Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default Lack of reservations

As locals, how many or you are frustrated that you canít plan a dinner out on the lake? I understand that many tourists donít show up for reservations, but locals do. Iíve been frustrated more than a few times this summer.
It seems we get the short end of the stick during vacation season, but we are the ones the restaurants depend on early and late in the season and in the off-season.

Surely they can come up with something, even a deposit based reservation system? (O restaurant does this. It works.)
For those of us that plan, It is frustrating to walk to seven different restaurants and find out that each of them has a two hour wait. This is 100% avoidable with simple scheduling tools. Let those who donít plan wait for a table..

Iíve just about given up on Wolfetrap and others. For the few that do accept reservations: Thank you! Youíll get my business year round.
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 2,234
Thanks: 399
Thanked 1,682 Times in 676 Posts
Default

We have not had that problem by planning ahead.

We called the Lions Den on Wednesday and got a 6 PM Friday reservation for four.

Four of us went to Ellacoya Tavern on Monday about 6:30 PM and we got seated within about 20 minutes, no reservation.

I know Patrick's is busy on concert nights so we avoid it then.

We order pizza to go from Giuseppi's quite often and bring it to the boat to eat. The longest time we have been quoted this summer from order to pickup was 45 minutes.

As people who live on the lake during the summer we are fortunate to be able to go out to dinner during the week when restaurants are less busy. I don't see the scheduling as that bad if you pick and choose when and where you would like to go.

I am more concerned about waiting for a dock when we go out by boat than getting into a restaurant.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 939 Times in 589 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
As locals, how many or you are frustrated that you can’t plan a dinner out on the lake? I understand that many tourists don’t show up for reservations, but locals do. I’ve been frustrated more than a few times this summer.
It seems we get the short end of the stick during vacation season, but we are the ones the restaurants depend on early and late in the season and in the off-season.

Surely they can come up with something, even a deposit based reservation system? (O restaurant does this. It works.)
For those of us that plan, It is frustrating to walk to seven different restaurants and find out that each of them has a two hour wait. This is 100% avoidable with simple scheduling tools. Let those who don’t plan wait for a table..

I’ve just about given up on Wolfetrap and others. For the few that do accept reservations: Thank you! You’ll get my business year round.
It was crazy busy this weekend and they are short on help so someone is going to be disappointed with the outcome.
I was by myself last night just looking for a seat at a bar. I went to 5 places and there were no seats available. I finally went back to the first place, The Mug, and waited for someone to leave. It was worth the wait!
Quite a few places closed for the Labor Day weekend due to lack of help and over worked regular staff.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,154
Thanks: 137
Thanked 400 Times in 259 Posts
Default Lack of reservations

Labor Day is here. So locals can soon venture out once again


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by WinnisquamZ; 09-06-2021 at 12:35 PM.
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-06-2021), subaruliving (09-08-2021), TheTimeTraveler (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 976
Thanks: 233
Thanked 360 Times in 223 Posts
Default Lack of reservations

For what it's worth, the guiding principle of a restaurant is to fill the seats, and, if they can fill their seats from walk-ins, and avoid the hassles of reservations and potential no-shows, particularly in the summer, then I can't fault them for going that route. I have a feeling that if a customer needed a reservation for a specific party (anniversary, birthday, etc), and called and spoke with the manager, the restaurant would accommodate the patron.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,616
Thanks: 1,083
Thanked 1,482 Times in 891 Posts
Default

Though we've had a couple issues throughout the summer, this weekend was absolutely an anomaly given how many places were closed for the holiday. JoJo's was out of meatballs yesterday afternoon, Greene's Market was a two-hour wait last night, Lee Wah was over an hour...

We eat at off-hours and just accept that it's a reflection of the current system. I mean, in some casesólike Tuckaway Tavernóit's always that way, so no biggie for us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #7
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
For what it's worth, the guiding principle of a restaurant is to fill the seats, and, if they can fill their seats from walk-ins, and avoid the hassles of reservations and potential no-shows, particularly in the summer, then I can't fault them for going that route. I have a feeling that if a customer needed a reservation for a specific party (anniversary, birthday, etc), and called and spoke with the manager, the restaurant would accommodate the patron.
I tried on numerous occasions to make a reservation well in advance and they won’t hear it. “Walk in only”.
Locals support the economy here all year, so I’ll spend where I feel wanted.
If you only want my business when it’s easy for you (slow), I’ll grant it to someone else who tries to accommodate me during the more difficult time of the year.

