Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
mishman

Default Delta Dental double whammy

I have been a Delta Dental customer for years and years but their latest actions to raise our rates (we buy from them as individuals now) and reduce reimbursement to our dentist is just too much to take. Their actions have caused controversy in MA and now NH. I was faced with a 30% premium increase and far more out of pocket payments for preventative care (semi annual cleanings, X-rays and exam).

I started to explore options with the help of an insurance broker who was a tremendous help to me with supplemental Medicare and Part D (Health Plan One Kevin Woosley │ Sales Supervisor
p. 877-581-5373 ext. 632 │ f. 855-844-5679
kwoosley@healthplanone.com). He suggested that I look at Spirit Dental. Their premiums were half that of Delta Dental and reimbursements covered all my preventative (three cleanings a year fully paid for vs two partially paid for by Delta). It was as near a no brainer as there is.

Just wanted others to know that are getting squeezed by Delta Dental that there is an alternative out there. And I can vouch for Kevin Woosley as someone very knowledgeable about Medicare Supp and Part D plans for rural NH (as well as across the country).
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
Flylady (03-28-2017), SteveO123 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Delta Dental

I get my Delta Dental plan through my former employer from COBRA.
I have seen noticeable increases as well as co-pay.

If you have the right dentist, the receptionist can weigh between what Medicare/supplemental will pay and what Delta Dental will pay. That is what I choose.

Please see Servicelink for additional information on any insurance.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

My wife's dentist only accepts Delta Dental. Anything else is self pay. Hopefully, Spirit Dental, if necessary because of non-acceptance, will reimburse patients quickly and without a lot of added paperwork.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
Kamper

If you have insurance, the main factor in your costs is how much your employer is will to pay for their group policy. You may have the option to get the Deluxe Plan by having more deducted from your paycheck instead.

These opportunities are going away but when you do your next renewal, look for that option. In the long run it may be cheaper for you.

Good Luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
upthesaukee

My wife is on a single person, vs group, plan. She has been in the medical and dental field for many years. She said or premiums only went up a couple of dollars per month.
Her dentist was a participant with Delta Dental. There is also a preferred provider participant. Her dentist just took in a new dentist who is a preferred provider, and what Delta pays now is more than what they did pay. That may be some of the difference.
As in all medical and dental decisions, due diligence is all important.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
wifi

Currently full time employed with Delta, not their premium plan. I have lots of "work" head of me before I retire. Interesting info going forward, thanks !
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
bigdog

On this same Dental discussion....

I will be retiring at end of year.....

What are retired folks using to manage their dental care ?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
... I have lots of "work" head of me before I retire. ...
I went years without dental but I knew I had an issue so I signed up. It looked like some things would need follow-up so I never let it lapse. The coverge when I finally got my wisdom teeth removed 4 or so years ago, made up for all the premiums to date.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
phoenix

I just switched to met life for dental as a retiree. So far so good they cover real stuff and didn't have a waiting period for major items
bigdog (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
mishman

Default Follow up

I provide this only to be useful to others who are retired, no longer on a group dental plan and subjected to the whims of the individual market for dental insurance. MetLife, while getting high marks, does not sell to individuals for dental, only groups. Spirit Dental, which I ended up subscribing to for individual coverage for my wife and me, does not maintain a network but does everything by zip code - in Moultonborough we are in zone five. This dictates reimbursement amounts.
The net difference for me and my wife was the following: Delta Dental $126 (up from $94 in 2015) with lower reimbursements for preventative care and other charges (therefor more out of pocket).
Spirit Dental $108/month for the two of us, but all preventative (inc and extra cleaning a year - 3 vs 2 for Delta) covered plus no out of pockets for preventative. It was a no brainer for us to switch and our dentist's insurance person confirmed this.

Now if you get Delta on a group plan, the numbers will be different but Delta is going up as they move from a non profit to a profit company so beware!
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
ITD

Every time I have looked at dental coverage, the premiums versus copay and service limits made it not worth it. In fact when I had a company, the employees requested dental, so we sat down and reviewed it, same issue, premiums paid versus payout didn't make sense. I told them I would pay for the insurance, or give them the equivalent of the premiums in their paychecks so they could apply that toward their dental bills. They took the cash.

The best dental insurance is to go to the dentist every 6 months and fix the things he/she tells you to fix when they tell you to fix them.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I get my Delta Dental plan through my former employer from COBRA.
I have seen noticeable increases as well as co-pay.

If you have the right dentist, the receptionist can weigh between what Medicare/supplemental will pay and what Delta Dental will pay. That is what I choose.

Please see Servicelink for additional information on any insurance.
Medicare does not provide dental coverage except for some in hospital service.

Medicare doesn't cover most dental care, dental procedures, or supplies, like cleanings, fillings, tooth extractions, dentures, dental plates, or other dental devices. Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) will pay for certain dental services that you get when you're in a hospital.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #13
uglytunasaloona

Default New to Medicare 4/1

I start the whole medicare thing on 4/1. I've got Medicare Part A and B ($134), Humana Gold HMO ($32), Cigna Dental 1000 ($40), and VSP STD ($13.61). Cigna dental seems a bit high but I've been with them for a long time, happy with the way it works and my teeth are a mess. We'll see how it all works. Hopefully switching to new plans won't be difficult during the open enrollment if I'm not happy with any of them.
uglytunasaloona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #14
itchin for fishin

Dental "insurance" is not insurance at all. If you add up the costs you pay for premiums versus what you would pay out of pocket over a period of time, you would see it makes no sense. On top of that, do you want insurance companies dictating your health. Delta Dental is changing moving to the PPO plan that you will see decreased level of care. ITD has it right when he says work hard on prevention with your dentist and you will spend less and be healthier.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #15
wifi

My dentist is honoring Delta's max cost on a procedure, even tho I have used up my allotment of coverage this year. Otherwise I would be charged the max going rate, I will see some advantage.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Max going rate.

Is humongous! Ask to see a bill without insurance coverage and with. Big difference.

The LRGH Dental is something else. If you pay cash up front for procedures, they will give you a 30% discount. If you pay with insurance they will pay the max amount insurance will allow. Otherwise, you're out of luck!