Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Bob House Requirements/Fines

There's been a lot of threads posted about bob houses, trash, etc. left behind or fallen through the ice but I've not seen much in the way of whether or not there are requirements for identification and accompanying fines, etc.

Would somebody summarize or point me in the right direction?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Would somebody summarize or point me in the right direction?

Google? Search? This has been discussed MANY times here.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Google? Search? This has been discussed MANY times here.
Thanks for your help!
Like I said, I've seen small tidbits here and there, but can't find a single summary. What I found on Google were stories about bob houses or old guides (2010 or so).

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Hillcountry

The only ID required by Fish and Game is the owner's name and address on the shack and 12 sq in of reflective tape/material per side and that it be off the ice by April 1st.
I don't think they have the resources to "police" a particular bob house and the presence or absence of debris left behind.
It is common practice, however for (some) house owners to leave behind "anchors" used to secure houses to the ice...these are usually short lengths of 2x2 or 2x4 with a rope tied to it frozen in the ice. They are left behind because lots of guys "bounce" their houses to different spots during the season. By the same token, Not all house owners move their shacks.
I tried to retrieve all of my anchors used this season (on Newfound).

The amount of debris left behind is most commonly, tied to the amount of time the owner had to get his house off a lake. With quickly, degrading ice you sometimes have only hours to get it off and an owner might be unable to retrieve all of his debris without endangering himself.

It's an ever challenging task if you are not "watching" conditions closely at crunch time.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanks, Hillcountry. The 2x4s you reference that get frozen must be some of what I see/pick up in spring. There's gotta be a better way than having an almost guaranteed amount of wood--pressure treated?--falling into the lake?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Thanks, Hillcountry. The 2x4s you reference that get frozen must be some of what I see/pick up in spring. There's gotta be a better way than having an almost guaranteed amount of wood--pressure treated?--falling into the lake?

Most do not use pressure treated as they tend to use the cheapest stuff available. However there is no law against using any type of wood you may have hanging around which indeed might be from a mongrel, scrap pile.

Ultimately, it's up to an individual to take off what they bring on...we all know how that goes, unfortunately.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
The only ID required by Fish and Game is the owner's name and address on the shack and 12 sq in of reflective tape/material per side and that it be off the ice by April 1st.
I don't think they have the resources to "police" a particular bob house and the presence or absence of debris left behind.
It is common practice, however for (some) house owners to leave behind "anchors" used to secure houses to the ice...these are usually short lengths of 2x2 or 2x4 with a rope tied to it frozen in the ice. They are left behind because lots of guys "bounce" their houses to different spots during the season. By the same token, Not all house owners move their shacks.
I tried to retrieve all of my anchors used this season (on Newfound).

The amount of debris left behind is most commonly, tied to the amount of time the owner had to get his house off a lake. With quickly, degrading ice you sometimes have only hours to get it off and an owner might be unable to retrieve all of his debris without endangering himself.

It's an ever challenging task if you are not "watching" conditions closely at crunch time.
I have always believed in taking out whatever you bring in. Whether it be ice fishing, backpacking, boating or a picnic. Poor planning is not an excuse for leaving debris/trash for someone else to deal with. Those scraps of wood can cause someone a lot of problems come boating season.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (03-27-2017), garysanfran (03-26-2017), GTO (03-27-2017), pondguy (03-27-2017), trfour (03-27-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:21 AM   #8
SAB1

I don't think you need to worry about the scraps used for anchors causing you problems with your boat. Like above these are small pieces of wood and by in large off the water with first good blow the lake stirs up. Guys have been anchoring Bob houses like this likely since before we were born. If the scraps were an issue it would have been addressed by regulation before now.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I don't think you need to worry about the scraps used for anchors causing you problems with your boat. Like above these are small pieces of wood and by in large off the water with first good blow the lake stirs up. Guys have been anchoring Bob houses like this likely since before we were born. If the scraps were an issue it would have been addressed by regulation before now.
Last spring I pulled a few decent-sized boards out that would've done major damage to my prop. Sure, could be from docks, but my point is its best to seek ways to prevent ANY foreign matter from entering the lake.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-28-2017)