I ate at Wolfetrap 25+ times last year.
Zero times this year. I’m over the crapshoot.

O’s does reservations. So does Dockside and Ellacoya.
If the others want any of my business at all, they’ll come up with a way that locals can reserve in season.

This isn’t tough to do in 2021 and there are apps that manage it.
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
We have not had that problem by planning ahead.

We called the Lions Den on Wednesday and got a 6 PM Friday reservation for four.

Four of us went to Ellacoya Tavern on Monday about 6:30 PM and we got seated within about 20 minutes, no reservation.

I know Patrick's is busy on concert nights so we avoid it then.

We order pizza to go from Giuseppi's quite often and bring it to the boat to eat. The longest time we have been quoted this summer from order to pickup was 45 minutes.

As people who live on the lake during the summer we are fortunate to be able to go out to dinner during the week when restaurants are less busy. I don't see the scheduling as that bad if you pick and choose when and where you would like to go.

I am more concerned about waiting for a dock when we go out by boat than getting into a restaurant.
I do quite a bit of weekday boating and I still run into issues at dinner.
Oddly, I have never waited more than 10 minutes for a dock, even on weekends.
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #9
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 939 Times in 589 Posts
Thumbs up

We have guests next weekend so we needed reservations for 8 Saturday night, O's came thru! A few other places we called had nothing available.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #10
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
We have guests next weekend so we needed reservations for 8 Saturday night, O's came thru! A few other places we called had nothing available.
Yep, my year round dollars will go to places that care to organize.
Asking to plan a dinner ahead is not asking too much!
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #11
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 588
Thanked 1,137 Times in 778 Posts
Default

Wolf trap did try reservations this summer thinking it would help. But if the tables weren't ready the people got upset so they decided it wasn't worth it. I am sure it wasn't everybody but enough so the reservation trial didn't last long.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:26 PM   #12
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Wolf trap did try reservations this summer thinking it would help. But if the tables weren't ready the people got upset so they decided it wasn't worth it. I am sure it wasn't everybody but enough so the reservation trial didn't last long.
It was a poor effort.
You had to call right at 10 the same day, hang up, then dial again until you catch someone, which rarely happened.

It’s 2021: Use an app, a reservation service or at least let people call and schedule days in advance.

Example: I was in Portland for the weekend. Reservations were made the same day we booked the hotel, which was more than a week in advance. We went. We ate. We spent. We’ll return!
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #13
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,003
Thanks: 871
Thanked 1,118 Times in 701 Posts
Default

1. Turnover is the name of the game. If you call for a group of 4, maybe 6, they can probably do three seatings in an evening., Groups of 8 or more tend to dawdle, not be ready to order promptly, etc.
2. Large groups that are all "chip in," in my experience, tend to tip less

So when they ask "How many?" that may result in a "we're full until 8:30" answer more than if you're a party of four.
When it's hard to find help anyway, taking reservations with a pencil may require an extra staffer.

I hope we'll see:
1. Online reservations
2. with a deposit
3. Reservations with a time limit, at least for the first two seatings.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 08:37 PM   #14
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,553
Thanks: 831
Thanked 667 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
It was a poor effort.
You had to call right at 10 the same day, hang up, then dial again until you catch someone, which rarely happened.

Itís 2021: Use an app, a reservation service or at least let people call and schedule days in advance.

Example: I was in Portland for the weekend. Reservations were made the same day we booked the hotel, which was more than a week in advance. We went. We ate. We spent. Weíll return!
Time out--you just posted about "entitled noobs" and dock space (it was a great post!)

But now you are semi-boycotting places in the off season that will not let you make a reservation because (for whatever reason) it does not fit their business model. Isn't this just a tad entitled?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
KTO (09-20-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 09:33 PM   #15
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Time out--you just posted about "entitled noobs" and dock space (it was a great post!)

But now you are semi-boycotting places in the off season that will not let you make a reservation because (for whatever reason) it does not fit their business model. Isn't this just a tad entitled?
Nope. It's just called planning. It’s normal practice at restaurants the world over.
If anything, it's entitling the restaurant to future business by making reservations.

Also, I didn’t say anything about regulation or rule of law.
I simply said I would spend my money elsewhere..

