Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2004, 08:30 AM   #1
Chris Exley

Default Recommendations needed for many items

Hi all,

We are looking at doing some long needed maintenance at our cottage.
Does anyone have recommendations for the following (If you have had the work done, could you post an approximate $ value of what it might cost):

New Septic System
New Deep well
Capping Chimney

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
madrasahs

Not much to go on in your post, but here's some estimates I got a couple of years ago:

A new septic system could run you over $10,000. (It used to be much more). You could have your present one repaired -- that's allowed -- but it doesn't make sense to go through all that noise and effort and not gain one of those modern ones mandated since um... 1966? Check with the town.

I was quoted $8,000 for a deep well, but my friends (less than a mile away from Mirror Lake) are reporting extremely high arsenic levels in their deep wells. (Consider drawing from the lake with post-treatment or distilling -- if you're lakefront on Mirror Lake).

Capping the chimney -- depending on how you want it done -- shouldn't cost $300. The trick is to find somebody to do the work. To make it worth their while, they'll recommend much more work be done. (The "You need a whole new chimney" argument).

Good luck with your upgrades.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote