Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #1
GWC...

Exclamation Take pictures of the Weirs; because...

the landscape will soon be changing...
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
BBS

Unhappy Akwa-rd

Ugh!
While I was in school, I worked nights at the front desk of the old Brickyard Mountain Inn at that location - and also at the Manor Restaurant that was part of the Inn. Who would have thought that it would turn into a McMansion park?
Are then intentionally misspelling Aqua, by the way? How kute.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
Cal

Some call it progress
Old 09-17-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Scott

It's already changed. They've gashed the front of the hill, built a hideous water tower that sticks up well above the tree line, I can see huge piles of dirt and there is a crane sticking off the top. I have a beautiful view of the crimes against nature taking place up there.

Too bad the Lakes Region Conservation Trust couldn't have snatched up that huge piece of land. It could have very easily been turned into a stunning park/picnic area.

Now, I hope the hill sinks into the core of the earth.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:59 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Cool ....just another gated community

When I drive by South Down Shores or Grouse Point, I hardly notice them and won't this just be a similar set-up. Akwa creates jobs, jobs, and more jobs, and increases the property tax base for Laconia, a property poor, receiver town. Supposedly, all these big money second homes with their big lake views will not include any schoolable kiddies. At least that's the hope. Time will tell, it always does.

O, where o where will be The Weirs, in twenty years?
What will happen to those wonderfull nostalgiac-acky-wacky, coin operated, arcade games and those yummy $2.25 pizza slices? Ahem!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
Navman

Default Hideous water tower??

SCOTT, That hideous water tower sticking above the tree line will take the shape of a light house very soon. They could have just left it as is. And would have been alot less expensive. In my opinion this is a first class operation and will be a community that Laconia will be proud of. They are also putting cell phone antennas inside the top of the lighthouse so they will not be seen. Give them some credit.
Navman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navman
SCOTT, That hideous water tower sticking above the tree line will take the shape of a light house very soon. They could have just left it as is. And would have been alot less expensive. In my opinion this is a first class operation and will be a community that Laconia will be proud of. They are also putting cell phone antennas inside the top of the lighthouse so they will not be seen. Give them some credit.
I'm aware and they can have some credit for trying. But it's still going to become another bright white blob on the hillsides, and a lighthouse will look as equally out of place on the hillside as a million dollar house.

These hillside developments should be required to minimize their appearance from elsewhere. Think of Cedar Lodge...when cruising into Weirs bay you can hardly pick it out until you're up real close since its color blends in quite well.

Pretty lighthouse or not, its apparently going to be next to the 10,000sq foot monstrosity of a clubhouse right on the summit.

It'll be great. So pretty.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:28 AM   #8
dpg

Finally...Just what the Weirs needs, maybe it'll clean up some of the riff-raff.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 06:54 AM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default 73 more boats

more car traffic on Rt. 3......but better than a condo development?
click for articles from Concord Monitor
and another click for other article

Bike Week "generates an image that has dissuaded significant private investment in the area" ?????
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:55 AM   #10
Just Sold

Default Progress

We cannot stop progress and progress is good for the economy. Progress is the right of a land owner to develop his/her land as they see fit within the confines of local and state regulations and laws.

Based on the limited info that I have read here and elsewhere I can see that this development will be good for Laconia's economy and that is needed.

I hope the impact on the lake is not as severe as I suspicion it may be especially in the Weirs area with too many boats in one area for many purposes. With big $$ homes can come big $$ boats and they can crowd out the average boater. That is not to say they do not have as much right to enjoy the lake as we all do.

Another thing that I hope does not happen is the demise of the Weirs Blvd as we know it today. The strip and pier are a part of the whole lake and I would hate to see progress edge it out of existence as has happened in other resort communities mainly along our east coast. Although I am not a biker I would hate to see developement crowd out that event (Bike Week) too.

With progess there is a price to pay so we will have to wait and see what happens. If you live in Laconia be a part of the process and help the city grow in the right way.

Last edited by Just Sold; 09-20-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:10 AM   #11
Glendale Girl

Wink

How about making the weirs a condo community..put a hi rise out on the pier..take out all the arcades and put in more condos..we need to leave the pizza stand for take out..hotel where the paradise stands..hmm what else can be done??? ...j/k
Glendale Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:08 PM   #12
GWC...

Wink Both sides from the same person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
I can tell you from a first hand observation, I took the wrong road last week and ended up at the back of the house, the lawn is an instant one of cut sod.

They have left an area between the large lawn and the lake planted with perennials that will need some sort of fertilizer with the exception of a small area with grass in front of the main house based on the photo from Flyguy.

I hope that nothing ends up leaching into the lake from any of the lawns or plantings. The place is still not completed so more lawn and ground cover will be comming I am sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
We cannot stop progress and progress is good for the economy. Progress is the right of a land owner to develop his/her land as they see fit within the confines of local and state regulations and laws.

Based on the limited info that I have read here and elsewhere I can see that this development will be good for Laconia's economy and that is needed.
Both sides from the same person...
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Cool ....the sun also sets on The Weirs

Just like Grouse Point, the location of Akwa Soliel means it will not get too much sun in the late afternoon or so. Situated on slope that faces east will make it a spot that gets lots of morning sun but not too much of that setting sun. I always notice how the sloping property at Grouse Point & Governor's Island and now probably Akwa Soliel which also faces to the east are in the shade in the late afternoon. Maybe that's a reason why it was never developed as it makes the location a little less desirable. Who wants to buy a non-sunny, $595000., second home? After all, sun is like money, can never get enuf!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:54 AM   #14
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Wish We Could Go Back To The Past For A Visit!

Here is a great story from Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society. The Irwin family had much more to do with the lake the marina.

It was the biggest drawing card in the history of the Weirs, the most popular attraction ever built on Lake Winnipesaukee and the liveliest spot in the state for many decades, a place where on virtually any summer night people could listen to and dance to the best music in America, performed by the greatest musicians of a Golden Age of great live music and entertainment.
It was a place where magical memories were created, where romances bloomed, friendships flourished and the pursuit of happiness, American style, was presided over by the most dynamic and innovative personality ever to hit the Lakes Region.
But the memories that were created there in all those years are still as vibrant as ever in the memories of thousands of people who came to the Winnipesaukee Gardens and heard the great music and stepped out onto the dance floor. Unforgettable. That’s the Gardens.
Sigh.

LWHS Full story of Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:44 AM   #15
DoftheMattysort

Default Time for some upgrading

The Weirs area is in need of some serious updating, it is beginning to look run down and delapitated.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #16
Mr Port Jefferson

Default Hold on to your hats there is more coming...

Look at todays (9/22/04) Citizen. There are plans for more housing at the Weirs. The one question that needs to be answered is what to do with all the additional traffic?
Mr Port Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #17
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Citizen Story On More Housing For The Weirs

Citzen article - More housing in the works for The Weirs
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #18
mcdude

Default More on Jim Irwin

A Man and His Achievements

See you this week-end at the Wolfeboro Antique and Classic Car and Boat Show. Not to be missed!
9:00 am - 4:00 pm at the Public Docks and Parking Area in downtown Wolfeboro, NH. Sponsored by the New England Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society, this event is a wonderful blending of antique wooden boats and pre-1970 automobiles. Picturesque Wolfeboro, situated on Lake Winnipesaukee, is the perfect background to a fun filled day of nostalgia, fall foliage, music, shops and restaurants.
Bob Morrissey - rmorri1@corus.jnj.com
Joe Williams - newhampshire1998@aol.com
www.necacbs.org
Old 09-29-2004, 07:33 AM   #19
Island Time

Default Old Brickyard Mountain

This post brings up memories of skiing on what then seemed to be a huge mountain. My elementary school would go there for lessons every friday afternoon. I was maybe 8 at the time and it just seemed huge. I laugh every time I go by now. How could that small hill ever thought they could have made it as a ski mountain? anyone else ever ski there?
Island Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:16 PM   #20
mcdude

Default Vertical Drop of 420 Feet ! ! !

For more information on the old Brickyard Mountain click here

view looking down the old slope

Before it was known as the Brickyard, it was called the Shangri-La according to this NELSAP site. I have several postcards of the Shangri-La and always wondered where it was. Another mystery solved.

Last edited by mcdude; 09-29-2004 at 05:02 PM.