Nobody is trying to force the restaurants to start reservations, but people are trying to force others from their docks and moorings. This is wrong.
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:51 AM   #16
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 588
Thanked 1,137 Times in 778 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Time out--you just posted about "entitled noobs" and dock space (it was a great post!)

But now you are semi-boycotting places in the off season that will not let you make a reservation because (for whatever reason) it does not fit their business model. Isn't this just a tad entitled?
That's how he came across to me too.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
KTO (09-20-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 07:24 AM   #17
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That's how he came across to me too.

Then youíre not understanding the difference.
I am asking the restaurants to take reservations and noting which ones I do support.

Do you also choose which businesses you support?
Does this make you entitled? No.

Others are trying to force change.
Iím making a request, understanding that the restaurants have free will.

Iím sure you can understand the difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #18
BoatHouse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 96
Thanks: 189
Thanked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post

I ate at Wolfetrap 25+ times last year.
Zero times this year. Iím over the crapshoot.
I ate at the Wolfetrap 4 or 5 times this year. Weekends and weekdays. Waited 30-40 mins. It was worth the wait. We live in Wolfeboro so a couple of times I went down and put my name in before the rest of the group came. Had a drink sitting by the docks while we waited.

Earlier in the year, they would take a limited number of reservations, but that stopped at some point.

Give it another chance. I think if you don't mind sitting in the bar area, you can get in quicker.
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #19
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 588
Thanked 1,137 Times in 778 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
Then youíre not understanding the difference.
I am asking the restaurants to take reservations and noting which ones I do support.

Do you also choose which businesses you support?
Does this make you entitled? No.

Others are trying to force change.
Iím making a request, understanding that the restaurants have free will.

Iím sure you can understand the difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I guess Flying and I are just too dumb to understand.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 08:38 AM   #20
AC2717
Senior Member
 
AC2717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maynard, MA & Paugus Bay
Posts: 2,404
Thanks: 703
Thanked 319 Times in 240 Posts
Default

what are restaurants supposed to do:
reserve sections for residents vs non residents?
so the place is packed when you want to go or when you call or drive up
isn't that a good thing, helps sustain the restaurant during the non busy season so you can go there then?

I don't get it gripe.
__________________
Capt. of the "No Worries"
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #21
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
what are restaurants supposed to do:
reserve sections for residents vs non residents?
so the place is packed when you want to go or when you call or drive up
isn't that a good thing, helps sustain the restaurant during the non busy season so you can go there then?

I don't get it gripe.
I don't think they should reserve a section for residents vs non.
This would be kind of elitist and difficult to track.

I'm just noting that a few restaurants, including O's, have successfully launched a deposit based reservation system. It works well: People who aren't serious won't reserve, but if you know you are going to show, pay the deposit.

They get my business as a result of this. If others want to do the same, I'll frequent their establishment, too.

O's, Ellacoya and Dockside all do a good job of this. Only O's requires a deposit, but that's fine with me. I can book it and know it's a lock...
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeDad For This Useful Post:
CubRun (09-20-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #22
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 440
Thanks: 5
Thanked 155 Times in 76 Posts
Default deposit based reservation system

Love the idea! Separate the wheat from the chaff.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #23
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 85 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Demand pricing. Raise prices when demand is high, lower them when it isn't.
We have done it for years with sales and specials in the retail world.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
CubRun (09-20-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #24
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 939 Times in 589 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
I don't think they should reserve a section for residents vs non.
This would be kind of elitist and difficult to track.

I'm just noting that a few restaurants, including O's, have successfully launched a deposit based reservation system. It works well: People who aren't serious won't reserve, but if you know you are going to show, pay the deposit.

They get my business as a result of this. If others want to do the same, I'll frequent their establishment, too.

O's, Ellacoya and Dockside all do a good job of this. Only O's requires a deposit, but that's fine with me. I can book it and know it's a lock...
We reserved at O's for this coming Saturday, we paid no such deposit. They told us they have 2 seating's for reservations, 5pm and 8pm or you can show up and wait.
Since we have a group of 8, show up and wait wasn't an option esp since their bar isn't very big.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #25
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
We reserved at O's for this coming Saturday, we paid no such deposit. They told us they have 2 seating's for reservations, 5pm and 8pm or you can show up and wait.
Since we have a group of 8, show up and wait wasn't an option esp since their bar isn't very big.
You highlight another issue locals have:
We get visitors. Lots of them. We like to show them the lake and take them out to eat.
If they had a good experience, maybe they'd vacation here.

