rules or zehr vill be punishment!

FMCat, you can't be serious. As my kids would say, "get over yourself". You have by now discovered that you are the only member who thinks asking questions about nuisance ducks is off limits. This is a community. We try to help each other.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #22
dpg

I agree with with Plastic preditors or try to Google the topic. If all else fails a .22 Caliber and a sharp eye will do the trick. However if you do try plastic animals be sure to move them around, if you leave them in the same position for weeks they even look fake to the average Duck!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:56 AM   #23
Blue Thunder

Quote:

I, for one, take my direction from the Webmaster of this site. If he thought someone was violating the "guidelines", he would do something about it. He has done it before and I suspect, if warranted, will do it again.

BT
Old 05-15-2007, 06:19 AM   #24
Pineedles

Default They do grow up

My humble apologies; let me make it germane. Here is Reilly, all grown up and on her tube guarding our lake front property in Center Harbor from the Ducks.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2007, 06:56 AM   #25
AC2717

Default Hmmm

Quote:

Do you not have anything better to do here or post useful information, wow this was a waste of my time to read this post to this thread. Last time I checked there were webmasters and Police that handle this stuff, if you want to, then become one
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #26
Mink Islander

Default Germaine?

How do we REALLY know that's Lake Winnipesaukee? Could be some off-topic lake in another state, or just your pool that you haven't cleaned in years because of your duck problem. I demand proof!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #27
Pineedles

Default Mink Islander

Well, if you can't tell this is Lake Winnipesaukee from the beautiful grey blue water with the shimmering sunlight reflected off it, then I guess you are not a true WInnipesaukeer!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 AM   #28
SIKSUKR

If your problem with the ducks is in the lakes region,your question is fine.Who is this wanabee webmaster?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #29
joann721

Default Thanks guys !!

I love the picture of the pup on the raft... I hate to admit it, but after two more encounters with our visitors yesterday - & one this morning we have to do something..& I dont wont to hurt them I just want them to go away and they are so bold that I dont know if a $40 owl windsock on a pole is going to do anything.... what an ugly mess they make... When I left for work they were happily lounging in the pool- I had chased them out 10 minutes prior... I know that Tony Soprano embraces his ducks - but Jack Bauer would send them to meet the big duck in the heaven !! - I like Jack !!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #30
feb

Default Go Fishing

I've seen many pools, particularly in Florida, that string fishing line criss cross about 10' above the pool. I believe that is to stop birds from swooping down and drinking/bathing. I don't know if it would stop a large bird such as a duck though.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #31
snowbird

Lightbulb A duck repellant that worked for us

Our island beach is about 80' wide. We have been troubled by ducks using our beach. Last season it was suggested we try fishing line strung about 6-12" above the sand at water's edge. IT WORKED! Frustrated ducks just swam on by. Leaving a human tripping hazard to be avoided.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #32
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We have had duck problems for years......we don't want to harm them but can't tolerate the droppings because of kids and "duck itch".We tried several things,including decoys,but nothing worked........until I tried the patented Samiam Duck-Be-Gone system.
I went to the fireworks store and bought several kinds of roman candles ....you can buy them without a report if you prefer and they work just as well.I hold it in my hand with a leather work glove on and point it right at the ducks.It scares the you know what out of them and they rarely return.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #33
Gatto Nero

An airsoft gun would do the trick. They sting a bit but it wouldn't kill or maim the little buggers. After a shot or two in the butt any beast with a sense of well being they would stay away. I think Tony might approve as well.

http://www.airsplat.com/Categories/AP.htm
Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #34
BBS

Buy one of those plastic pool alligators and leave it in the water. The owner's of a small pond near us used that ploy to keep Canada geese out of the water - and it worked!
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #35
WINDinmySOCKIES

Pineedles...After forensic analysis of the photo, I now believe this is actually
lake Winnipesaukee. However......is this REALLY your dog? and I thought this was supposed to be about ducks? Where 's the duck pictures?!
WINDinmySOCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #36
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
My humble apologies; let me make it germane. Here is Reilly, all grown up and on her tube guarding our lake front property in Center Harbor from the Ducks.
Hey now, 'needles! We have a Reilly, too. Same color, different breed (golden retriever). In fact, we're adding another to the menagerie (4 kids, two frogs, a fish, a golden, a rat, a mouse...) in a few weeks.

