Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Dead Fish

So I don't know about anyone else, but I have been seeing a great deal of dead fish floating around the lake. Not an alarming number, but also far more then I have seen in years pass. Sure I am used to see one or two a summer. But this year already I have seen at least one dead fish floating somewhere on the lake, every time I take the boat out.

To me this indicates that something is going on in the lakes eco system. The question is what, and how bad is it.

Have other people had the same experience this year seeing more fish floating dead, then in years past?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I've only seen a couple of them and of all the dead fish I have seen, all are warm water species such as bass or perch. Hard to say what causes it to occur but if the problem were the lake itself I would expect to see a massive number of dead fish, not just a few. Plus as much as that lake is monitored, I'd expect that any problems that are detected would be quickly made public and with any luck the type that could be corrected.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Early in the season there are a lot of dead fish. I am told that the females have eggs and they are bloated and can't hold themselves down so many of them die. I have tried to help them sink but it doesn't work.

Just an idea. You may be seeing something else.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
DRH

We've noticed no sign of this along our shoreline in West Alton.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Saw two out by Rum Pt

We went for a ride tonight and as we were heading back in to Alton, we passed Rum Pt and about a half mile east saw two fish floating on the surface. I didn't stop to look at them, but they were pretty good size.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
ApS

Angry Wasting a Vital Resource...IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So I don't know about anyone else, but I have been seeing a great deal of dead fish floating around the lake.
I have as well, it may be a "seasonal" thing—and just might have received a clue two days ago.

A string of eight fish floated up—all were dead...but one. I attempted a "flowing-water-resuscitation", but that fish eventually expired overnight. Most were in the range of 2 to 4 pounds.

Whoever caught each White Perch, Smallmouth Bass and Catfish had removed them from each monofilament leader and strung them on a blue stringer. (Meaning, each fish had swallowed the bait, and lastly, the fisherman had failed to secure the entire stringer).

Not wanting to make the long hike to Town or inviting unwanted critters, I allowed the dead fish to float away—that is—excepting one dead fish that was nabbed by a passing weasel, just four feet away . He kept his eyes on me, and dragged the fish under some shoreline roots—disappearing entirely with his "catch". A neighbor tells me he saw an entire family of mink the same day. Mother Nature doesn't allow any waste.

My conclusion?

All these dead fish—this early in the tourist season—are the result of inexperienced "Fourth-of-July-Fishermen", who don't appreciate the responsible handling of their catch.

ETA:

My neighbor just told me that he found a second blue stringer—this time, with four dead fish on it! Following my practice, he also "released" them.

Last edited by ApS; 07-07-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: More Dead Fish on a Stringer!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #7
Jeanzb1

We're in West Alton, and I, too, scooped up two dead fish one day last week, and my husband scooped up another.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
Sal

Any sign of trauma on the dead fish? Could be "catch and release" deaths or eagle catch and accidentally drop cases.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
HUH

Default Fishing

Most fishemen practice catch and release. Also fishing nests during spawn is back in vogue
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
sa meredith

Default Same deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
We're in West Alton, and I, too, scooped up two dead fish one day last week, and my husband scooped up another.
Interesting...I've been going to the West Alton sand bar for several years. And last week...I think July 6 or 7...saw a dead fish come floating by. First time we have ever seen that over there. Never gave it a second thought until I read this thread.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
donnamatrix

Default Why the dead fish?

Except for Acres Per Second's comments about fish on stringers - I questioned Fish & Game about this issue at beginning of season (May) and this is response from John Viar:

Yes, this is a very common, annual spring phenomenon in many classic locations throughout Winnipesaukee (e.g. Blackey's Cove, Fish Cove, Salmon Meadow Cove, Melvin River/Bay, 20 Mile and 19 Mile Bays, etc.); these are actually very large white perch in a pre-spawn phase (they are commonly mistaken for bass due to their large size and generally similar shape). Loss of swim bladder function in some relatively large individuals is not uncommon, due to the heavy loads of sperm and eggs - this leads to the behavior witnessed, the half-bobbing, half-diving, then eventually death.