My last guest had me embarrassed.
August 10th (weekday)
We docked in Wolfeboro.

Wolfetrap was 1:45 wait.
Pavilion takes reservations, but was closed that day (understandable)
El Centenario had an hour and a half wait. We put our name in and continued walking.
Garwoods was closed for a private event
Dockside grille was just slammed
Nolan's had a 2 hour wait.

Most barely answer the phone (or not at all), so we walked around to each, then back to El Centenario. We were finally seated, had our order taken and it was an hour before appetizers showed. We are now 2.5 hours, more like 3, from the time we docked to eat.

It's not a good scene lately, haha!

I did try Wolfetrap 3 times this year, unsuccessfully all the times.
Once, the wait was 1:45. Pass
2nd time, shut down due to a Covid exposure.
3rd time, "We don't know when we can seat you, but at least an hour and a half".

Wolfetrap takes more effort, too: I can't get under the bridge, so I dock at the town docks and walk over there. I'm happy to do it if I can actually get a seat.

Just let me book a darn reservation. My money is good and it's consistent..

And to add insult to injury, Pop's runs for the hills after Labor Day.
Dude, give us a week or two to enjoy it! Glad I got them in early...

Ellacoya: Thank you, we love you, please don't change!
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #26
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 3,049
Thanks: 1,017
Thanked 926 Times in 602 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
You highlight another issue locals have:
We get visitors. Lots of them. We like to show them the lake and take them out to eat.
If they had a good experience, maybe they'd vacation here.

My last guest had me embarrassed.
August 10th (weekday)

We docked in Wolfeboro.

Wolfetrap was 1:45 wait.
Pavilion takes reservations, but was closed that day (understandable)
El Centenario had an hour and a half wait. We put our name in and continued walking.
Garwoods was closed for a private event
Dockside grille was just slammed
Nolan's had a 2 hour wait.

Most barely answer the phone (or not at all), so we walked around to each, then back to El Centenario. We were finally seated, had our order taken and it was an hour before appetizers showed. We are now 2.5 hours, more like 3, from the time we docked to eat.

It's not a good scene lately, haha!

I did try Wolfetrap 3 times this year, unsuccessfully all the times.
Once, the wait was 1:45. Pass
2nd time, shut down due to a Covid exposure.
3rd time, "We don't know when we can seat you, but at least an hour and a half".

Wolfetrap takes more effort, too: I can't get under the bridge, so I dock at the town docks and walk over there. I'm happy to do it if I can actually get a seat.

Just let me book a darn reservation. My money is good and it's consistent..

And to add insult to injury, Pop's runs for the hills after Labor Day.
Dude, give us a week or two to enjoy it! Glad I got them in early...

Ellacoya: Thank you, we love you, please don't change!
I agree it would be nice if seasonal places like Pops, Lukilani, Sawyer’s ect stayed open a weekend or two after Labor Day like Town Docks does.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #27
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I agree it would be nice if seasonal places like Pops, Lukilani, Sawyerís ect stayed open a weekend or two after Labor Day like Town Docks does.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Town Docks is always busy, but I've never waited more than 15 minutes for a table. They seem regularly prepared to handle the volume coming their way.

And absolutely: Staying open at least a couple of weeks into September is a great way to gain loyalty from locals.
It's foolish to shut down the very day seasonal traffic leaves.
"Local business doesn't matter. We'll see you vacationers again next year!"

Don't they know locals tell people where to eat?

This weekend, I'll boat over to Town Docks as a way of thanking them.
I'd go to Wolfetrap, but, you know..
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeDad For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #28
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,553
Thanks: 831
Thanked 667 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
I'd go to Wolfetrap, but, you know..
It's too crowded, nobody goes there anymore...
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
mcdude (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #29
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
It's too crowded, nobody goes there anymore...
I've had ok luck at Garwood this year.
The food is "decent". The menu is limited and a little heavy on sweet chili everything, but it's right on the water and they have their own dock.

If I see it open, sometimes I grab it and go there just to avoid a hassle.
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeDad For This Useful Post:
mcdude (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #30
WinterHarborGuy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Wolfeboro
Posts: 13
Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default Help please

As a 1 1/2 year new resident to Wolfeboro who eats out three times a week, I have a lot of comments on this topic.