Here he is enjoying a boat ride on the Lake:

Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #37
joann721

Default I love it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
We have had duck problems for years......we don't want to harm them but can't tolerate the droppings because of kids and "duck itch".We tried several things,including decoys,but nothing worked........until I tried the patented Samiam Duck-Be-Gone system.
I went to the fireworks store and bought several kinds of roman candles ....you can buy them without a report if you prefer and they work just as well.I hold it in my hand with a leather work glove on and point it right at the ducks.It scares the you know what out of them and they rarely return.

I think we have a "keeper"...

Old 05-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #38
Weirs guy

OK, thats a little freaky pineneedles and grant, we have a boy yellow lab named Reilly. Its a small world afterall... -Sorry, I forgot to check if singing is allowed on the forums, my bad-

joann721, maybe just a large tarp/pool cover until they move on? We live near several rentals and each summer the flat landers like to feed the cute little duckies. That is until we send our Reilly in after them (the ducks, not the renters. Weirs Gal forbids that). Maybe you can borrow one of the 3 Reilly's kicking around! Just remember if your going to take the Jack approach that most likely one of the ducks will show back up next season.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #39
Pineedles

Default Windinmysockies & Grant

Wind, Really, its Reilly, my sometimes smilie, duck chasing dog.
No ducks in pic? Good Girl Reilly.

Grant, WHAT A BEAUTY! I had two Goldens before my Reilly. Lex the first golden loved chasing ducks. Sam, Golden # 2 however didn't chase ducks he prefered boats, like the mount. He has the dubious distinction of having the Captain blow his horn at him.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #40
Weirs guy

Quote:
Sam, Golden # 2 however didn't chase ducks he prefered boats, like the mount. He has the dubious distinction of having the Captain blow his horn at him.
Good for him!

Now?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #41
Grant

Quote:
Wind, Really, its Reilly, my sometimes smilie, duck chasing dog.
No ducks in pic? Good Girl Reilly.

Grant, WHAT A BEAUTY! I had two Goldens before my Reilly. Lex the first golden loved chasing ducks. Sam, Golden # 2 however didn't chase ducks he prefered boats, like the mount. He has the dubious distinction of having the Captain blow his horn at him.
Reilly and pal Chloe wishing they could be just a little closer to a passing family of mergansers...

Old 05-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #42
codeman671

Default Abundance of Reilly/Riley's ???

This is odd indeed, we have two goldens, one of ours is named Riley...He loves to chase ducks but not as much as our other golden Cody does. The biggest duck hater though is our chesapeake bay retriever Jake. He will chase them as far as they swim, their only hope for escape is flight.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #43
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
This is odd indeed, we have two goldens, one of ours is named Riley...He loves to chase ducks but not as much as our other golden Cody does. The biggest duck hater though is our chesapeake bay retriever Jake. He will chase them as far as they swim, their only hope for escape is flight.
Okay...my family's old golden was a Cody, too. I am looking at a photo of him with my youngest son, sitting on the dock on the Lake. It's here in my office. Reilly, Cody... Our new girl, who was born April 16, will be Lucy... Photos of her first Lake adventure will be coming in July.

Small world.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #44
nj2nh

Default Dog names

Our first Golden was also a Lucy. She loved the lake and would jump in at every opportunity. Now we have Molly - another Golden. She would be useless with the ducks as she won't go near the water. Weird dog, that one is. Hates the water - loves the vacuum cleaner. Go figure.

Hope the forum police doesn't come after me for that. I did mention the lake, though.

Jersey Girl
(should I change my name to be okay for the forum?)
Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #45
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Okay...my family's old golden was a Cody, too. I am looking at a photo of him with my youngest son, sitting on the dock on the Lake. It's here in my office. Reilly, Cody... Our new girl, who was born April 16, will be Lucy... Photos of her first Lake adventure will be coming in July.

Small world.
No Lucy, but we have a Bulldog named Princess that absolutely loves to swim (funniest thing you have ever seen...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
Now we have Molly
We had a chessie named Molly...Great dog, another water freak.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #46
mcdude

Thanked 1,043 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
(should I change my name to be okay for the forum?)
Jersey Girl: You're already with us!

This guy showed up one year. Came back every day about the same time, hung out for a while. and then, just as quickly, he was gone. Dock Duck. (sung to the tune of Disco Duck....don't ask)

...and the dog could've cared less! "Hooch....Go get the duck!!!"....and he would run off looking for his tennis ball. Go figure?

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #47
Bear Islander

The way to keep birds away from something is to use fishing line strung so they can't fly in. If the pool fence is high enough you can attach the line to that. Putting the line just over the pool water may not work, they can land next to the pool and then plop in between the lines.

You can also sit by the pool all day and hit them with a garden hose when they arrive. Soon they will find another home.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #48
ApS

Lightbulb "Duckpoop beige" ?

A problem with the plastic owls is that they don't move around and birds eventually become accustomed to it.

This plastic alligator head will keep moving around a pool while the filter is on. I can't vouch for it, but it may be worth the $70 to try it.

Or you can paint your entire pool deck the "right" color.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #49
Weirs guy

My daughters tee ball team has a Reilly. We tend to bring our Reilly to all games. One yell out of "Reilly, get the ball!" and hilarity ensues.

Now?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #50
gtxrider

Default Geese

Ducks do make a mess but not as bad as Geese! Where I work a firm call Goose Busters would release a border collie that loved to herd the geese.
Attached Images

gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #51
Pineedles

Default I love this thread!

Wonderful pictures of dogs!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #52
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Lightbulb DuckScare - Like a Scare Crow for Dux

I saw this on the MVYC beach a few seasons ago. I was told it was to help with duck and goose control. I'm not sure how well it worked and I did not see this last summer.

I was thinking of taking my two pet ducks down to the Alton Boat Ramp for a romp but now that dogs can go there I dunno....
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #53
MJM

Our Golden also loves to chase the ducks, and they in turn love to torment her! They stay just out of her reach, but stay close enough to keep her interest. It's a riot to watch: she charges out there, swimming as fast as she can after them...they swim away, staying safe...she gives up and turns around to head to shore...the ducks turn and follow her...she realizes it, turns back to the chase....over and over again...!!

(P.S. I gotta believe the post by fmgate was tongue-in-cheek. No one could have posted that seriously.)
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #54
joann721

Default I Love This !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second

A problem with the plastic owls is that they don't move around and birds eventually become accustomed to it.

This plastic alligator head will keep moving around a pool while the filter is on. I can't vouch for it, but it may be worth the $70 to try it.

Or you can paint your entire pool deck the "right" color.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, this is the solution I was looking for. I just googled it and found one for $65 with free shipping, life is good. As attractive as shooting the little poopers with a roman candle is - that has all the potential of being a funniest home video moment.

This makes so much common sense. It is also gonna scare the bajeezus out of the Pekingese... Thank you everyone for the suggestions and the laughs.. see you on the lake !!!

Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #55
Bear Islander

Please come back and tell us if this works, I may need one. If it doesn't keep them away at least it will give them a raft to play on.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #56
joann721

Nice... a $65 duck raft... hadnt thought of that...

Bring on the roman candles !!!

I will keep you posted !!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #57
joann721

Default These are my babies...

Name:  kenny & Hollie hammock.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  79.3 KB

Doing what they do best...

Old 05-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #58
onthebay

Default How many Alligators are in NH ?

I wonder how many NH ducks have ever seen a gator in order to be afraid of one?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #59
joann721

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebay
I wonder how many NH ducks have ever seen a gator in order to be afraid of one?
Dont even start with that ! It is instinct - right ?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #60
TomC

Default the ducks will recognize the non-resident sticker..

that NH will make the 'gator buy...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #61
Weirs guy

Does the gator need to be registered? Maybe it would keep summer renters out of the lake too?

Now?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #62
AC2717

Default be careful now

What happend if the gator is from out of state? Will he have to take a safety course for the pool?

AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #63
onthebay

Default Doesn't seem to bother them

Maybe you out to rethink this..
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #64
joann721

UGH !!

you guys are killing me...

Old 05-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #65
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Then what

Well to keep the Canada geese away I know they grounds crew had to move the fake coyotes every few days. Maybe you'll need to put a small electric RC boat under the snout to get the 'gator to move. If that doesn't work then mebbe you'll need to put some blinking LEDs in the eyes ... yah ... some blinking LEDS and then ... then a small speaker that makes scary sounds. When that doesn't work call me and I'll help you put a Roman Candle in the mouth w/a remote control igniter. Might not scare away the ducks but it'll sure be a hit come July 4'th.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #66
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
Does the gator need to be registered? Maybe it would keep summer renters out of the lake too?
The gator needs to be mindful of safe passage laws and watch for those new speed zones...Hopefully he won't throw a large wake either!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #67
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default I have found the problem !

It may be that the Ducks were actually invited!

Name:  kenny & Hollie hammock2.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  79.8 KB
Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #68
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
Well to keep the Canada geese away I know they grounds crew had to move the fake coyotes every few days. Maybe you'll need to put a small electric RC boat under the snout to get the 'gator to move. If that doesn't work then mebbe you'll need to put some blinking LEDs in the eyes ... yah ... some blinking LEDS and then ... then a small speaker that makes scary sounds. When that doesn't work call me and I'll help you put a Roman Candle in the mouth w/a remote control igniter. Might not scare away the ducks but it'll sure be a hit come July 4'th.

OK, I've got an idea. Lets make them, put the www.winnipesaukee.com stickers on the sides and sell them right here on the website!

Now?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #69
Sunbeam lodge

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
Hey now, 'needles! We have a Reilly, too. Same color, different breed (golden retriever). In fact, we're adding another to the menagerie (4 kids, two frogs, a fish, a golden, a rat, a mouse...) in a few weeks.

Here he is enjoying a boat ride on the Lake:

It looks like the dog is the best bet. I have trained My dog Hanna to sit at the window and when she growls I let her out and she chases the ducks off the beach. No more duck itch. Works great and she gets the exercise.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #70
MJM

We'd all better be careful...someone from PETA might take offense, citing undue stress on the ducks, and unfair labor practices for the dogs....
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #71
onthebay

Default What about the poor alligators?

Don't forget them.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #72
Knot Droolin'

Default Peta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM
We'd all better be careful...someone from PETA might take offense, citing undue stress on the ducks, and unfair labor practices for the dogs....
Why would People Eating Tasty Animals take offense?
Knot Droolin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #73
Mee-n-Mac

Wink I love animals and ...

I love animals. Who wouldn't ? They're delicious !!

now as to the best way to stun a snail darter .....
Old 05-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #74
joann721

Default update

The alligator has not arrived as of yet... I expect it today or tomorrow.

Kenny did find, at Home Depot, an owl wind windsock that is pretty lame... I wouldnt believe it was real if I was a duck.. but as of this morning all of the song birds no longer live in the tree next to the pool. They ran (flew) for the hills, so obviously they believe it is ominous. We have seen the ducks once in the past few days. They did not stay for more than a few moments, they landed, went for a quick swim, and looked around and flew away. So maybe it is working. We moved it on Sunday just to keep them guessing.

I cant explain but I have this picture in my head of them sitting on the fence laughing at us.

But I think once we put the alligator in the water floating around that will also help...

Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #75
joann721

Default update

The alligator has not arrived as of yet... I expect it today or tomorrow.

Kenny did find, at Home Depot, an owl wind windsock that is pretty lame... I wouldnt believe it was real if I was a duck.. but as of this morning all of the song birds no longer live in the tree next to the pool. They ran (flew) for the hills, so obviously they believe it is ominous. We have seen the ducks once in the past few days. They did not stay for more than a few moments, they landed, went for a quick swim, and looked around and flew away. So maybe it is working. We moved it on Sunday just to keep them guessing.

I cant explain why but I have this picture in my head of them sitting on the fence laughing at us.

But I think once we put the alligator in the water floating around that will also help...

Old 05-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #76
rander7823

Default You can hire this guy

I have heard he has had some luck getting rid of golfers......I mean gophers
Attached Images

rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #77
GTO

Default actually....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823
I have heard he has had some luck getting rid of golfers......I mean gophers
Actually, I think he called them "varments" Which I'm pretty sure ducks fall under that category.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #78
gtxrider

Default Its a Cinderella Story!

I know of some people who had Seagull trouble and they cured it by shooting one and nailing it to post on the dock. Not legal but it worked (so I am told).

Not to offend anyone but they could have been related to Tony S. Bada bing bada BOOM
Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #79
LSBA Joker

Default ducks

gtx, fyi, strap popsicle stix onto the legs of the flying rat to keep it upright on the post. one stick in it's beak will keep the neck and head at a proper angle.
should last about 6-8 weeks before it gets a bit weathered looking.
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #80
nj2nh

Default More dog tales

A few years ago, some friends of ours from here in Joisey came up to NH with us for a week. Their dog, Nitanny (now THERE'S a name!) used to jump into the water to chase the ducks. She was the stupidest dog I have ever known and I've known some stupid dogs. Maybe it was her name. She was a Golden so her lack of brains always mystified me.