Indeed, scavengers reap the benefits; we humans also are well tuned-in with the "white perch run"; locally very popular among anglers - for every dying white perch with swim bladder issues, there are many more below that anglers enjoy catching this time of year (excellent eating species). Enough fertilized eggs make it each year to perpetuate the species.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
CateP (07-15-2011), ishoot308 (07-15-2011), LIforrelaxin (07-26-2011), Pepper (07-15-2011), trfour (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
tis

I have always heard that and didn't know if was true. I hesitated to post that above because it was only hearsay. Now we have heard from an expert and I am so glad to know it is. Thanks for finding that out, donnamatrix.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-26-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
olimec

Default dead fish

I think there's just something very funky about the water this year, I dont know if its the sudden extended heat or what but not only am I seeing an increased number of dead fish at our dock on black cat but we've had a dead duck, snake and my husband has had duck itch somewhere on his lower extremities since end of June. Talked to a friend who swam in paugus bay over this weekend and had to rush her young grandaughter home to remove leaches. I'm freaked out and have been very picky about where on the lake I swim these days.
Went to braun bay thurs and was not comfortable. YIKES
olimec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Jeanzb1

In the past four days I have scooped up three more dead fish that were floating near our dock. Also, wicked duck itch this year and last year we hardly had it at all. ???????
Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #15
Meredith lady

Default dead fish

3 dead fish on the shoreline on Waukewan yesterday-good size and no trauma noticed
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
Jeanzb1

Right after the thunderstorms earlier this evening we noticed not only tremendous erosion on a homeowner's beach but an approx. 20' x 20' patch of thick white "foam" on the surface of the water right next to the sandy beach. What on earth could it be from????? We decided that we would call the DEP first thing in the morning and have them come out (hopefully) and take a water sample, but within the following hour it swirled around and around and finally dissipated. We've never seen this occurrence before.
Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
Convertible Girl

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimec View Post
I think there's just something very funky about the water this year, I dont know if its the sudden extended heat or what but not only am I seeing an increased number of dead fish at our dock on black cat but we've had a dead duck, snake and my husband has had duck itch somewhere on his lower extremities since end of June. Talked to a friend who swam in paugus bay over this weekend and had to rush her young grandaughter home to remove leaches. I'm freaked out and have been very picky about where on the lake I swim these days.
Went to braun bay thurs and was not comfortable. YIKES
I haven't seen any dead fish (ash cove) but I have been to Braun Bay every weekend and have not seen nor had a problem, just my experience
Convertible Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
DRH

We found our first dead fish this morning. I noticed a distinctive foul order when walking along our rocky shoreline this morning and when I investigated I found a large (4 - 5 pound) dead bass that was wedged in among the rocks of our shoreline. The fish's corpse was too decomposed and stinky to get close enough to try to determine its cause of death. I picked it up with our doggy "pooper-scooper" and deposited it way back in the woods across the road from our house. While doing so I wondered "how come I've never caught a live bass this big?"!!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #19
ApS

Wink "Foam" Not Likely to Harm Fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
Right after the thunderstorms earlier this evening we noticed not only tremendous erosion on a homeowner's beach but an approx. 20' x 20' patch of thick white "foam" on the surface of the water right next to the sandy beach. What on earth could it be from????? We decided that we would call the DEP first thing in the morning and have them come out (hopefully) and take a water sample, but within the following hour it swirled around and around and finally dissipated. We've never seen this occurrence before.
Any ideas?
1) "Swirling around and around" is what rafting trip organizers point to, as they conduct tours down the Colorado River.

Quote:
"The Solution to Pollution is Dilution".
2) I've added a few yards of delivered "sand" to a beach—but not here. The foam appeared immediately on contact with the water. I can only guess that the "sand" was impure, and contained a portion of a fine "loamy" substance.

3) You're lucky to have a small washout. A giant "wash-out" occurred near me—years ago. It "took out" a long driveway and part of a leaching field. The lake's water turned cloudy across several hundred feet of lakefront lots.

You may see an increase in dark "silt" in your location; otherwise, fish seem to thrive in what appears to be the worst of water quality.
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #20
Jeanzb1

I think I agree with Olimec's post about there being "something funky about the water this year." Why this year and what has changed? I saw one of the Town of Gilford's lifeguards yesterday at CVS and got chatting with her, and she said that duck itch is worse than ever, as is the case with swimmer's ear. Plus, all the dead fish that we've never seen before......
hmmmm.......
Old 07-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
Jeanzb1

Actually, several neighbors have talked about this "foam," and our concensus is that it was soap suds. Up in his driveway the homeowner was scrubbing his boat before launching it just a few hours before the storm. So one possibility is that all the soap residue was agitated by the sudden downpour, and it ran down his yard and into the water.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
tis

I have seen that stuff before, it does look like soap suds. I don't believe it is though, never really did figure out what it is.