But first of all, what is Oís? Is that O bistro?
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #31
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterHarborGuy View Post
As a 1 1/2 year new resident to Wolfeboro who eats out three times a week, I have a lot of comments on this topic.

But first of all, what is O’s? Is that O bistro?
O Steaks & Seafood in Laconia.
The steaks are actually a little bit disappointing but the seafood is good and so is the environment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #32
WinterHarborGuy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Wolfeboro
Posts: 13
Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Thanks. Not familiar with themÖI am 80% eating at Wíboros 6-10 places.
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #33
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterHarborGuy View Post
Thanks. Not familiar with them…I am 80% eating at W’boros 6-10 places.
I’ve never been to O’s bistro but they take reservations and it looks good. I’ll try it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #34
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,672
Thanks: 261
Thanked 1,416 Times in 488 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I agree it would be nice if seasonal places like Pops, Lukilani, Sawyerís ect stayed open a weekend or two after Labor Day like Town Docks does.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Red Hill Dari.......weekends through sept
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #35
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 939 Times in 589 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
O Steaks & Seafood in Laconia.
The steaks are actually a little bit disappointing but the seafood is good and so is the environment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never had a bad steak there in about a dozen visits.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:46 AM   #36
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,672
Thanks: 261
Thanked 1,416 Times in 488 Posts
Default

Dealing with reservations is challenging.
When you don't take them, people dine, leave, the table is cleared and a new party is immediately seated so there is no down time during busy periods and scheduling staff is easy.
Reservations very often show up late.....as much as 1/2 hour in some cases. If that happens several times in a night that restaurant is down several hundred dollars and staff is standing around. People that walk in see empty tables and get angry that they can't be seated
There are also last minute cancelations and no-shows, thus the request for deposits.
People often want to add to number because someone wants to join them. If the reservation is for 6 or 8 there are a limited number of tables and any change is going to affect another party.
Years ago, before deposits came into play a favorite trick was to make a reservation at several restaurants and then decide at the last minute.
All in all it's very stressful on a busy evening and restaurants that take reservations deserve your patience
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-08-2021), camp guy (09-08-2021), FlyingScot (09-08-2021), TheTimeTraveler (09-08-2021), TiltonBB (09-08-2021), tis (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #37
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH
Posts: 5,173
Thanks: 2,719
Thanked 989 Times in 700 Posts
Default Not a problem

Live here and avoid Fridays thru Sunday. Enjoy cooking for a crowd and its a favorite among guests. Lobsters are a favorite and Belmont Shaws had cooked chix lobsters at 9.99 a pound! I'd rather burn the money for boat gas than feed an army at the ridiculous price!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (09-08-2021), MeredithMan (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #38
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 682
Thanks: 191
Thanked 647 Times in 243 Posts
Default totally agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Live here and avoid Fridays thru Sunday. Enjoy cooking for a crowd and its a favorite among guests. Lobsters are a favorite and Belmont Shaws had cooked chix lobsters at 9.99 a pound! I'd rather burn the money for boat gas than feed an army at the ridiculous price!
We don't even bother eating out Memorial Day through Labor Day. In fact, Pandemic aside, we don't eat out nearly as much as we used to. Both the wife and I enjoy cooking and now that our two kids are legal drinking age and eat as adults as well, it's $200+ every time the 4 of us go out to dinner. Ouch..!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #39
baygo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 578
Thanks: 134
Thanked 429 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Itís dormant now due to Covid, but I operated what became a reservations only restaurant four about 11 years here in the lakes region. My reservations were typically about six months out. I knew I arrived when I received a call in July for a reservation in November. It was extremely rare for people not to show up for a reservation however if they didnít I would easily be able to seat the table with walk up traffic.

On the most part our operating system and business model was better suited for reservations. The only downside was that we typically allowed for two hours in between seatings. Occasionally people would get done in an hour and a half and the table would be generating $0 at those moments.

Our Covid pivot has included the emergence of a very popular outside bar. When the day comes for our tavern to re-open I have a feeling we will change our ways and only Take reservations for half the restaurant and the other will be first come first serve. People will be able to wait at the outside bar.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #40
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,003
Thanks: 871
Thanked 1,118 Times in 701 Posts
Default Use it or lose it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Dealing with reservations is challenging.
When you don't take them, people dine, leave, the table is cleared and a new party is immediately seated so there is no down time during busy periods and scheduling staff is easy.
Reservations very often show up late.....as much as 1/2 hour in some cases. If that happens several times in a night that restaurant is down several hundred dollars and staff is standing around. People that walk in see empty tables and get angry that they can't be seated
There are also last minute cancelations and no-shows, thus the request for deposits.
People often want to add to number because someone wants to join them. If the reservation is for 6 or 8 there are a limited number of tables and any change is going to affect another party.
Years ago, before deposits came into play a favorite trick was to make a reservation at several restaurants and then decide at the last minute.
All in all it's very stressful on a busy evening and restaurants that take reservations deserve your patience
The airlines solved this issue years ago. You're not there? Stand by's get your seat. Change of plans? Fine, that will be $25.

For those who go to the same place frequently, we like reservations so we can request to be seated in our favorite staffer's section.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:38 PM   #41
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The airlines solved this issue years ago. You're not there? Stand by's get your seat. Change of plans? Fine, that will be $25.

For those who go to the same place frequently, we like reservations so we can request to be seated in our favorite staffer's section.

You mean so you can support them and tip them well?
You entitled savage!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeDad For This Useful Post:
CubRun (09-20-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #42
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 976
Thanks: 233
Thanked 360 Times in 223 Posts
Default Reservations

Everyone is pretty wound up about this topic, maybe because of the weather, maybe because of COVID-related stress, maybe because of a region-wide lack of help, and maybe because of "who knows why", but the best post on the topic was by SAMIAM explaining some of the problems with reservations. I would venture to say that at some time of a person's life they have probably worked in a restaurant, in some capacity, so with that as a background, try to view some of these issues through the lenses of the industry and maybe, just maybe, some of the vitriol will go away. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, remember, it is only, and just, that - an opinion.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (09-09-2021), tis (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #43
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 588
Thanked 1,137 Times in 778 Posts
Default

I agree. It seems to me I see entitlement and lack of consideration as a huge cause for restaurant issues. I wouldn't dream of being late for a reservation but I know some people make a habit of being late for anything. I know one person who was 2 hours late to her own wedding.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #44
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Itís dormant now due to Covid, but I operated what became a reservations only restaurant four about 11 years here in the lakes region. My reservations were typically about six months out. I knew I arrived when I received a call in July for a reservation in November. It was extremely rare for people not to show up for a reservation however if they didnít I would easily be able to seat the table with walk up traffic.

On the most part our operating system and business model was better suited for reservations. The only downside was that we typically allowed for two hours in between seatings. Occasionally people would get done in an hour and a half and the table would be generating $0 at those moments.

Our Covid pivot has included the emergence of a very popular outside bar. When the day comes for our tavern to re-open I have a feeling we will change our ways and only Take reservations for half the restaurant and the other will be first come first serve. People will be able to wait at the outside bar.

Sounds fair to me. This covers all types.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #45
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I agree. It seems to me I see entitlement and lack of consideration as a huge cause for restaurant issues. I wouldn't dream of being late for a reservation but I know some people make a habit of being late for anything. I know one person who was 2 hours late to her own wedding.

To preface this response, none of this is THAT serious.
Itís just eating out.

And isnít entitlement. Itís preference, customer service and choosing where one spends money.

Many restaurants can handle it, so they get my business, positive reviews, and recommendation.

Reservations work, but they take work.

And on that very note, I could argue that some of the restaurants are entitled:
ďWe donít need to accommodate. Theyíll line up at the door anyway.Ē

I observe this and choose not to support those types of restaurants when the season slows..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #46
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Good review time!
I made a reservation for Oís Bistro this week and it was good: The hostess, server (Kimberly) and food were all great!

Iím always underwhelmed by the steaks from this restaurant group but everything else is above average.
Try the mushroom risotto.

Pavilion is next on the list to try. Any recommendations?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #47
hockeypuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CT
Posts: 169
Thanks: 19
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Restaurantss are too busy.

Letís think a minute. In these COVID times restaurants are caught between a rock and a very hard space. Social spacing reduces seating, sanitizing everything takes time and money, not enough people willing to work, those that do can demand higher wages. Higher prices may hurt business. As things open up some customers just want everything back to normal and have a short fuse when wait times are longer and service may be a bit slower. Most restaurants need the tourists during the busy season to stay in business, make a profit and need the locals year round to pay the bills. There may be difficulties making a reservation or the line may be long, it doesnít mean they are crowded. If you have a favorite restaurant (s) show some patience and try to work with them so that your favorite(s) will be there when normal returns.
Yogi..ĒNobody goes there anymore, itís too crowded.Ē
Hockey puckÖĒNobody goes there anymore, ITíS CLOSED!Ē
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hockeypuck For This Useful Post:
Dinooo1 (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #48
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 85 Times in 76 Posts
Default

I think this is less a covid issue than a structural issue.

Regardless of covid, this issue is going to be with us for a long time.

https://www.sentinelsource.com/news/...4c486a2e3.html

''As the population changes, so do the demands for housing and municipal services.

Waterville Valley used to have major fluctuations in population depending on the season.

But in recent years, many families have converted their vacation homes into permanent residences. Daily demands on water, sewer, and trash facilities are up, even though the tax base has remained about the same.

Town manager Mark Decoteau assumed this would be a one-year spike. But enrollment numbers for the upcoming school year suggest most of these families are staying.

ďWe were wondering how much this would continue, and weíre starting to get answers to that. Weíve added 7% to our population this year [2021],Ē he says. ďThe growth hasnít stopped and I donít think as many people as we thought are going back.Ē

Growth of permanent residents is also significant in the vacation towns of Jackson, Sugar Hill, and Moultonborough.''

This came from NPR... but is borne out by the amount of building in those areas. Higher demand on municipal and county services generally result in budget expenditures... and those higher taxes result in it being even harder for the working class to find housing.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #49
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,590
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 244
Thanked 794 Times in 566 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I think this is less a covid issue than a structural issue.

Regardless of covid, this issue is going to be with us for a long time.

https://www.sentinelsource.com/news/...4c486a2e3.html

''As the population changes, so do the demands for housing and municipal services.

Waterville Valley used to have major fluctuations in population depending on the season.

But in recent years, many families have converted their vacation homes into permanent residences. Daily demands on water, sewer, and trash facilities are up, even though the tax base has remained about the same.

Town manager Mark Decoteau assumed this would be a one-year spike. But enrollment numbers for the upcoming school year suggest most of these families are staying.

“We were wondering how much this would continue, and we’re starting to get answers to that. We’ve added 7% to our population this year [2021],” he says. “The growth hasn’t stopped and I don’t think as many people as we thought are going back.”

Growth of permanent residents is also significant in the vacation towns of Jackson, Sugar Hill, and Moultonborough.''

This came from NPR... but is borne out by the amount of building in those areas. Higher demand on municipal and county services generally result in budget expenditures... and those higher taxes result in it being even harder for the working class to find housing.
Within the last year or two the N.H. legislature passed a bill naming the road into Waterville Valley, Route 49 in honor of Town Manager Mark Decoteau's late son Marc P. Decoteau and there's two small, dark military blue memorial signs for him spaced about seven miles apart as you travel Route 49.

Something to look for and think about on your next drive into Waterville Valley, 'the town at the end of the road':

http://www.runforthefallennh.com/arm...-decoteau.html

One sign is at the Thornton-Waterville Valley town line, and the other sign is at the corner of Tripoli Rd, ski area corner, and Route 49.
__________________
.... age-70 & suffering terrible chronic tinnitus ... omg!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #50
winniwannabe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 74
Thanks: 66
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Recently went to Patrick's Pub w/ a party of 7 and we had excellent service. Made reservations and arrived on time. I think some folks want immediate
gratification when they arrive, and that's not the case. I hope the restaur-
ants bounce back next year to accommodate all who dine out without any
bickering or entitlement issues.
winniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:37 PM   #51
LakeDad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniwannabe View Post
Recently went to Patrick's Pub w/ a party of 7 and we had excellent service. Made reservations and arrived on time. I think some folks want immediate
gratification when they arrive, and that's not the case. I hope the restaur-
ants bounce back next year to accommodate all who dine out without any
bickering or entitlement issues.

No one wants immediate gratification. Donít misrepresent my/our position like that.

Did you note that you had a *reservation* at Patrickís?
And it was a great experience?

You just showed the point of this post.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:50 PM   #52
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 85 Times in 76 Posts
Default

I think they were referencing after being seated on the immediate gratification.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.56062 seconds