Anyway, the ducks, being smarter than this dog, started swimming out further and further in an effort not only to escape the dumb beast but to drown her. They would have succeeded, too, if her owners hadn't managed to drag the canoe out of the basement and paddle out to rescue her. She was halfway across Alton Bay near Echo Point and quite exhausted, but too dumb to think she should turn back.

And since everyone is posting their cute doggies, here is my Molly. She is kind of goofy, but just as smart as our beloved Lucy who lived to be over 15!

Jersey Girl
(30 days to NH and counting)
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #81
Pineedles

Default You GO Jersey Girl

Keep those cute dog pictures comin! But remember all, keep it Germane. You must mention duck chasing.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #82
John A. Birdsall

Default Duck problem- duck cure

We used to have a lot of ducks at the cottage, we asked what happened to them during the winter, now this could cure your duck problems and be a nice feast as well.

He used a wifle and filled his freezer after everyone went home.

Killed two problems with one shot.

They say not to feed the ducks, but I don't recall them saying they can't feed you.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #83
EllyPoinster

A wifle, you say. Hmmm. Was his name Elmer? Did he also hunt wabbits?
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:51 AM   #84
SIKSUKR

So he filled his freezer with whiffle balls?Did he throw the frozen balls at the ducks?Huh?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #85
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Sssshh

Ssshhh. Be wery, wery quiet. He's hunting dwucks. We don't want WETA to hear awout this. Sssshh.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:21 AM   #86
gtxrider

Default no!

NO, it's wabbit season. No, its duck season....shoot!

I hate them varmits! Too much TV as a kid.

Has the gator head arrived yet?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #87
joann721

Default Gator

I checked ups this morning and it is on the truck for delivery. The windsock didnt work !!

Name:  pool13.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  82.7 KB

Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #88
Pineedles

Default At Last! The Culprit

Is that a merganser?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #89
joann721

Default merganser ?

Quote:
Is that a merganser?
I have called this dirty, messy, feathered friend, and his/her mate, many things in the past two weeks, but merganse, has not been one of them..!!!

Let me guess, my dirty butt duck is endangered and protected by some government program !!

that alligator better work or I am getting the roman candles...

Old 05-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #90
WeirsGuard

Default Duck Problem

Joann,

Maybe a little late with duck advice but here goes. We had the same problem with a pair of ducks during late spring / early summer last year. Short of killing or catching and removing them not much seemed to work. Seems momma duck was nesting and dad was hanging around guarding his family. A short time later a dozen chicks were delivered. They learned to swim in our pool. After a few weeks, when the chicks were old enough, momma packed up her kids and walked away to find a more "natural" environmant. Unless there is a ready food supply and good shelter, the ducks will probably move away on their own. As the summer approaches and you begin using the pool more often, all the activity will be non-conducive to them hanging around. I found a good strong spray from the garden hose cleaned up our cement pool surround without much trouble. The poop in the pool was handled by the chemicals and filter. The Fish and Game folks said the pool chemicals will also easliy take care of any potential "Duck Itch", especially the low volume produced by a couple of ducks. Bottom line: they were a pain in *** for a few weeks, but live and let live seemed to work.
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #91
Weirs guy

Quote:
Is that a merganser?

Looks more like a "dinner".

Now?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #92
Pineedles

Default Dinner

You guys kill me!. Joanne, sorry to alarm. Not a merganser, merely female mallard. Mallards would be great for dinner but Mergansers eat fish and taste awful.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #93
Kevin C

Thumbs up Help with ducks / Solution!

I was having the same issue with a couple of ducks taking up residence over the last couple of weeks in our pool. Although the ducks are cute, their "residue" is staining the bottom of the pool not to mention the danger of duck itch. Someone suggested an inflatable alligator but I couldn't find one. In Namco the other day I saw inflatable dolphins that stand ,as they are weighted in the tail by sand, as high as 41". I bought 3 "Mr. Flippys" that are brightly colored, and float around the pool as well as bob and weave with the wind......enough to scare them away. I've been duck free for 2 days now. So far so good! $4.99 on sale (any size) presently at Namco. Good luck!!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote